Rio Olympic Track events *Spoilers*

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Germcevoy wrote:
    Poor Chris Boardman catching flack for his "what's for tea comment". People are twats.
    They'd better not watch the cricket on Sky then. David Lloyd makes that joke every session (although it's two male batsmen and men are too stupid to make tea)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    some cheery people on here tonight... #LetItGo
    Finally. My girl.

Good on you Saddles. Thanks to Dear Claire it looks like you may get a wedding invite shortly!

Its so weird to see George North all shy and nervous.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Lots of butthurt Koreans on Cav's Facebook post about his medal.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver wrote:
    some cheery people on here tonight... #LetItGo
    Finally. My girl.

Good on you Saddles. Thanks to Dear Claire it looks like you may get a wedding invite shortly!

Its so weird to see George North all shy and nervous.

Hah!
    You caught that too.
    Sidestepping is George's bread and butter.
    When it happens, it will be a biggy.

I thought they all looked completely knackered. Much like the riders.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Quick word for Amalie Dideriksen in the omnium - I know they let her ride as she wasn't a threat, but 3 laps and 4 sprints to take 85 points. Outsanding from my local lass. :-D 20 years old, only here for the experience.

Amalie had been a stand out performance I thought. If she can work on her Time Trial and flying lap she'll be in the medals. I think she could be one of Laura's main challengers in 4 years time.

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    Germcevoy wrote:
    Poor Chris Boardman catching flack for his "what's for tea comment". People are twats.

When he said it I guessed that might happen. But it is looking for offence where there is none.

The answer to him saying that is just as likley to be "whatever you fancy cooking" as "This delicious meal I prepared for you"

It's just what couples say to one another
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Even the (top rated, at least) Daily Mail comments are in support of CB. Some are quite amusing.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    The Daily Mail - Like spending 20 minutes in a lunatic asylum*

*copyright The Daily Mash
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    RichN95 wrote:
    Thoughts on the Derny. It no longer makes a noise, so the riders don't get an audio prompt of its accelerations. I wonder if that has contributed to the problems.

I thought the same. Maybe an argument for adding a synthetic speaker noise for the riders.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Gweeds wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Thoughts on the Derny. It no longer makes a noise, so the riders don't get an audio prompt of its accelerations. I wonder if that has contributed to the problems.

I thought the same. Maybe an argument for adding a synthetic speaker noise for the riders.
    Can they pipe in the odour of two stroke fuel so it smells like a proper track meet too please?
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Jut bring the proper Derny back. Pleeeeasseeee
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

20 mins? Are you a slow reader?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    I noticed Becky James had an inverted stem on her roadbike - just for cooling down track rides you reckon, or she has it permanently in that setup?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    The Kenny/Trott household would be 13th in the medal table at these Olympics, one place above Spain :lol:
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    coriordan wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

20 mins? Are you a slow reader?

15 mins on the sidebar of shame :wink:
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Daniel B wrote:
    I noticed Becky James had an inverted stem on her roadbike - just for cooling down track rides you reckon, or she has it permanently in that setup?

(this is how sad I am)

I also noticed that, as well as a pump attached to the top tube. Sacrilege on that Cervelo frame!
  • A very nice "The Becky Story" from of all places, the mirror:-

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-spo ... es-8648965
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Dinyull wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

(this is how sad I am)

I also noticed that, as well as a pump attached to the top tube. Sacrilege on that Cervelo frame!

I did wonder why a few of the bikes had Exposure light brackets on. :oops:
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Track all over then, another great performance overall from GB. The girls in particular were fantastic I thought.

It would have been great to have seen Becky James win Gold and of course Cavendish's medal was tainted for many people by his poor riding côck up in the points race.

Mountain biking is an ok watch to come at the weekend of course, although it's always a shame that it's not a bit less XC and a bit more gnarly.
  • dinyull
    I did wonder if you'd be as animated about Kenny's 6th gold possibly being tainted after his non-dq last night, but of course you don't have a bee in your bonnet about him.
  • dinyull
    Just one thing to add about last night, I found it a bit uncomfortable to see the BC coaches all over the ref's while reviewing the 1st false start. Wish they'd just left them to it.

It was the correct decision to re-start with all riders on both occasions imo.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    mfin wrote:
    Track all over then, another great performance overall from GB. The girls in particular were fantastic I thought.

Bit harsh on the men there... Out of 5 events, gold in 4, silver in 2 is pretty stellar.
  • neonriver
    neonriver Posts: 228
    Dinyull wrote:
    Just one thing to add about last night, I found it a bit uncomfortable to see the BC coaches all over the ref's while reviewing the 1st false start. Wish they'd just left them to it.

They were offering the teams video footage (they have data analysts filming everything from just behind the stands). They footage they had was filmed directly in line with the pursuit line which was an angle the comms didn't seem to have. They also did the same the second time when it reprieved Eilers.
  • mfin
    mfin wrote:

Bit harsh on the men there... Out of 5 events, gold in 4, silver in 2 is pretty stellar.

I didn't mean it like that in mentioning the girls on the end there, not statistically, more in the sense of the personalities and how they came across as well as the wins.
  • dinyull
    Maybe I'm being ott, but the British coaches were very prominent in what was shown on TV. I didn't see the German or Malaysian coaches in their ears.
  • Dinyull wrote:

'BC coaches all over' was actually just Iain Dyer, the Head Coach

And this is what he was doing
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/olympics/201 ... -farcical/

After Eilers did the same thing, the German head coach was also beside the Commies
  • dinyull
    Dyer showed the chief commissaire, Germany’s Alex Donike, the BC footage, arguing that it was “too close to call” to disqualify Kenny.

I'd rather they just left them to it tbh.
  • neonriver
    neonriver Posts: 228
    Dinyull wrote:
    Dyer showed the chief commissaire, Germany’s Alex Donike, the BC footage, arguing that it was “too close to call” to disqualify Kenny.

Leave an Olympic medal up to a camera angle that isn't showing it in the right perspective no chance.

The real question is why wasn't the photo finish camera on I'm sure its required at both pursuit lines for an international velodrome.
  • mfin
    Dinyull wrote:

Really? I'd rather they offer more information if they have it in this situation where the deliberation was clearly dragging because things were not at all clear.

It's not like hot-headed footballers crowding a ref, although I think that's how some see it.