Donald Trump

Comments

• tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    You have to also factor in his service as a senator IMHO. Not a life threatening service but he served with honour there too. A political hero you could say. Some see trump as a political hero of their's. I can't work out why but I'm not a mathematical genius, officer type who's passed the hardest exam ever! The exam only fish2 and Trump passed ever because it's so hard.

Oh when will the world find a way to filter out of public awareness the likes of trump and fish2?

BTW I kind of knew a good few years ago when he stood for president (even before courtesy of BBC news) a lot of what he went through. I never feted him but I can still appreciate his service for America. In fact I recall it's a widely known fact that he was captured, held for a long time and was generally considered a hero. There's been other senators who stood for president who were considered heroes that were criticised and accused of not being a hero by groups of veterans. AFAIK McCain was never accused of playing up his national service unlike others. His service wasn't subject to doubt among some politically active veteran groupings.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    FishFish wrote:
    I've never claimed an impressive 'military leadership record - I was just an officer in a good regiment for 8 years.

And I don't have to prove anything - just like you.

On a 'graduate' course at Sandhurst - which doesn't exist. There was and is no such thing. Unless you were on a PQO course, which you haven't previously mentioned...
  • tangled_metal
    FishFish wrote:
    Why is someone a hero who has flown military jets in your country's service, been shot down, been captured, suffered 5.5 years captivity and then come home to serve your country as a senator for 30+ years? I really cannot see anything about him that makes him a hero.

Yes, I'm with Trump and fish2 on this. A real hero uses family wealth/status and a barrage of lawyers to keep them out of national service in times of war. Heroes like Trump and Bush junior. I would feel so much safer with their kind of national service!

(also fish2's service if the consensus is right about Walt).

You might have missed the point. I was asking why he was a military hero and you have identified flying a jet which does not in itself constitute heroism. Anyway one of your friends has read Wiki and answered the simple question I asked. But thanks. I don't agree with your comment on the relative merit of draft dodging although I think that was the right response for Vietnam.

...and please don't go there...
    Just highlighted the whole section you deliberately edited. It was all those highlighted bits that made him a hero. If you noticed it was a grammatically poor but very long question that included a lot of what I thought made him a hero.

If you need to edit a comment in such a deliberately misleading way to make a comment then your comment is totally vacuous and without merit. Try to make your points better. Ppl might actually have more respect for you if you do.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    You have to also factor in his service as a senator IMHO. Not a life threatening service but he served with honour there too. A political hero you could say. Some see trump as a political hero of their's. I can't work out why but I'm not a mathematical genius, officer type who's passed the hardest exam ever! The exam only fish2 and Trump passed ever because it's so hard.

Oh when will the world find a way to filter out of public awareness the likes of trump and fish2?

BTW I kind of knew a good few years ago when he stood for president (even before courtesy of BBC news) a lot of what he went through. I never feted him but I can still appreciate his service for America. In fact I recall it's a widely known fact that he was captured, held for a long time and was generally considered a hero. There's been other senators who stood for president who were considered heroes that were criticised and accused of not being a hero by groups of veterans. AFAIK McCain was never accused of playing up his national service unlike others. His service wasn't subject to doubt among some politically active veteran groupings.

I can agree with part of what you say but the issue I raised is military heroism and I accept what has been explained. I'm glad, but slightly perturbed that you are taking a close personal interest. I did well in my Part III because they restrict entrance to those who are going to do well. I don't think Donald Trump was on the course. In this diet (sitting) I got two passes, one merit and one distinction - which is below average. ...for those who sat. OK?

Keep going - loving it!
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • FishFish
    Imposter wrote:
    FishFish wrote:
    I've never claimed an impressive 'military leadership record - I was just an officer in a good regiment for 8 years.

On a 'graduate' course at Sandhurst - which doesn't exist. There was and is no such thing. Unless you were on a PQO course, which you haven't previously mentioned...

Don't know what PQO is. I was firstly on a Pre UC course then a Post UC coursewhere UC was university cadetship - being sponsored through university.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,778
    FishFish wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    As a naval aviator, McCain flew attack aircraft from carriers. During the Vietnam War, he narrowly escaped death in the 1967 Forrestal fire. On his twenty-third bombing mission in October 1967, he was shot down over Hanoi and badly injured. He subsequently endured five and a half years as a prisoner of war, including periods of torture. In 1968, he refused a North Vietnamese offer of early release, because it would have meant leaving before other prisoners who had been held longer. He was released in 1973 after the Paris Peace Accords.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_lif ... ohn_McCain

I only asked - that is all but it seems none of you knew before feting him but now you've looked it up.

I love this game!

I knew this, but it seemed appropriate to quote the easiest place you could have looked if you really wanted an answer.
  • imposter2.0
    FishFish wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    FishFish wrote:

Don't know what PQO is. I was firstly on a Pre UC course then a Post UC coursewhere UC was university cadetship - being sponsored through university.
    This is bullsh1t. You don't know what PQO is and university cadetship (ie UOTC) is not sponsored in any meaningful sense. Might be easier just to quit now...
  • tangled_metal
    What is PQO? I obviously served with fish 2 because I don't know what it means neither! :wink::D
  • imposter2.0
    edited August 2018
    What is PQO? I obviously served with fish 2 because I don't know what it means neither! :wink::D

'Professionally Qualified Officer' course - if you are already a doctor, vet, dentist, vicar, etc, you don't need to do the full course. Sometimes referred to rather brutally as the 'vicars & tarts' course...
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Imposter wrote:
    FishFish wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    FishFish wrote:

This is bullsh1t. You don't know what PQO is and university cadetship (ie UOTC) is not sponsored in any meaningful sense. Might be easier just to quit now...

I know FishFish mostly talks drivel but a friend of mine was sponsored through university by an army regiment. The only stipulation was that he attended UOTC (lots of us did for the money and free holidays!). At that time it was paid (£40/day or so) but I believe it no longer is. He didn't go to Sandhurst in the end to commission, claiming to be a member of a religion which didn't approve of war so he never had to repay his bursary.

I'm not sure what PQO is but I guess something like part qualified officer - perhaps similar to those who do a short stint at Sandhurst during their gap year. Again this is not obligatory to do for sponsorship. My friend above did not even do a gap year. He just impressed his regiment a lot.

Post-university attendance of Sandhurst is pretty common for most officers once you have completed your degree, unless you commission much later in your career. Usually at Sargent Major level, I think.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,114
    FishFish wrote:
    FishFish wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    FishFish wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

Is the mourning period over yet?

Why was he a war hero anyway - at the time he was shot down the war was highly discredited?

Anyway there must have been other people that died today for us to move on to.

[Trump's] retreat in the face of pressure from veterans groups demonstrates that he understands there's a limit to how much he can insult a high-profile veteran without damaging his own standing.

When they talk about 'his own standing' they mean standing for re-election, not his much-stained character.

I fully accept this issue that insulting a veteran is wrong and politically stupid.
    But not hypocritical eh :roll:

No not. Just asking why he is a hero - no answer - but a lot of juvenile comments. ...that don't bother me.

Not sure what the official criteria are, but he seems to have gained some recognition for his conduct.

Awards:
    Silver Star
    Bronze Star Medal (3) with Combat "V"
    Purple Heart
    Legion of Merit (2) with Combat "V"
    Distinguished Flying Cross
    Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal (2) with Combat "V"
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • FishFish
    Imposter wrote:

'Professionally Qualified Officer' course - if you are already a doctor, vet, dentist, vicar, etc, you don't need to do the full course. Sometimes referred to rather brutally as the 'vicars & tarts' course...

Aha - CMDVLP - yes they were at Victory college too - it was for grads. Chaplains medics, dentist vets, law and Postal. The latter was a curious organisation - PCSO? postal and courier service organisation and I may be wrong but it was part of the RE - not Royal Sigs as I recall. I liked the way the army ranked in order of importance.

• FishFish

I know FishFish mostly talks drivel

Post-university attendance of Sandhurst is pretty common for most officers once you have completed your degree, unless you commission much later in your career. Usually at Sargent Major level, I think.

Your perception.

Sandhurst did train officer cadets from the ranks but usually under 30 years. Older than that - eg Sgt Majors would end their non-commissioned career and may move on to a Quartermaster Commission but they would not attend Sandhurst - it would not be appropriate for them to be yelled at by Colour Sergeants if nothing else. QM commissions had a different pay scale too for obvious reasons.

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Well everyone I know in the army who is an officer has a degree. One royal marine I know is an officer who didn't go to uni but did do lympstone.
  • FishFish
    Imposter wrote:

This is bullsh1t. You don't know what PQO is and university cadetship (ie UOTC) is not sponsored in any meaningful sense. Might be easier just to quit now...[/quote]

UOTC were nothing to do with officer cadetships. They were sponsered by the University military committees and the aim was to encourage a positive view of the military by allowing students to get into a 'military' but really social environment.

Cadetships were awarded separately after RCB - regular commissions board and in fact I spent my time (in Glasgow) with 15 PARA (TA) rather than GSUOTC - Glasgow and Strathclyde.

So you ARE WRONG.

• imposter2.0
    FishFish wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Aha - CMDVLP - yes they were at Victory college too - it was for grads. Chaplains medics, dentist vets, law and Postal. The latter was a curious organisation - PCSO? postal and courier service organisation and I may be wrong but it was part of the RE - not Royal Sigs as I recall. I liked the way the army ranked in order of importance.

Honestly, you talk as though you've never actually even been there...you talk as though you've never really heard of John McCain....you also talk as though English is not your first language, but that's another story...
  • FishFish
    I really do love this game of showing you up when you challenge my creds. But enough of winding you up - back to the proper order of the day acclamation for the HEROIC administration in Washington for renegotiating the NAFTA arrangements with Mexico and thus bettering world trade in GENERAL.

Hopefully Canada will be left out of it but won't of course. Not because it is a former ally of the US or former Brit Colony but because it has mineral Uranium found also in Mali and Russia or some FSU place. So you've learned something else from me.

• FishFish
    [quote="Imposter"
    Honestly, you talk as though you've never actually even been there...you talk as though you've never really heard of John McCain....you also talk as though English is not your first language, but that's another story...[/quote]

Actually in restrospect - well said - cleverly worded but made the point.

I would have done it that way too. But you needed to! :D

• imposter2.0
    FishFish wrote:

Glad to hear it. I think it's pretty clear now that you weren't in the military, so we can move on from that. All you need to do now is learn how to correctly use the quote function and you could almost pass for someone who isn't trolling...
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Trump’s economic adviser Kudlow: ‘We’re taking a look’ at whether Google searches should be regulated
    he's a bit upset that if you google idiot there are lots of Trump results.
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,984
    Trump’s economic adviser Kudlow: ‘We’re taking a look’ at whether Google searches should be regulated
    Type in "idiot".
    Click on "Feeling Lucky". :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Trump's awake at 5:30 am, googles "Trump news" to find out what he did yesterday, and tweets complaining that he can only see left wing news sites. Everyone else does the same, and sees Fox News first.

Strange he can't see any good news about him after his amazing performance on the speaker phone yesterday.

what did the freakin' idiot do on the speaker 'phone?

#intrigued
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • FishFish
    Imposter wrote:
    FishFish wrote:

Glad to hear it. I think it's pretty clear now that you weren't in the military, so we can move on from that. All you need to do now is learn how to correctly use the quote function and you could almost pass for someone who isn't trolling...

I agree that it is a vital skill to be able to use forum editing facilities. We were not taught that at Sandhurst, Glasgow University, Manchester Business School, NYU Stern, Cambridge or even OU!

But I recall very well being in the army - even if you don't. I guess you must think that I am an IMPOSTER!!!

HAHAHAHAHA

Thanks for the advice on using the quote function - life skill par excellence. Wonderful.

• robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Trump's awake at 5:30 am, googles "Trump news" to find out what he did yesterday, and tweets complaining that he can only see left wing news sites. Everyone else does the same, and sees Fox News first.

Strange he can't see any good news about him after his amazing performance on the speaker phone yesterday.

#intrigued

He spoke to the wrong one - there are two (phone, not Mexican President).
  • robert88
    FishFish wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    FishFish wrote:

I agree that it is a vital skill to be able to use forum editing facilities. We were not taught that at Sandhurst, Glasgow University, Manchester Business School, NYU Stern, Cambridge or even OU!

But I recall very well being in the army - even if you don't. I guess you must think that I am an IMPOSTER!!!

HAHAHAHAHA

Thanks for the advice on using the quote function - life skill par excellence. Wonderful.

In fact we have a picture:

65423abf7e8ce809321a53739e031f00.jpg

The young Fishfish in Вооружённые Си́лы Росси́йской Федера́ции
  • imposter2.0
    FishFish wrote:

Keep repeating that and someone may believe it eventually, I suppose. I could say I was taught at Yale, West Point and the Sorbonne, but without any actual supporting evidence that would be a lie as well. Meanwhile, your claims to educational excellence do seem to contrast with your appearance on here as nothing more than a troll with a limited grasp of English and an even more limited intellect.
  • tangled_metal
    Just to clarify one point. You don't have to be a Russian internet troll to have low intellect and poor grasp of the English language. We have enough native English people that fit those particular defects too.

I just wanted to make that point out of fairness to fish2.
  • robert88
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Type in "idiot".
    Click on "Feeling Lucky". :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

This?

Billboard calling Trump ‘idiot’ roils New Jersey town

Trump, a cr4p president
    That struts and frets his hours in the Oval Office
    And we hope will soon be heard no more. His tweets
    Made by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing.
  • imposter2.0
    Just to clarify one point. You don't have to be a Russian internet troll to have low intellect and poor grasp of the English language. We have enough native English people that fit those particular defects too.

I just wanted to make that point out of fairness to fish2.

That's true. Although it's fair to say that Fishbot himself would be unlikely to extend that courtesy to anyone else...
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,778

#intrigued

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MsBxfzGE_I