Transfers 2017 : Rumours and fact

Comments

• dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,561
    All IAM riders were on one year contracts...
  • dish_dash
    Oh come on... no one want to talk about Astana being in prime position to hire Sagan... :D
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    dish_dash wrote:
    Oh come on... no one want to talk about Astana being in prime position to hire Sagan... :D
    It's a shame.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    "What is it about the $5 million contract that makes you want to ride for Astana, Peter?"

(said by someone on twitter, forgot who)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    What's wrong with moving for money?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    What's wrong with moving for money?

It's a disgrace professional sportspeople taking a job for more money. They should work for love like people in 'normal' jobs do.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    I appreciate that I'm a hippy working for an Oil Company (for 1 more month at least) but it would be nice if Peter appraised the team a little before accepting the contract.

More so with Astana as I don't really see much of a Classics support team there right now...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • v2p
    v2p Posts: 36
    Apparently Sagan might be moving along with his brother, Erik Baška, Michael Kolar and Oscar Gatto.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,649
    They've got a few second/third tier classics riders, Westra and Boom spring to mind immediately
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Have you done Degenkolb to Trek?

Done deal according to Cycling Weekly
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    Now THAT is a big big cobbled team. oof.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,832
    I think Degenkolb would be better bang for buck for Trek compared to Van Marke. Degenkolb is a much more versatile rider.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    and not as badly damaged as some would expect considering he sprints differently now because of his chronic finger injury.
  • dish_dash
    Pip Gilbert has a new team for next year...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    dish_dash wrote:
    Pip Gilbert has a new team for next year...
    There's been talk of him returning to Lotto
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    rozzer32 wrote:
    I think Degenkolb would be better bang for buck for Trek compared to Van Marke. Degenkolb is a much more versatile rider.
    The talk is now of Degenkolb going to Trek and Matthews replacing him at Giant.

Also Bertie to Trek as well.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    RichN95 wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:

Matthews to Giant-Alpecin seems an unusual move to me. He's a good rider, but the type of sprints he does best in are at the end of hilly days in stage races, which will be the same kind of races that Dumoulin and Barguil will be targeting, and expecting GC support in.
  • andyp wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:

Matthews to Giant-Alpecin seems an unusual move to me. He's a good rider, but the type of sprints he does best in are at the end of hilly days in stage races, which will be the same kind of races that Dumoulin and Barguil will be targeting, and expecting GC support in.

Not signed yet. It's one offer but he has others - inc Sky, so I understand. But I'm pretty sure he won't accept their offer (rightly unconvinced of team support he'd get)
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    Not signed yet. It's one offer but he has others - inc Sky, so I understand. But I'm pretty sure he won't accept their offer (rightly unconvinced of team support he'd get)

Sky seems equally odd. I assume Ben Swift is out of contract this year?

I'd have thought Cannondale would be trying to sign someone like Matthews, they desperately need a rider who can actually win races.
  • andyp wrote:

Sky seems equally odd. I assume Ben Swift is out of contract this year?

I'd have thought Cannondale would be trying to sign someone like Matthews, they desperately need a rider who can actually win races.

its the cycling equivalent of choosing from a restaurant menu: Brailsford's eyes are bigger than his belly. And he has a massive budget to deploy (which he always busts anyway)
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Seems to me that Matthews is in a bit of an awkward position. He's good enough and famous enough to be worth a big-money contract, but for each of the big-money teams a reasonable argument can be found against him fitting in with the existing set-up*.

*imo, natch
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    hmmm. the trouble with Orica is they have 2 very nearly identical options for the hilly classics. if I were them I'd go for Matthews and pension Gerrans off. one's the future, ones the past ( though he has a fantastic palmares considering).
  • dish_dash
    Dennis stays at BMC
  • rick_chasey
    $$$$$$$$$
  • dish_dash
    nah man... it's cuz they got the set up to develop him into a quality GC rider...
  • rick_chasey
    ...for lots of money.
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    http://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20160629_02363304

Het Nieuwsblad reporting Bora's new sponsor is Hansgrohe (kitchen, bathroom firm). Sagan and Majka to Bora-Hansgrohe
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,649
    Juraj Sagan?
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Juraj Sagan?

Both Sagans!
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    T-bone Pinot signs for another 2 years at FDJ