Donald Trump

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    UK thus far does not have any history of material votes for anti-democratic parties.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    Not sure what you are all talking about. It's obvious that a hedge fund manager making millions a year is making more stuff and giving employment to more people than, for example, the guy who owns a small fabrication business and only takes home a normallish salary. Oh...

I've got nothing against the super wealthy as long as they pay their fair dues and do accept the point that they also help spread wealth directly or indirectly (by purchasing pointless tat such as expensive dog clothes that someone is being paid to make or sell) and whilst there are some poor people who refuse to help themselves many will be working equally hard with the super rich benefitting from that hard work. Going back a couple of centuries but the likes of the mine owners / mill owners / foundry owners / railroad companies (for our US audience) made their fortunes of the work, and sometimes lives, of poor people with the descendants of many of those families having been able to live comfortably off the investment of those fortunes for generations with very little additional work.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

UK thus far does not have any history of material votes for anti-democratic parties.

apart from every singlefucking vote for the Cuntservatives ever
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • UK thus far does not have any history of material votes for anti-democratic parties.

I know what you mean but I am sure you are equally capable of arguing that our entire system is anti-democratic
  • rick_chasey

I know what you mean but I am sure you are equally capable of arguing that our entire system is anti-democratic
    It's all relative, and I think it's easy to forget when you're in the thick of it how bad it really could be.

Absolutely the past year has seen Britain move more than it has in a while towards less democratic, especially with the new laws around rights to protest (or not), but it is a long long long way to China, for example.
  • MattFalle

It's all relative, and I think it's easy to forget when you're in the thick of it how bad it really could be.

Absolutely the past year has seen Britain move more than it has in a while towards less democratic, especially with the new laws around rights to protest (or not), but it is a long long long way to China, for example.
    tbh, its not getting far off espesh if the Prittster has her way.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162

I read on Bike Radar that we are becoming a police state.
  • rick_chasey
    I think the point is more is that movement in the wrong direction is always bad and relying on the "it'll never happen here" isn't really enough; there is always an incentive for those in power to erode democracy and so it's incumbent on anyone and everyone to maintain vigilance against that.

I thought it remarkable that someone like @ballysmate was defending the erosion of the right to protest because he didn't like the protesters. That's the kind of stuff that long-term can cause problems in a democracy.
  • MattFalle
    Pross said:

I read on Bike Radar that we are becoming a police state.
    I also read on BikeRadar that I should carry a space blanket with me when I go for a ride on my bicycle through some local villages.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541

I think the point is more is that movement in the wrong direction is always bad and relying on the "it'll never happen here" isn't really enough; there is always an incentive for those in power to erode democracy and so it's incumbent on anyone and everyone to maintain vigilance against that.

I thought it remarkable that someone like @ballysmate was defending the erosion of the right to protest because he didn't like the protesters. That's the kind of stuff that long-term can cause problems in a democracy.

I think you just missed his point as that doesn't sound like an accurate summary.
  • UK thus far does not have any history of material votes for anti-democratic parties.

I was thinking of the electoral system and the unelected 2nd Chamber

I would give it about 3/4 out of 10
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

dennisn said:

TBH I'm kind of an Ayn Rand person in that I believe most of you wouldn't even have jobs if it weren't for the, so called, filthy rich. They are the ones with the brains, ideas, and willingness to work. Seems fine to me if they can reap the rewards of their hard work. Don't you want to reap the rewards(money) for whatever it is you do for a living? Also, FWIW YOU are the ones buying what the evil money grubbers are making. If your not willing or happy to pay for what you want, start your own business and make something useful that people will buy.

brains, willingness to work?

you what?

taking advatage of historical family wealth, advatage of cheap labour, suppression of unions, suppression of fair pay, worker rights and so on?

Look closely at the current crop of billionaires - Gates, Musk, etc and you'll see you're talking shyte.

Dennis, you be living in cloud cuckoo land.
    Dennis should try riding public transit on a cold winter night in any US city. If he's brave enough he should try talking to some of the people sleeping there.
    methinks Dennis hasn't ventured further than the golf club for a very, very long while.
    Methinks you think you know me. Never played a round of golf in my life. Never played tennis either, if it matters. Or polo. You believe that because I don't think like you that I'm the idiot. OK by me.
  • MattFalle
    dennisn said:

MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

dennisn said:

TBH I'm kind of an Ayn Rand person in that I believe most of you wouldn't even have jobs if it weren't for the, so called, filthy rich. They are the ones with the brains, ideas, and willingness to work. Seems fine to me if they can reap the rewards of their hard work. Don't you want to reap the rewards(money) for whatever it is you do for a living? Also, FWIW YOU are the ones buying what the evil money grubbers are making. If your not willing or happy to pay for what you want, start your own business and make something useful that people will buy.

you what?

taking advatage of historical family wealth, advatage of cheap labour, suppression of unions, suppression of fair pay, worker rights and so on?

Look closely at the current crop of billionaires - Gates, Musk, etc and you'll see you're talking shyte.

Dennis should try riding public transit on a cold winter night in any US city. If he's brave enough he should try talking to some of the people sleeping there.
    methinks Dennis hasn't ventured further than the golf club for a very, very long while.
    Methinks you think you know me. Never played a round of golf in my life. Never played tennis either, if it matters. Or polo. You believe that because I don't think like you that I'm the idiot. OK by me.
    yes, this.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,704
    dennisn said:

MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

dennisn said:

you what?

Are you a member of one of those country clubs that doesn't advertise for members and that you can't ask to join?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Did you get arrested down the White House with the others.
  • MattFalle
    I can actually never understand why people like Dennis think that taxing the rich is wrong.

Honestly confused
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    MattFalle said:

I can actually never understand why people like Dennis think that taxing the rich is wrong.

Honestly confused

Maybe because he’s rich.
  • MattFalle
    webboo said:

MattFalle said:

Honestly confused

Maybe because he’s rich.
    which he isn't as he has confirmed before.

he's just like the majority of us on here - normal, getting through, few treats, mortgage, etc
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    edited January 2022
    webboo said:

MattFalle said:

Honestly confused

Maybe because he’s rich.
    Well, there are plenty of people out there who might consider me rich. Then again there are plenty of people out there who live a way pricier life than I do(or can). Depends on what you consider rich. Do I have a condo in Aspen and a monster home atop some tower in NYC? Nope. Do I live in a dirt floor, stick shack in Rio? Nope. Somewhere in between would probably apply.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    As the Trumpster thread hasn't dropped off the first page I assume he still interests you all.
    With Sleepy Joe enjoying approval ratings of 33% and his intended successor Kamala looking even a worse option than her boss, there is apparently serious talk of Hillary running again.
    Trump Clinton the rematch.
    What price Gisele Maxwell's little black book disappearing or her be falling a nasty accident?
  • rick_chasey

As the Trumpster thread hasn't dropped off the first page I assume he still interests you all.
    With Sleepy Joe enjoying approval ratings of 33% and his intended successor Kamala looking even a worse option than her boss, there is apparently serious talk of Hillary running again.
    What price Gisele Maxwell's little black book disappearing or her be falling a nasty accident?

I am curious as it's been a while since you've posted, if you had to pick between Kamala or Trump who would you vote for?
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537
    I imagine that things will settle down a lot pandemic wise between now and the next election.

It's also not like Epstein and Trump never met. I'm not sure it's a productive avenue for him.
  • ballysmate

I am curious as it's been a while since you've posted, if you had to pick between Kamala or Trump who would you vote for?
    It would be a poser, I grant you.
    Having to pick between 2 incompetent candidates. One with a problem with race and gender and the other one on the ballot only there because of race and gender.
    KH was tasked with job of sorting out the southern border immigration and was totally out of her depth, taking incompetence to Olympic gold levels.
    In truth neither would be worthy of a vote.
    Perhaps I would look at the choice of VP and hope for another Lee Harvey Oswald
  • rick_chasey
    edited January 2022

Having to pick between 2 incompetent candidates. One with a problem with race and gender and the other one on the ballot only there because of race and gender.
    KH was tasked with job of sorting out the southern border immigration and was totally out of her depth, taking incompetence to Olympic gold levels.
    Racism is America's original sin, so not enormously surprising that is a dividing line.

Shame you didn't answer; I am a bit disappointed you think KH is as bad a Trump; as well as his far right tendencies he has absolutely no interested in democracy and is going out of his way to dismantle that, which aligns with his feting of other strongman dictators.

KH would not do that, and you know it!
  • ballysmate

Racism is America's original sin, so not enormously surprising that is a dividing line.

Shame you didn't answer; I am a bit disappointed you think KH is as bad a Trump; as well as his far right tendencies he has absolutely no interested in democracy and is going out of his way to dismantle that, which aligns with his feting of other strongman dictators.

Jesus wept. Her own party don't think she is up to the job so why should they expect the man in the street to vote for her?
    What level of incompetence does she have to sink to in order for her to lose your vote?
    Trump may be everything you claim, but that doesn't improve Harris'qualities.
    Hopefully both parties will find alternatives before the next election.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,704
    What odds Michelle Obama running? Now there's someone who would scare the GOP.
  • rick_chasey
    edited January 2022

Jesus wept. Her own party don't think she is up to the job so why should they expect the man in the street to vote for her?
    What level of incompetence does she have to sink to in order for her to lose your vote?
    Come on Bally don’t hide behind other people’s views, I’m asking for yours.

Surely even you agree that a candidate who wants to dismantle democracy goes at the bottom of the pile regardless?
  • As the Trumpster thread hasn't dropped off the first page I assume he still interests you all.

Incompetence is about 200 times better than what Trump would be offering.

When given two options, you don't always get the luxury of deciding which of those would be good.
  • ballysmate

Come on Bally don’t hide behind other people’s views, I’m asking for yours.

Surely even you agree that a candidate who wants to dismantle democracy goes at the bottom of the pile regardless?
    Well in those terms and if a spoilt ballot is not an option then I would hold my nose and vote for KH and accept the consequences.
    But it doesn't look like that will happen, the Democrats have realised she is a liability and would likely lose them the election. Playing the identity politics card has come back to bite 'em on the ar5e.
    I've said on here that the Trump/Clinton election offered the worst choice in history, only to have to re evaluate my opinion following the Trump/Biden election.
    A Trump/Harris election would even surpass that. Note the common denominator is Trump.
  • rick_chasey

Playing the identity politics card has come back to bite 'em on the ar5e.

TBF, I think Trump plays the identity politics card too, just on the other side.