Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited July 2015
    dupe x2
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    ^^I guess you need to watch more racing to understand...

DG - put that in the klaxon thread too would you? Another classic only used by people who bring zero knowledge of bike racing to the forum
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver

DG - put that in the klaxon thread too would you? Another classic only used by people who bring zero knowledge of bike racing to the forum
    - @ddraver
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973
    duplicate
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • ddraver

- @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    edited July 2015
    dupe x3
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dabber
    edited July 2015
    duplicate

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • dabber
    edited July 2015
    duplicate

• frenchfighter
    edited July 2015
    dupe x4
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Er no. This is not a numbers game. It is a game of trying to put the most time into your rivals. You do that by putting your flatland monster on the front to drill it. Imagine if Stannard had taken his fair share...may have added another 20 secs.

Stan was dangling off the back in the final few k as it was. I think he'd done a full shift.

Broadly speaking, in an open race, which this is, tactics can only lose you the Tour in the first two weeks. You can't win it on the first flat stage!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    edited July 2015
    As soon as people are passionately attached to riders then looking at something about them or how they have ridden loses all neutrality here. There hasn't been anything properly anti Cav or Contador on here to warrant any of the hot steam coming from anyone but from people who have a good degree of childlike 'my hero' investment in either of them. If no one had this childlike hero thing going on then there would be no claims of these people being bashed, cos in reality there's no real drama that's happened at all.

It doesn't bode well for the content of these threads when something that's actually even slightly newsworthy happens to either of these two (let alone Froome).

Grow up people, Cav can be a bit of a moody tit and Contador doesn't speak any overruling truth.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    (in the face of 3 teams already doing the work and gaining a huge gap)

Just so we are clear.
    You think it is a good idea for Sky to do nothing and let the very important gap potentially close?
    I mean they didn't even need to use any power or tactics to create the gap - the real racing teams did that. All they needed to do was take some turns when it was created.
    I'm not saying they had to, just that it is a totally sh*t way of racing that they didn't.

Oh, come on, Frenchie. If that had been Tinkoff and Contador you would be all "heavyweight racing, great conservation of resources, clever making use of other teams' riding, genius team management by Contador".
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • frenchfighter
    100% I would have called for Contador's team to work. 100%.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Just so we are clear.
    You think it is a good idea for Sky to do nothing and let the very important gap potentially close?

Was the gap ever closing though? I only watched on the highlights, but it seemed to be edging up steadily.

So your question should be: You think it is a good idea for Sky to do nothing and let other teams to the hard work to build a significant advantage over GC rivals? To which the answer is obviously "Yes". They might have got a bigger advantage by throwing caution to the wind, but there's a major element of diminishing returns when riding into the wind at 50+ kmh. There was guaranteed to be a gain in the closing stages for the front group anyway given that Etixx and Lotto would be going full bore for the sprint with no equivalent firepower in the Nibali group.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Tinkoff had another motive to work hard for a stage win for Sagan. It's only stage3!
  • frenchfighter
    edited July 2015
    ^^From one standpoint you are absolutely correct. From my moral standpoint as evidenced over the years, no.

First time Froome attacks on a mountain and Contador is the only guy to follow it will be funny to see Contador riding his wheel's while Froome asks him to work repeatedly and Contador just smiles and tells him about the Neds.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Tinkoff had another motive to work hard for a stage win for Sagan. It's only stage3!

That's the point, isn't it. Tinkoff did what was right for Tinkoff, Sky did what was right for Sky. Neither of them did anything wrong.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • frenchfighter
    Just to be clear. Sky AND BMC.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • FocusZing
    ^^From one standpoint you are absolutely correct. From my moral standpoint as evidenced over the years, no.

First time Froome attacks on a mountain and Contador is the only guy to follow it will be funny to see Contador riding his wheel's while Froome asks him to work repeatedly and Contador just smiles and tells him about the Neds.

Surely though that concept is mutual.
  • From my moral standpoint as evidenced over the years, no.

Morality? This is pro cycling!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667

So what he did last year in the Veulta, instead of working with froome and widening the gap to their rivals he sat on his wheel and let Froome ride hard for a few k before attacking under the kite? True heavyweight 100% real champion there.
  • frenchfighter
    Another one hits the block. Tiring.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    56364394.jpg
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    “AC dislocation. Same shoulder as three weeks ago. Was told its going to be the most painful three weeks four me. I eat pain for breakfast. Bring it on!,” Hansen tweeted.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Might I attempt a bit of a rapprochement?

There are arguments in favour of Sky and BMC riding either defensively or committing more aggressively - particularly BMC who had 5 (?) in the front group. There was nothing to compel them to act in either fashion due to the makeup of the group - Lotto and QS both chasing the stage etc.

There's nothing particularly wrong about Contador/Tinkoff lamenting those teams not committing, but if that is really what they wanted then they probably should have tried to find a way to compel them to do so. That they couldn't is perhaps rather telling

I'm actually reminded slightly of the 2012 Olympic road race here. There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth about the German tactics back then, but had the Brits been willing to lose then they could have sat up and they (the Germans) would have had no choice.

Anyway, perhaps everybody needs to calm down until someone get snared by an obscure rule?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

How many times has Contador benefitted from following the Sky train in the mountains before? And not had to burn his own team. Many many times.

If Tinkoff had started to slack off, you bet your butt Sky would've worked, but as they weren't slacking, it would be stupid to come through. Tinkoff forced the gap, it's their responsibility to ride.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ddraver
    Anyway, perhaps everybody needs to calm down until someone get snared by an obscure rule?

:lol::lol:
    - @ddraver
  • FocusZing
    “AC dislocation. Same shoulder as three weeks ago. Was told its going to be the most painful three weeks four me. I eat pain for breakfast. Bring it on!,” Hansen tweeted.

All I can say is it fvcking hurts. I had to be knocked out first few times it happened. The problem is once it's loose it comes out much easier.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Somebody should start "Bikeradar July Bingo" You get your card and the first one to fill it with Tour time posting staples like "Irrational loathing of Mark Cavendish", "Sky definitely doping", "power meters should be banned", "Occasional poster gets banned", "Biking Bernie makes a comeback", "Biking Bernie calls Cavendish a racist", "Biking Bernie says '600ml of packed cells'" or "Iain says it's rubbish" gets to sound a klaxon and win a prize.

Are we going to reprise the "cobbles in a grand tour" argument from last year if there is any fallout tomorrow?
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Somebody should start "Bikeradar July Bingo" You get your card and the first one to fill it with Tour time posting staples like "Irrational loathing of Mark Cavendish", "Sky definitely doping", "power meters should be banned", "Occasional poster gets banned", "Biking Bernie makes a comeback", "Biking Bernie calls Cavendish a racist", "Biking Bernie says '600ml of packed cells'" or "Iain says it's rubbish" gets to sound a klaxon and win a prize.

Are we going to reprise the "cobbles in a grand tour" argument from last year if there is any fallout tomorrow?

Didn't think we had deprised?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy