Last Film Watched

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,770
    edited May 2020
    The Trench. Overshadowed by 1917 probably mostly as it's not a Hollywood film but pretty much as good, although I did think 1917 was overhyped. Gritty and as you'd expect so don't watch if you don't fancy.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney
    My Spy on Amazon. Yes, really. The perfect antidote to The Trench.
    Go in with your expectation level and you'll be very pleasantly surprised.
    Light and silly but very enjoyable.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    Good Vibrations on iplayer, the story of the Belfast record shop and label in the 70s & 80s is a lovely wee film. Well worth 94 mins of your time

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05569p9/good-vibrations
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,538
    Just started watching Holmes & Watson. Stopped watching Holmes & Watson after 10 minutes. Possibly the worst film I've ever tried to watch.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Uncut Gems. Adam Sandler in a straight (ish) role and he's brilliant. Proper good film, albeit a bit chaotic at times but some real twists and turns and not the formulaic nonsense that's often churned out by American film makers.
  • Suberbicon - Mat Damon lead, Cohen Bro's film - quite good. Also has a timely racial tensions element too.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Spotlight (Beeb iPlayer)
    Mark Ruffalo/Rachel McAdams/Michael Keaton.
    Very good indeed. Drama based on the Boston Globe exposing the abuse committed by Roman Catholic priests and the top down cover up.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Titanic

The little lady (12 going on 23!) has developed a crush on young Leonardo di Caprio so we sat through this sappy shitshow, first time since its cinema release for me, I’d forgotten just how long the film was, a proper arseacher!

It’s still as pompous, bloated and overblown as I remember but the little lady enjoyed it

p.s. Oh, and Kate Winslet was as hot AF wasn’t she?
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    Circle Jerks - My life as a Jerk.
    Documentary film on Californian punk band The Circle Jerks.

Haven't watched a fictitious film for decades. Books rule!
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Up.

For the umpeenth time. And I still had to brush some dust from my eye.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    Parenthood.

A family classic with a who's who cast of 80s/90s family film favourites, including Steve Martin and the bespeccled ghostbuster, plus a young Joaquin phoenix (when he called himself leaf) and Keanu reeves.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    edited July 2020
    Mowgli (Netflix) - Terrible Andy Serkis self indulgent production, where the wolves have half human facial features and speak with broad Scottish accents, Baloo looks f****d and drug addled and speaks with cockney accent. Had to turn off after about half hour it was that bad imo. Not a children's film as Baloo would scare them half to death. Can't imagine what King Louis looked or sounded like...... Probably wearing a shell suit and smoking a crack pipe.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • pblakeney
    42 - It's a 2013 film about baseball (Jackie Robinson) which explains why most will have missed it. Well worth a watch, and I dislike baseball.
    Quite possibly Harrison Ford's best performance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    1917. When the trailer came out it didn't draw me in, so I never went to see it at the time. Upon watching it I found the impression of the trailer was accurate. It was well shot, but it was thoroughly unmemorable. If the comparison is relevant, I really was impressed by Dunkirk and this was nowhere near in that league for me.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729

Titanic

The little lady (12 going on 23!) has developed a crush on young Leonardo di Caprio so we sat through this sappy shitshow, first time since its cinema release for me, I’d forgotten just how long the film was, a proper arseacher!

It’s still as pompous, bloated and overblown as I remember but the little lady enjoyed it

p.s. Oh, and Kate Winslet was as hot AF wasn’t she?

I think Kate Winslet was indeed sweaty but she certainly wasn't hot.
  • shortfall
    Borg vs Mcenroe currently on iPlayer. Really rather good, even if it does take a few liberties with the facts. It certainly captures the essence of the two protagonists and the feel of the times.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Ad Astra. Wouldn’t recommend. From the 2001 genre of slow plot space films that convinces itself it is operating at some higher level whilst actually being slow and self indulgent.
    I might be going deaf but a lot of the dialogue is difficult to make out unless you whack the volume up.
    A-list cast too so it’s not for lack of budget.
  • shortfall
    Dialogue always seems quiet on modern films, at least when experienced through sound bar or home cinema systems. Conversely any sound effects and incidental music are completely deafening. Might add this to trivial that it's that annoy you thread.
  • shortfall
    We're The Millers. Formulaic, shallow and naffish road trip caper from 2013 but it has several scenes with Jennifer Aniston in bra and panties which could redeem even the worst film.
  • shortfall
    Maradonna. Very absorbing film documenting his journey from best footballer in the World to cocaine addicted poodle of the Mafia. Astonishing talent but an absolute selfish, cheating cu.nt of a man on and off the pitch.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,495
    edited July 2020
    shortfall said:

We're The Millers. Formulaic, shallow and naffish road trip caper from 2013 but it has several scenes with Jennifer Aniston in bra and panties which could redeem even the worst film.

[Makes mental note to watch] :p

I re-watched the 1982 version of 'The Thing' the other night. A real tense, claustrophobic film with some cracking pre-CGI creature effects. And a great score by the recently deceased Ennio Morricone.

The 'runaway alien head' scene has one of the most justified uses of the F-word in cinematic history :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • At World's End

It,s about pirates and boats.
  • morstar
    Lost in London.
    Had never heard of it before coming across it in the listings but worth a watch.
    Not a classic film but a fairly successful attempt at making a 2 hr film in one continuous shot in London.
    Stars Woody Harrelson as himself and is an interesting experiment. A simple plot but plenty going on and some clever link ups. There did appear to be one join between takes but I may be wrong, I wasn’t trying to spot them.
    A lot like live music; nowhere near as polished as the studio version but nonetheless stands up as a piece of work.
  • morstar
    Joker.

I had no interest in watching this at all. However came in from the garden last night and the mrs has just started watching it.

Not at all what I was expecting but what an interesting film. A fascinating depiction of somebody with mental health issues and very little left to lose taking a destructive path to personal empowerment.

Not entirely comfortable viewing but can see why JP won the Oscar.

Far more gritty than comic book.
  • Captain Fantastic (on Netflix)

....what an awesome film, well worth a watch
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,689

At World's End

It,s about pirates and boats.

Not a bit of Chelsea?
  • morstar said:

Joker.

I had no interest in watching this at all. However came in from the garden last night and the mrs has just started watching it.

Not at all what I was expecting but what an interesting film. A fascinating depiction of somebody with mental health issues and very little left to lose taking a destructive path to personal empowerment.

Not entirely comfortable viewing but can see why JP won the Oscar.

Far more gritty than comic book.

Saw J on general release and also thought that JP should receive the Oscar for his performance.

The film should have ended with his rebirth during the riot, as he was reacting to the protesters.

Roll on J2.
    Not a Giro Hero!
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    Watched Zodiac over the weekend. A film I'd wanted to see for a while, David Fincher having done some good stuff over the years.

First thing to say is that it was pretty long - ended up splitting it over two nights.

A well made and well acted film. Found the dialogue quite hard to hear at times - there always seemed to be a lot of background noise. The Mark Ruffalo character in particular had a very thin voice which was hard to hear.

The ending was a little abrupt. The Wikipedia summary of the plot suggests that there was meant to be some closing text to say that the suspect had died before he could be interviewed again but that seemed to be missed off the version that was shown.

Overall, 7/10 from me.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,689
    I watched touching the void about 3 weeks ago and it's still lodged in my brain.
  • morstar

I watched touching the void about 3 weeks ago and it's still lodged in my brain.

Sorry for making ‘that’ comment. But you should read the book.
    Joe Simpson has many interesting stories to tell.
    The whole cut the rope debate has gone on for many years.