Rio Olympics *Spoilers*

Comments

• FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    edited August 2016
    According to Dutch officials, Annemiek van Vleuten is conscious and en route to the hospital. She's in shock but no words on injuries yet.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Rewatching it the impact isn't too bad. Then she slithers into that horror position (unconscious likely) so hopefully it's not too horrible
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    BBC coverage is pretty crap after the finish, just loads of random shots with no commentary etc
    That's because you're probably watching it on red button/online rather than BBC1
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    edited August 2016
    ddraver wrote:
    Rewatching it the impact isn't too bad. Then she slithers into that horror position (unconscious likely) so hopefully it's not too horrible
    Reckon the initial impact with the road knocked her straight out which made the rest of it better as she'd have been limp. Hate to think what would have happened if the initial impact had been with one of those ridiculous kerb stones.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    RichN95 wrote:
    BBC coverage is pretty crap after the finish, just loads of random shots with no commentary etc
    That's because you're probably watching it on red button/online rather than BBC1

Ah, balls, that teaches me to let my wife and kids be in charge of the telly
  • tazmon
    tazmon Posts: 107
    It was a shocker, genuinely feared she'd lost her life. Wishing Annemiek a full recovery.
    Road - Scott Solace
    Mountain - Santa Cruz Tazmon (retro) and Scott Spark
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Awful crash. But remember the impact that G had with the telegraph pole? I thought he was a goner there too.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    ddraver wrote:
    Reckon the initial impact with the road knocked her straight out which made the rest of it better as she'd have been limp. Hate to think what would have happened if the initial impact had been with one of those ridiculous kerb stones.
    Yeah watching it again it's not quite as horrific as it looked at first.

When I first saw it it made me immediately think of that skier cross one from the other year which was as horrific as it looked. I think it's the ragdoll effect which makes it really heart stopping.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    I just caught up with events. Yay a Dutch gold. Bl00dy hell van Vleuten's crash! :shock:

Well done Anna v/d Breggen but getter soon Annemiek. Oooof I fell a bit sick after watching her crash.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    davidof wrote:
    Val Vleuten seemed to crash in a similar spot to Thomas.
    I think she was at a similar bend two or three farther down, actually not that far from the end of the descent.
    That crash by Van Vleuten, hope to god she pulls through!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnVhdqKvCco
    If she has regained consciousness and escapes without a spinal injury, it'll be a minor miracle.
    Both my feelings too. It looked like a broken neck to me so I’m surprised she’s even alive (as reported), although I heard she hasn’t moved since being picked up and taken to hospital.
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Boardman is really angry, and I think quite rightly. I usually say 'no such thing as a bad road, only the wrong speed', but that road...
    As CB said, if you come off on that, you're not getting back on
    I didn’t watch Boardman, so don’t know what he was angry about, but roads with very high curbs, like that had, always bring an added high risk to them if you make a mistake. And while I also would often agree with you (although I think Van Vleuten got the curve wrong rather than her speed), if Boardman meant in that sense (high curbs), I think him right.

I hope Van der Breggen decides to not attend a medal ceremony in respect of Van Vleuten’s crash, irrespective of how serious the injury turns out to be.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Still feel sick rewatching it, and at 0.25 speed despite what the Dutch federation say...
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    edited August 2016
    true, but still you go head first into a concrete gutter like that at some speed,and a simple skull fracture can be fatal,it only needs to be a fraction of a section at a very high g load, and that reminded me of so many motor racing style impacts, the worst ones are always actually the ones that look straightforward. because all the crash energy goes into the rider, I certainly was fearing the worse :(

and especially after Lizzies interview on R5, where she said she was shocked by what she'd seen,and Lizzies seen crashes before, been knocked about abit herself, so whilst I still think the news is great that Annemiek is concious & can communicate, thats still a long way from concious and ok, I hope shes ok and they are just being cautious with the news.
  • ddraver
    https://www.youtube.com/embed/9tz6mHGOPnY

Interview with a gutted Gee
    - @ddraver
  • germcevoy
    germcevoy Posts: 414
    She took the risks and almost paid the ultimate price. I hope the early reports on her condition are accurate.
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    She's OK.

CpR_zUdWIAAVm0C.jpg
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • ddraver
    edited August 2016
    NOT A PICTURE FROM TODAY!!!!

Thats from last year
    - @ddraver
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Nice shot:)
  • jscl
    ddraver wrote:

Apologies, I assumed!

http://www.wielerupdate.nl/wielernieuws/37280/
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    I'm amazed those curbs weren't padded out. They're insane on those corners
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • ddraver
    You and Matt Pinsent to befair
    - @ddraver
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    edited August 2016
    JSCL wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Apologies, I assumed!

it is very bad of them tweeting that photo (for illustration purposes only)

// tweet deleted now
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    Other than an air fence or catch net any curb, gulley, drain, wall etc. is going to be just as bad. The road surfaces actually looked pretty good compared to a lot of European descents (and most of the roads I cycle on in the UK).
  • above_the_cows
    JSCL wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Apologies, I assumed!

That report doesn't say anything other than summarising events and that she's going to the hospital.
  • jouxplan
    jouxplan Posts: 147
    Which body actually designs an Olympic road course, and who decides if it is safe enough? It seems incredible to me that such a dangerous descent was allowed. And given the crashes yesterday, I'm perplexed that there appeared to be no additional safety measures ie padding etc for today's race.

Felt sick watching it live and can't recall the last time I shouted in horror at my tv so much. Hope to God she really is ok.
    Trek Project One Series 6 Madone 2010
    Trek Madone 5.9 2006
    Trek Madone 5.2 2004
    Cougar Custom 1995
    Viscount Aerospace 1982
    Some mountain bikes gathering dust
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,533
    Those curbs are standard issue for the entire continent of South America. Always looked ridiculously dangerous to me for any type of vehicle, but especially cyclists who have no exit strategy in the event of a car. There's probably some advantage of them, but I've got no idea what it is.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,391
    It looked like they hadn't even repaired the crash netting that Titchie Richie hit yesterday either.

Fingers crossed Van Vleuten isn't too badly hurt
  • jscl
    JSCL wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Apologies, I assumed!

That report doesn't say anything other than summarising events and that she's going to the hospital.

The above picture originally accompanied the article, but they;ve changed it now.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    frisbee wrote:
    Other than an air fence or catch net any curb, gulley, drain, wall etc. is going to be just as bad. The road surfaces actually looked pretty good compared to a lot of European descents (and most of the roads I cycle on in the UK).
    Well the roads had just been resurfaced sure, but thats not really the issue - a lot of those corners were off camber but mostly that gutter and kerb combo looks particularly unforgiving for bikes. Certainly not seen anything like that in Europe.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    I'd imagine it's to deal with the volume of water coming down during monsoons.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • above_the_cows
    Gweeds wrote:
    I'd imagine it's to deal with the volume of water coming down during monsoons.

^This. Stops run off onto loose soil and landslides.