2017 Gear

Comments

• inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Dinyull wrote:
    Heard Frieb on the podcast saying Martin was very keen to get on a Canyon bike, which was a big factor in him moving to Katusha.

Did they elaborate?

Is it because Canyon wanted a name German on their bikes/Martin wanted the dosh from being their face or because the TT bike is quick?

No no, Tony wanted to ride the bike because it was quick/suites his old position.

Friebe noted the increase across the board in TT times with Katusha & Movistar when they started riding them.

Or whan they started using Simon Smart and his wind tunnel.....
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Dinyull wrote:
    Cool. Always liked TM, nice to see him not chasing the money (although well compensated I'm sure).
    Still can't get used to him in that kit!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Ridgerider wrote:
    Ridgerider wrote:
    The on-bike lubing seems to be a solution searching for a problem to fix, esp. with regards to Pro bikes.
    It's going on the list with tubs ....... stuff that will never be found on any of my bikes!

Then you are missing out my man. Why the refusal to use/try them?

1. I can't afford to buy every new bit of stuff that comes out.
    2. You can fettle old stuff; new stuff tends to remove that joyous opportunity.
    3. If I can see that an item will do something significantly better than what I currently have, then it might go on my next birthday list.

Sorry - we are talking about the same tubs, yah? The tyre things you tape/glue on? New?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    img_5672-1486725977045-1nrfuqodawgbn-1890-80.jpg
    Gorgeous!
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    £9999
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    M.R.M. wrote:
    img_5672-1486725977045-1nrfuqodawgbn-1890-80.jpg
    Gorgeous!

Now that is a thing of beauty.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    That is a really good looking bike.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Saw the gold and black limited master a few years back in the flesh and nearly sold a child to fund one! Reckon this may even top that.

Do the limited ones hold their money as a collectible?
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • pinno
    Saw the gold and black limited master a few years back in the flesh and nearly sold a child to fund one! Reckon this may even top that.

Do the limited ones hold their money as a collectible?

An 'Arabesque' sold for $7700 on ebay: (scroll down)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Colnago-Ar ... 7675.l2557

s-l1600.jpg
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Is it me or are castelli jerseys, unlike assos or rapha, tend to be more designed for upright humans? Looking at new Team Sky photos, they look fine when standing up, but there is quite a bit of bunching and creasing around armpits and front shoulder area when on the bike.
    I hope i am not getting 'old days were better' kind of nostalgia about rapha.
  • pinno
    Sounds like you are really. Seek help and some anti-wrinkle cream.

FWIW, my Castelli sits fine on me.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    mamil314 wrote:
    Is it me or are castelli jerseys, unlike assos or rapha, tend to be more designed for upright humans? Looking at new Team Sky photos, they look fine when standing up, but there is quite a bit of bunching and creasing around armpits and front shoulder area when on the bike.
    I hope i am not getting 'old days were better' kind of nostalgia about rapha.

Wasn't the case with team cannondale last year.

Maybe the fitters haven't been around yet.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    It might just be me. Gabba and Espresso jacket are wrinkling due to my weight loss and i started seeing that everywhere!
  • rick_chasey
    mamil314 wrote:
    It might just be me. Gabba and Espresso jacket are wrinkling due to my weight loss and i started seeing that everywhere!

Us mere mortals don't get the advantage of tailor made kit.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Rapha's the best fitting kit, really. They've nailed the "get tucked" tailoring.

I just landed some Ale and Sportful samples and I'm keen to see how they feel on the bike. Really hoping they impress because the styling is a refreshing change.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Not sure if it's been in here, not been able to follow due to tour.

New Kask Helmet.

Looks like a New version of the Protone.

C5V_XQnXUAEAfJZ.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Rapha's the best fitting kit, really. They've nailed the "get tucked" tailoring.

I just landed some Ale and Sportful samples and I'm keen to see how they feel on the bike. Really hoping they impress because the styling is a refreshing change.

Any feedback?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 wrote:

Any feedback?

Yes. :)

Sportful. I have the Fiandre kit - so the sleeved gilet thingy, designed to be worn over a jersey and the bibs with the extra protection over the pad. The jersey fits really well and I'll keep it. The bib shorts are the same size, but they feel like they'll be too tight over the shoulders (I need to do a longer ride to see if I can live with them) even in a riding position.

Ale. At a glance and at a feel, the jersey isn't particularly groundbreaking. But it fits beautifully. The bibs are the same size and also fit well - and they're really nice quality. Again, I need to do a longer ride to test the pad, but the straps are about right.

For me, this is how it should be: ranges within brands should fit the same; jersey to bibs to jackets. For example, Rapha. In the Classic and less racy kit, I actually wear a small. In the Pro stuff, I wear medium. So, yes, there's a variance there, but the variance is consistent throughout the ranges. Makes ordering online easy (although the store is just down the road), but also gives confidence that quality is being properly taken care of and that proper thought is being put in.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    The Colombian champion's jersey - rarely seen in the WT peloton. Debuts on Sunday.

C6BGgG3WAAAWHht.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    They really pushed the design envelope with that one.
  • RichN95.
    C6CObU1WcAALmrR.jpg
  • RichN95 wrote:
    C6CObU1WcAALmrR.jpg

Nice :)
  • Ben6899
    andyp wrote:
    They really pushed the design envelope with that one.

Not sure what you expected. You'll see from the photograph though, that it was well-judged.

Absolutely class jersey.
    Ben

• sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Looks good but once again it's not a complete band around the jersey. Not sure on rules on national
    Jerseys, but for world champs it should go all the way round
  • RichN95.
    sherer wrote:
    Looks good but once again it's not a complete band around the jersey. Not sure on rules on national
    Jerseys, but for world champs it should go all the way round
    Well this is the one the Colombians gave him on the podium

Nieuws_Colombia_27022017_Sergio_Henao-250x290.jpg
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Guess the tradition / commercial consideration argument
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    As long as it's not worn with white shorts, it's all good
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • pinno
    RichN95 wrote:
    The Colombian champion's jersey - rarely seen in the WT peloton. Debuts on Sunday.

I guess that's down to the SKY marketing machine and perhaps a little ego boosting on top.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Team Giant Castelli from Denmark
    Great looking kit
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    edited March 2017
    Pinno wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

I guess that's down to the SKY marketing machine and perhaps a little ego boosting on top.

none of the Colombian road race winners have been in WT teams recently - some Team Colombia and some lower teams. Surprising that none of the big names from Colombia recently have won - Darwin Attapuma is an ex-champion but it was before he was with a pro-team. Clash with opening of season and small multi-stage tours that climbers have a chance at?