Lizzie

Comments

• germcevoy
    germcevoy Posts: 414
    I don't buy the family emergency for the third missed test. If I have a family emergency the first thing I usually have to do is inform my employer. If I don't then I risk the sack. It takes thirty seconds to make the call or to text my manager. Surely the same applies for an elite athlete and ADAMS? Your job is often your likelihood. It should be no different for an athlete.
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Am I wrong in thinking Lizzie contested the first strike with UKAD at the time but didn't go further at the time when UKAD said tough, ie go to CAS, because of the cost?

UKAD would/should have checked the specifics of scenario the first one when she contested it, and clearly came to a different conclusion to CAS. I'd quite like to know why. I don't think they would have pursued her three strike sanction if they didn't believe the process was followed. Hence their slight bemusement I guess.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    Felt a bit of sympathy having seen her interview on the news. She obviously realises she's messed up big time and tainted her reputation whether or not she has ever cheated. I wouldn't be surprised if she decides to retire if things don't calm down although that in its self would lead to more finger pointing. She's in a bit of a no win situation now, if she wins the Olympics people will be up in arms and if she loses her form it will be because she was found out. One thing I am confident of is that she won't miss another test in her career.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    If she wins gold no one will give a toss about the circumstances around it in 3 months from now- apart from the clinic.
  • smithy21 wrote:
    If she wins gold no one will give a toss about the circumstances around it in 3 months from now- apart from the clinic.

Not so sure about that - there are plenty of folk who feel Christine Ohurugu's medals are tainted following her Whereabouts related ban.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    I don't for one moment think she is doping, but I do think this is just a bit odd. Surely her manager or herself, or British Cycling, would have pushed hard to have the first missed test struck off the records. The third one seems a bit odd too - a quick call and it would never have been an issue.
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    I don't for one moment think she is doping,

Why?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    chances of winning gold now with that hanging over her is surely pretty much zero
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 wrote:

Not so sure about that - there are plenty of folk who feel Christine Ohurugu's medals are tainted following her Whereabouts related ban.

Not sure they do. Does anyone really care or anymore?

She still has an Olympic gold and two world championships. I don't know- maybe missing out on doing Santander adverts winds her up.
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    Don't know if this was also mentioned...

Diego Rosa has had three missed tests and is still riding Rio.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/rosa-to ... outs-case/
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    JSCL wrote:

R5p9G94.gif
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • smithy21
    Astana. Guilty.

Send him home.
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,041
    smithy21 wrote:
    Astana. Guilty.

Send him home.

Going to Sky. He's good to go. :mrgreen:
  • Hearing that UKAD's leaking information on missed tests to the likes of the Daily Hate. Despite the fact that this is wildly breaching athlete confidentiality. But then everyone is really understanding about a missed test, understands that it's possible even if regrettable scenario and doesn't actually constitute doping, and don't instantly reach for pitchforks.

What could possibly go wrong?

I pulled up mm1 yday for bitching about Sapstead. I take it all back. This is fooking out of order.
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    JSCL wrote:

R5p9G94.gif
    Haha, I was totally expecting this to start :P

@Richmond - I mentioned this a couple of days ago, there's on particular freelance journo in the North who picks up most of the gossip.

Tennant was the one who leaked Yates' doping issue to the same guy at the Daily Fail. Totally wouldn't surprise me if they knew someone at UKAD too.

I really can't stand the way they falsely drag this sport through the mud, again and again.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Wasn't there are story about the Italian nationals that the testers had turned up and found they'd forgotten the kit so they tried to keep all the riders waiting for a few hours while new supplies were delivered. The riders told them to get stuffed.

I may be imagining this though.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    JSCL wrote:

Tennant was the one who leaked Yates' doping issue to the same guy at the Daily Fail. Totally wouldn't surprise me if they knew someone at UKAD too.

I really can't stand the way they falsely drag this sport through the mud, again and again.

The entire media thrives on leaked stories, not just the Mail. Doesn't really matter if it was leaked or not anyway - unless any of the 'leaked' info was materially incorrect, then the issues remain the same, regardless.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    JSCL wrote:

The thing is, cycling was in the mud for so long it's an easy target. Add that to it moving into the mainstream in the UK, and it's inevitable you'll get the likes of the Daily Nazi raking the muck. Popularity is a double-edged sword, especially with the gutter press in this country.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • smithy21
    itboffin wrote:
    chances of winning gold now with that hanging over her is surely pretty much zero

That's the spirit.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Mentioned on TV last night that Lizzie is in a right mess and has barely eaten all week because of all the stress, so chances of her winning anything are just about zero now.

edit: Echo... echo.. echo..
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,813
    I am not impressed with Lizzie's plight tbh. clean or not is very shabby and if she does lose because of stress its her own fault.

she is at the top rung of the sport where plenty of attention should be focused, someone of her palmares needs to be more professional than this.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,098
    Mentioned on TV last night that Lizzie is in a right mess and has barely eaten all week because of all the stress, so chances of her winning anything are just about zero now.

British Cycling should withdraw her then and enter another rider.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    davidof wrote:

For some reason I read this as "withdraw her and enter another country". Was having difficulty understanding how invading a sovereign nation would help.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • The_Boy wrote:
    davidof wrote:

For some reason I read this as "withdraw her and enter another country". Was having difficulty understanding how invading a sovereign nation would help.

Russia and Putin happy to give it a go though
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,559
    davidof wrote:

Just a tiny bit late for that, what with the race being tomorrow and on the other side of the world. Unless they brought a spare.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • davidof wrote:

No time
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    The_Boy wrote:
    davidof wrote:

Russia and Putin happy to give it a go though

Putin is running BC? Actually, that's a rumour that might catch on in The Other Place.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Shhhhhhhh
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,559
    Someone at BC needs to ask "What would Shane do?"

*runs and hides*
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,098
    davidof wrote:

Just a tiny bit late for that, what with the race being tomorrow and on the other side of the world. Unless they brought a spare.

Should have then, the crisis has been brewing for some time.

Given the pressure I'm sure most riders would have had the wobbles.

but maybe she'll confound everyone.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme