Who will be the next Prime Minister

Comments

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    finchy wrote:
    Very interesting it's true. Labour and Tory MPs talking about creating a new centrist party.
    Could happen if both conditions are fulfilled.

While Corbyn may prove impossible to dislodge for the time being due to their leadership election rules, I have the feeling the May will become PM, keeping the Tories close enough to the centre ground for this not to happen. Although a Labour split is likely in any event given they are totally impotent in opposition currently and unlikely to be able to ditch JC.

they can't even get the referendum result right. This article is just suppostion.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I see Leadsom's now going for the anti-establishment vote...
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Garry H wrote:
    I see Leadsom's now going for the anti-establishment vote...

Does that mean backing any and every conspiracy theory
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    finchy wrote:
    Until after the next election. Unless she wins.
    Pretty much a given, don't you think? I know DCs majority is slender, but is there seriously another contender in British politics. The Labour party are hell-bent on fighting wars from 40 years ago, the LibDems are in free fall, so what's next? More votes for UKIP? A referendum is very different to people voting for an MP.
    After all, with the referendum, we were told "you're vote counts". In lots of places in Britain, voting in a GE, that might not be true. Lots might vote UKIP and they might be pissing up the wall. Like last time, really.

Surely the Lib Dems must be in line for a revival now.
    With Nick Clegg in charge?
    He's not in charge - It's Farron (although clearly you've not heard of him :) ). Says a lot about how irrelevant the Lib Dems are these days.
    I was speculating that they might give Farron the chop and bring back Nick. Seems like all the parties fancy a change of leadership. And Clegg did so well for them last time....
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    If (when) Leadsom loses she should defect to UKIP. She'd be perfect as their new leader.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Pross wrote:
    If (when) Leadsom loses she should defect to UKIP. She'd be perfect as their new leader.

Had the same thought myself
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Dan Jarvis
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    Pross wrote:

Although she'd have to explain the Essex crowd why with all that money she cannot afford botox... :roll:
    left the forum March 2023
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Looks like it's settled:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36763208

Now the fun begins. I can't see EU leaders being happy with putting off Art. 50 for 6 more months.
  • ugo.santalucia
    mrfpb wrote:
    Looks like it's settled:

Now the fun begins. I can't see EU leaders being happy with putting off Art. 50 for 6 more months.

It's easier to find a needle in a haystack than to find a Leave campaigner that lasts a week... :lol:
  • Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    mrfpb wrote:
    Looks like it's settled:

....and how soon DC will go and if we ll have a GE fairly soon?

Article 50 will have to wait!
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    mrfpb wrote:
    Looks like it's settled:

I can't see they can do much more than complain, we clearly need some time to figure out what we actually want, and to do that we need a new PM etc. and for them to have enough time to come up with a plan.

Apparently the Tory constitution doesn't allow her to run unopposed so I guess they will put Gove back on?
  • bendertherobot
    Leadsom out. Does that mean a re-run? May as well have an election.
  • mrfpb
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Apparently the Tory constitution doesn't allow her to run unopposed so I guess they will put Gove back on?

But Michael Howard got through as the only candidate - they didn't go to the members. Not sure if they have changed the rules that much since then. I think it's in the hands of the 1922 committee to decide if an election is necessary.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    mrfpb wrote:
    Looks like it's settled:

It's easier to find a needle in a haystack than to find a Leave campaigner that lasts a week... :lol:

yep, maybe we ll wake up to find the referendum didnt happen?

These guys and gals have led along all of the UK s population, if i d voted OUT, in good faith, based on the leaves campaign, i d feel robbed and cheated, feel a bit of a fool really.

May might want a GE to give her PM'ship legitimacy and momentum, esp given Brexit and all that entails.
  • bendertherobot
    So, will May be installed immediately? There's been a lot of behind the scenes negotiations this weekend clearly given mays speech
  • bendertherobot
    So, will May be installed immediately? There's been a lot of behind the scenes negotiations this weekend clearly given mays speech
  • ugo.santalucia
    mamba80 wrote:

May might want a GE to give her PM'ship legitimacy and momentum, esp given Brexit and all that entails.

She might lose... as of today UKIP would gain a few seats, LibDem might too, Labour might stay the same or gain a few and Tories would lose a few
  • mamba80
    mamba80 wrote:

She might lose... as of today UKIP would gain a few seats, LibDem might too, Labour might stay the same or gain a few and Tories would lose a few

well, anything is possible but lose a snap autumn election?
    certainly Farage would revoke his resignation and remain, the Labour party? who knows? but the country is heavily divided, 17m voted for Brexit out of an electorate of 46m and a uk pop of 65m, her mandate for being PM is zero and it will haunt her, just like it did Gordon Brown, she also has to justify how a remainer is embracing Brexit, given what the remainers said will happen if we leave.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    So Leadsom, Gove and Crabbe took themselves out of the contest. Fox was the only one to have lost in a vote rather than quit. Does that put him back in the running? I reckon they will let May in unopposed.
  • mamba80 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

certainly Farage would revoke his resignation and remain, the Labour party? who knows? but the country is heavily divided, 17m voted for Brexit out of an electorate of 46m and a uk pop of 65m, her mandate for being PM is zero and it will haunt her, just like it did Gordon Brown, she also has to justify how a remainer is embracing Brexit, given what the remainers said will happen if we leave.

We don't vote for a PM, we vote MP's individually to represent us. We don't need a presidential type election as you seem to think we should have.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    They never elect the assassin.

May it'll be.

Stopped watch & all that
  • ugo.santalucia
    mamba80 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

She has nearly 4 years to turn things round. Right now a good proportion of those who voted remain would stay well away from the Tories... and that's a lot of support lost... would they gain any? After the backstabbing, I don't think so... any remourse-less leaver from the Labour camp would probably turn to UKIP.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

We don't vote for a PM, we vote MP's individually to represent us. We don't need a presidential type election as you seem to think we should have.

Pretty much everything the Tories won the last election on has gone, inc the PM and their economic policy, on top of this, we are now apparently leaving the EU, that wasnt in any parties manifesto, we could now be facing the possibility of a Norway/Swiss style agreement, where we will be a virtual member of the EU, something 17m didnt vote for.

where did i say i wanted a Presidential type election? i disagree with you on we dont vote for a PM, the character and views of each individual parties leader is what most people do vote on in a GE, agree, in by-election it ll be the MP.
  • mrfpb
    The Tories only need to lose seven seats to lose their majority, and we get a hung parliament in all likelihood. I don't think the country can put up with extending the uncertainty any more. The Tories delivered the manifesto pledge on the referendum (even if they didn't expect to) and everything is up in the air, but economic plans always change once a party is in government for more than a year.

The Fixed Parliament Act is in place to trigger an election if enough Tory MPs are unhappy with May's Brexit strategy.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    mamba80 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

Constitutionally that's obviously right but politically and in the eyes of the public there is less respect for a PM who hasn't led their party to GE victory.

Particularly in something as important as Brexit I think a lot of people will be thinking along those lines.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    We're not supposed to vote for a PM, but many vote for the party and the head of that party is a very large part of that. That's why having a leader that's seen as unelectable is considered a bad thing. I'd have thought this whole referendum would show just how ill informed a large part of the electorate are.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    Veronese68 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    So Leadsom, Gove and Crabbe took themselves out of the contest. Fox was the only one to have lost in a vote rather than quit. Does that put him back in the running? I reckon they will let May in unopposed.

Gove lost in a vote too.
  • bobmcstuff wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

Constitutionally that's obviously right but politically and in the eyes of the public there is less respect for a PM who hasn't led their party to GE victory.

Particularly in something as important as Brexit I think a lot of people will be thinking along those lines.

There is no point of having a GE at this moment in time. Nothing has changed on Europe except we are leaving (and that was decided recently on a separate vote)

I could see a referendum to validate the type of Brexit we go for after negotiations have taken place. The reason for not having a GE based on Brexit is how can Labour present their view on how Brexit will work when it is not their negotiations? Even if they are part of cross party exit negotiations.

All Mamba and others are trying to do is somehow get another vote that will mean the referendum result is ignored. Funnily enough this approach is very EU like as in 'you will keep voting until we get the correct answer'.