Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    rjsterry said:

Daft and misjudged protest, but I think equating making the few who still buy a physical copy wait a few hours for their paper, with a meaningful attack on a free press is a teeny bit hysterical.

Disappointing that this got more coverage than the bunch of neo-nazis and white nationalists who closed the port of Dover, but I guess the former was on the journos' doorstep.

One affects the boomers, the other doesn’t.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,671

rjsterry said:

Daft and misjudged protest, but I think equating making the few who still buy a physical copy wait a few hours for their paper, with a meaningful attack on a free press is a teeny bit hysterical.

Disappointing that this got more coverage than the bunch of neo-nazis and white nationalists who closed the port of Dover, but I guess the former was on the journos' doorstep.

One affects the boomers, the other doesn’t.
    Eh? Do you think boomers can't use the Internet or don't travel through Dover?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    This is possibly the stupidest and most condescending thing I've seen scrawled on a wall.

It's like they are trying to sabotage their own movement.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    Stevo_666 said:

Looks like the powers that be have lost patience with the naughty Eco-hippies: too bloody right.
    https://telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/09/05/extinction-rebellion-facing-organised-crime-curbs/

Pity they don't try their tube train stunt in East London again so they can get another taste of public opinion :)

I got caught up by the demo in Cardiff on Wednesday. The march wasn't too bad, on the whole they were masked and reasonably spaced out (maybe in more than one way!). However, they had a camp set up outside City Hall that was basically a mini festival with the police monitoring. Ironically, the same day South Wales police broke up a rave and arrested several people which seems like double standards.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    rjsterry said:

This is possibly the stupidest and most condescending thing I've seen scrawled on a wall.

It's like they are trying to sabotage their own movement.
    True, let's hope they do.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Looks like the powers that be have lost patience with the naughty Eco-hippies: too bloody right.
    https://telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/09/05/extinction-rebellion-facing-organised-crime-curbs/

Pity they don't try their tube train stunt in East London again so they can get another taste of public opinion :)

I got caught up by the demo in Cardiff on Wednesday. The march wasn't too bad, on the whole they were masked and reasonably spaced out (maybe in more than one way!). However, they had a camp set up outside City Hall that was basically a mini festival with the police monitoring. Ironically, the same day South Wales police broke up a rave and arrested several people which seems like double standards.
    Agree, I see no real reason for the different treatment.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

The correct thread for these extremists as they are not eco-hippies but extreme lefties.

Did you find it surprising that the usual outraged lefties on here did not comment on those trying to shut down free speech?
    Well true, their politics are mostly far left wing with a spot of anarchist chucked in for good measure. Hence why I put it in this thread.

IMO the impact on free speech was pretty minimal and hopefully they will soon be covered by the organised crime rules, might make a few of the idiots think twice.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

The correct thread for these extremists as they are not eco-hippies but extreme lefties.

Did you find it surprising that the usual outraged lefties on here did not comment on those trying to shut down free speech?
    Well true, their politics are mostly far left wing with a spot of anarchist chucked in for good measure. Hence why I put it in this thread.

IMO the impact on free speech was pretty minimal and hopefully they will soon be covered by the organised crime rules, might make a few of the idiots think twice.
    Yes, this stunt on the attempt to shutdown free speech will backfire and people will just see them as a more extremist organisation. This is a good thing!

However, the usual hypocrites on here would have made 50+ posts of outrage yesterday had it been a right of centre organisation trying the same stunt.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Yes, this stunt on the attempt to shutdown free speech will backfire and people will just see them as a more extremist organisation. This is a good thing!

However, the usual hypocrites on here would have made 50+ posts of outrage yesterday had it been a right of centre organisation trying the same stunt.
    There was a right of centre protest blocking Dover, and they didn't.
  • rjsterry
    Right of centre? Let's call a spade a spade, shall we: a bunch of neo nazis and white nationalists shut down a port.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry said:

Right of centre? Let's call a spade a spade, shall we: a bunch of neo nazis and white nationalists shut down a port.

KG was merely quoting... and there's no doubt that they were "right of centre" by quite some distance.
  • Stevo_666
    How the not so mighty fall :)
  • The dream is over, Stevo.
  • rick_chasey
    No regrets voting him into labour leadership, Stevo?

• Stevo_666
    edited October 2020

No.

See the stated aim on page 1 - it's worked so far, hasn't it :smile:
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,916
    Stevo_666 said:

Well, he's achieved something no previous leader of Labour has achieved.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Well, he's achieved something no previous leader of Labour has achieved.
    Could be one of a few things, most of which aren't great...
  • rjsterry
    edited October 2020
    Stevo_666 said:

No.

Shame about all the resulting antisemitism that people have had to endure though, eh? Just collateral damage I guess.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Side effects of having someone unelectably hopeless in opposition seem somewhat less good currently.

Still, interesting experiment.
  • rjsterry
    While Starmer is saying all the right things now, I'm still not sure how he rationalises being part of the shadow cabinet while this was going on.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rjsterry said:

While Starmer is saying all the right things now, I'm still not sure how he rationalises being part of the shadow cabinet while this was going on.

Yup.
  • rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

No.

Shame about all the resulting antisemitism that people have had to endure though, eh? Just collateral damage I guess.
    What does this make the 64% of the North Islington constituency electorate who voted for him 11 months ago?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

No.

What does this make the 64% of the North Islington constituency electorate who voted for him 11 months ago?
    64% of the electorate is 13,500 more than voted for him, but I know you're used to ignoring such subtle distinctions.
  • rjsterry
    edited October 2020

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

No.

Well quite (notwithstanding the distinction between those who voted and the whole electorate). Stamford Hill is a bit up the road, though.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry said:
    Those who proposed and backed his candidacy are not given enough grief
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

No.

It was there anyway. It's not like a load of lefties woke up the day after Jezza became leader and thought 'let's become anti semitic'.

By keeping them out of power the impact of this antisemitism was lessened. So there's a bonus on top of keeping Labour out of Downing Street.
  • Praise the lord for a PM and ruling party who would never flirt with racism of any kind.
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

No.

It was there anyway. It's not like a load of lefties woke up the day after Jezza became leader and thought 'let's become anti semitic'.

By keeping them out of power the impact of this antisemitism was lessened. So there's a bonus on top of keeping Labour out of Downing Street.
    Surely you of all people are aware of how entryism works. Sure those views were held all along but the people who held them weren't a major force within the party with places on the NEC. I don't recall Jewish Labour MPs leaving the party because of the abuse under Miliband, Brown or Blair, or even Smith or Kinnock, so something changed.
    Pinnacle Monzonite