Donald Trump

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Nope.

He did it. Its in the past, done and noted in the MAGA mindset.

He undermined himself in Jan, this was a scrape through job to keep his position whilst trying to prove he isn't a RINO as Dotard has stated and retain the MAGA support.

Your second point is flawed as well unforts. Urgency was given but Biden didn't have the backing, both from his own party and the Reps. Lack of support has meant he hasn't been able to fo a lot of what he wants to.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle said:

Urgency was given but Biden didn't have the backing, both from his own party and the Reps. Lack of support has meant he hasn't been able to fo a lot of what he wants to.

I mean, that sounds like it wasn't treated as urgent enough.

• McCarthy was more willing to do a deal with the extreme chaos driven Republicans than talk to Democrats. I'm not sure what Democrats could do about that when the extremists were eventually willing to take a deal.
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

Urgency was given but Biden didn't have the backing, both from his own party and the Reps. Lack of support has meant he hasn't been able to fo a lot of what he wants to.

you can make it as urgent as you want but if you don't have the votes to pass legislation it don'tmeanshit

Imean, I urgently need a 6 month holiday the Seychelles but I ain't gonna get it.
  • MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

you can make it as urgent as you want but if you don't have the votes to pass legislation it don'tmeanshit

Imean, I urgently need a 6 month holiday the Seychelles but I ain't gonna get it.
    Exactly - so why not prioritise a bill to raise the debt ceiling on its own that nobody can object to?
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

Exactly - so why not prioritise a bill to raise the debt ceiling on its own that nobody can object to?
    because its - obviously - not that simple and it never has been whether Dem or Rep in power.

you do realise that these are never, ever single issue bills, yah?
  • MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

because its - obviously - not that simple and it never has been whether Dem or Rep in power.

you do realise that these are never, ever single issue bills, yah?
    It could have been a budget 2023 bill, which could go through reconciliation because they needed to avoid a filibuster in the senate. Having already lost the house, that would have no real impact as there isn't going to be another bill that needs to avoid the filibuster.

This would have taken a few weeks, but they left it too late and wanted a Christmas holiday.
  • MattFalle
    No.

That is pie in the sky snd ee honestly can't blieve yhat you believe what you typed

Reconciliation bill? More chance of banning guns in Texas.

• MattFalle said:

No.

That is pie in the sky snd ee honestly can't blieve yhat you believe what you typed

Reconciliation bill? More chance of banning guns in Texas.

Haha - you really don't know what you are talking about.
  • MattFalle
    Seriously?

you honestly, honestly think that a so called "Reconciliation Bill" would pass on amassively contraversial issue that goes against fundamental basic Rep principles in a highly contentious house with no add on legislation?

The Reps don't evenfuckingthink there is anything to "reconcile". They don't evenfuckingthink they lost the election ffs.

Are you Chasey in disguise?

Seriously, seriously?

#fuckmetheresnomilk
  • MattFalle said:

Seriously?

you honestly, honestly think that a so called "Reconciliation Bill" would pass on amassively contraversial issue that goes against fundamental basic Rep principles in a highly contentious house with no add on legislation?

The Reps don't evenfuckingthink there is anything to "reconcile". They don't evenfuckingthink they lost the election ffs.

Are you Chasey in disguise?

Seriously, seriously?

#fuckmetheresnomilk

:D:D:D

• It might help to understand what Reconciliation means in this context: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reconciliation_(United_States_Congress)
  • MattFalle
    you actually haven't read that in the current context and looking at what actually happened, have you?

No, we didn't think so

#milk
  • MattFalle said:

you actually haven't read that in the current context and looking at what actually happened, have you?

No, we didn't think so

#milk

Yes - I'll try to spell it out for you. The Democrats had control of the house, senate and white house until 3rd January this year. They had the opportunity to pass a reconciliation bill in the senate and house that raised the debt ceiling, and get it signed by the President before that date. They knew that they were going to lose control of the house in early November.

They didn't do that. So now, there is no opportunity to do any legislating because there is deadlock, and the Republicans only have one string to pull to get anything they want, which is that the US debt will break through the debt ceiling if nothing happens, and in theory cause the US to have to default on its debt.
  • MattFalle
    fella - Ernie's already gone but if you cut through the gennel you'll catch him up.
  • At least you've learned what reconciliation is today.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,629

At least you've learned what reconciliation is today.

So there's a three reconciliation bill limit each year. Keeping them back for some other purpose maybe? Ukraine funding?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,243
    edited January 2023

At least you've learned what reconciliation is today.

So there's a three reconciliation bill limit each year. Keeping them back for some other purpose maybe? Ukraine funding?
    Nope.

The point of using the reconciliation bill specifically was because it avoids needing any bipartisan support, as this type of bill can get through the senate without needing the 60 votes to override a filibuster.

Anything that goes through the house and senate and to the WH now needs bipartisan support anyway, so there's nothing to be gained from using it.
  • MattFalle
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,901
    MattFalle said:
    Trump not directly involved/charged, but let's hope it's foreplay to some things closer to home... Jack Smith was busy before Christmas issuing several subpoenas to key players in the Georgia 'find me votes' case. At least in that one, there is direct evidence of Trump's involvement, with recorded phone calls of precise instructions, unlike the "That's a nice house you have there" type that he would normally employ. And the laws seems fairly clear-cut.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,769
    Good!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

Good!

And that "nice guy" is a Trump appointee, so he can't claim he's a Democrat stooge. I'm hoping that Garland has pulled a blinder here: both treated equally, so removing the ammunition from el Trumpo goons and giving even more legitimacy to whatever Smith rains down on Trump.

Or @MattFalle might be right and Trump will still get off, and America will be screwed, with rogue presidents who can do anything and get away with it.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,682
    There is a long running and very on it 'The Last Trump' thread on the YACF forum (yes, another cycling forum ref so that's me getting banned 😉) well worth a read. Look for 'The Pub' then POBI 'Politics and Other Big Issues'. Contributors on there are well versed.
  • MattFalle
    Bet you a fiver nothing happens to either of them
  • MattFalle
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Hmm, seems the legal system is clipping the wings of his favourite tactic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64347994
  • briantrumpet
    Just a reminder of what Trump is... this is his 'balanced' view today....

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,769
    Good!

Just a reminder of what Trump is... this is his 'balanced' view today....

Nice of him to address some questions raised in the Ukraine thread.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 1,754
    This is interesting. Trump wants riots if he is arrested, but supporters not keen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65019136