TdF 2015 - Stage 4 - Seraing - Cambria ***Spoilers***

Comments

• The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Pinot’s panic and subsequent meltdown were disappointing. Not an ideal characteristic in a GC rider.

That doesn’t moderate my amazement that these highly funded teams (even FDJ is rich compared to me) can’t reliably get a bicycle through a few cobbles with a flyweight rider perched on it.

He's still young, and he was talking after yesterday's stage about how he wasn't expecting today to go well. He's shown before that he's a nervous, fragile personality so he probably just needs to mature a bit and get used to the expectation and pressure that comes with being a second tier GC contender with genuine ambitions for the overall.
    No more Gc for Pinot, stage wins need to be his target now. He's capable of it...

Agreed for this year. i was thinking of the future when I made that post though.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Can someone please post that to the post if the tour thread? Too much of a faff on an iPad on the bus. Especially with all the people looking at me having laughed up snot onto it....

Tis done.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    No more Gc for Pinot, stage wins need to be his target now. He's capable of it...
    He's 6.30 down - 5.00 or less down on most GC riders . He's not going to get on the podium obviously, but a top ten is certainly very realistic. And he's most likely to get a stage win hanging with the big boys and doing an attack which doesn't interest them. The KOM may come into his thoughts though.

He was talking post stage about taking a packet and going for stages/kom. That might have been the disappointment and frustration talking though.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    Everyone loves Tony Martin. No exceptions.

not me, sorry. I can't make peace with his bottom lip flapping around when he's riding

also, as a Wiggins fanboi, I've been cheering for the "other" guy too often

also, when watching the interviews I was reminded that his neck is way too skinny for his head

sorry, I'll stop there
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I thought that was fun. Too many of the strong classic guys riding for their GC guys for it to have split up all over the place, but was still fun.

Great to see Tony Martin so chuffed to get the yellow jersey. The "ON A TEAM MATE'S BIKE!!" comments always amuse me though, it's not as if his team mates ride around on tricycles.
    The brakes were apparently hooked up the opposite way from how he normally has them though!
    I heard someone from the team say exactly the opposite - that Martin and Trentin have their brakes cabled up differently from most of the rest of the team, but the same as each other, which was a stroke of luck.
  • fnb1
    fnb1 Posts: 591
    This is very amusing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7BCSpRasAU

Especially Trentins comment

"He's on my bike!" That bit was fab.

are they driving using 'the force' amazing that they stay on the road never mind avoiding all the other team cars/motorbikes spectators and of course cyclists!!
    fay ce que voudres
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    I thought that was fun. Too many of the strong classic guys riding for their GC guys for it to have split up all over the place, but was still fun.

Great to see Tony Martin so chuffed to get the yellow jersey. The "ON A TEAM MATE'S BIKE!!" comments always amuse me though, it's not as if his team mates ride around on tricycles.
    The brakes were apparently hooked up the opposite way from how he normally has them though!
    I heard someone from the team say exactly the opposite - that Martin and Trentin have their brakes cabled up differently from most of the rest of the team, but the same as each other, which was a stroke of luck.

Brakes are either or arent they but it's possible that they have their Di2 set up differently. Maybe he meant something like that...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957

Brakes are either or arent they but it's possible that they have their Di2 set up differently. Maybe he meant something like that...

Most Euros (as I'm sure you know!) have their front brake on the left hand (beware this if you ever take your bike to be recabled), something to do with driving on the wrong side of the road. I can't imagine why you'd wire up your shifters the wrong way round though.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • ddraver
    Yes, I prefer my brakes the Euro way

With Di2 you can now customise the buttons so you could have the buttons normally, both upper buttons shifting easier and vice versa or any combination you may consider - which when you consider the potential for satellite shifters can be numerous
    - @ddraver
  • disgruntledgoat
    edited July 2015

With Di2 you can now customise the buttons so you could have the buttons normally, both upper buttons shifting easier and vice versa or any combination you may consider - which when you consider the potential for satellite shifters can be numerous

Ah, I see! I'm a luddite, still on 2007 Record, so these things never occur to me.

As to the cables, I had a bad experience when I was racing in France and had my bike serviced so the British way for me all day long. I am very clear with my LBS about this.

Edit: I remember Roger Hammond saying once that you should always have your back brake cabled to your writing hand as you need to modulate it more (at least that's how I'm justifying sticking to my back brake on the left!). maybe this would explain the discrepancy in the QS cabling, despite them both being Euro Weenies.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    I doubt Tony had much use for his brakes from the moment he switched bikes.
  • ddraver

Ah, I see! I'm a luddite, still on 2007 Record, so these things never occur to me.

As to the cables, I had a bad experience when I was racing in France and had my bike serviced so the British way for me all day long. I am very clear with my LBS about this.

Edit: I remember Roger Hammond saying once that you should always have your back brake cabled to your writing hand as you need to modulate it more (at least that's how I'm justifying sticking to my back brake on the left!). maybe this would explain the discrepancy in the QS cabling, despite them both being Euro Weenies.

Would make sense to me - that's the euro way. It's back to front from the motorbike way though which is the usual reason given for Britons (and it only is the british) running theirs the other way round
    - @ddraver
  • disgruntledgoat
    The brake thing is one of the quirks I love about British cycling culture growing up in total isolation for a few decades.

That and time trials that start at 6am on the busiest road you can find (I know, there's reasons!) and raffles at races. Or those prize givings where local businesses have stumped up the entire prize list in goods and services and you all go and pick something in finishing order.

@gietvangent
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    There was no organised chase after Martin because Cavendish was in the group and would likely have won a sprint. Cav staying up allowed Martin to win the stage
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    The brake thing is one of the quirks I love about British cycling culture growing up in total isolation for a few decades.

That and time trials that start at 6am on the busiest road you can find (I know, there's reasons!) and raffles at races. Or those prize givings where local businesses have stumped up the entire prize list in goods and services and you all go and pick something in finishing order.

My favourite quirk (before my time but apparently it was the norm some years back) was at amateur TTs the prize winning riders had to claim their prizes as reimbursements for cycling related purchases so receipts had to be submitted.

Out of interest, does anyone know which way Aussies typically cable their brakes?
  • gsvbagpuss
    gsvbagpuss Posts: 272
    No love for Bouhanni's ride? He did exceptionally to keep up with the big boys then sprint for a respectrable 5th. Also I really enjoyed EQS blocking for Martin in the last few corners :)
  • ddraver
    There was no organised chase after Martin because Cavendish was in the group and would likely have won a sprint. Cav staying up allowed Martin to win the stage

Great point too! I'm not sure that was the main problem (TGA took too long to decide to chase - even if it was only 5 seconds) but it must have been in their heads. I suspect that TGA expected Froome to chase to defend the jersey too but obviously it rather suited Sky to let OPQS have it
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    No love for Bouhanni's ride? He did exceptionally to keep up with the big boys then sprint for a respectrable 5th. Also I really enjoyed EQS blocking for Martin in the last few corners :)

Haha, I must admit when I saw it on the results sheet I thought it was incorrect. I never saw him once...guess he rode the shadows well.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    In case you missed it, Nibali got the most aggressive rider award, and rightly so.

20150707206__D4D5770.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976

Would make sense to me - that's the euro way. It's back to front from the motorbike way though which is the usual reason given for Britons (and it only is the british) running theirs the other way round
    The motorbike standard is global so I really do like that we British have the front brake on the right side of the bars.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • graeme_s-2
    My understanding is it's a "safety" thing for newbs. It means if you're making a right hand turn (in the UK, so left hand turn on the continent) you are left using only the rear brake so you don't snatch at the front brake and put yourself over the handlebars.

Hmm - just checked the Sheldon Brown article where my information comes from and it seems it's not as clear cut as that:

http://sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html#whichside
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
  • frenchfighter
    Liking the large gif size.

--

CORVOS_00025294-080.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • cq20
    cq20 Posts: 207
    as for right-front vs left-front brakes

... and the Australians and traditionally the Italians! (check some photos of Pantani)
  • graeme_s-2
    And the Irish apparently
  • disgruntledgoat
    as for right-front vs left-front brakes

... and the Australians and traditionally the Italians! (check some photos of Pantani)

Which would explain why Trentin and Martin's bikes were cabled up differently.

Full circle!

@gietvangent
  • ddraver
    My understanding is it's a "safety" thing for newbs. It means if you're making a right hand turn (in the UK, so left hand turn on the continent) you are left using only the rear brake so you don't snatch at the front brake and put yourself over the handlebars.

Hmm - just checked the Sheldon Brown article where my information comes from and it seems it's not as clear cut as that:

http://sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html#whichside

Nah, at the end of the day it's just what you prefer - which in 99% of cases means what you re you're used to, which in 90% of those cases means however the mechanic set your first bike up...
    - @ddraver
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Anyone else daft enough to have different bikes with both setups? Gradually converting to all LHD as cables need replacing, but I find it's pretty easy to switch between bikes with different setups...
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    Can't imagine Tony Martin did much braking yesterday. Also, on a road bike it is rarely that important - it would be pretty impressive to either go over the handle bars or lock the rear wheel.
  • ddraver
    1413584863_128900338166636220_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg

:wink:
    - @ddraver