Donald Trump

Comments

• Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    He's been banging on the protectionist drum for years (I think before he started his run for president), and how Chynah is doing them over.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Trouble is his base don't understand the ramifications of protectionism, in the very same way people here didn't understand the effects of Brexit
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • bianchimoon
    Intersting questions being asked of How Mrs Trump managed to get a green card via an 'Einstein' visa for the US, when you need to be an 'extraordinary' person and also her mother and father about to benefit from the 'chain migration' that Trump is trying to stop.
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Jez mon wrote:
    He's been banging on the protectionist drum for years (I think before he started his run for president), and how Chynah is doing them over.

annoyingly for him he needs them to keep buying his debt or they are properly fooked
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,094
    With the cocktail of pressures on him and his inability to keep loyal followers on side (NRA seemingly) and given his consistent propensity to f*ck everything up, surely his time is limited?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • cowsham
    cowsham Posts: 1,399
    Anybody heard the news -- someone has shot themselves on the lawn of the white house -- sadly it wasn't Donald -- wonder if he'll think again about bringing in gun control.
  • bianchimoon
    Cowsham wrote:
    Anybody heard the news -- someone has shot themselves on the lawn of the white house -- sadly it wasn't Donald -- wonder if he'll think again about bringing in gun control.
    He doesn’t have the capacity to think, he’s too busy trying to destroy world trade by putting tariffs on steel, aluminium and cars from the rest of the world, he’s gone rogue
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Intersting questions being asked of How Mrs Trump managed to get a green card via an 'Einstein' visa for the US, when you need to be an 'extraordinary' person and also her mother and father about to benefit from the 'chain migration' that Trump is trying to stop.

NO questions need to be asked of that - like most bigoted racists he'll just say that "oh no, that doesn't apply to them - they are different"

Standard line for most Leave voters.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • bianchimoon

NO questions need to be asked of that - like most bigoted racists he'll just say that "oh no, that doesn't apply to them - they are white"

Standard line for most Leave voters.

FTFY :wink:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,630
    Cowsham wrote:
    He doesn’t have the capacity to think, he’s too busy trying to destroy world trade by putting tariffs on steel, aluminium and cars from the rest of the world, he’s gone rogue
    I think you have a point about his thought process.

However, given that the US levies import duty of 2.5% on cars imported from outside the USA, whereas the EU levies import duty of 10% on cars imported outside the EU, what do you reckon does that say about EU thinking?

Also purely based on the facts and taking Trump out of this for a minute, the US has a point here. Not that I advocate the US hiking car import duty - it is the EU that should cut their car import duty rate and stop being so protectionist.

Would also be useful to look at the facts related to steel.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,765
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Cowsham wrote:

However, given that the US levies import duty of 2.5% on cars imported from outside the USA, whereas the EU levies import duty of 10% on cars imported outside the EU, what do you reckon does that say about EU thinking?

Also purely based on the facts and taking Trump out of this for a minute, the US has a point here. Not that I advocate the US hiking car import duty - it is the EU that should cut their car import duty rate and stop being so protectionist.

As in the chicken tax, tariffs are not always reciprocal which is why trade deals are so difficult. The car import duty may well be related to a US import tariff on something completely unrelated.

Also, as part of the chicken tax, the US has a 25% tariff on small trucks.
  • bianchimoon
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Cowsham wrote:

Managing trade tariffs is a fine diplomatic, political and economic balancing act, something which the estate agent is incapable of. These things are best handled behind closed doors with negotiations between relevant departments of countries involved, not on Tw@tter. Canada, Germany and others do not want to look weak in front of their electorate. He is Forkin with things big time and has no idea of the repercussions. Share prices down massively since Jan, in a large part down to his meddling.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Cowsham wrote:

As in the chicken tax, tariffs are not always reciprocal which is why trade deals are so difficult. The car import duty may well be related to a US import tariff on something completely unrelated.

Also, as part of the chicken tax, the US has a 25% tariff on small trucks.

It wouldn't make sense if they were reciprocal - it's surely not going to be about earning income off the tax but controlling demand of the product. Otherwise you'd only need one country to implement a tax as two would be duplication.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Cowsham wrote:

Under TTIP, the tariffs on cars (and pickup trucks) would have been eliminated, but Trump binned that.

As he seems to have done this for the benefit of the special election in Pennsylvania, the US government used to think that tariff elimination would have helped this: https://www.trade.gov/mas/ian/build/gro ... 005462.pdf
  • bianchimoon
    Tariffs on Steel and Aluminum will only come off if new & fair NAFTA agreement is signed.
    FFS, seems he's just using talk of tariffs to blackmail Canada now :|
  • kingstongraham
    On a positive side - his joke writer on the weekend was pretty good.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Cowsham wrote:

Managing trade tariffs is a fine diplomatic, political and economic balancing act, something which the estate agent is incapable of. These things are best handled behind closed doors with negotiations between relevant departments of countries involved, not on Tw@tter. Canada, Germany and others do not want to look weak in front of their electorate. He is Forkin with things big time and has no idea of the repercussions. Share prices down massively since Jan, in a large part down to his meddling.
    I don't disagree about his thought processes (or lack of), or method of communications.

But the fact remains that the EU has a far more protectionist trade policy in place than the US on cars, with duties 4 times higher. What are your thoughts on that?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,103
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Cowsham wrote:

I don't disagree about his thought processes (or lack of), or method of communications.

But the fact remains that the EU has a far more protectionist trade policy in place than the US on cars, with duties 4 times higher. What are your thoughts on that?

Judging by the emissions testing fiasco and the way an entire continent was persuaded to buy into diesel as a 'greener' fuel, maybe it's just that the European car industry is more proficient at lobbying.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • bianchimoon
    the present tariffs have been in place quite a while, there will be no change as it will hurt the US as much as it will hurt the E.U. trump only came up with this ‘thought’ as a knee jerk reaction because Germany said they would retaliate against steel tariffs. One of the reasons for the tariff imbalance is that US manufacturers build abroad and ship back to the US, plus VW, BMW, Mercedes have many plants in the US employing many workers, exporting all over the world even back to Germany and contributing massively to the US economy, therefore a simplistic US v Germany tariff on one product/sector comparison is pointless
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,978
    the present tariffs have been in place quite a while, there will be no change as it will hurt the US as much as it will hurt the E.U. trump only came up with this ‘thought’ as a knee jerk reaction because Germany said they would retaliate against steel tariffs. One of the reasons for the tariff imbalance is that US manufacturers build abroad and ship back to the US, plus VW, BMW, Mercedes have many plants in the US employing many workers, exporting all over the world even back to Germany and contributing massively to the US economy, therefore a simplistic US v Germany tariff on one product/sector comparison is pointless
    But Trump needs comparisons that are small enough to tweet.
    Anything complicated will be rejected. At least, that's how it appears.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Cowsham wrote:

Judging by the emissions testing fiasco and the way an entire continent was persuaded to buy into diesel as a 'greener' fuel, maybe it's just that the European car industry is more proficient at lobbying.
    The point is that the EU is actually very protectionist in several areas, the auto sector being one very large example. For the EU to then kick up about the US on this front is not very convincing.

As said above, I am not in favour of what the US is doing but the EU should still cut duty rather than complain about the US trying to do what the EU is already doing.
  • Stevo_666
    I don't care if the present EU tariffs have been in place for a while, it's still protectionism.

Comparing tariffs on the same products is the best way to make sensible comparisons otherwise you are not comparing like with like.

Sorry but please explain why US manufacturers making cars abroad and shipping back to the US is a reason for the tariff imbalance.
  • bianchimoon
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I don't care if the present EU tariffs have been in place for a while, it's still protectionism.

Comparing tariffs on the same products is the best way to make sensible comparisons otherwise you are not comparing like with like.

Sorry but please explain why US manufacturers making cars abroad and shipping back to the US is a reason for the tariff imbalance.
    The cynical side of me says you want to derail the Trump thread in favour of a EU bashing thread. Open a new thread on tariffs/free trade/protectionism and I may play. :wink:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

The cynical side of me says you want to derail the Trump thread in favour of a EU bashing thread. Open a new thread on tariffs/free trade/protectionism and I may play.
    If we are going to have an informed debate about protectionism that involves likely actions by both US and EU, the current positions of both parties for the potentially affected sectors - both in relative and absolute terms - are relevant.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Cowsham wrote:

Cars are really cheap in the states - it's not a level playing field. Cheapest Fiesta you can get in the states is $14800 dollars - equivalent to £10700 - cheapest in UK is £13700. If we didn't have protectionist policies we'd be swamped with Chrysler Avengers.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

The cynical side of me says you want to derail the Trump thread in favour of a EU bashing thread. Open a new thread on tariffs/free trade/protectionism and I may play.
    If we are going to have an informed debate about protectionism that involves likely actions by both US and EU, the current positions of both parties for the potentially affected sectors - both in relative and absolute terms - are relevant.

TTIP would have cut tariffs on cars to zero.

You can't look at the tariffs on cars in isolation - If you want the EU to reduce the tariffs on cars from 10%, they would probably want the USA to reduce the tariffs on trucks from 25%. Unless you are going to go down the route New Zealand attempted and unilaterally reduce tariffs.
  • kingstongraham
    Anyway, Trump thread.

Sam Nunberg????
  • Stevo_666
    Rolf F wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Cowsham wrote:

Cars are really cheap in the states - it's not a level playing field. Cheapest Fiesta you can get in the states is $14800 dollars - equivalent to £10700 - cheapest in UK is £13700. If we didn't have protectionist policies we'd be swamped with Chrysler Avengers.
    Assuming we wanted to buy them...

There are quite a few cars sold in the UK today that are manufactured outside of the UK/EU and generally they still manage to compete on price, but I don't see you complaining about them. Is that because they are not American?
  • bianchimoon
    Anyway, Trump thread.

Sam Nunberg????

that's a meltdown :D
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

TTIP would have cut tariffs on cars to zero.

You can't look at the tariffs on cars in isolation - If you want the EU to reduce the tariffs on cars from 10%, they would probably want the USA to reduce the tariffs on trucks from 25%. Unless you are going to go down the route New Zealand attempted and unilaterally reduce tariffs.
    Neither side is blameless but the biggest volumes and total values are in cars.