frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited July 2015
    bettiniphoto_0214213_1_full.jpg

bettiniphoto_0214122_1_full.jpg

bettiniphoto_0214136_1_full.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Factually Etixx got 99.9% of this stage bang on. The decision for renshaw to let cav go at 300m was silly, but then renshaw had fallen apart by then, Greipel just had to bide his time and once cav popped the win was his. Cancellara and Sagan did what they could do.

thats it.... I think this will make Cav angry, and hungrier. Tony Martin and Michal Kwiatkowski especially tried their socks off to get the gap up and they were visibly knackered at the end. nice to see Lottos lead out di exactly what they needed to do and dropped Greipel in exactly the right spot behind Cav.

summarily Etixx need to learn from this. Lotto played their hand expertly, and Sagan amazed me in the last 12 km, to chase back and then get a solid second.
  • frenchfighter
    I love how Froome likes to mix it in the sprints :D

Contador is the Greatest
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Cavs angry enough to bag a few this Tour.
  • frenchfighter
    edited July 2015
    However, Contador was critical of the lack of support from Sky and BMC in the front group. “I did talk to [Chris] Froome and [Tejay] van Garderen about this. You have to take full advantage of these situations. Although their teams did provide many relays, it wasn’t until very late on in the stage.”

As per usual Tinkoff and Etixx with the bad boy racers and the corporate teams riding the defensive shadows.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,707
    I love how Froome likes to mix it in the sprints :D

Finished just behind GVA, too, whereas Contador just finished behind.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • frenchfighter
    Yep, as I noted earlier, he gained 4 secs.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    TInkoff Saxo have employed a press officer havent they... Bertie appears to have fallen head over heels in love with the bullshoot

Great post Phil! Very well explianed
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    However, Contador was critical of the lack of support from Sky and BMC in the front group. “I did talk to [Chris] Froome and [Tejay] van Garderen about this. You have to take full advantage of these situations. Although their teams did provide many relays, it wasn’t until very late on in the stage.”

As per usual Tinkoff and Etixx with the bad boy racers and the corporate teams riding the defensive shadows.

I see those cycling sages over on CN have grasped at this "Sky lazy" straw, too.
    Translated: I wanted Froome to put Stan and Geraint to work early, so that we, with five riders, could blow them out the back in the last 20kms and isolate Chris, when the worst crosswinds had been forecast.
    BMC, also with 5 riders in the front group, rather more justified criticism.
  • frenchfighter
    Er no. This is not a numbers game. It is a game of trying to put the most time into your rivals. You do that by putting your flatland monster on the front to drill it. Imagine if Stannard had taken his fair share...may have added another 20 secs.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    ddraver you have worn thin already so fyi you are now on block for the rest of the Tour so I wont be reading or responding to anything you say.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Success!!
    - @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    How Nic Roche sees it:
    “Chris Froome is relaxed and focused – you see it in the way he races. Alberto is always worried about making the most of opponents’ weaknesses, where Froome is more confident in his own capabilities and just tries to ride off,” Roche explained.

“Froome thinks more about his own ride rather than planning through attacking. You’ve seen it many times – riders attack and Froome keeps his tempo. Alberto sees his opponents having trouble on a wet descent and he puts the hammer down.
  • ddraver
    Yeah I see that - I think that in reality when you ve put a 1 min/1.5 mins into 2 of your 4 rivals before the tour has reached France then you take that and conserve a bit of energy. It's already a massive slap around Nibali & Quintana's face. The only thing Sky or Saxo could ve done to make a bigger difference is to put it in the gutter at 10k to go to distance the other. By then though they were into a headwind rather than a cross wind though werent they?
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    So one is a racer with a killer instinct and the other is over confident and monotonous?

To be honest, Roche is a good little boy at licking the ego's of his leaders. I could give you a quote from him re Contador singing his praises while he was at Saxo.

In any case, Roche is normally at the back when the action hits so his opinion is not great.

Furthermore, it has little to do with yesterday's stage.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973

What the hell has it got to do with Contador how the other teams ride. He and his team can ride how they want, others can ride how they want. Nothing to do with anyone else.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Er no. This is not a numbers game. It is a game of trying to put the most time into your rivals. You do that by putting your flatland monster on the front to drill it. Imagine if Stannard had taken his fair share...may have added another 20 secs.

So Sky decide to do that by saving their two riders for the last 15km, ensuring that they aren't wasted for the rest of the week, when they would be expected to work anyway, and allowing other teams with more hands up there to pull. This also had the helpful effect of ensuring that Froome had some help if he had a problem. It's the 2nd day of a 3 week race, why cane your help to gain time you're already gaining?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    edited July 2015
    ^^I guess you need to watch more racing to understand...
    Contador is the Greatest
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Cancellara is so money. How many Tours has he worn yellow for now?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • frenchfighter

So Sky decide to do that by saving their two riders for the last 15km, ensuring that they aren't wasted for the rest of the week, when they would be expected to work anyway, and allowing other teams with more hands up there to pull. This also had the helpful effect of ensuring that Froome had some help if he had a problem. It's the 2nd day of a 3 week race, why cane your help to gain time you're already gaining?

Due to other team's efforts? Why indeed. I mean Tinkoff and Etixx should have just sat up and let it all come back. Real champions ride from the front not from the shadows. You wouldn't see Merckx or Hinault riding wheels would you.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • disgruntledgoat

Really? Your tactic is that they should throw everyone at the front to gain an extra 15s (in the face of 3 teams already doing the work and gaining a huge gap) and hang the rest of the racing to come and you want to tell me I don't understand?

Alberto Contador is not always right and may have a slight ulterior motive for wanting his rivals team to work harder.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • disgruntledgoat

Due to other team's efforts? Why indeed. I mean Tinkoff and Etixx should have just sat up and let it all come back. Real champions ride from the front not from the shadows. You wouldn't see Merckx or Hinault riding wheels would you.

Er, yes? If Hinault didn't value his teammates he wouldn't have had Renault spent lord knows how much on Fignon and LeMond, would he? The former won him the Vuelta when he was way below par.

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    “At the beginning, I was in the front group and I had Mathieu Ladagnous just in front of me, but then a guy got in between us and allowed a gap to open,” Pinot said. “I was two wheels short of being on the right side of the split. It’s a thing of nothing but then echelons always form because of a detail like that.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133

I think there is some truth in this, though not sure how aware the front bunch were about just how much damage had been done already.
  • frenchfighter

Really? Your tactic is that they should throw everyone at the front to gain an extra 15s (in the face of 3 teams already doing the work and gaining a huge gap) and hang the rest of the racing to come and you want to tell me I don't understand?

Alberto Contador is not always right and may have a slight ulterior motive for wanting his rivals team to work harder.

me
    Oh my, I can hear the indignation.
    ^^ = two posts up
    Contador is the Greatest
  • disgruntledgoat

me
    ^^ = two posts up

Aah the internets! :oops:

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    (in the face of 3 teams already doing the work and gaining a huge gap)

Just so we are clear.
    You think it is a good idea for Sky to do nothing and let the very important gap potentially close?
    I mean they didn't even need to use any power or tactics to create the gap - the real racing teams did that. All they needed to do was take some turns when it was created.
    I'm not saying they had to, just that it is a totally sh*t way of racing that they didn't.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • disgruntledgoat

me
    ^^ = two posts up

Aah the internets! :oops:

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    edited July 2015
    dupe
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973

me
    ^^ = two posts up

So that would be me you were referring to "Oh font of all knowledge"?

Do explain to me then... what the hell has it got to with Contador how other teams ride? I would expect them to be riding in what they consider to be the most advantageous way to them, which of course, would be to the greatest disadvantage to Contador.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut