The PR ICYMI Thread

Comments

• dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    Almost pro-race... this is a superb read!
    http://cyclingtips.com/2016/03/who-is-t ... va-legend/
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,347
    dish_dash wrote:
    Almost pro-race... this is a superb read*!
    http://cyclingtips.com/2016/03/who-is-t ... va-legend/

*...once you take out the feather and fluff. Reads like a boy's own detective story.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Nice article from Boswell. Comes across quite honestly. Sky haters may be disappointed with their treatment in the peloton

http://gearpatrol.com/2016/03/23/ian-boswell-interview/
  • coriordan wrote:
    Nice article from Boswell. Comes across quite honestly. Sky haters may be disappointed with their treatment in the peloton

http://gearpatrol.com/2016/03/23/ian-boswell-interview/

Thanks for posting that. Boswell's always come across as a level, straightforward kind of guy. Right from the start he seemed to adjust to pro life, living and racing in Europe, much more readily than Dombrowski who seemed to find the whole thing difficult to handle straight out of racing on Axel Merckx's team. And good on Boswell for not shying away from the Lance issue.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Agreed. Actually happened to have been retweeted by Rapha but not Teamsky
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    ...he's given away the rest of the shadow range...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Thanks for posting that. Boswell's always come across as a level, straightforward kind of guy. Right from the start he seemed to adjust to pro life, living and racing in Europe, much more readily than Dombrowski who seemed to find the whole thing difficult to handle straight out of racing on Axel Merckx's team. And good on Boswell for not shying away from the Lance issue.
    From afar, it also seems as though he fits in better with the team culture of the British core who have known each for years (as does Puccio), while Dombrowski is seems a more cerebral type (the sort that preferred the company of adults as a teenager).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Here's the Gent Wevelgem piece I wrote for Pez. I got a lovely e mail from the organiser last night about it too!

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/features/gent-wevelgem-what-the-locals-say/
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • ddraver
    interminable slog along concrete roads laid across recently ploughed fields where you can see for miles in any direction but there is nothing to see

is the best description of BeNeLux cycling Ive ever read!
    - @ddraver
  • pinno
    Offering double the attractions:

"...which seems to possess more shop-front brothels per head of population than a town its size really ought to."
  • pinno
    Excellent read DG.
  • Pinno wrote:
    Excellent read DG.

Thanks, enjoyed my day with Drops as well, so thanks for the tip. CW may be interested in the piece.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • pinno
    I'm not sure why the likes of Wevelgem and Omloop etc aren't in the hearts of the wider public or indeed within some of the hearts of the cycling community. Personally, I prefer them over M-SR. I find the perennially anti-climatic M-SR boring and tactically dull whereas the 'minor' classics are gritty, down to earth and always throw up something interesting. Especially when some of the big hitters either abstain/use it as a training run/ go all out to get something in the bag in the knowledge they aren't 100%. They appear like a high level Club run as the race weaves through countryside and less aesthetic villages with narrow streets and roads which somehow lends itself to being tangible; real. Don't know if that makes any sense.
  • Decent read about Soviet racing by Nikolai Razouvaev (5 parts so far)

http://nrwriter.com/tag/soviet-union/
  • http://www.podiumcafe.com/2016/3/29/11326412/inside-dwars-door-vlaanderen-elite-women-with-drops-cycling-team

Another of my ramblings for podium café. Featuring a cameo appearance by the daughter of a BR poster.

@gietvangent
  • ddraver
    edited March 2016
    ... I meant to ask you how that had gone...

(give them my number for the next race in Holland ;) - here's an audition piece - https://davekio.wordpress.com/2016/03/2 ... adventure/ )
    - @ddraver
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    Good story, disgruntledgoat. It held my interest even though I knew none of the characters. Finding Abi on the road like that was quite a shock after building up that picture of her as an invincible bike handler. But that just reinforces that you told the tale well.

Who was whose daughter?
  • dish_dash
    Super piece DG! Loved reading it...
  • Why thank you all

I'm meeting the team for their Ronde recon and an interview on Friday morning and catching up after the race on Sunday too. That piece may be going on paper!

@gietvangent
  • Why thank you all

I'm meeting the team for their Ronde recon and an interview on Friday morning and catching up after the race on Sunday too. That piece may be going on paper!

Topper! Good news for yous
  • dish_dash
    At this rate I think we may need to start a separate DG publications thread...
  • dish_dash wrote:
    At this rate I think we may need to start a separate DG publications thread...

"It's really tough to make a living, but a man's just gotta try"

10 Goat bucks for anyone placing that quote.

@gietvangent
  • pinno
    10 Goat bucks please.
  • Pinno wrote:
    10 Goat bucks please.

Call it and win it. 10 goat bucks is worth roughly one fancy beer

@gietvangent
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:
    10 Goat bucks please.

Is it worth as much as a Specsaver appointment ?
  • Pinno wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    10 Goat bucks please.

Is it worth as much as a Specsaver appointment ?

I make its value around 3 quid

@gietvangent
  • pinno
    I doubt you'll get a Specsavers appointment for 3 quid but it will get you a magnifying glass.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    Nice one DG.
    I can recommend a rowdy post-race refreshment with Laura Massey and/or Carla Boddy on Sunday - but I'm not sure if they're in the squad.
    As with Hugh Carthy, I love that Abi Van Twisk looks like a China-doll but is hard as nails...
  • ddraver
    Pinno wrote:
    I'm not sure why the likes of Wevelgem and Omloop etc aren't in the hearts of the wider public or indeed within some of the hearts of the cycling community. Personally, I prefer them over M-SR. I find the perennially anti-climatic M-SR boring and tactically dull whereas the 'minor' classics are gritty, down to earth and always throw up something interesting. Especially when some of the big hitters either abstain/use it as a training run/ go all out to get something in the bag in the knowledge they aren't 100%. They appear like a high level Club run as the race weaves through countryside and less aesthetic villages with narrow streets and roads which somehow lends itself to being tangible; real. Don't know if that makes any sense.

It's the "semi-finals are usually more exciting than the final" paradox isnt it, The prestige of the monuments makes riders take less risks
    - @ddraver
  • pinno
    Someone give DG a nudge - he owes me 10 goat bucks.