Donald Trump

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703
    MattFalle said:

dennisn said:

MattFalle said:

essentially it doesn't matter what trump says re vaccines as his base are as thick as pigshit and will believe what they want no matter who says what but more whether the Dems can get Manchin on side and Biden sticks to electoral promises and doesn't lose votes in finely balanced Houses ....

......... a good deal of muddle class america is willing to overlook all of his obvious flaws in the interests of their personal taxation.
    No sh*t.... Who likes high taxes?
    depends what you get for them - don't complain about crappublic services and roads when ypu pay low taxes.

we pay all our tax and don't mind because we kinda give ashit about schools, hospitals, etc.

anyhow, we're not talking about taxing low/middle earners here, we're talking about taxing the rich and the super rich which, for some utterly unknown reason, the middle and lower earners seem to be throwing a hissy fit about.
    Low tax in the US is deceptive, when you have to find $100k+ for college fees or when you hit the upper limit of the health insurance coverage on a given condition. Just a case of when you pay it.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

MattFalle said:

dennisn said:

MattFalle said:

essentially it doesn't matter what trump says re vaccines as his base are as thick as pigshit and will believe what they want no matter who says what but more whether the Dems can get Manchin on side and Biden sticks to electoral promises and doesn't lose votes in finely balanced Houses ....

......... a good deal of muddle class america is willing to overlook all of his obvious flaws in the interests of their personal taxation.
    depends what you get for them - don't complain about crappublic services and roads when ypu pay low taxes.

we pay all our tax and don't mind because we kinda give ashit about schools, hospitals, etc.

anyhow, we're not talking about taxing low/middle earners here, we're talking about taxing the rich and the super rich which, for some utterly unknown reason, the middle and lower earners seem to be throwing a hissy fit about.
    Low tax in the US is deceptive, when you have to find $100k+ for college fees or when you hit the upper limit of the health insurance coverage on a given condition. Just a case of when you pay it.
    the average US'ian gets horribly, horribly screwed for everything but they seem determined to protect the horribly rich. I honestly don't understand it.

Exactly as you say: healthcare, college fees, teachers paying for school supplies, rubbish outdated infrastructure, etc etc

but at least they guns and a massive, massive hugely inefficient military. ffs.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976

pblakeney said:

dennisn said:

MattFalle said:

The Nordics.
    Who also happen to rate highest in the "Who's happiest" and "Quality of life" ratings.
    Thaaank yooooou oil.

The real trick they worked out was that sharing out the massive money windfall would make everyone happy.
    That was a massive windfall used sensibly, unlike other countries. They still have high taxes, which was more to the point, and Nordics include more than Norway.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    edited January 2022
    Norway - 1st place
    Iceland - 4th place
    Sweden - 7th place
    Denmark - 10th place
    Finland - 11th place
    UK - 13th place
  • First.Aspect
    MattFalle said:

Norway - 1st place
    Iceland - 4th place
    Sweden - 7th place
    Denmark - 10th place
    Finland - 11th place
    UK - 13th place

Is that Eurovision?

I didn't think we did that well.
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

Norway - 1st place
    Iceland - 4th place
    Sweden - 7th place
    Denmark - 10th place
    Finland - 11th place
    UK - 13th place

Is that Eurovision?

No - best places in the world to live.

you are right, you came last 'cos youshit.

we won it, much like we won the Euros 'cos you your lot isshit.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,103
    MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

Norway - 1st place
    Iceland - 4th place
    Sweden - 7th place
    Denmark - 10th place
    Finland - 11th place
    UK - 13th place

Is that Eurovision?

I think there are more than 13 countries.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • MattFalle
    rjsterry said:

MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

Norway - 1st place
    Iceland - 4th place
    Sweden - 7th place
    Denmark - 10th place
    Finland - 11th place
    UK - 13th place

Is that Eurovision?

12 of which are ahead of the UK.

Britain. It ain't that great
  • Where did Italy come in that list?
  • Obviously the weather isn't considered to be important to the quality of life.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rjsterry
    MattFalle said:

rjsterry said:

MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

Norway - 1st place
    Iceland - 4th place
    Sweden - 7th place
    Denmark - 10th place
    Finland - 11th place
    UK - 13th place

Is that Eurovision?

12 of which are ahead of the UK.

Britain. It ain't that great
    If it's 13th behind a load of colder darker places, that's fine.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537

Where did Italy come in that list?

If it's the same list that I saw (which also had Britain in 13th...)

Miles back.
  • MattFalle
    edited January 2022
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    TBH I'm kind of an Ayn Rand person in that I believe most of you wouldn't even have jobs if it weren't for the, so called, filthy rich. They are the ones with the brains, ideas, and willingness to work. Seems fine to me if they can reap the rewards of their hard work. Don't you want to reap the rewards(money) for whatever it is you do for a living? Also, FWIW YOU are the ones buying what the evil money grubbers are making. If your not willing or happy to pay for what you want, start your own business and make something useful that people will buy.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976
    Gave up on tax and moved on to envy then.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,201
    "We don't pay taxes; only the little people pay taxes"

Leona Helmsley, USAnian businesswoman, socialite and convicted tax evader.
  • First.Aspect
    edited January 2022
    dennisn said:

TBH I'm kind of an Ayn Rand person in that I believe most of you wouldn't even have jobs if it weren't for the, so called, filthy rich. They are the ones with the brains, ideas, and willingness to work. Seems fine to me if they can reap the rewards of their hard work. Don't you want to reap the rewards(money) for whatever it is you do for a living? Also, FWIW YOU are the ones buying what the evil money grubbers are making. If your not willing or happy to pay for what you want, start your own business and make something useful that people will buy.

Do you believe in tithes, say a proportion of the value of potatoes you can grow on the field the lord allows you to use, or is some form of progressive taxation okay in your philosophy?
  • dennisn said:

They wouldn't have money if it weren't for the systems that taxes pay for.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    Yet again a point goes floating well above Dennis's head.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Ah Dennis, welcome to the British class system.

Britain has centuries of experience of the kind of “it matters who your parents are” social immobility that now encumbers even white America.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

Britain has centuries of experience of the kind of “it matters who your parents are” social immobility that now encumbers even white America.

Also the British don’t get their sense of humour removed at birth.
  • rick_chasey
    webboo said:

Also the British don’t get their sense of humour removed at birth.
    Explains why mine was 😬
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537
    Blue lives matter?
  • rick_chasey
    edited January 2022
    So a pessimistic take is that the Rep party has really abandoned its commitment to democracy.

A poll puts something like half of signed up members to the Rep party as willing to ditch democracy in return for having their own guy in charge (presumably off-the-back of the same poll finding that 2/3rds think the election was "stolen" by Biden)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/05/17/republicans-are-sprinting-away-democracy/

I would say that if you tolerate putsches, then you'll likely have more attempts. There are too many examples that show that if you don't crack down on them they're just treated as practice runs and the lack of enforcement emboldens the insurectionists.

Obviously this is fairly concerning given they are the biggest player in the world. No country is immune from anti-democratic tendencies, not even ones who spent vastly in blood and money to "spread" democracy around the world for almost a century.
  • First.Aspect
    I think this is a good summary. There are lunatics in the Trump mold queuing up behind. Some will superficially appear less extreme.

However long it takes the US to move through this period of introversion, this misguided attempt to convince itself of its own superiority, it will emerge the other side to a world in which it is far less important. I think the irony is that this will bring forward the US's diminishment, not stave it off.

I'm no historian. When Britain's influence was waning, was there any analogous political and cultural trend?
  • MattFalle
    dennisn said:

brains, willingness to work?

you what?

taking advatage of historical family wealth, advatage of cheap labour, suppression of unions, suppression of fair pay, worker rights and so on?

Look closely at the current crop of billionaires - Gates, Musk, etc and you'll see you're talking shyte.

Dennis, you be living in cloud cuckoo land.
  • First.Aspect
    MattFalle said:

dennisn said:

you what?

taking advatage of historical family wealth, advatage of cheap labour, suppression of unions, suppression of fair pay, worker rights and so on?

Look closely at the current crop of billionaires - Gates, Musk, etc and you'll see you're talking shyte.

Dennis should try riding public transit on a cold winter night in any US city. If he's brave enough he should try talking to some of the people sleeping there.
  • rjsterry

I think this is a good summary. There are lunatics in the Trump mold queuing up behind. Some will superficially appear less extreme.

However long it takes the US to move through this period of introversion, this misguided attempt to convince itself of its own superiority, it will emerge the other side to a world in which it is far less important. I think the irony is that this will bring forward the US's diminishment, not stave it off.

I'm no historian. When Britain's influence was waning, was there any analogous political and cultural trend?

Mosley?

There's a good chunk of the current Conservative party seemingly unaware that we don't have an empire any more.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• MattFalle

MattFalle said:

dennisn said:

you what?

Dennis should try riding public transit on a cold winter night in any US city. If he's brave enough he should try talking to some of the people sleeping there.
    methinks Dennis hasn't ventured further than the golf club for a very, very long while.