Giro 16 - Stage 19 ***Spoilers***

Comments

• manic_esso
    manic_esso Posts: 92
    Anyone else see a scenario other than 1 & 2 fighting for 1st and 3 and 4 fighting for 3rd ?
  • manic_esso
    manic_esso Posts: 92

We have seen these things before... they are undoubtly entertaining and make for good racing, but hard to explain how a man that 2 days ago couldn't keep up now is dropping everybody

Maybe he had a bit of my avatar for tea
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    durhamwasp wrote:
    Come on Chaves, anyone but that a$%shole Nibali.

^^^^ Wot he said
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    In other news, Betancur DNF (along with Deignan, Ciccone and obviously Zakarin)
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Astana really know how to transform a knackered rider for the last couple of mountain stages. Impressive stuff.
  • Surely resident grump Iain F would give that a solid 8.5?
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • And I would so love Chaves to win this
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    I'm so chuffed for Chaves. I've had my eye on him for a couple of years now and he is showing he is a strong little rider.

I really cannot stand Nibali. He just doesn't come across well at all. As long as he doesn't win I'm happy, I hesitate to say I think he may do it though.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Kruijswijk has a fractured rib
  • bobmcstuff
    And? Dropping out?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/giro-di ... nk-jersey/

Devastating for the guy. Must be the worst.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Maybe, maybe not.
    From their twitter page
    LottoNLJumbo Cycling‏ @LottoJumbo_road
    "I felt pain and my morale was broken," @s_kruijswijk said after #Giro stage 19. Read more: http://www.teamlottojumbo.nl/cycling-ne ... 19th-stage

Sports Director Addy Engels thinks otherwise. “It isn’t over for Steven,” he added. “The best situation would have been with Steven still in the pink jersey. It looked like that was going to happen because he gave a good impression on the Colle dell’Agnello. The odds are not in our favour anymore, but when he’s able to recover, he can strike back tomorrow.”

Real shame.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    edited May 2016
    steel42 wrote:
    finding it hard to believe/accept nibali`s performance
    Well he did visit a hospital for "tests" a couple of days ago, an M.O.T. to see if he was ill. Maybe they gave him an oil change while he was there. :mrgreen:
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    Is this the clinic?

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Sad to say this is not the walk of someone who is going to attack tomorrow

https://twitter.com/NOSsport/status/736308655549775872

:(

That actually makes his ride today pretty impressive!

That CN article is brutal
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    So it's ok for Chaves to take a minute or so out of Niblai the other day but not ok for Nibali to take time back today?

I don't understand why yesterday would make people uncomfortable. Nibali is a proven 3 week tour rider.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,249
    smithy21 wrote:
    So it's ok for Chaves to take a minute or so out of Niblai the other day but not ok for Nibali to take time back today?

I don't understand why yesterday would make people uncomfortable. Nibali is a proven 3 week tour rider.

Maybe we are being overly skeptical and maybe Nibali was not well last week... which would explain... but as someone pointed out earlier, Aru did pretty much the same last year
    left the forum March 2023
  • EnacheV
    EnacheV Posts: 235
    Astana the masters of miraculous transformations, especially day to day, from crap to in form. Makes me puke. Nibali miraculously (like Aru last year) found his 20 lost watts.

Also funny how all Nibali's wins are after his opponents crash out, no exceptions. When they don't he doesn't win, simply as that.
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    EnacheV wrote:
    Astana the masters of miraculous transformations, especially day to day, from crap to in form. Makes me puke. Nibali miraculously (like Aru last year) found his 20 lost watts.

Also funny how all Nibali's wins are after his opponents crash out, no exceptions. When they don't he doesn't win, simply as that.

Make your mind up. Either he's a miraculous extra terrestrial or he rides consistently for three weeks and wins when others crash out. Putting 5 minutes into a guy with broken ribs is not suspicious.

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Don't understand the love/hate, chaves/nibali thing.

Chaves is pretty underwhelming as a rider, Nibali for all his flaws is a great and has had some spectacular stage wins, Chaves has done sweet FA
  • bobmcstuff

Chaves is pretty underwhelming as a rider, Nibali for all his flaws is a great and has had some spectacular stage wins, Chaves has done sweet FA
    Give the guy a chance, he's only got to the stage where he's able to win stuff in the last year!
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Zakarin broke his shoulder as well as his collarbone.
  • kleinstroker
    CjhyAWeWUAALjch.jpg
  • EnacheV
    EnacheV Posts: 235
    EnacheV wrote:

Make your mind up. Either he's a miraculous extra terrestrial or he rides consistently for three weeks and wins when others crash out. Putting 5 minutes into a guy with broken ribs is not suspicious.

there is nothing to make up mind. he only wins when others crash out or get ill (fact). he is mediocre and only a few blood bags make him become good in 24 hours, and even then he can win only when better opponents crash or get ill.

and let's not forget about throwing biddons, mother of imbeciles, hanging on to cars (very often, sometime caught and sometimes not (worlds) and so on.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    EnacheV wrote:
    EnacheV wrote:

there is nothing to make up mind. he only wins when others crash out or get ill (fact). he is mediocre and only a few blood bags make him become good in 24 hours, and even then he can win only when better opponents crash or get ill.

and let's not forget about throwing biddons, mother of imbeciles, hanging on to cars (very often, sometime caught and sometimes not (worlds) and so on.

You presumably have evidence to support the bit in bold
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    This is getting silly - where is the evidence that Nibali is a doper - because he rides for Astana ?

You can have good days and bad days - it doesn't take much to lose a couple of minutes on a mountain and the margins between the best riders are slim enough that they can favour one rider one day and another the next.

I'm not saying Nibali isn't a doper but anyone that bets their life on ANY pro cyclist not being a doper is a mug - I just don't see the evidence that he is.

As for him being mediocre - if by mediocre you mean he doesn't have the power to weight to match an on form Froome or Quintana in the high mountains then you are right - but that is what I like about him - he's managed to win 3 grand tours despite not having the engine to just ride away on a mountain top finish. Whether he is a nice guy or a moody arrogant so and so I don't know - I suspect he does verge a bit towards the latter but he's an exciting attacking rider of the sort we need to make it more than a comparison of power to weight / aerodynamics.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204

But Chaves is smiley. The forum likes that. :wink:
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I'm not a fan of Nibali, but not because of being suspicious of his performance. If he's been unwell but now better then yesterday was a completely plausible performance. He would have been massively motivated, Scarponi did some great work, and let's face it Nibali is a class rider.

All that being said I would still prefer Chaves to win.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    So all riders are just supposed to ride consistently for 3 weeks?

Sounds pretty boring.

I hope Nibs attacks and wins tomorrow.
  • kleinstroker
    smithy21 wrote:

But Chaves is smiley. The forum likes that. :wink:

but why? He looks like a wee boy amongst men

CjiThSfWsAA6TmO.jpg
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    Missed the race as was away looking at a camii or two, but didn't realise how bad Zakarin's fall was. :cry:

1464433489528.jpg