Donald Trump

Comments

• dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Pross wrote:
    So Donny saw lots of cowardly deputies who weren't Medal of Honour material whilst he would have waded into the school shooting unarmed. Am I missing something or is this the same Donald Trump that managed to avoid the Vietnam draft? I assume someone will pick him up on that one.

I particularly like this tweet doing the rounds last night:

https://twitter.com/ChristnNitemare/sta ... 1696347136
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Kushner on his way out? Gates charges withdrawn totally in exchange for working for the Mueller team? Hope Hicks admits telling white lies to enquiry!
    Top secret security clearance withdrawn from Kushner, 4 foreign governments had discussions on how they could leverage him because of his firms financial troubles and zero experience in foreign policy, it's getting better by the day.
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Matthew Yglesias (Vox.com) on Twitter:
    Really hard to know who to root for in the Kushner vs Kelly spat. The writers need to incorporate more likeable characters if they expect the audience to stay invested.

My bottom line is that the gritty reboot atmospherics of the Kelly arc are a bad fit for the strong consumer confidence numbers, etc. and it would make more sense to go with Jared & Ivanka screwball comedy.

The Hope Hicks coming of age story and the H.R. McMaster antihero drama are probably my favorite plot arcs but they’ve been kept in the background this season.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,202
    "I'm spinning around..."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43235969

He's a-comin' fer our guns.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    nobody interested in Hope Hicks?
  • bianchimoon
    I could be tempted!

On a serious note, i think she's been sacked by trump rather than resigned, saying she told lies for Trump to the enquiry wasn't the brightest career move. So much going on over there at the moment with Dotard waging war on Sessions over the Attorney General and Sessions then going out to lunch with the AG, that'll seriously pi$$ Dump off :lol::lol:
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • surrey_commuter
    I could be tempted!

On a serious note, i think she's been sacked by trump rather than resigned, saying she told lies for Trump to the enquiry wasn't the brightest career move. So much going on over there at the moment with Dotard waging war on Sessions over the Attorney General and Sessions then going out to lunch with the AG, that'll seriously pi$$ Dump off :lol::lol:

but she was very much a "Trump Insider"
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    It's very obvious that loyalty is a unidirectional quality for Trump
  • bianchimoon
    I could be tempted!

Just goes to show Dumps loyalty towards people who have been loyal to him, won't be long now, Mueller time!
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762

Not really - she's not as important as:

- Kushner's $500m loans after White House meetings with the bosses of the companies lending the money
    - Potential steel and aluminium tariffs announcement
    - Trump's "take away their guns and worry about due process later" stance (that will revert to normal republican service shortly)
    - Trump's latest attack on his attorney general and inspector general
    - Mueller investigating what Trump knew about the hacked emails before it was public
    - NSA chief says he has not been told to disrupt Russian cyber threats where they originate.

I think all those were reported in the last day or so.

Does Hicks leaving open up the way for Scaramucci to come back now? He's possibly my favourite character in this show so far.
  • bianchimoon
    Does Hicks leaving open up the way for Scaramucci to come back now? He's possibly my favourite character in this show so far.
    Not while Kelly's in charge, did cross my mind that he'd have been straight on the phone begging for another chance, plus he was only there because of Javanka, and they'll be gone soon
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    The big question is, will he do the Fandango?
  • bianchimoon
    bompington wrote:
    The big question is, will he do the Fandango?
    be very, very frightening if he does
  • surrey_commuter
    I could be tempted!

Just goes to show Dumps loyalty towards people who have been loyal to him, won't be long now, Mueller time!

i agree - somebody all powerful would not be having his inner circle chipped away. Each one that falls/leaves brings another little half cheer.

+1 for wanting to see scaramucci back.
  • bianchimoon
    The Disruptor in chief, now imposing tariffs on steel and aluminium, this wont end well, even his own party are against it, the things he'll do for a few votes from his base. Higher prices for goods, repercussions from just about every other country.
    When a country (USA) is losing many billions of dollars on trade with virtually every country it does business with, trade wars are good, and easy to win. Example, when we are down $100 billion with a certain country and they get cute, don’t trade anymore-we win big. It’s easy!
    :roll:
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762
    That followed three minutes after this beauty:
    Alex Baldwin, whose dieing mediocre career was saved by his impersonation of me on SNL, now says playing DJT was agony for him. Alex, it was also agony for those who were forced to watch. You were terrible. Bring back Darrell Hammond, much funnier and a far greater talent!

He's since deleted and corrected it.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,542
    The Disruptor in chief, now imposing tariffs on steel and aluminium, this wont end well, even his own party are against it, the things he'll do for a few votes from his base. Higher prices for goods, repercussions from just about every other country.
    When a country (USA) is losing many billions of dollars on trade with virtually every country it does business with, trade wars are good, and easy to win. Example, when we are down $100 billion with a certain country and they get cute, don’t trade anymore-we win big. It’s easy!
    Somewhere there are figures to show how badly GW Bush's imposition of steel tariffs impacted on the US economy. It's properly scary how easy it is for an ignorant/impulsive/demented individual can impose his passing whims on the US without it going through any sort of parliamentary scrutiny. If nothing else, one hopes that the Trump episode will mean that the US will have a long hard look at how much executive power they give to a single, flawed, human being.
  • bianchimoon
    trade wars are good, and easy to win
    the rantings of a cornered, wounded animal. Yes I think Bush tried it, but had to abandon after a year, bad for the US, bad for consumers, bad for the world, good for distraction from home troubles.
  • surrey_commuter
    Somewhere there are figures to show how badly GW Bush's imposition of steel tariffs impacted on the US economy. It's properly scary how easy it is for an ignorant/impulsive/demented individual can impose his passing whims on the US without it going through any sort of parliamentary scrutiny. If nothing else, one hopes that the Trump episode will mean that the US will have a long hard look at how much executive power they give to a single, flawed, human being.

that is a bit harsh - advocating tariff protection for key industries is pretty mainstream economics. Plus this was in his manifesto so arguably the will of the people.

mind you I don't agree with it and there was another study about tyre tariffs (Obama I think) that calculated the cost and reckoned it would have been much cheaper for everybody to have directly paid the threatened employees of domestic tyre makers
  • surrey_commuter

that is a bit harsh - advocating tariff protection for key industries is pretty mainstream economics. Plus this was in his manifesto so arguably the will of the people.

mind you I don't agree with it and there was another study about tyre tariffs (Obama I think) that calculated the cost and reckoned it would have been much cheaper for everybody to have directly paid the threatened employees of domestic tyre makers

here you go - it cost $900,000 to save each job
    https://piie.com/publications/policy-br ... -high-cost
  • bianchimoon
    Chaos policy, UK's upcoming trade deal with the US looking better and better :roll:
  • surrey_commuter
    Chaos policy, UK's upcoming trade deal with the US looking better and better :roll:

his big over=arching theme has always been MAGA and he has always been very explicit that he expects trade deals to favour the US. As long as he is President the UK will not benefit from a trade deal with the US. The dealmaking king does not just need to win he has to be seen to win
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    . The dealmaking king does not just need to win he has to be seen to win

Are you talking about Liam Fox or Donald Trump here?
  • surrey_commuter
    . The dealmaking king does not just need to win he has to be seen to win

Are you talking about Liam Fox or Donald Trump here?

you never know the disgraced former defence minister and trump may find they have a lot in common
  • bianchimoon
    Even the Trump supporting WSJ is calling out Trump on this one
    Donald Trump made the biggest policy blunder of his Presidency Thursday by announcing that next week he’ll impose tariffs of 25% on imported steel and 10% on aluminum
  • bianchimoon
    All Trumps bluster on gun control, Mitch McConnel has just said, we won't bring up gun control for now, banking is more important to discuss next week. Trump saying after meeting with NRA, I need to speak to video game manufacturers, they're the problem, after I've finished tweeting about what a s*it actor Alec baldwin is.
  • briantrumpet

his big over=arching theme has always been MAGA and he has always been very explicit that he expects trade deals to favour the US. As long as he is President the UK will not benefit from a trade deal with the US. The dealmaking king does not just need to win he has to be seen to win
    His big overarching theme is just to blurt out whatever he has in his head at that moment, which is largely dependent on what's been on Fox & Friends that morning, or who's just been stroking his ego. He has a few residual instincts that don't change with the wind (racism, denigration of women, and everything & everyone being there to serve his ego and interests), but the rest of it is just whatever springs into his mind.
  • surrey_commuter

His big overarching theme is just to blurt out whatever he has in his head at that moment, which is largely dependent on what's been on Fox & Friends that morning, or who's just been stroking his ego. He has a few residual instincts that don't change with the wind (racism, denigration of women, and everything & everyone being there to serve his ego and interests), but the rest of it is just whatever springs into his mind.

An amusingly narrative but I would argue that he is consistent in advocating a protectionist trade policy and whilst most experts would disagree on the merits of that policy many would agree with him.
  • briantrumpet

An amusingly narrative but I would argue that he is consistent in advocating a protectionist trade policy and whilst most experts would disagree on the merits of that policy many would agree with him.
    Fair point - his instincts embrace anthing that he thinks will improve his standing amongst his knucklehead 'base', and anything that consolidates his supply of roubles from Russian riches.
  • surrey_commuter

Fair point - his instincts embrace anthing that he thinks will improve his standing amongst his knucklehead 'base', and anything that consolidates his supply of roubles from Russian riches.

on many issues his decision will go with the last person to talk to him but if you accept him as an old school isolationist then many of his decisions will be less of a surprise.