2017 Gear

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    Paul 8v wrote:
    He's had some cracking wins to be fair

No doubt about that. I do like the guy. I wonder if he's riding the Giro this year. I doubt he'll get a TdF place but you never know what DD's plans are.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    Pinno wrote:
    No doubt about that. I do like the guy. I wonder if he's riding the Giro this year. I doubt he'll get a TdF place but you never know what DD's plans are.

Given he's won stages in the past two Tours, I'd have thought he's one of the first names on the TdF roster.
  • pinno
    Hmm...but pick your 9 to go out of this lot, there's some good riders in there.

Igor Antón (ESP)
    Natnael Berhane (ERI)
    Edvald Boasson Hagen (NOR)
    Mark Cavendish (GBR)
    Steve Cummings (GBR)
    Mekseb Debesay (ERI)
    Nicolas Dougall (RSA)
    Bernhard Eisel (AUT)
    Tyler Farrar (USA)
    Omar Fraile (ESP)
    Ryan Gibbons (RSA)
    Nathan Haas (AUS)
    Jacques Janse van Rensburg (RSA)
    Reinardt Janse van Rensburg (RSA)
    Ben King (USA)
    Merhawi Kudus (ERI)
    Lachlan Morton (AUS)
    Adrien Niyonshuti (RWA)
    Ben O'Connor (AUS)
    Serge Pauwels (BEL)
    Youcef Reguigui (ALG)
    Mark Renshaw (AUS)
    Kristian Sbaragli (ITA)
    Daniel Teklehaimanot (ERI)
    Jay Thomson (RSA)
    Scott Thwaites (GBR)
    Johann van Zyl (RSA)
    Jaco Venter (RSA)

Is his chances of bagging a stage win better in the Giro or the TdF? I presume DD would look for stage wins for Cav and i'm not sure where Cummings would fit in with that. So going on a last ditch breakaway's won't be in the lead out train plans.
    Just thinking like...
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    dish_dash wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    MrB123 wrote:
    Apologies if it has been said already, but may I say that Astana look a million times better this year with black shorts.
    I keep thinking they're Gazprom though

They look good. But it's terrible branding for Astana/Expo whatever. You can't see any detail on who they are sponsored by.

BMC on the other hand have got it spot on. Black shorts with a very visible white BMC on the ars*... which in my view is the best sponsorship position in the peloton (unless you're going to win all the time).
    j

Agree. When they were first formed they had the sun and steppe eagle on the jersey. Now the sun and eagle went the other year, and now they don't even have their own national colours on the shorts.

Have their winter kit from last year, great if you want to make sure you are seen.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Pinno wrote:
    Hmm...but pick your 9 to go out of this lot, there's some good riders in there.

//

Is his chances of bagging a stage win better in the Giro or the TdF? I presume DD would look for stage wins for Cav and i'm not sure where Cummings would fit in with that. So going on a last ditch breakaway's won't be in the lead out train plans.
    Just thinking like...

Whilst he is the best in the business at the mad breakaway stage win (Bastille Day at TdF) he is also an incredibly strong time trialler who has always seemed keen to work for the team and has great road craft - he has the out and out power to lead a train and keep it safe from being swamped for a vital km or two before the punchy leadout men takeover for final corners/run in. I hadn't really thought about the depth of talent in DD (still a few too many gaps but better than expected) till I read your roster - but I still think Stevo will be pretty much first on the list - ok Second after Cav
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Cannot believe you think that Astana kit is an improvement.

Looks like a Sunday club kit.
  • pinno
    imatfaal wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Hmm...but..like...

Whilst he is the best in the business at the mad breakaway stage win (Bastille Day at TdF) he is also an incredibly strong time trialler who has always seemed keen to work for the team and has great road craft - he has the out and out power to lead a train and keep it safe from being swamped for a vital km or two before the punchy leadout men takeover for final corners/run in. I hadn't really thought about the depth of talent in DD (still a few too many gaps but better than expected) till I read your roster - but I still think Stevo will be pretty much first on the list - ok Second after Cav

You're not still going on about the Astana kit Rick? :roll:

I never considered Cummings as a lead out man, think you're right. He's got some experience in that capacity. Rensburg is another lead out man. They have got 'crash happy' Farrar and they also have Renshaw. We shall see. I was simply looking from the perspective of stage wins for Cummings. I've enjoyed every single one of them. Lead out train man for Cav won't allow for that.
    Renshaw and Farrar on he same squad, funny that:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/rac ... race-58967

Anyway, it puts to bed the notion that his aris is a prime advertising spot as he 'loiters at the back of the peloton'.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    /\ don't forget Eisel too
  • pinno
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    /\ don't forget Eisel too

Yeah, he can smash through barriers single handedly.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Nice to see this thread being on point and discussing only pro team gear.
  • kleinstroker
    Allied bikes

allied-echo---1-1488995618067-hir5r1x9xx58-1200-80.jpg

Allied-Alfa-5.jpg
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Paints job are tasty. Very Klein.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725

Now THAT is a very nice looking bike.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • pinno

To be fair, the thread went a bit dry. We no longer have FF posting unlimited pics.

Yep, nice paint jobs on the Allied(s).
  • kleinstroker
    Pinno wrote:

To be fair, the thread went a bit dry. We no longer have FF posting unlimited pics.

And every time I posted pics of bikes I got shouted down. Funny old world innit.
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:

And every time I posted pics of bikes I got shouted down. Funny old world innit.

Innit.

In true Gallic style. I bet he's leaning out of his car window (adorned with Contador transfers) shouting 'merde' and other profanities instead.

Soz, gone off topic again.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449

Sorry, but that's bollocks. A handful of posters (but mainly Rick) have complained a little but no-one has shouted you down.
  • imatfaal
    Allied bikes

Allied-Alfa-5.jpg

Nice paintwork but a bit too metallic for my taste - much less convinced with the handlebar wrapping; that's gonna come loose in fairly short order if you spend any time on the tops
  • imatfaal
    Have we had GvA's chromed BMC?
    C7ImRVeXkAA_74Y.jpg
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    That weird seat tube/top tube strut thing on BMCs really ruins them.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    I think BMC have just rebadged a titanium Enigma.
    Half man, Half bike
  • rick_chasey
    imatfaal wrote:
    C7ImRVeXkAA_74Y.jpg

He is Belgian...
  • INPTT
    INPTT Posts: 16
    RichN95 wrote:
    The Colombian champion's jersey - rarely seen in the WT peloton. Debuts on Sunday.

C6BGgG3WAAAWHht.jpg

looks nice, and like every other champion jersey... :lol:
  • teebs_123
    teebs_123 Posts: 357
    imatfaal wrote:
    C7ImRVeXkAA_74Y.jpg

He is Belgian...

It's better than the miserable looking Red team bikes they're using for this year. Personally think they don't show their bikes off to the maximum.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Such dull bikes, BMCs.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rick_chasey
    Here's a question.

If you were going to receive a 2017 WT bike tomorrow, which one would it be?
  • rick_chasey
    Oh, and before any smart arse answers >> you can't sell it.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Probably the UAE C60 for me. I jut love the look of that frame. Red lugs wouldn't be my first choice but a friend has one and I absolutely love it.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    Oh, and before any smart ars* answers >> you can't sell it.

One of the ag2r Factors please.
  • pinno
    Pic 'n' mix: Can I have a cross between the Movistar and the UAE C60 please?