Last Film Watched

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    Watched Interstellar last night (when I say watched, it was on but I didn't really get into it as I was busy keeping the puppy occupied and I suspect it was a bit too confusing even if you were paying full attention. It looked really good visually at times but seemed to be another excessively long film
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    Pross said:

Watched Interstellar last night (when I say watched, it was on but I didn't really get into it as I was busy keeping the puppy occupied and I suspect it was a bit too confusing even if you were paying full attention. It looked really good visually at times but seemed to be another excessively long film

A Christopher Nolan film so it deals with time/space continuum as usual. Needs full attention, and probably a second watch. If you are prepared to invest, or not.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    edited April 2021
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

A Christopher Nolan film so it deals with time/space continuum as usual. Needs full attention, and probably a second watch. If you are prepared to invest, or not.
    Agree it’s the standard fare and visually well done but the end is far too self indulgent.

Arrival does the theme way better with far more impact in less time.
  • pblakeney
    2 Days In The Valley. A farce (intentional) set in L.A. with a surprising cast.
    Obviously silly and not to be taken seriously but as enjoyable as most recently.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Pross said:

We Kill In The Old Way - a London street gang kill an old school gangster bringing two generations of villains into conflict.

This could have been a cult classic in the right hands but it mixes gritty realism with an episode of New Tricks and as a result doesn't really work on either level.

Worth watching if you've got Prime and enjoy British gangster films but that's about it - it is NOT family friendly unless your family enjoy seeing teenage girls threatened with gang rape, multiple murders and torture mixed with a jokey light-hearted edge.

Watched it a few months ago (and the sequel We Still Steal The Old Way). There seem to be a lot of those 'edgy' British gang movies on Prime that help pass 90 minutes but are a bit low budget. Rise of The Footsoldier is OK, telling the story of the people involved in the Rettendon Murders (the sequels are terrible). As with most of the others it does tend to slightly idolise those involved in gartuitous violence and crime though.
    Yes I mean to watch Rise of the Footsoldier but I'm the only other person in my house that enjoys that kind of film other than my son, and he just watches stuff in his room. I normally get outvoted and end up reading bikeradar whilst some cooking/painting/interior design contest is on or even worse Ru Paul's Drag Race.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Pross

Pross said:

We Kill In The Old Way - a London street gang kill an old school gangster bringing two generations of villains into conflict.

This could have been a cult classic in the right hands but it mixes gritty realism with an episode of New Tricks and as a result doesn't really work on either level.

Worth watching if you've got Prime and enjoy British gangster films but that's about it - it is NOT family friendly unless your family enjoy seeing teenage girls threatened with gang rape, multiple murders and torture mixed with a jokey light-hearted edge.

Watched it a few months ago (and the sequel We Still Steal The Old Way). There seem to be a lot of those 'edgy' British gang movies on Prime that help pass 90 minutes but are a bit low budget. Rise of The Footsoldier is OK, telling the story of the people involved in the Rettendon Murders (the sequels are terrible). As with most of the others it does tend to slightly idolise those involved in gartuitous violence and crime though.
    Yes I mean to watch Rise of the Footsoldier but I'm the only other person in my house that enjoys that kind of film other than my son, and he just watches stuff in his room. I normally get outvoted and end up reading bikeradar whilst some cooking/painting/interior design contest is on or even worse Ru Paul's Drag Race.
    Sounds familiar. I tend to watch when the wife gets called into work weekends or nights. I think I watched that when I took a week off in November.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,410
    elbowloh said:

Palm Springs.

Has a touch of the Groundhog Day to it, but with its own twist. Pretty funny and a good cast. Enjoyed it.

Thanks for the tip, never would have watched it based on the title or picture. Enjoyed this over a couple of evenings, tailed off a little towards the end but good cast and the leads were funny and engaging.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn
    Nobody

Action thriller staring Bob Odenkirk (him off breaking bad and better call Saul) A retired super assassin unbeknown to his family, is taking his Mr nobody lifestyle to the extreme, losing the love and respect of his son and wife (Connie Nielsen) Inevitably dragged back to his previous life with violent results.

Promising John Wick style first half, well performed by Odenkirk but loses its way, relying on comedic farce in a limp ending. Could have been much better but still a cut above most shoot em ups.
  • pblakeney
    Speaking of shoot em ups. The Gunman with Sean Penn.
    A shoot em up with a social conscience. Better than average, but not a classic.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • seanoconn
    pblakeney said:

Enjoyed that when it was released. Sean looking bloody good for a then 55 year old.
  • pblakeney
    seanoconn said:

pblakeney said:

Enjoyed that when it was released. Sean looking bloody good for a then 55 year old.
    Too true.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    I just re-watched LA Confidential and The Third Man.
    Both are still great. Kind of a Modernist Noir, Euro Noir fusion evening or two.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • pblakeney
    elbowloh said:

Palm Springs.

Has a touch of the Groundhog Day to it, but with its own twist. Pretty funny and a good cast. Enjoyed it.

Echo what Sean said, I'd have normally skipped by this one but glad I didn't.
    Not art, not a classic, but most enjoyable.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    People Places Things

Came across this on Netflix. Nice little indie movie staring Jermaine Clement from Flight of the Concords about a comic book artist with two daughters who's partner leaves him on the kids 5th birthday and how he tries to pull his life back together. Quirky, charming little film.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • morstar
    Netflix: Love and Monsters.

Post apocalyptic adventure in pursuit of our heroes love interest.

A new take on a done before story line. Easy to follow and good fun.
  • Onegear
    Onegear Posts: 76

Both are still great. Kind of a Modernist Noir, Euro Noir fusion evening or two.

Saw LA confidential for the first time a few weeks back. Excellent Noir and captures the period very well. Been on a bit of a Crowe binge recently, Master and Commander only gets better with each rewatch!
  • SAS ; Red Notice, only because it was free and a whole new experience on a big screen outdoors.
    Not sure would have paid for the 'privilege'.
    I disapprove of what you say but will defend....your right to say it. Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire08 Cotic Soda-deceased!10 Bianchi 928 c2c23 Marin Nicasio2
  • DeVlaeminck
    Rise of the Footsoldier
    Hybrid British football hooligan-modern gangster film that has a big reputation in that (those) genre(s).

I suppose whether it disappoints depends on your expectations - it's a perfectly watchable film - but it's doesn't really stand out and I can't see it appealing to anyone that isn't a fan of violent modern British gangster films.
  • DeVlaeminck
    In The Name of the Father.
    Film based on the Guildford 4 who were (spoiler alert) wrongly imprisoned for an IRA bombing campaign in the 1970s.

I quite liked this one - the fact it's based on a true story (it's not accurate in every fact) adds to the impact of the story which is well told.
  • pblakeney
    Muscle Shoals. A documentary about a recording studio. A bit self congratulatory but some of your preconceptions of how your favourite old records were recorded are blown out of the water. That they were recorded in small town Alabama surprised me.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Without Remorse

The new Amazon originals take on the Tom Clancy book. Apart from the Title and a couple of characters, the film has absolutely no relation to the book. None.

Clearly done just for marketing purposes using the Clancy brand.

The book is the back story behind John Clarke/Kelly, one of the main characters running through the Jack Ryan series and the filmmakers just started from scratch. Maybe it's a setup for a TV series? The original is a really good story so really disappointed with this "effort".
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    edited May 2021
    The reviews of Without Remorse was enough to put me off. You have confirmed it.

The Outsider on Netflix. A strange mix of a Scandi produced, Japanese made film with Jared Leto as the main character in English language so easy to watch.
    A familiar storyline but the setting and cultural references make it different enough to be worth watching.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391

In The Name of the Father.

It is a tour de force from Pete Postlethwaite also

😥

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    elbowloh said:

Without Remorse

The new Amazon originals take on the Tom Clancy book. Apart from the Title and a couple of characters, the film has absolutely no relation to the book. None.

Clearly done just for marketing purposes using the Clancy brand.

The book is the back story behind John Clarke/Kelly, one of the main characters running through the Jack Ryan series and the filmmakers just started from scratch. Maybe it's a setup for a TV series? The original is a really good story so really disappointed with this "effort".

I was flicking through yesterday and almost watched it but it had a low rating. I started watching Mile 22 instead which had a much higher rating but looking on Rotten Tomatoes it is much lower and they are probably better judges, I gave up half way through.
  • morstar
    Anna: spy movie currently on Sky.

Standard Hollywood spy action film featuring Helen Mirren in supporting role.

Well done and enjoyable if you like this type of thing.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,387
    The Mauritanian (on Amazon)

Billed as a "true story" with Jodie Foster playing the part of a lawyer defending a Guantanamo prisoner.

Quite distirbing in places but a great watch nonetheless - quite an eye opener (if it really is a depiction of true events)
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Pross
    An old one but I watched The Runaway Jury yesterday. It's not a Grisham novel I'd read and I understand they swapped the story to the firearms industry from tobacco but I thought it was a strong plot and it's unlikely that a film with Hoffman and Hackman will be poor. Decent film but I suspect most have already watched it.
  • 12th Man
    Netflix film. WW2 saga based on real events. Enjoyed it (on a wet and windy B/Holiday afternoon)
  • Sully-Miracle on the Hudson.
    Recorded it some time ago but haven't found the time to watch so caught up with it on the Beeb.
    Can't really go wrong with Tom Hanks but well worth it.
    I disapprove of what you say but will defend....your right to say it. Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire08 Cotic Soda-deceased!10 Bianchi 928 c2c23 Marin Nicasio2
  • seanoconn
    Onegear said:

Saw LA confidential for the first time a few weeks back. Excellent Noir and captures the period very well. Been on a bit of a Crowe binge recently, Master and Commander only gets better with each rewatch!
    Watched this again last week and was expecting the film to have aged poorly. Still a brilliant film. One of the greats.