Last Film Watched

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,415
    elbowloh said:

seanoconn said:

elbowloh said:

Haven't watched it yet, but Coming to America 2 is on Prime and considering watching it.

Has anyone seen it yet?

I know I'm going to be disappointed, but how much?

The kids watched the first one recently and quite liked it. Read a review of the second and I’d prepare yourself to be very disappointed.
    The Will Gompetz review? I tend to disagree with a lot of his reviews.
    Yep that was the one.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799
    elbowloh said:

Haven't watched it yet, but Coming to America 2 is on Prime and considering watching it.

Has anyone seen it yet?

I know I'm going to be disappointed, but how much?

I've just listened to the Mayo & Kermode review.
    Acceptable with updated sensibilities from the original was the summary.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • siddy1972
    siddy1972 Posts: 180
    Just watched Rear Window. Somehow never watched it before, but what a gem.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    Pross said:

Watched Birds of Prey last week. I hadn't seen Suicide Squad and I'm not a comic book fan so didn't know the character back stories but it was entertaining enough nonsense plus had Margot Robbie in it.

Started watching Gone Girl on Friday but haven't had time to finish it yet. I know I'm late to the game and most will have seen it but it has been excellent so far, I'm just over half way I think.

Managed to finish Gone Girl at the weekend. I'm trying to decide if I was satisfied with the ending or not. Very good film and Rosamund Pike is superb and slightly disturbing (not enough to put me off though).
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,388
    "I Care a Lot" has Rosamund Pike as the lead (who just won a Golden Globe or something for her role)

Rarely have I wanted a "baddie" to cop it so much. . .

On Amazon
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • The Trial of the Chicago 7 (on netflix) - good, enjoyed it.
  • Pross
    SAS: Red Notice,Sky original based on the Andy MnNab book Red Notice.

I found it really disappointing, probably because of stupid pointless changes to the book that served no purpose.
  • tetley10
    tetley10 Posts: 693
    Pross said:

I found it really disappointing, probably because of stupid pointless changes to the book that served no purpose.

Turned it off. Pump.

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,415
    Pross said:

4.5 on IMDb. Usually a bad sign, I’d be put off with anything under a 6.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Ok, so this one is a weepy chick flick along the lines of me before you.

However, if you don’t mind that sort of thing...

Life in one year, an Amazon exclusive is very good.

If you can’t stand that stuff, steer clear.
  • Pross
    I don't if it will have count as last film watched as it's so long I probably won't be alive long enough to get to the end but the wife decided to put the Snyder cut version of Justice League on. Two and a half hours in and still an hour and a half to go! Never basso little happened in so much screen time.
  • morstar
    Pross said:

I don't if it will have count as last film watched as it's so long I probably won't be alive long enough to get to the end but the wife decided to put the Snyder cut version of Justice League on. Two and a half hours in and still an hour and a half to go! Never basso little happened in so much screen time.

I saw it on the schedule a week or so ago and thought “that is one long movie”.

Then read reviews saying how underwhelming it was and decided I could live without. You have just reinforced that opinion.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    The Lone Ranger

It was on BBC4 the other night and I thought, why not.

It was great fun, Johnny Depp borrows a fair bit from his Jack Sparrow persona to give the comedy, but not a problem. Some genuinely LOLs and good if formulaic action sequences.

I was surprised when i looked it up just now to find it was made in 2013. I'd never heard of it, and it seems that it was a flop.

The older I get, the better I was.

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Pross said:

Just watched Wonder Woman 84. Worthwhile for Gal Gadot in that costume but other than that really not great. There's no real relevance of it being set in 1984 and other than a bit of a scene about the fashion it could be set at any point in the last 40 years or more. The first one was one of the few superhero films I've enjoyed so was disappointed. I'll re-watch the first one if I need more Gal.

Watched this the other night. Was bloody terrible to be honest. Had a really good cast (Chris Pine excepted, as I think he's terrible in pretty much everything) and felt they could have done so much more. The whole wishing plot line was awful.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    capt_slog said:

The Lone Ranger

It was on BBC4 the other night and I thought, why not.

It was great fun, Johnny Depp borrows a fair bit from his Jack Sparrow persona to give the comedy, but not a problem. Some genuinely LOLs and good if formulaic action sequences.

I was surprised when i looked it up just now to find it was made in 2013. I'd never heard of it, and it seems that it was a flop.

Johnny Depp seems to get panned when he adopts his panto persona.
    I just go into these films expecting silliness and tend to enjoy them at that level.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Dumb & Dumber

I struggle to find anything wrong with this film...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • morstar
    ddraver said:

Dumb & Dumber

One of only two films where I walked out the cinema.
    Just didn’t do anything for me.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,619
    morstar said:

ddraver said:

Dumb & Dumber

You're going to have to tell us what the other one was now...

• elbowloh
    morstar said:

ddraver said:

Dumb & Dumber

I just can't stand watching Jim Carey's over the top face contortions.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • morstar
    edited March 2021
    mrb123 said:

morstar said:

ddraver said:

Dumb & Dumber

You're going to have to tell us what the other one was now...

Wayne’s world.

I actually like stupid comedy but there has to be some kind of depth to it no matter how well hidden. Never found it in either of those films, or what I saw of them.

Bizarrely, as we were obviously leaving one of them we were asked if we were enjoying the film.

If it helps raise the bar, we have also left a serious play too. I’d rather try stuff and have the odd miss though than not chance anything. Something has to be pretty bad to leave.
  • Land of Mine
    Good acting.
    A hard watch though.......I get weepier as I get older
  • morstar

"I Care a Lot" has Rosamund Pike as the lead (who just won a Golden Globe or something for her role)

Rarely have I wanted a "baddie" to cop it so much. . .

On Amazon

Just seen this tonight and yes, very good and boy do you want them to get their just deserts.
  • elbowloh
    Just watched the Trial of the Chicago 7. Was really very good. Didn't know the story before, although shocking, you can't say it was surprising knowing what the US and the Nixon government was like at the time.

Written and directed by Aaron Sorkin, so you West Wing fans go and watch it if you haven't already.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • RedClip
    RedClip Posts: 110
    Godzilla Vs Kong (4K).
    Mainly a load of b0ll0cks compared to Skull Island.
  • pblakeney
    elbowloh said:

Just watched the Trial of the Chicago 7. Was really very good. Didn't know the story before, although shocking, you can't say it was surprising knowing what the US and the Nixon government was like at the time.

Written and directed by Aaron Sorkin, so you West Wing fans go and watch it if you haven't already.

Just finished watching this and just, wow! The story may be vaguely familiar but the court scenes are shocking. Much more involving than expected, and more laughs than most comedies.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    Da 5 Bloods. Over 2-1/2 hours long and notable for only 3 things. One of the main actors passed away, Spike Lee’s political messages and that it is Oscar nominated for the soundtrack.
    Listen to What’s Going On and save yourself 2 hours. Spike’s messages are nothing new and the plot twists are obvious.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    Sound of Metal. Well acted and conveys the frustrations of going deaf but not necessarily an enjoyable watch. Hair and the passing of time niggled.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    We Kill In The Old Way - a London street gang kill an old school gangster bringing two generations of villains into conflict.

This could have been a cult classic in the right hands but it mixes gritty realism with an episode of New Tricks and as a result doesn't really work on either level.

Worth watching if you've got Prime and enjoy British gangster films but that's about it - it is NOT family friendly unless your family enjoy seeing teenage girls threatened with gang rape, multiple murders and torture mixed with a jokey light-hearted edge.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • elbowloh
    Palm Springs.

Has a touch of the Groundhog Day to it, but with its own twist. Pretty funny and a good cast. Enjoyed it.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Pross

We Kill In The Old Way - a London street gang kill an old school gangster bringing two generations of villains into conflict.

This could have been a cult classic in the right hands but it mixes gritty realism with an episode of New Tricks and as a result doesn't really work on either level.

Worth watching if you've got Prime and enjoy British gangster films but that's about it - it is NOT family friendly unless your family enjoy seeing teenage girls threatened with gang rape, multiple murders and torture mixed with a jokey light-hearted edge.

Watched it a few months ago (and the sequel We Still Steal The Old Way). There seem to be a lot of those 'edgy' British gang movies on Prime that help pass 90 minutes but are a bit low budget. Rise of The Footsoldier is OK, telling the story of the people involved in the Rettendon Murders (the sequels are terrible). As with most of the others it does tend to slightly idolise those involved in gartuitous violence and crime though.