TdF 2015 - Stage 4 - Seraing - Cambria ***Spoilers***

Comments

• FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    CJU_QsBWcAA9qha.jpg

Sounds like he made it.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Great stage. Not as spectacular as last year's cobbles obviously, but great to see Nibali's repeated attempts on the pave, and Froome towards the end. More attacks from GC riders than many mountain stages.

You do get the feeling that Nibali has used up his main opportunities to gain time on Quintana, Froome and Contador. He does seem to have a genuine talent for riding on cobbles, impressive. Would be great to see him in Paris-Roubaix. Although, without a sprint...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Interesting comments reading back about Froome's "attack" when G pulled off the front. Seriously why would anyone really call that an attack?

He was on the front and wanted to keep the momentum up, it was an increase of pace (maybe got a little excited) but nothing more. I thought it was great to see. He could quite easily just sat in and watched Nibali and Contador all stage and just play it safe, but he's there to race and take any opportunity.

Well it was an increase in pace that only Sagan could match....

Even Frenchie's girlfriend accepts that Bertie owes Sagan a beer tonight and she makes Frenchie look positively even handed...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    You are right. For some reason I put 9% in my calculator.

I was probably thinking about small batteries or something.
  • joelsim
    Interesting comments reading back about Froome's "attack" when G pulled off the front. Seriously why would anyone really call that an attack?

He was on the front and wanted to keep the momentum up, it was an increase of pace (maybe got a little excited) but nothing more. I thought it was great to see. He could quite easily just sat in and watched Nibali and Contador all stage and just play it safe, but he's there to race and take any opportunity.

Even Frenchie's girlfriend accepts that Bertie owes Sagan a beer tonight and she makes Frenchie look positively even handed...

Frenchie has a girlfriend? WTF
  • ddraver
    you don't want to get into the world of twitter Contador Fans Joel...
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    So Cavendish picked up 11 points today for being 5th in the intermediate sprint and 5 points for his 12th place finish. They really should scrap the intermediate sprint points.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Highlights: Degenkolb was chatting to Nibali when Tony Martin attacked.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408

Frenchie has a girlfriend? WTF

I think we're talking about the different attacks.

G pulled off the front, Froome ups the pace a touch, but the BMC rider swung over to G without realising that Froome was carrying on driving the pace. When he realised he was soon on Froome's wheel. Froome flicked the elbow but no one wanted to come through as they realised the game was up (but Froome hadn't).

Sagan wasn't responding to this from Froome (he wouldn't know Froome was trying to up the pace, he was just towing the front of the second group.

Great win by Martin. So pleased for him, my workmates thought I was going mad as I was shouting at the screen.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Highlights: Degenkolb was chatting to Nibali when Tony Martin attacked.
    But who could have predicted Martin attacking in the last few kilometres?

Oh yes, everyone.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    So,

EQS's Stage 1 balls up > GAL's balls up today ?
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Great stage. Not as spectacular as last year's cobbles obviously, but great to see Nibali's repeated attempts on the pave, and Froome towards the end. More attacks from GC riders than many mountain stages.

You do get the feeling that Nibali has used up his main opportunities to gain time on Quintana, Froome and Contador. He does seem to have a genuine talent for riding on cobbles, impressive. Would be great to see him in Paris-Roubaix. Although, without a sprint...

Might find it a bit harder when the rest of the peloton hasn't already been involved in stressful racing for a few days, but yes, he can certainly ride them very well.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Froome thanks Richie Porte for working today, mountains.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Froome thanks Richie Porte for working today, mountains.

After the questions over Roche's pick for the Tour, he was Froome's penultimate support rider left. He did a good job today.
  • ddraver

Might find it a bit harder when the rest of the peloton hasn't already been involved in stressful racing for a few days, but yes, he can certainly ride them very well.

He can ride them well but on the other hand, when he did attack he was shut down with ease by the Classics guys. In fact I'd argue that the other GC terms owe TGA and TLJ a beer or two for keeping Nibali on a lead. Plus they'd be riding them for 260km too
    - @ddraver
  • joelsim
    From what I've seen so far, Froome and TJ are in tip-top condition. Nairo and Bert and Nibs are good, but not quite/yet at the level.

What is really interesting is seeing how things go when the mountains come.

Barring accidents, it's Froome's to lose.
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    From what I've seen so far, Froome and TJ are in tip-top condition. Nairo and Bert and Nibs are good, but not quite/yet at the level.

What is really interesting is seeing how things go when the mountains come.

Barring accidents, it's Froome's to lose.

Still a long way to go though, we're still on the "easy" first week! Others may still be riding into form or might not suffer fatigue as much over the 3 weeks. Good thing is none of the hitters have had any major issues yet so shaping up to be a great race.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Pleased for Tony, he is my favourite rider I think.

Also a great ride by the GCers, and an absolute shambles from Vanmarcke who came 145th.

Kristoff also not going so well this time :)
    Vanmarcke punctured twice
    Kristoff also punctured
  • joelsim
    Pleased for Tony, he is my favourite rider I think.

Also a great ride by the GCers, and an absolute shambles from Vanmarcke who came 145th.

Kristoff also not going so well this time :)
    Vanmarcke punctured twice
    Kristoff also punctured

I know. Kristoff has had a lot of bad luck recently. Shame.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Pleased to see Froome pushing it from the front - I like a bit of gladiatorial action. Now want to see the other GC contenders show themselves rather than sit in the pack and make this a classic TdF.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Latest odds for GC:

Froome 5/6
    Quintana 9/4
    Contador 9/1
    Nibali 12/1
    Van Garderen 25/1
    Rodriguez 40/1

Everyone else over 100/1

I'm assuming that's win only? 9s around Contador is tempting, though I think it might actually be a fair reflection.

Bosh on the wine gums!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    Matteo Trentin, whose bike Tony Martin finished on after a late mechanical

"We decided already in the meeting to be fast to change the bikes because the car, for sure, we know from Paris-Roubaix after two or three sectors that the car is lost forever in the field.

"I changed my bike with Tony, and then they changed the wheel of Tony’s bike. I have to say the car was pretty much one minute behind, maybe more. So that was not the winning move, but a move that saved our … I can't say the word (laughs)."

"I wasn’t thinking too much about it because I was riding Tony’s bike and it was really uncomfortable," he said of how much of a chance he thought Martin had. "So I can’t imagine that he could be comfortable on my bike, but I just hope that he doesn’t want to ride my bike for the rest of the Tour."
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Valverde could easily have lost Movistar the Tour on that stage, hunting glory in the top 5 while Quintana was grimly hanging on at the back.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • JackPozzi
    Matteo Trentin, whose bike Tony Martin finished on after a late mechanical

"We decided already in the meeting to be fast to change the bikes because the car, for sure, we know from Paris-Roubaix after two or three sectors that the car is lost forever in the field.

"I changed my bike with Tony, and then they changed the wheel of Tony’s bike. I have to say the car was pretty much one minute behind, maybe more. So that was not the winning move, but a move that saved our … I can't say the word (laughs)."

"I wasn’t thinking too much about it because I was riding Tony’s bike and it was really uncomfortable," he said of how much of a chance he thought Martin had. "So I can’t imagine that he could be comfortable on my bike, but I just hope that he doesn’t want to ride my bike for the rest of the Tour."

According to procycling stats, Martin is 6cm taller than Trentin, poor Matteo must have struggled to reach the pedals! Can't have been ideal for Martin either, but I'd rather be on a bike that's too small than too big...
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    Recorded the stage so just finished it. A great stage.

Obviously fantastic efforts from the GC guys: Nibs for all the attacks and Froom for being aggressive at the end get extra points, and maybe Nairo for hanging on so relentlessly.

Another Tony fan here, so i was screaming like Kirby at the end

But also Cav, Sagan & G all did great work, and get my heros of the day awards. Esp pulling that break back at the end by Sagan & the selfless, tireless shepherding from G

Chapeaux all

:D
  • ddraver
    Sags was feeling cheeky today

https://twitter.com/TV2SPORTdk/status/618479993631416321

Good to see, usually Sagan cheekyness means Sagan wins!
    - @ddraver
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    That was reasonably enjoyable. 6.5 / 10.

TJvG - When your form is good, you don't have bad luck, and it looks like it's true for him.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • JackPozzi
    That was reasonably enjoyable. 6.5 / 10.

TJvG - When your form is good, you don't have bad luck, and it looks like it's true for him.

Blimey Iain, what do you want for a solid 8?
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    Everyone loves Tony Martin. No exceptions.

not me, sorry. I can't make peace with his bottom lip flapping around when he's riding

also, as a Wiggins fanboi, I've been cheering for the "other" guy too often
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Nibs is good for a GC guy but to be fair it's not 60kms of cobbles with the classic guys being the protected riders instead of doms. Cav clearly not riding for green as he did a hell of a lot of work for Martin
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799