• Apparently the climb wasn't hard enough, that's why Bertie didn't win
  • Henao was looking super strong on the final climb
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    #Bertscuse
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Couldn't get in his big ring is this stages excuse
  • #Bertscuse is my new thang. Ta ddraver!

Eee, that were great. Shame about Zakarin but hey ho

Sergio was immense for the boy Geraint
  • the way some are going on over at the asylum, you'd think that last climb was just a false flat
  • the way some are going on over at the asylum, you'd think that last climb was just a false flat

Geraint could go back to the Maindy Flyers & take on a group of 10 year olds, and the loonies would still behave like the twats they are
  • ddraver
    It's rare that I agree with JV recently but it is absurd that I havent watched the last 2 stages of one of the worlds larger races because there's another race on. Much love to the winner of T-A (Spoiler) but I would have like to see Gee stomping up the climb live too. Inevitably it was ruined by twitter so I ve put the rugby on instead...
    - @ddraver
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    Just watched TN and then PN on Eurosport, now flicked over to the Rugby... it's not hard ddraver, just stay off your phone!

Good ride by G and Henao, kept Contador under control. Was impressed with Yates as well, fought hard to finish 6th.

Zakarin - well he wheelsucked that the whole way up.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Good ride by Yates as well.

Shame G couldn't quite get the stage win but he should be able to defend that 15 seconds margin. He's just got to stay upright.....
  • ddraver
    dish_dash wrote:
    Just watched TN and then PN on Eurosport, now flicked over to the Rugby... it's not hard ddraver, just stay off your phone!

Good ride by G and Henao, kept Contador under control. Was impressed with Yates as well, fought hard to finish 6th.

Thanks, never thought of that. Had rather more in mind that the last 20 minutes though. It's stupid that P-N and T-A are on at the same time...

It's even more stupid when you remember that both races have has stages cancelled due to snow now...
    - @ddraver
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    British Eurosport showed T-A then over an hour of P-N. I'd have watched both if i hadn't had nodded off for half an hour
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Good day for cycling spectators! Good ride by Jeanessonn - - this was him before the Giro last year after a bad crash in a smaller race

It is not just the Tour de France, though, that Jeannesson might miss. At the end of his downbeat message, the 29-year-old went as far as to cast doubts over his future as a professional cyclist.

"I am going to have to rediscover my confidence and sense of pleasure on the bike during the second part of the season if I want to continue to do this job," he concluded.

c6117.jpg
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,706
    Wow, what a beautiful stage.

Definition of Panache: Waste loads of energy chasing 2 seconds, having casually given away 5 seconds earlier in the race.
    On the final climb, be sure to make a very early attack you know you can't sustain, so you are unable to contest the finish and thus miss the opportunity to fire your little gun. 8)

All nicely set up for the usual flurry of activity on the iconic Nice climbs, tomorrow.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    dish_dash wrote:

He's allowed. Not a big name yet.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I thought that it was a nice gesture from the Wales rugby team not to play properly until Geraint was ready to watch in the last ten minutes.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Enjoyed that. What I'm inclined to think from what I've seen is that Contador doesn't scare the 2nd tier climbers like he did a couple of years ago. He won the Giro but tbh there was no other top rider there.

Zakarin I trust about as much as a Labrador if I left a steak out in the kitchen. Henao saved it for G today, Yates did brilliantly to get back too.

Early season I know but I can't see Contador being a major factor in The Tour.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Possible arguement is that it wasn't steep/tough enough. I wonder/hope g could do the same on a sawtooth profile of HC climbs vs contador
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I agree, that's where Contador excels historically but IMO he's no longer in the same class as Froome or Quintana, and it's only a matter of time before Pinot/Yates/Bardet/Chaves overtake him too.
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    The end is always sad.

:(
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Joelsim wrote:
    Zakarin I trust about as much as a Labrador if I left a steak out in the kitchen.

Pretty much.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    Contador seems to have turned in to a show pony. Lots of early attacks which have no chance of achieving anything but look good for the tv.

I'm not sure "henao saved Thomas" is accurate either"
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,706
    RichN95 wrote:
    I thought that it was a nice gesture from the Wales rugby team not to play properly until Geraint was ready to watch in the last ten minutes.

If only he could have climbed fast enough to make it fifteen minutes.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • That 'turn' by Majka was something (it reminded me of a younger me :) )
  • I think Thomas would have got back to Contador after Contador upped the pace on the steep ramp and Thomas lost his wheel, sure Henao was super strong on the climb and done his job amazingly well but i think Thomas would have got back on
  • That 'turn' by Majka was something (it reminded me of a younger me :) )

:)
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Contador on the attack in today's final stage & has 30 seconds on the yellow jersey group.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    A bit of a mess up by Sky to let Contador give them the slip like that. Tinkoff having two up the road should have set off alarm bells.
  • Pross
    Roche doing a great job at bringing the gap down if the GPS is correct, 10 seconds back in about 10km.
  • Pross
    Back in sight, Nico earning his salary here he's saved a few of the Sky riders' legs for Col D'Eze.