Donald Trump

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,208
    Robert88 wrote:

Also interesting that the Orange Ayatollah is to meet Putin ON HIS OWN with no Americans in attendance.
    Yes, speculated on above, but no takers. Wonder if ther are any precedents between US and Russian leaders meetings?
    When one has one's annual peformance review with one's boss, is normally 1:1, no?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,113
    Scott Pruitt update - still corrupt, still head of the EPA.
    correction, still head of deconstructing the EPA :wink:
    Another one gone.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,602
    rjsterry wrote:
    Another one gone.
    Replaced by a coal lobbyist and climate-change-denier, who would seem to be an odd choice for an agency whose title is the Environmental Protection Agency. Well, unless you're doing your deconstruction in plain sight, alongside your deconstruction of the USA.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It gets really scary. Trump discusses Elton John's organ.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/trump-goes- ... the-brain/

“I have broken more Elton John records, he seems to have a lot of records. And I, by the way, I don’t have a musical instrument. I don’t have a guitar or an organ. No organ. Elton has an organ. And lots of other people helping. No we’ve broken a lot of records. We’ve broken virtually every record. Because you know, look I only need this space. They need much more room. For basketball, for hockey and all of the sports, they need a lot of room. We don’t need it. We have people in that space. So we break all of these records. Really we do it without like, the musical instruments. This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.”
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    cooldad wrote:

“The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.”

At least he understands that bit. Now all he has to do is put it into practice.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    cooldad wrote:

“I have broken more Elton John records, he seems to have a lot of records. And I, by the way, I don’t have a musical instrument. I don’t have a guitar or an organ. No organ. Elton has an organ. And lots of other people helping. No we’ve broken a lot of records. We’ve broken virtually every record. Because you know, look I only need this space. They need much more room. For basketball, for hockey and all of the sports, they need a lot of room. We don’t need it. We have people in that space. So we break all of these records. Really we do it without like, the musical instruments. This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.”

After I read that I thought you were having a laugh; I had to watch the video. And you know what? It's true. He said all that. And it was like amazing. I was just amazed. All those people, tremendous numbers, they were cheering! Why?
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    I don’t have a guitar or an organ. No organ. Elton has an organ.
    Why the hell weren’t they peeing themselves laughing at this, ok not that funny in writing, but in the video his delivery is impeccable. Whoever this clown is he’ll be in bigly trouble impersonating the prez of the US of A. :?
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    When Mike Pompeo meets Kim Jong-un in Pyongyang, he will reportedly attempt to smooth a path towards denuclearisation with a gift that playfully references a low point in relations between the North Korean leader and Donald Trump: a CD of Elton John’s Rocket Man.
    He does seem to have quiet an unhealthy interest in Elton John :|
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Robert88 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

After I read that I thought you were having a laugh; I had to watch the video. And you know what? It's true. He said all that. And it was like amazing. I was just amazed. All those people, tremendous numbers, they were cheering! Why?

I thought the same as you, someone was taking the p1ss, until I watched it. Unfuckingbelievable.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Sorry seems to be the hardest word
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:
    Another one gone.
    Replaced by a coal lobbyist and climate-change-denier, who would seem to be an odd choice for an agency whose title is the Environmental Protection Agency. Well, unless you're doing your deconstruction in plain sight, alongside your deconstruction of the USA.
    I'd be surprised if anyone who wasn't a lobbyist or who had any professional credibility would touch this administration with a barge pole.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• robert88
    We are now acclimatised (!) to the idea that Trump is way beyond what a fiction writer could dream up after eating too much cheese.

So it will be no surprise that Trumpistan not only seeks to wrest children from the protection of their parents, probably forever in many cases, but also to deny babies their mother's milk:

Opposition to Breast-Feeding Resolution by U.S. Stuns World Health Officials
    A resolution to encourage breast-feeding was expected to be approved quickly and easily by the hundreds of government delegates who gathered this spring in Geneva for the United Nations-affiliated World Health Assembly.

Based on decades of research, the resolution says that mother’s milk is healthiest for children and countries should strive to limit the inaccurate or misleading marketing of breast milk substitutes.

Then the United States delegation, embracing the interests of infant formula manufacturers, upended the deliberations.
    The confrontation was the latest example of the Trump administration siding with corporate interests on numerous public health and environmental issues.
    “It’s making everyone very nervous, because if you can’t agree on health multilateralism, what kind of multilateralism can you agree on?”

UK protests will symbolise the Orange Monster as a wailing baby.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Ah the breastapo are out again are they?
  • rjsterry
    Eh?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    rjsterry wrote:
    Eh?

there are many reasons why women can not breast feed. This is obviously very distressing and the baby may be reluctant to take a bottle. The desparate mum will then meet the Breastapo who will treat them with anger and contempt.

From what I have read the WHO objection to formula is that in most parts of the world people do not have access to clean water.
  • robert88
    rjsterry wrote:
    Eh?

there are many reasons why women can not breast feed. This is obviously very distressing and the baby may be reluctant to take a bottle. The desparate mum will then meet the Breastapo who will treat them with anger and contempt.

From what I have read the WHO objection to formula is that in most parts of the world people do not have access to clean water.

This part of the forum seems to be largely alpha-male so I thought I would take a look at another forum for a female perspective:

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/breast_and ... -breastapo

Seems to me that dislike of breast-feeding may be a male preserve.

Incidentally Surrey Commuter you are strangely anxious to challenge stuff seemingly just for the sake of it. Too much testosterone? Bored at work?
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    rjsterry wrote:
    Eh?

We spent the night on a ward when the little one was born.

Barely slept a wink, partly down to starting at what we had made and partly because of the woman opposite us crying all night in pain thanks to some breast infection. She'd given birth a week ago, baby wasn't feeding because of her infection and the "cure" was for her to sit with a breast pump on all night in agony.

Thanks to this experience I was so glad the Mrs wasn't producing and we had to go formula.
  • surrey_commuter
    Robert88 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Eh?

This part of the forum seems to be largely alpha-male so I thought I would take a look at another forum for a female perspective:

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/breast_and ... -breastapo

Seems to me that dislike of breast-feeding may be a male preserve.

Incidentally Surrey Commuter you are strangely anxious to challenge stuff seemingly just for the sake of it. Too much testosterone? Bored at work?

I hardly post in here as it is a prime example of group think. I do use it as a news alert and very occasionally poke my oar in. It is very rare that I agree with Rick and the breastfeeding/formula debate is something I know about.

apologies if I am missing the joke in accusing a bloke commenting on feeding babies of having too much testosterone
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    SC is on the money.

Have seen too many friends having serious emotional distress because they are struggling to breastfeed and the midwives being very very judgmental about it.

If it all works fine of course breast milk is best; but for many that isn’t an option and the guilt associated with bottle feeding doesn’t help anything.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,774
    I hardly post in here as it is a prime example of group think.

Please post more if you don't adhere to the group think that it's completely insane that he is president and has healthy motives for absolutely nothing that he does.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,563
    I hardly post in here as it is a prime example of group think.

The Brexit thread isn't?
  • TheBigBean
    SC is on the money.

Have seen too many friends having serious emotional distress because they are struggling to breastfeed and the midwives being very very judgmental about it.

If it all works fine of course breast milk is best; but for many that isn’t an option and the guilt associated with bottle feeding doesn’t help anything.

What is needed is more support. There simply isn't the level of family support of experienced breastfeeders that other countries have.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    SC is on the money.

seconded, mrs DHL was bullied and cajouled into providing more and more feeds, not only from the midwife but the health visitors. She was made to feel like a bad mother for not producing enough for the baby, you can see where post-natal depression comes from!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:
    Eh?

Are you speaking from experience or just what you've heard? It doesn't fit with our experience at all. All of which has absolutely f*** all to do with the US blocking this as a sop to their dairy and formula industry. This is not about 1st world pushy midwives.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• surrey_commuter
    rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Eh?

Are you speaking from experience or just what you've heard? It doesn't fit with our experience at all. All of which has absolutely f*** all to do with the US blocking this as a sop to their dairy and formula industry. This is not about 1st world pushy midwives.

try having a prem baby that spends 3 weeks in hospital and see how milk production goes. When a baby is fed through tubes because it is not strong enough to suck then it can lose the instinct which can lead to prolonged feeding issues. As Rick says HVs and Midwives can be very hostile. Paedeatricians are very good. Funnily enough I read up on the subject and realise the NHS blindly follows WHO guidelines even though they were written with the developing world in mind. No solids before 6 months is also about access to clean water.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    TheBigBean wrote:
    SC is on the money.

What is needed is more support. There simply isn't the level of family support of experienced breastfeeders that other countries have.
    Support? In our hospital ward they had "breastfeeding buddies". They were recent news mothers who had such a good experience with breastfeeding support that they wanted to help. So they went on an hours course and got the volunteer job of speaking to mothers not BFing. Their approach was to repeat the same advice the health professionals offered. In the same order but with a perky, cheerful and annoyingly upbeat way. It would have been better to teach them that nothing is textbook. If it's not happening saying it'll happen in a perky way doesn't change the problem that's stopping it happen.

We ended up calling the BFing buddies as BFing nazis because of their fanatical zeal.

Needless to say the medical staff had to listen and give us formula but it really shouldn't take a serious drop in weight to get it.

So the Who can do one. The first, second and third criteria for deciding whether to breastfeed is if it is right for mother and baby. If there's a medical or other reason making it wrong then listen to it rather than follow doctrine.

You know I'm actually torn over this matter. I do not think there should be a prescriptive statement over formula use only formula promotion. I think that's in place in first world nations. This is about third world nations. Its not compulsion one way or another just good, information. I'm not convinced the NHS has that right yet.
  • TheBigBean
    In the most recent survey, 22.3% in the US exclusively breastfed to 6 months. In the UK, it was 1%. I think that the UK could improve. My view is that this reflects a lack of support, but I'm sure others have other explanations.

http://apps.who.int/gho/data/view.main.NUT1730?lang=en
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,659
    I don't post on this thread much as it keeps going way off topic :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]