Donald Trump

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,660
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    What do people think of the offer made by Steve Mnuchin regarding a US-EU trade deal?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44914145

Quote: "My message is pretty clear, it's the same message the president delivered at the G7 (last month in Canada): if Europe believes in free trade, we're ready to sign a free trade agreement with no tariffs, no non-tariff barriers and no subsidies. It has to be all three"

Sounds great, I mean, it's not as though trump would ever Welch on a deal.
    Maybe the EU should try it, what's the worst that can happen? If it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

They've just done a trade deal with the third largest economy on earth (Japan), so what better time to start on a deal with the largest? By time they've got half way down the process, Trump will be out of office (and given how long the Canada and Japan deals took overall, he would likely be out of office in any event before the deal is signed).

UK farmers would be out of business in the blink of an eye I would imagine with that sort of deal with the US.
    Not sure why you assume that?

Although if we are leaving then any EU-US trade deal won't have that effect on the UK anyway.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Robert88 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I guess that's why Germany recently signed a large gas supply deal with Russia - a country that uses nerve agents on its own citizens. And maybe why the EU has signed a trade deal with Japan - a country that still harpoons whales.

Straw men. And anyway our 'elite' still hunt foxes.
    Just pointing the hypocrisy of those who advocate not doing business with the US because we don't like them or their leader very much.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I guess that's why Germany recently signed a large gas supply deal with Russia - a country that uses nerve agents on its own citizens. And maybe why the EU has signed a trade deal with Japan - a country that still harpoons whales.

Just pointing the hypocrisy of those who advocate not doing business with the US because we don't like them or their leader very much.

Same goes for the EU?
  • Stevo_666
    edited July 2018
    florerider wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Same goes for the EU?
    Like is a subjective thing, although given we are trying to do a trade deal with the EU, I would say we don't think that they are that bad.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    As bad as Trump's America?
  • Stevo_666
    As bad as Trump's America?
    Bit of a wide question. What criteria are you using?

And are you referring the Trump, or the USA as a whole? Seems some people on here are having trouble distinguishing between the two.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,774
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Who has said that?
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Your comment about you saying that we don't think that they (EU) are that bad implies something that's worse to compare against.

Are you comparing the EU with the USA under Trump's presidency and finding in favour of the EU?
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

The problem with the POTUS is that his kind of business means the weaker party gets hammered. It's important when dealing with bullies not to be weaker. After Brexit there is an excellent chance we WILL be weaker and Trump will have a field day.

In the cases of Russia and Japan, the EU is not weaker.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Robert88 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

The problem with the POTUS is that his kind of business means the weaker party gets hammered. It's important when dealing with bullies not to be weaker. After Brexit there is an excellent chance we WILL be weaker and Trump will have a field day.

Sorry - I may have misread your post.

Are you saying that leaving a secure free and open trading block of 27 countries with a massive potential workforce, assets, transport infrastructure, laws, etc and starting all over again with absolutely nothing to back you up will leave Britain weaker?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Who has said that?
    See the last page on this thread where people respond to my suggestion that the EU does a trade deal with the US.
  • Stevo_666
    Your comment about you saying that we don't think that they (EU) are that bad implies something that's worse to compare against.

Are you comparing the EU with the USA under Trump's presidency and finding in favour of the EU?
    No. If you look back I was comparing countries like Russia and Japan with the USA in terms of doing deals etc.
  • Stevo_666
    Robert88 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

The US is already several times larger so Brexit will not make a material difference to that part of the equation. Not to mention the trade wars that the US is getting into will also leave it weaker. Call it evens I think.
  • robert88

Sorry - I may have misread your post.

Are you saying that leaving a secure free and open trading block of 27 countries with a massive potential workforce, assets, transport infrastructure, laws, etc and starting all over again with absolutely nothing to back you up will leave Britain weaker?

Now why would I think that?

Anyway, here is an example of how Trump operates in microcosm. Bear in mind that it's in microcosm because he wasn't POTUS, the most powerful 'democratically elected' leader on the planet back then. He is now.

Trump and Scotland
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    According to a YouGov poll, 28 percent of Americans (including 58 percent of Republicans and 9 percent of Democrats) say they believe that Trump is being framed by the FBI and the Department of Justice. YouGov has asked this question every month since March, and those numbers have remained relatively unchanged.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/wh ... the-house/
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    According to a YouGov poll, 28 percent of Americans (including 58 percent of Republicans and 9 percent of Democrats) say they believe that Trump is being framed by the FBI and the Department of Justice. YouGov has asked this question every month since March, and those numbers have remained relatively unchanged.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/wh ... the-house/

Probably the same f*ckwits that keep guns because they're afraid of an attack from "The State".
  • robert88
    As we approach the mid terms, how ballistic can Donald get?

Let's hope the Democrats don't screw this one up.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Robert88 wrote:

What do you mean by '...how ballistic can Donald get?'
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    FishFish wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

It's a colloquialism, fishbot - it probably doesn't translate well to/from Russian. If English was your first language, you probably wouldn't be asking...
  • kingstongraham
    Imposter wrote:
    FishFish wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

It's a colloquialism, fishbot - it probably doesn't translate well to/from Russian. If English was your first language, you probably wouldn't be asking...

Surely you go ballistic, not get ballistic?
  • kingstongraham
    "Tariffs are the greatest!"

Discuss.
  • imposter2.0
    Imposter wrote:
    FishFish wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

Quite possibly, but the meaning is still clear (provided you get the 'ballistic' reference)..
  • kingstongraham
    Imposter wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    FishFish wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

Quite possibly, but the meaning is still clear (provided you get the 'ballistic' reference)..

If you are going to be condescending to someone about a colloquialism, maybe best to get it right though...

"How ballistic can Donald get" to me implies he's going to bomb somewhere. Which could be right as well.
  • imposter2.0

If you are going to be condescending to someone about a colloquialism, maybe best to get it right though...

"How ballistic can Donald get" to me implies he's going to bomb somewhere. Which could be right as well.

Can't believe you are complaining about me being condescending to someone who is posting from a Russian troll farm.

Either way, your understanding of 'ballistic' needs further work..
  • kingstongraham
    Imposter wrote:

Can't believe you are complaining about me being condescending to someone who is posting from a Russian troll farm.

Either way, your understanding of 'ballistic' needs further work..

That's entirely possible.
  • kingstongraham
    I’m very concerned that Russia will be fighting very hard to have an impact on the upcoming Election. Based on the fact that no President has been tougher on Russia than me, they will be pushing very hard for the Democrats. They definitely don’t want Trump!

Amazing trolling work by the master himself.
  • imposter2.0
    I’m very concerned that Russia will be fighting very hard to have an impact on the upcoming Election. Based on the fact that no President has been tougher on Russia than me, they will be pushing very hard for the Democrats. They definitely don’t want Trump!

Amazing trolling work by the master himself.

It's almost like he's forgotten that he was standing right next to Putin in Helsinki when Putin openly stated that he wanted Trump to win in 2016.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Imposter wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    FishFish wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

English is my first language. Ballistic is a state - an unpowered state. A ballistic missile is one effectively in free flight - at least according to the definition I'm aware of. So getting ballistic may be right in this context as 'going' ballistic implies some internal power - energy change; but being ballistic does not mean out of control which you are trying to allude to.
    I will, using the limited capability of google translate, see if I can get this into Russian but I suspect that no one will get it and I bet that it would have the same connotation - just in a different language. And btw it is not a colloquialism.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • imposter2.0
    FishFish wrote:
    And btw it is not a colloquialism.

'Going ballistic' is a coloquialism. Did they teach you nothing at BIS Moscow..?
  • robert88
    US to give farmers $12bn trade war bailout
    The Trump administration on Tuesday announced up to $12 billion in emergency relief for farmers hurt by the president’s trade war, moving to to insulate food producers from looming financial losses that would be a direct result of President Trump’s policies.
    The plan, first reported by The Washington Post, was met with swift condemnation from Republicans and trade groups, who said that Mr. Trump had devised an expensive and clunky solution to a crisis of Depression-era proportions.

“This trade war is cutting the legs out from under farmers and White House’s ‘plan’ is to spend $12 billion on gold crutches,” said Senator Ben Sasse, Republican of Nebraska. “This administration’s tariffs and bailouts aren’t going to make America great again, they’re just going to make it 1929 again.”

It's said that farmers are (or were) Trump's strongest supporters. Who says you can't buy votes?