Donald Trump

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Jezyboy said:

I imagine that things will settle down a lot pandemic wise between now and the next election.

It's also not like Epstein and Trump never met. I'm not sure it's a productive avenue for him.

That's what I mean. Both would want Maxwell and her book to disappear.
  • ballysmate

What odds Michelle Obama running? Now there's someone who would scare the GOP.

Amazingly you could be right. Never held political office.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,631

Previous experience can be a disadvantage.
  • ballysmate
    Wasn't there someone else elected with no political experience? Name escapes me at the mo.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,557

Nor had Trump had he? He only rejoined the Republican party a few years before running.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,690
    From the orange kerunt's wedding #.... whatever.

Maybe some dental works in evidence.

got a feeling I posted this on here somewhere before. Memories....
  • ballysmate
    Pross said:

Nor had Trump had he? He only rejoined the Republican party a few years before running.
    See my post directly above yours.

You would hope they would learn from their experiences wouldn't you?
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,921
    I'd argue that the position of first lady is such that, depending on the incumbent, it can be seen as a political office.

Melania clearly had no interest in making it such, but this makes her an outlier.

Besides I'd say the lack of experience was the least of Trumps problems. His brand of populism falters hard when confronted by reality.
  • First.Aspect
    Pross said:

🛩 (whoosh)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,557

Pross said:

🛩 (whoosh)
    I didn't see the follow up comment.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,709
    I don’t think it’s too much of an exaggeration that, in light of the efforts to stage a coup, that a second term of Trump is a material risk to global security.
  • ballysmate

I don’t think it’s too much of an exaggeration that, in light of the efforts to stage a coup, that a second term of Trump is a material risk to global security.

Well the Donkeys better come up with a candidate with a chance of beating him then.
    HC failed once and KH has no hope.
  • Beaker would be a great presidential muppet. Meeeep!
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,916
    Documented tax fraud, anyone? It looks like NYAG has got some interesting reading... long threads, but worth a gander.

• ballysmate

I think the point is more is that movement in the wrong direction is always bad and relying on the "it'll never happen here" isn't really enough; there is always an incentive for those in power to erode democracy and so it's incumbent on anyone and everyone to maintain vigilance against that.

I thought it remarkable that someone like @ballysmate was defending the erosion of the right to protest because he didn't like the protesters. That's the kind of stuff that long-term can cause problems in a democracy.

You obviously didn't read the thread properly did you? Nor the legislation.
    I said that the law is drafted in a way to deal with ALL demonstrations. I think IIRC that the term I used was it has to be sufficiently vague. I gave examples of the recent protests where Extinction Rebellion blocked ambulances and how the law would impact other groups such as EDL.
    I don't recall expressing support or condemnation of any group. It was YOU who seemed concerned because you felt it was directed at a group you had sympathy for.
    On the subject of only viewing the law through the prism of only causes that you support I will post in the Colston thread as it is probably more apt.

• rick_chasey
    You see, when I called Trump and Trumpism fascist, or at the very least fascistic, I really wasn't exaggerating.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,916

You see, when I called Trump and Trumpism fascist, or at the very least fascistic, I really wasn't exaggerating.

Don't be silly.

To early to say that.

Too late to do anything about it.
  • First.Aspect
    It is very sad, but isn't it a bit pointless, given how information flows on the internet anyway? Strikes me as another example of and older generation trying to make the world what it was (or what they thought it was) when they were younger.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,921
    Cancel culture.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    It is a special kind of person that goes to a library to loan a book. Reads it then complains about it. They could have stopped at any point and handed it back. Some people really don't that to be able to think you have to risk offending people.
  • rick_chasey
    john80 said:

It is a special kind of person that goes to a library to loan a book. Reads it then complains about it. They could have stopped at any point and handed it back. Some people really don't that to be able to think you have to risk offending people.

It's symbolic.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,674
    john80 said:

It's not the people doing the reading who are complaining.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • First.Aspect
    Do these libraries still have books to help people to not be gay, do you think?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776

Do these libraries still have books to help people to not be gay, do you think?

Simple - 🙏
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • The Jon Ronson podcast Things Fell Apart is very interesting, has a story of the origins of this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0011ldn
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    America First

Long past any attempt to hide who and what they are

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    Yes this is why Europe needs to tool up as America are not reliable from election cycle to election cycle.