Rio Olympics *Spoilers*

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    JSCL wrote:
    Just wondering would a painted line marking were the road edge drops to gutter have helped safety

I think rewatching yesterday's big accident, her line wasn't too bad going in to the corner, she just took it too fast and maybe even an application of brakes at the wrong time.

I think it would have been 'helpful' in general, but wouldn't have any bearing on yesterday.

She's way too tight coming in, the brakes throw her over the bars and maybe made it worse but she's hitting the deck by then it's just a matter of how.

Yes, looked to me like last second panic front braking threw her over the bars. With hindsight she might have been better dropping the front wheel into the gulley then ejecting into the scenery. On the other hand, she then might have impaled herself on something...
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Leaving the subject of crashes aside, I was impressed by the team work of many of the competitiors. Netherlands, obviously, going on to winm gold despite their lead rider crashing out, but Italy and USA also seemed to do well at managing the peleton. Not so great for GB and Mara Abbott just didn't have the legs for the final km, but in the end the skill and strength of the riders in the last stretch is the deciding factor.
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Titchie Ritchie managed to bend a tree in his crash = fractured shoulder
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    mrfpb wrote:
    Not so great for GB.

I thought Pooley looked pretty strong, and given she measured her effort and climbed off, I reckon it bodes well for the ITT. I hope so anyway.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Why didn't they just cover the guttering (which is crazy if you look at that video, the edge isn't even, it zigzags all over the shop) with bales. Yes people would have still gone down but they'd have upended over a bale rather than a hard concrete curb.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    keef66 wrote:
    JSCL wrote:
    Just wondering would a painted line marking were the road edge drops to gutter have helped safety

I think rewatching yesterday's big accident, her line wasn't too bad going in to the corner, she just took it too fast and maybe even an application of brakes at the wrong time.

I think it would have been 'helpful' in general, but wouldn't have any bearing on yesterday.

She's way too tight coming in, the brakes throw her over the bars and maybe made it worse but she's hitting the deck by then it's just a matter of how.

Yes, looked to me like last second panic front braking threw her over the bars. With hindsight she might have been better dropping the front wheel into the gulley then ejecting into the scenery. On the other hand, she then might have impaled herself on something...

One of the lesser noted problems was that the corners were both off camber and also tightened late. To be honest I just don't think she realised is was such a tight corner and had to brake too hard. The back wheel slid out and she "jack knifed"

Just a consequence of pushing too hard when you re already on the limit. But then she had to push hard because, as we saw twice, lone riders struggled to stay away... (though I suspect she might be a better flat lander than Mara Abbott)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • poppit
    Aussie women's track TP squad have crashed in training, apparently Melissa Hoskins has gone to hospital.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    Time to ban left hand bends in velodromes, they are dangerous.
  • poppit
    It must be a busy old hospital in Rio, full of cyclists!
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Nice video of Flavia Oliveira who finished in 7th place, Brazils best ever result in Olympic cycling https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGVNy4O-pS8
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    edited August 2016
    Annette Edmonsons tweeted that everyone on Team Aus are ok, inc Melissa Hoskins who appeared to be in the most pain, and they are just a bit battered and brusied
  • PuttyKnees
    PuttyKnees Posts: 381
    The amateur video of the women's race crash was striking. She took such a dreadful line that the outcome was inevitable. What upset me was the fact that the guy just stood there filming her. Jesus Christ, put the phone down and apply some first aid. How can someone stand there like that? Just unbelievable.

I only saw Pooley off the front or at the back. Is that where she normally rides? Is she incapable of bunch riding or something? It didn't seem that she was any help at all, most particularly when needed for pacing. Bit of a mess all round - Harris wasn't deployed to assist in bringing the break back and Pooley was absent on the main climb.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    PuttyKnees wrote:
    What upset me was the fact that the guy just stood there filming her. Jesus Christ, put the phone down and apply some first aid. How can someone stand there like that? Just unbelievable.

Yeah right just what you need some random administering roadside diy first aid, you realise that could do way more harm than good :roll:
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    PuttyKnees wrote:
    I only saw Pooley off the front or at the back. Is that where she normally rides? Is she incapable of bunch riding or something? It didn't seem that she was any help at all, most particularly when needed for pacing. Bit of a mess all round - Harris wasn't deployed to assist in bringing the break back and Pooley was absent on the main climb.

She's probably lost a bit of confidence in the bunch - she was a late starter anyway and not everyone is a natural. She didn't do a bad job though - she tried to form a second break earlier in the race which was sat on by some Aussie and then brought back by Vos and did a reasonable amount of work on the front after that.

Harris didn't manage to contribute a great deal but maybe she was just on a bad day - she was off the back earlyish and managed to get back and contribute a bit and she may have done some work that went unseen. It does show that calls to bring in a replacement for Armitstead were misplaced though - on that kind of circuit there was nobody else who could have got close.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    PuttyKnees wrote:

I only saw Pooley off the front or at the back. Is that where she normally rides?

She tends to ride on the front, a lot, too much - did you see the London coverage? She spent most of the race on the front of the bunch.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Orla Chennaoui ‏@SkyOrla · 4h4 hours ago

Geraint Thomas' Olympic Games isn't over yet. Time trial place confirmed after rider withdrawals because of crashes in the road race.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    Mara Abbott ‏@cosunshinemka · 7h7 hours ago

Not everyone saw as much of how beautifully you rode yesterday, @AvVleuten, as I did. My healing thoughts are with you - body AND heart.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Orla Chennaoui ‏@SkyOrla · 4h4 hours ago

Geraint Thomas' Olympic Games isn't over yet. Time trial place confirmed after rider withdrawals because of crashes in the road race.

Great, he sounded up for it.
  • FocusZing
    edited August 2016
    167884_8-LG-HD.jpg

CpbK-D7XEAAChIH.png

"The course uses the ‘Grumari Circuit’ as featured in the road race

Starting in Pontal, roughly 30km west of Fort Copacabana (where the road race started), the men’s individual time trial features two laps of the ‘Grumari Circuit’. This 25km loop was tackled four times in Saturday’s road race, before the peloton headed east toward the Vista Chinesa circuit closer to Rio.

There are a couple of small lumps at the start of the Grumari Circuit but the course is really defined by two main climbs: a 1.2km ascent at 7% (which reaches 16% at its steepest) and then an easier and steadier 2.1km ascent which averages 4.5%.

The descents off both climbs are quite technical, the first in particular featuring a couple of sharp corners — not to be sneezed at on a time trial bike. Between the climbs and their descents though, the roads are quite flat.

The time trial does traverse the same cobblestone road that the road race used but eagle-eyed road race viewers would have noticed a strip of smooth tarmac beside the cobbles. This smooth section of road will be used for the time trials rather than the cobblestones."

http://cyclingtips.com/2016/08/preview- ... -olympics/
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Flasher wrote:
    PuttyKnees wrote:
    What upset me was the fact that the guy just stood there filming her. Jesus Christ, put the phone down and apply some first aid. How can someone stand there like that? Just unbelievable.

Yeah right just what you need some random administering roadside diy first aid, you realise that could do way more harm than good :roll:

Hmm - checking breathing and pulse is a nescesity - 1 minute of no oxygen to the brain and braincells start to die. After 3 minutes it's likely for the patient to have serious brain damage - after 10 minutes of no oxygen to the brain they are unlikely to recover - there are exceptions - this is general guidance.

I think I could see that she was breathing in the rather grainy video - if someone's breathing you can expect them to have a pulse - but it's not obvious that that check was done - either by the spectator or by the moto rider.
    It was 2 minutes from the crash to the time of medical attention - you could see her hand moving which was a bit of a relief. However, had she not been in that position (breathing and heart rate) then it would've been significantly more serious than it was.
    So yes - some random checking breathing and pulse is preferable to doing nothing.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    I haven't seen the video, but do we know where they are from?

I'd imagine it was a local, and knowing Brazil as quite a poor country perhaps basic medical education is hard to come by. Hell, some over here wouldn't have a clue if someone collapsed in front of them.

The thing that bothered me most about it was the tv moto pulling to one side and carry on filming her - would be a good idea to get the tv moto's first aid trained as they are often first on the scene.
  • tailwindhome
    Orla Chennaoui ‏@SkyOrla · 14m14 minutes ago

Mark Cavendish says disappointed to not get to ride the Olympic Team Pursuit, but "Brad wants the glory", referring to Wiggins' Olympic goal

Simon Denton‏@SimonDenton2

@SkyOrla Was that tongue-in-cheek? Or does he really think, he is being denied because of Brad?

Orla Chennaoui ‏@SkyOrla · 3m3 minutes ago

Orla Chennaoui Retweeted Simon Denton

No, he believes it was Wiggins' call that he's not riding the Team Pursuit.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    Oof... we going to have a falling out between those two again?

Guess Cav just needs to make it stick in the Omnium...
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Orla Chennaoui ‏@SkyOrla · 14m14 minutes ago

Mark Cavendish says disappointed to not get to ride the Olympic Team Pursuit, but "Brad wants the glory", referring to Wiggins' Olympic goal

Simon Denton‏@SimonDenton2

@SkyOrla Was that tongue-in-cheek? Or does he really think, he is being denied because of Brad?

Orla Chennaoui ‏@SkyOrla · 3m3 minutes ago

Orla Chennaoui Retweeted Simon Denton

No, he believes it was Wiggins' call that he's not riding the Team Pursuit.

I hope it's not true that Wiggins is dictating the team :? Would he get dropped for the final if he was the weakest of the five?
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Surely Cavendish is only there to do the omnium and the only reason he's the fifth man is because of limits on team numbers. With no restrictions someone like Dibben or Tennant would be reserve.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    RichN95 wrote:
    Surely Cavendish is only there to do the omnium and the only reason he's the fifth man is because of limits on team numbers. With no restrictions someone like Dibben or Tennant would be reserve.

It's probably the right call but, if as believed, should Wiggins be making it?
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • FocusZing
    Probably taken out of context. I would like to see/hear the interview direct.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

It's probably the right call but, if as believed, should Wiggins be making it?
    I doubt they ever considered using a reserve. GB haven't in the last two Olympics (men or women). And Cavendish hasn't actually ever done a competition TP.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,533
    Can't Cavendish just ride one of the early easy rounds and pick up a cheap medal later?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Very odd if Cav really means that. The only way I could envisage that arising as an issue is if they were having a meeting to discuss the event and Cav raised the possibility of getting a ride in the early rounds and Wiggins felt Cav's celebrity might make the others feel obliged to volunteer to stand down if required. Then as the senior member of the team and the only one who outranks Cav in terms of experience and fame felt it was his place to reaffirm the fact Cav was only there because pf the quota on rider numbers.

It has to be banter though doesn't it? If not you have to question the management to allow that to arise as an issue now.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]