Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    Well I bought my current place in late 2021, so I guess I won't be first against the wall when the centre leftie revolution comes after all :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    Stevo_666 said:

Well I bought my current place in late 2021, so I guess I won't be first against the wall when the centre leftie revolution comes after all :)

When did you buy your first place?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    edited July 2023
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Can't help but share the angst. My wife and I are both pretty high earners, but it definitey doesn't feel like it.

As for your main issue - it seems like you have chosen a career that demands you are based in London but also one that can't pay you enough to live there, and to add insult to injury you've chosen an extremly expensive place to live with particularly poor connection to the City (London Bridge and Kings X are excellent, though).

All my London pals live in Ealing, Wimbledon, Streatham, Earlsfield, Richmond etc, or just generally moved out west with none of the issues you mention.

Yeah alas a) I can’t afford those places (presumably they have some parental help or out earn me) and b) I figured being near some grandparents would be helpful.

My lot live in places like Catford or Croydon, Haringey, those sort of places.
    Nowt wrong with Croydon. Pretty sure they have a fancy fruit and veg shop somewhere 😉 Growing up with my grandparents on the other side of the country I always thought having your parents round the corner was a bit odd. Need to be in London for work and definitely not in 6 figure territory. 🤷🏻‍♂️
    Family is sort of the point of life isn’t it?
    Sure, but you don't all need to live next door to one another.
    Other side of town is alright.

The little one loves it.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

When did you buy your first place?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

rjsterry said:

Can't help but share the angst. My wife and I are both pretty high earners, but it definitey doesn't feel like it.

As for your main issue - it seems like you have chosen a career that demands you are based in London but also one that can't pay you enough to live there, and to add insult to injury you've chosen an extremly expensive place to live with particularly poor connection to the City (London Bridge and Kings X are excellent, though).

All my London pals live in Ealing, Wimbledon, Streatham, Earlsfield, Richmond etc, or just generally moved out west with none of the issues you mention.

Yeah alas a) I can’t afford those places (presumably they have some parental help or out earn me) and b) I figured being near some grandparents would be helpful.

Nowt wrong with Croydon. Pretty sure they have a fancy fruit and veg shop somewhere 😉 Growing up with my grandparents on the other side of the country I always thought having your parents round the corner was a bit odd. Need to be in London for work and definitely not in 6 figure territory. 🤷🏻‍♂️
    You would be snookered if your missus felt the same way
  • rick_chasey

rjsterry said:

You would be snookered if your missus felt the same way
    She does tbh. Yorkshire’s a long way away from London.

Have thought about the east coast commute but I can’t bring myself.
  • skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
    Would you not be better off moving north on a job with half the salary?

With the issues you have I’m thankful I’m nowhere near London.

That shouldn’t be the case but just looking pragmatically. Doing a reverse Tebbit.
  • rick_chasey
    edited July 2023
    Sure. I can’t find the work that I can or would want to do.

I’ve looked hard enough.
  • skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
    Fair do’s mate. Apologies if the post came across pithy. It wasn’t meant to. Sound like a truly sh1te scenario tbh.

We’re in a very fortunate position admittedly but I wouldn’t trade Coventry for London for family life. It’s only an hour away on a train if there is stuff we want to do down there.

I think people in the south have a very skewed view of anywhere north of Watford being a cultural desert. It’s certainly not the case.
  • rick_chasey
    edited July 2023
    I know bits of the north well. Studied there and married a northerner.

It’s really the work. I’ve got a family to support and I’m not gonna jack it all in and start at the bottom in a different industry, not least when in theory the current earnings currently should go up sharper - if it wasn’t the worst start to the year since 2008.

It’s more you can feel the decline everyday. The train is genuinely worse post Corona. Much worse. Inflation is mad, gonna get smacked with eye watering mortgage rates soon enough and most of my work im having to schlep over to the continent to do it because the roles have moved out of London.

Firm is 25% smaller in headcount than it was in Jan. It’s tough out there.
  • kingstongraham

Dare I say that Labour's biggest problem is going to be vetting candidates to make sure they don't end up with some real weirdo MPs that they didn't really expect to be elected.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    I still find it bizarre the the Lib Dems aren't making any headway. I guess it is just a case of people wanting the Tories out and seeing a vote for Labour as the best way to do that.
  • rick_chasey
    edited July 2023
    Pross said:

I still find it bizarre the the Lib Dems aren't making any headway. I guess it is just a case of people wanting the Tories out and seeing a vote for Labour as the best way to do that.

Have you seen their policies recently?

Right smack in the ven diagram between stupid, populist and mad.

Wanting to hand out money to mortgage holders, an army of NIMBY councillors while Ed Davey directly contradicts them, going all in without any consideration on the trans/gender wars.

It's been a while they were an ideologically clear party that was focused on the practical and good governance. Instead it's all weird identity stuff.
  • Pross

Pross said:

Wanting to hand out money to mortgage holders, an army of NIMBY councillors while Ed Davey directly contradicts them, going all in without any consideration on the trans/gender wars.

It's been a while they were an ideologically clear party that was focused on the practical and good governance. Instead it's all weird identity stuff.
    I was thinking purely in terms of people who've had enough of the Tories but can't bring themselves to vote Labour. There must be a lot of them and I suspect the vast majority of people don't really look in any detail at the policies of the various Parties.
  • kingstongraham

Pross said:

If the green party focussed on the environment they might do better as well.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523

Pross said:

It was quite a achievement for them to be considered the second greenest party at the last election.
  • Pross

Pross said:

Yep, they are very left wing when it comes to financial policies although being green and pro-business must be a tricky balance.
  • Stevo_666

Pross said:

So what's new?
  • rick_chasey
    Pross said:

Yep, they are very left wing when it comes to financial policies although being green and pro-business must be a tricky balance.

There's a whole new industry in financial services dedicated to exactly that.
  • Stevo_666

It’s really the work. I’ve got a family to support and I’m not gonna jack it all in and start at the bottom in a different industry, not least when in theory the current earnings currently should go up sharper - if it wasn’t the worst start to the year since 2008.

It’s more you can feel the decline everyday. The train is genuinely worse post Corona. Much worse. Inflation is mad, gonna get smacked with eye watering mortgage rates soon enough and most of my work im having to schlep over to the continent to do it because the roles have moved out of London.

Retire there. Once you're a pensioner the job thing amd the commute clearly don't matter and by then you'll have a high value property that the next generation will hate you for and which you can cash in for something very nice up North.

Have considered it myself but as the OH s a Londoner and would never move there, it's not an option.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084

Sure. I can’t find the work that I can or would want to do.

I’ve looked hard enough.

Yep. Some jobs just are Londoncentric and always will be.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,536

Pross said:

Much of which will be doomed to be written off as greenwashing by traditional green party supporters.

Tbh from an overall environmental pov it might be better if the green party can absorb the nutters from the movement and the more sensible ones can be in mainstream parties .
  • Pross

I thought the FS sector was thriving in Leeds or has that stalled?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523
    Jezyboy said:

Pross said:

Much of which will be doomed to be written off as greenwashing by traditional green party supporters.

Tbh from an overall environmental pov it might be better if the green party can absorb the nutters from the movement and the more sensible ones can be in mainstream parties .
    There are anti green washing rules coming in. The result of which is green things not describing themselves as green just in case they break the rules.

• rick_chasey
    Pross said:

I thought the FS sector was thriving in Leeds or has that stalled?
    FS is a big world. A lot going on in Leeds; not much that I know about.

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,511
    Pross said:

I think it's a measure of the loathing of the Tories that so many people will vote for Labour who wouldn't normally. It's as simple as that. Johnny Mercer's performance on QT last night should have added some more votes to Labour's tally. More extraordinary than his rudeness and fib-telling was the fact that he tweeted how well he thought it had gone.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,536

Pross said:

I think it's a measure of the loathing of the Tories that so many people will vote for Labour who wouldn't normally. It's as simple as that. Johnny Mercer's performance on QT last night should have added some more votes to Labour's tally. More extraordinary than his rudeness and fib-telling was the fact that he tweeted how well he thought it had gone.
    To be fair Starmer has done a lot to de toxify his party

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,511
    I suspect he's reading the room and trying to save his skin and reputation by untethering himself from not only Johnson but the ministers who are trying to sling political mud. He still strikes me as a bit slimy, but he's not stupid.
  • Pross
    Did a bit of Leftie bashing for Stevo today. One of the local MPs and former Shadow Home Secretary did the 10k I ran but I beat him by 20 minutes.