Donald Trump

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,091
    Slowmart wrote:
    So the question of a visit by *** **** later this year, be it a full state or lower key visit starts to crystallise.

I've never marched in protest ever, but I'm giving serious consideration to joining a march in protest about this arsehole. I really am.

Who else says "aye"

Count me in - I haven't chucked street furniture at a fascist for ages.

You've figured out that the majority of the protectors will probably be women. Smart move but don't touch any of them without a consent form. Are you listening?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,103
    Slowmart wrote:
    So the question of a visit by *** **** later this year, be it a full state or lower key visit starts to crystallise.

I've never marched in protest ever, but I'm giving serious consideration to joining a march in protest about this arsehole. I really am.

Who else says "aye"

Marching can be very good fun. If it gets out of hand then the power of the mob is very intoxicating.
    Didn't have you down as a protester SC. What was the cause?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    It is a free choice to protest and equally free , albeit illegal, to throw tangerines or chairs at people as part of a protest.

As regards a visit by Trump or any elected head of state (possibly unelected too) then the protests will not be allowed to get to violence. It will be avoided.

It seems to me that all of the increasing vitriol is just hatred. Irrational, partial, transient and not persuasive. The press following Davos genuflect to him (as they do with Xi) but that is a different planet. What is true in his core policy of making America great is the fact that he won popular appeal. Hating him and that is hating them. Promoting anti democratic values is the true fascism - not his popularity.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I think it's quite reasonable to dislike a racist, xenophobic, misogynist POS.

As well as the pig ignorant morons who support him.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rjsterry wrote:
    Slowmart wrote:

Who else says "aye"

Marching can be very good fun. If it gets out of hand then the power of the mob is very intoxicating.
    Didn't have you down as a protester SC. What was the cause?

Anti apartheid
  • FishFish
    cooldad wrote:
    I think it's quite reasonable to dislike a racist, xenophobic, misogynist POS.

As well as the pig ignorant morons who support him.

Exactly my point - it is all about hatred.

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    And my second point explains why your opinion can be disregarded.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Slowmart wrote:

Who else says "aye"
    I’m up for it, although I do have slight reservations as Dump is obviously a ‘few senators short of a congress’ and could push him over the edge, unless of course he pretends, as he did with the recent women’s march in the US, that they were marching in support of him.
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976
    Should the visit go ahead, and should there be protests then Trump needs to be reminded that peaceful protests are a hallmark of our democracy.

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/sta ... 80?lang=en
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bianchimoon
    FishFish wrote:
    What is true in his core policy of making America great is the fact that he won popular appeal. Hating him and that is hating them. Promoting anti democratic values is the true fascism - not his popularity.
    Ok fishbot, I understand English isn’t your first language, so a little fact check for you
    A report from the Federal Election Commission, compiled earlier this year from official state election results, credits Clinton with winning nearly 2.9 million more votes than Trump out of a total of almost 137 million votes cast.
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    Much as I dislike Trump we have given state visits to others who are worse including Mugabe and Trump's boss Putin and whilst they had protestors I can't recall people getting as worked up as they have regarding Trump.
  • FishFish
    Thankyou for expanding that point. Quite a few people just copy a link.

You mean Hilary Clinton I take. It is a democracy, he won. I don't think they use proportional representation in the states. If you think that you have found a flaw in the result then take it up with the Federal Electoral Commission if it exists.

My point is on anti democratic values not on popularity. If members of the forum, presidents of the USA, the opposition or my mum propose them then I, as a small voice, object to them.

English is my first language but it was preceded by the capacity to think.

• FishFish
    Pross wrote:
    Much as I dislike Trump we have given state visits to others who are worse including Mugabe and Trump's boss Putin and whilst they had protestors I can't recall people getting as worked up as they have regarding Trump.

Look at Xi - a prime candidate for the sort of villification - and he visited the UK recently with only a little protest. People do not understand China so remain quiet.

I think that it is because they can relate to him because of his nationality and colour and this get away with abuse. In truth he is no different to some people in the UK and populisim is a new concept being exercised. Development of the media enables and encourages people to uninhibited abuse. The expansion of the channel of communication has not improved the quality of its content.

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,542
    Pross wrote:
    I think that the context makes the difference: the US has been part of the community of democracies which have championed the values and practices that maintain democracy, and have (largely) set reasonable examples. The degree to which Trump (with the support of the GOP) has threatened both the US's own democratic institutions and norms, and with his finger on the nuclear button and Twitter dimplomacy bombs is upsetting international relationships and institutions, would explain, I think, why people get so animated by his persona and actions: he has rapidly taken the US from being something to be emulated (at least to an extent) to something that serves as a warning about the dangers of populism, and how quickly things can go wrong.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Pinno wrote:
    Slowmart wrote:

Who else says "aye"

Count me in - I haven't chucked street furniture at a fascist for ages.

You've figured out that the majority of the protectors will probably be women. Smart move but don't touch any of them without a consent form. Are you listening?

Yes Pinno.

But what if they start touching me?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    FishFish wrote:
    It is a free choice to protest and equally free , albeit illegal, to throw tangerines or chairs at people as part of a protest.

As regards a visit by Trump or any elected head of state (possibly unelected too) then the protests will not be allowed to get to violence. It will be avoided.

It seems to me that all of the increasing vitriol is just hatred. Irrational, partial, transient and not persuasive. The press following Davos genuflect to him (as they do with Xi) but that is a different planet. What is true in his core policy of making America great is the fact that he won popular appeal. Hating him and that is hating them. Promoting anti democratic values is the true fascism - not his popularity.

Who the blimmin' hell is going to throw chairs?

There are street signs available and they make a brilliant whoosh whoosh whoosh noise as they fly towards the fascist lines.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • FishFish
    I think that you won't do that. To recover a sign from its mounting will take time and draw attention to yourself and you would be seen by the police who, probably to your surprise, will also be on the route. Your attempt at nihilism will be in vain.

In reality you will not go and join any protest to a visit. You never will. But others will so you will have vicarious association with the protest.

But much respect for your blistering response - really put me in my place.

whoosh whoosh whoosh.

• Matthewfalle
    FishFish wrote:
    I think that you won't do that. To recover a sign from its mounting will take time and draw attention to yourself and you would be seen by the police who, probably to your surprise, will also be on the route. Your attempt at nihilism will be in vain.

No it doesn’t. You obviously have never been a student/general stealer of street furniture/part time rioter.

Nihilistic Nietzsche style values have no part in this - you’re looking at protesting against a fascist racist. To be honest, most of plod will probably want to join in.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • FishFish
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,620
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Should the visit go ahead, and should there be protests then Trump needs to be reminded that peaceful protests are a hallmark of our democracy.

Not much chance of that unless the amateur anarchists on here are talking a load of bollox.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • bianchimoon
    Pross wrote:
    I think that the context makes the difference: the US has been part of the community of democracies which have championed the values and practices that maintain democracy, and have (largely) set reasonable examples. The degree to which Trump (with the support of the GOP) has threatened both the US's own democratic institutions and norms, and with his finger on the nuclear button and Twitter dimplomacy bombs is upsetting international relationships and institutions, would explain, I think, why people get so animated by his persona and actions: he has rapidly taken the US from being something to be emulated (at least to an extent) to something that serves as a warning about the dangers of populism, and how quickly things can go wrong.
    very well said
  • bianchimoon
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

Not much chance of that unless the amateur anarchists on here are talking a load of bollox.
    Hmm, Do us a favour, start a thread called “vote for trump and save the world” :D:D:D
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,542
    Pross wrote:
    very well said
    Not so sure - that's an 88-word sentence with rather a lot of subclauses. One thing for certain - Trump wouldn't have a clue what I'm on about.
  • FishFish wrote:

In reality you will not go and join any protest to a visit. You never will. But others will so you will have vicarious association with the protest.

whoosh whoosh whoosh.

Forsooth doth thy really claimeth to English speaker native be?
  • Matthewfalle
    FishFish wrote:

whoosh whoosh whoosh.

Forsooth doth thy really claimeth to English speaker native be?

yes - the action of recovering the sign would draw attention to myself and yes, my attempt at nihilism will be in vain.

But it would be a bubble, see, lush.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Vicarious association.

Rockin' it.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    I guess he's still choking for a ride out with Lizzie in her big pram?
  • Matthewfalle
    Motogull wrote:

Who? Fishchipscurrysauce?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,620
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

Hmm, Do us a favour, start a thread called “vote for trump and save the world” :D:D:D
    Sorry if I touched a raw nerve but the idea of a bunch of self righteous middle aged centre leftie cyclists rioting in the streets of London is faintly amusing :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • FishFish
    Motogull wrote:

Who? Fishchipscurrysauce?

I think that the person in question is President Trump - you may have forgotten that the thread is about him.