Paris-Nice 2016 **SPOILERS**

Comments

• The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    gsk82 wrote:
    It does show that a motivated team who throws caution to the wind can really mess sky up.

If Movistar grew some they could certainly take it to sky.

doing that to froome is a different story altogether

So is doing it with a Quintana Valverde combo.

They blew it last year. Didn't look after Quintana properly early days, and then let Sky do what they ALWAYS do - hammer the peloton on the first real summit finish

)

Was worse than that - they actually helped them.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    RichN95 wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:
    I know he and Henao opened a gap on the rest of the group on the flat run in so obviously feeling good, but with a final winning margin of only 4 second I reckon Geraint owes Galloping Gallopin a few pints of Brains.
    From INRNG on Twats
    Gallopin tells Eurosport he chased in case of a sprint for the stage plus "I get on well with Thomas, we talk rugby, messages each other"
    Also once Gallopin made it back to group 2, Wellens stopped working in group 1 and rode third wheel until the sprint as he had his insurance policy in place.

Galloping Gallopin also needed to ride for his GC place, to stay ahead of Bardet as highest placed French rider.

Now that the grey Soudal jersey has had it's exposure thanks to today's stage winner, I hope the Lotto's will be back in red next w/e.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    RichN95 wrote:
    It looks like Daniil Fominykh of Astana had a really bad crash - off a bridge and into a ravine. Lots of fractures but nothing life threatening.
    Yeah, just saw on Twitter that he's broken a couple of vertebrae. Looks like a nasty one, hopefully he can make a full recovery.

https://twitter.com/AS_Ciclismo/status/ ... 3652540416
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    thegibdog wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    It looks like Daniil Fominykh of Astana had a really bad crash - off a bridge and into a ravine. Lots of fractures but nothing life threatening.
    Yeah, just saw on Twitter that he's broken a couple of vertebrae. Looks like a nasty one, hopefully he can make a full recovery.

There's a video of him him being winched out which shows how far he fell.
    https://twitter.com/AstanaTeam/status/7 ... 0817674241
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    RichN95 wrote:
    thegibdog wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

There's a video of him him being winched out which shows how far he fell.
    https://twitter.com/AstanaTeam/status/7 ... 0817674241
    :shock: How the feck did he end up down there? Looks like on the inside of a corner.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,705
    What. A. Race.

I need some of that there Meldonium for me heart after that

Just caught up with my recording.
    Thanks for saving me the trouble of posting my own words! 8) :)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    Sean Yates has complained that the motorcycles dragged Sky back.

Thomas seems to tacitly agree, given that he said: “You can also say that they had bikes in front of them on the climb.”

I’m often amazed how much the motorcycles influence the racing. I guess nothing is done about this because we need TV pictures and, on a long enough time scale, the assistance is evenly distributed.

Still, it’s weird to see motorcycles inside 10 metres of a chasing group. Even 50 metres might have a measurable effect.
  • Races and threads like this make me Frenchie. :cry:
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    Races and threads like this make me Frenchie. :cry:

Blinkered and sore at losing?
  • Missed out the word 'miss' sorry . :oops:
  • Great win for my man!

Delighted for him.
  • gsk82 wrote:
    Contador seems to have turned in to a show pony. Lots of early attacks which have no chance of achieving anything but look good for the tv.

"

A lot can happen in a day in cycling!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660

If you just want a spiteful argument with a good dollop of xenophobia then I suggest going to Road General and asking a question about helmets (...or shimano/Campag...or waving...or clubs...or red light jumping...or wearing team kit...)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    ddraver wrote:

If you just want a spiteful argument with a good dollop of xenophobia then I suggest going to Road General and asking a question.

Ftfy
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    gsk82 wrote:
    Contador seems to have turned in to a show pony. Lots of early attacks which have no chance of achieving anything but look good for the tv.
    "

So now Contador is the new Thomas Voeckler, the housewife's favourite?! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Standby for Bertie's new facial expressions everyone!
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • ddraver
    The_Boy wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

If you just want a spiteful argument with a good dollop of xenophobia then I suggest going to Road General and asking a question.

Ftfy

:lol: fair enough
    - @ddraver
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    Sean Yates has complained that the motorcycles dragged Sky back.

Thomas seems to tacitly agree, given that he said: “You can also say that they had bikes in front of them on the climb.”

I’m often amazed how much the motorcycles influence the racing. I guess nothing is done about this because we need TV pictures and, on a long enough time scale, the assistance is evenly distributed.

Still, it’s weird to see motorcycles inside 10 metres of a chasing group. Even 50 metres might have a measurable effect.

it's strange that. there were plenty of times while I was watching it, that I was urging the motorcycle to stop riding directly in front of the contador group.

in general terms they are getting far too close far too often.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Stop moaning. You enjoyed the pictures,

Don't want what happened at the Vuelta a day after the Sagan crash.

Couldn't see a thing. Riders were mere specs on the horizon.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    I agree actually. I'm getting really bored of Kirby's almost constant moaning during every race he commentates on. We get it Carlton, you think the motorcycles are too close.

Although to be fair it doesn't matter if Kirby sees the riders from 2 feet or from space it would still be pot luck whether he identifies them.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Milton50 wrote:
    Although to be fair it doesn't matter if Kirby sees the riders from 2 feet or from space it would still be pot luck whether he identifies them.
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • professeur
    professeur Posts: 232
    Carlos Betancur is the only man to remove the Sky stranglehold on Paris-Nice in the last 5 editions (courtesy of a Thomas crash, of course).

SPTDW4151.jpg
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,705
    professeur wrote:
    Carlos Betancur is the only man to remove the Sky stranglehold on Paris-Nice in the last 5 editions (courtesy of a Thomas crash, of course).

SPTDW4151.jpg

He's never been the same rider since.
    Such a prestigious result that it went straight to his stomach.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103

Could drones be the answer?
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    mamil314 wrote:

If the question is 'what do those who go on and on complaining about the terrible commentary sound like', then yes, drones could be the answer.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    hahaha

Lovely to see Thomas' win being overshadowed by a former Sky employee whinging.

Thanks Sean.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    mamil314 wrote:

I think there are a couple of model helicopter/drone enthusiasts here who might be able to clarify - but can a drone do the sort of speeds that a professional cyclist gets to on a descent combined with the sharp and highspeed turns ?

If yes then with some seriously good flyers it would make for fascinating footage
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    There are currently very strict laws about flying drones in france.

There was also an incident recently where a drone fell out the sky and nearly took out a downhill skier.
  • ddraver
    Slalom skier #Pedant ;)
    - @ddraver
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    coriordan wrote:
    There are currently very strict laws about flying drones in france.

There was also an incident recently where a drone fell out the sky and nearly took out a downhill skier.

You're right - thinking about it there are just so many potential accidents waiting to happen. I rewatched that high speed crash that took out Cancellara from the TdF last year and frankly no acts should be taken that might increase the the risk of such incidents
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Not sure you could do it efficiently, the weight of the camera, transmitter, fast enough to follow the rider and the battery required for a long stage might be too much but it's a cool idea.

I've been followed by a drone on a bike for a short period of time and it's off-putting as it sounds like a swarm of angry bees following you!