Donald Trump

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,563
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Trump was finding it tricky to stick to legitimate criticisms of Germany, so has decided NATO countries should spend 4% of GDP on defence.

It sounds like he just wants to take the US out of NATO.

At which point the investigation into alleged Russian interference in favour of Trump and anything they have to blackmail Trump with suddenly becomes rather more critical.

he asks for 2% and they vaguely promise to get there by 2025-30. Presumably he thinks that by asking for 4% they will jump at 2%.

If I was a US taxpayer I really would not understand why I was paying to defend the EU.

Does anyone know why so many countries have failed to meet the agreed targets? In Germany's case it is particularly silly because they are also failing to meet the Eurozone rules, and they could solve both these problems in one go.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,774
    TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Trump was finding it tricky to stick to legitimate criticisms of Germany, so has decided NATO countries should spend 4% of GDP on defence.

At which point the investigation into alleged Russian interference in favour of Trump and anything they have to blackmail Trump with suddenly becomes rather more critical.

he asks for 2% and they vaguely promise to get there by 2025-30. Presumably he thinks that by asking for 4% they will jump at 2%.

If I was a US taxpayer I really would not understand why I was paying to defend the EU.

Does anyone know why so many countries have failed to meet the agreed targets? In Germany's case it is particularly silly because they are also failing to meet the Eurozone rules, and they could solve both these problems in one go.

I think they've been a bit reluctant to have a strong military since the 40s.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,563
    TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Which is fine, but why agree to it? And what about all the other countries?
  • kingstongraham
    I didn't realise military pensions form part of that 2%. In Belgium, 33% of their military spending is on pensions.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Which is fine, but why agree to it? And what about all the other countries?

Hangover from a different era, where Europe was the collateral that each superpower posted.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    When you start to see Trump as a Russian agent, everything he does then makes perfect sense...
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Imposter wrote:
    When you start to see Trump as a Russian agent, everything he does then makes perfect sense...

Someone read it then!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    I think TM was being sarcastic. Everything he said, trump is the opposite.

The presidency, I still don’t get

Yes, that's the only possible explanation! :idea:
  • robert88
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Someone read it then!

I'd found it before you posted it. And it does make perfect sense.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

You might understand that not all of the USA's defence spending is related to NATO or Europe though.

so if the US is not subsidising the defence of Europe why has nobody mentioned this?
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Someone read it then!

I started reading it but trump is too mentally retarded and volatile to he ‘handled’. He’s uncontrollable.
  • kingstongraham
    "Trump arrived 30 minutes late to today's NATO summit, missed his scheduled meetings with at least two world leaders, prompted the secretary general to call an emergency session, held a 35 minute news conference and is now leaving for the airport." Rebecca Ballhaus, WSJ reporter.

He just can't be bothered with anything much can he? As long as he's personally the centre of attention.
  • robert88
    "Trump arrived 30 minutes late to today's NATO summit, missed his scheduled meetings with at least two world leaders, prompted the secretary general to call an emergency session, held a 35 minute news conference and is now leaving for the airport." Rebecca Ballhaus, WSJ reporter.

He just can't be bothered with anything much can he? As long as he's personally the centre of attention.

Par for the course. Speaking of which I bet he doesn't miss his golf. Poor Scotland.
  • robert88
    ..and I do hope the Queen has been advised to avoid touching foreign bodies, especially any that may be linked to Putin.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,147
    ffs mayhem and mayhim are standing like lackeys outside blenheim waiting for the lying molesting fraudster

clear sign of the uk's position under brexit

we need a revolution
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    America likes to have a strong military. I think they spend about twice as much on the military as the second place nation China they've military bases all over the world as they've been paranoid about communism for decades.

I don't think they've had any problems chipping into NATO as they spend so much on defence anyway.
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    sungod wrote:
    ffs mayhem and mayhim are standing like lackeys outside blenheim waiting for the lying molesting fraudster

clear sign of the uk's position under brexit

we need a revolution

V
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,113
    I suspect May is wondering why on earth she bothered inviting him over.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:

If only she had been warned.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,113
    rjsterry wrote:

If only she had been warned.

Ha.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,983
    More like an unpopular relative inviting themselves over for dinner and not wishing to be rude...
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    rjsterry wrote:

As I said before, there is no point anyone talking to Trump. They should just not invite him over for anything; it can only ever be negative. The point about the analogy posted earlier of talking to Trump being like playing chess with a pigeon is that you don't play chess with pigeons - you just boot them out of the house and slam the door shut.

Trump needs to just focus on internal issues - there he can be boss. He can't ever be happy on international affairs where people expect you to be vaguely competent.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Rolf F wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

As I said before, there is no point anyone talking to Trump. They should just not invite him over for anything; it can only ever be negative. The point about the analogy posted earlier of talking to Trump being like playing chess with a pigeon is that you don't play chess with pigeons - you just boot them out of the house and slam the door shut.

Trump needs to just focus on internal issues - there he can be boss. He can't ever be happy on international affairs where people expect you to be vaguely competent.

Isn't it broadly the case that the president doesn't have a lot of ability to do much at home, hence they play on the world stage
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • rick_chasey
    Jez mon wrote:

Isn't it broadly the case that the president doesn't have a lot of ability

Correct.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    He's definitely working for Putin. Wanting the UK out of Europe. Johnson as PM. Can you imagine how weak the country would be with all that ?
  • rick_chasey
    Had a grandstand view from my desk as his chopper flew by.

Whole office gave him the finger, which felt good.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Split up a powerful European trading bloc into much less significant smaller groups thus making it easier to bully into trade deals beneficial to trumps America, lobby to put a pet PM in place, get all your information on the state of the U.K. from Farage and Banks. In two years when the US comes to its senses and gets back to normal life the U.K. ends up well and truly fuxxed :(
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    I'm surprised May hasn't given a retaliatory interview with the Washington Post.
    Something along the lines of "Paul Ryan would make a great president if Trump and his team get jailed over "this whole Russia thing"".
  • robert88
    I'm surprised May hasn't given a retaliatory interview with the Washington Post.
    Something along the lines of "Paul Ryan would make a great president if Trump and his team get jailed over "this whole Russia thing"".

I'm really sorry to inflict this upon y'all but does this look like a leader likely to do that?

2371.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=aa7afa7de94023fe3fc488c4e280d385

The one in red, I mean.. Mr May, maybe..
  • kingstongraham
    In other news - Sean Spicer has described Trump in his book as "a unicorn, riding a unicorn over a rainbow".

And the FBI agent that Trump tweets about all the time was before the senate and absolutely nailed it.