Last Film Watched

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,794
    Fishermen's Friends.
    Perfect for a Sunday with a Local Hero kind of vibe.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    edited December 2020
    Watched 1917 last night. Its really good, really well made and compelling with a great side game of "spot the cameo".

However, I couldn't help thinking whenever one of their own planes flew over, "why didn't they just send a plane?".
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh
    pblakeney said:

Fishermen's Friends.
    Perfect for a Sunday with a Local Hero kind of vibe.

I quite liked that too. That choir has popped up in a few things, like Doc Martin.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,415
    Tenet. Okish movie let down slightly by the unconvincing John David Washington ( Denzel’s son)
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    elbowloh said:

Watched 1917 last name that. Its really good, really well made and compelling with a great side game of "spot the cameo".

However, I couldn't help thinking whenever one of their own planes flew over, "why didn't they just send a plane?".

After finally getting to watch it a few weeks ago I was a bit disappointed by it. It was OK but just felt a bit like Saving Private Ryan set in WWI with the single shot thing as a bit of a gimmick.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Pross said:

Finally got around to watching Hacksaw Ridge. I'm sure the story has been given an element of the Hollywood treatment and whilst I'd heard the basics of the story the whole "pulled 75 people to safety" thing really doesn't do any justice to the bravery involved. Even the story of what he went through just to be there is incredible.

I think it does a good job of telling the story without glorifying anything and gives a feeling of the horrors of war without being overly graphic.

Army medics, eh.....
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pblakeney
    seanoconn said:

Tenet. Okish movie let down slightly by the unconvincing John David Washington ( Denzel’s son)

I've not watched it yet but reports are that multiple viewings reveal things missed in the initial viewing. Does this ring true?
    As a reference point in my experience of The Matrix.
    1st viewing, entertaining nonsense but wtf was that about?
    2nd viewing, entertaining with quite a few lightbulb moments.
    3rd viewing, entertaining and down to noticing nuances.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,732
    pblakeney said:

seanoconn said:

I've not watched it yet but reports are that multiple viewings reveal things missed in the initial viewing. Does this ring true?
    Oh no I have the opposite with the matrix.

The more I watch it the worst it gets. I have stopped watching it lest it sully the memory I have of it blowing my mind on the first watch.
  • pblakeney
    edited December 2020

pblakeney said:

seanoconn said:

The more I watch it the worst it gets. I have stopped watching it lest it sully the memory I have of it blowing my mind on the first watch.
    As I said, my experience.
    I was querying the same points being made about Tenet.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • seanoconn
    edited December 2020
    pblakeney said:

seanoconn said:

I think it would be almost impossible to understand completely what was going on from one viewing and how the main protagonist was supposed to know what the hell was going on was one of the reasons for his unconvincing performance.
  • pblakeney
    seanoconn said:

pblakeney said:

seanoconn said:

I think it would be almost impossible to understand completely what was going on from one viewing and how the main protagonist was supposed to know what the hell was going on was one of the reasons for his unconvincing performance.
    So like Keanu Reeves, but less so?
    I'm basically looking to see if it is worth watching twice before watching at all. 🤔
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • elbowloh

pblakeney said:

seanoconn said:

The Matrix is great if you forget the 2 sequels exist.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    Nativity Rocks - Utterly, shockingly daft! we had great fun watching as a family. I think I enjoyed the kids reactions more than the film.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    elbowloh said:

pblakeney said:

seanoconn said:

The Matrix is great if you forget the 2 sequels exist.
    Agreed. Thought 2nd one was watchable but disappointing. 3rd was just dreadful.

I hope the new one is a worthy resurrection but I remain doubtful.

It is unusual for franchises to come back strong. Usually the motivation is squeezing out revenue rather than having a genuine story to tell.
  • pblakeney
    Doomsday on Amazon. Mad Max Fury Road meets Braveheart, and as silly as that sounds. Apocalyptic but didn't realise the connection to today (well, last month) and really enjoyed the 80s references.
    Can't really recommend it but if the above sounds entertaining then...
    As an aside note, the political decisions made in the film show the future if a certain prolific C19 botster was in charge.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • The Shape of Water - 'twas on Channel 4 Saturday night........ v good.
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    edited December 2020
    Shutter Island is incredible. It made me question my own sanity. :)

Currently on Netflix. One of the best plot twists ever, a mind bending movie.

The Departed is also very, very good.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

The Shape of Water - 'twas on Channel 4 Saturday night........ v good.

Care to share in what way.
    I just didn’t get it at all. But it’s one of those where many do so I’m curious as to what people do like about it.
    Probably an impossible to answer question.
  • Dead Man's Shoes starring Paddy Considine and........of all people Gary Stretch, the boxer/actor from the early nineties.

Not a box office hit but a damn fine film!!! Definitely not for family viewing.

I can't un-see what was in the suitcase near the end!🤯
  • seanoconn

Dead Man's Shoes starring Paddy Considine and........of all people Gary Stretch, the boxer/actor from the early nineties.

Not a box office hit but a damn fine film!!! Definitely not for family viewing.

I can't un-see what was in the suitcase near the end!🤯

Excellent film. Paddy Considine is brilliant, talk about menace!
  • Yeah, wouldn't mess with that Guy! One of my top 5 films. Good to know someone else has seen it too.😎👍
  • pblakeney
    The Legend of Barney Thomson on Amazon Prime. No. I hadn't heard of it either. A Robert Carlyle dark comedy which quite possibly has Emma Thompson's best performance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • tetley10
    tetley10 Posts: 693
    A film called 'Kenny', on Sky Movies. Mockumentary about an Australian fella who plumbs portable khazis for festivals and the like. Much better than it sounds and much better than the documentary about the Kopite manager.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    6 Days about the 1980 Iranian Siege. I remember watching the snooker on TV as a young boy obsessed with the army (I'd just come back from a regimental museum in Brecon) when it was interrupted to show the assault going in and I was rivetted. The film brought the whole time back, I can't believe it was 40 years ago.

The film dealt with it really well I thought, building up the tension of the negotiations and hopes it could be ended peacefully with the assault preparations in the background. I've read a few accounts from those who were genuinely there (I know it would have been a bit crowded if everyone who claims to have been involved was actually there) and it seems to have stayed pretty true to reality.
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited December 2020
    Pross said:

6 Days about the 1980 Iranian Siege. I remember watching the snooker on TV as a young boy obsessed with the army (I'd just come back from a regimental museum in Brecon) when it was interrupted to show the assault going in and I was rivetted. The film brought the whole time back, I can't believe it was 40 years ago.

The film dealt with it really well I thought, building up the tension of the negotiations and hopes it could be ended peacefully with the assault preparations in the background. I've read a few accounts from those who were genuinely there (I know it would have been a bit crowded if everyone who claims to have been involved was actually there) and it seems to have stayed pretty true to reality.

Biggest shock there was it was 40 years ago. Remember watching it too sat there in my camo pygamas.

Considering the closest thing to that siege at the time was Bowdie and Doyle it was quite a sight to see. I'll look out for 6 Days.👍
  • ToneC
    ToneC Posts: 33
    Unforgiven.

Great cast, decent film.
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439
    Occupied: Great but lost it a bit in season 3

Suburra: Exactly the same as above.

The Barrier: Spanish series about a future dystopia. Easy to follow, entirely predictable, non-nuanced and very contrived. Eastenders standard but somehow managed to watch it all....

Star Trek Discovery: I admit I stopped it at the bit where a girl said she wanted to be called they/them. The Next Generation used to use metaphors...

• seanoconn
    nickice said:

Occupied: Great but lost it a bit in season 3

Suburra: Exactly the same as above.

The Barrier: Spanish series about a future dystopia. Easy to follow, entirely predictable, non-nuanced and very contrived. Eastenders standard but somehow managed to watch it all....

Star Trek Discovery: I admit I stopped it at the bit where a girl said she wanted to be called they/them. The Next Generation used to use metaphors...

Suburra, first 2 seasons were ok. Enjoyed the film more. Great soundtrack too particularly M83 midnight city, awesome 😃
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    1917. Don't know if it's cropped up here yet but we watched it yesterday. it starts off well enough but gets a bit silly when one of the main protagonists is given a lift to his destination (to pass a message to some troops not to launch an attack) when the whole point was the only means of getting there was on foot. The "one continuous shot" was a gimmick that actually worked and you can still appreciate the scale of the production and the quality of the acting if you can forget the gaping p!ot hole.
  • elbowloh
    shortfall said:

1917. Don't know if it's cropped up here yet but we watched it yesterday. it starts off well enough but gets a bit silly when one of the main protagonists is given a lift to his destination (to pass a message to some troops not to launch an attack) when the whole point was the only means of getting there was on foot. The "one continuous shot" was a gimmick that actually worked and you can still appreciate the scale of the production and the quality of the acting if you can forget the gaping p!ot hole.

Yeah, I posted something above about it. Friendly planes flew over a few times. Why couldn't the message hobby plane?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk