Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,966
    Never said employment was the only indicator. Economic growth, wage growth also healthy, inflation low. Possibly not all but that taken together is a good indicator. Luckily the lefties won't get a chance to spoil it for a long time.
    Let's see if I can make this clear then.
    Companies books are from the previous years performance. Or quarters if they are big enough.
    The Governments figures are based on these.
    As such the figures that are reported are always out of date.
    I am suggesting that the reality of today is much worse than reported (using old figures) and that this will be reflected in the next year or two.
    I hope to be proven wrong but I think this Country is on the verge of being broken even if the Governments figures say otherwise. The EU referendum will not help.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,596
    WTF does Corbyn have to do with Cameron and Osbourne being "dangerous fools"

Childish again...
    All a bit subjective but most people think he is more of a dangerous fool, which is why he has no chance of getting into power. The tories are in government for a reason...

You're in danger of coming across like a bad loser.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Never said employment was the only indicator. Economic growth, wage growth also healthy, inflation low. Possibly not all but that taken together is a good indicator. Luckily the lefties won't get a chance to spoil it for a long time.
    Companies books are from the previous years performance. Or quarters if they are big enough.
    I am suggesting that the reality of today is much worse than reported (using old figures) and that this will be reflected in the next year or two.
    I hope to be proven wrong but I think this Country is on the verge of being broken even if the Governments figures say otherwise. The EU referendum will not help.
    Suggest all you want but you have shown me nothing to support that view.

The EU referendum will be quite refreshing I think.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660

Childish again...
    All a bit subjective but most people think he is more of a dangerous fool, which is why he has no chance of getting into power. The tories are in government for a reason...

Usually people have to lose to be bad losers....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney

To support my view? Check out the mass redundancies happening all over the Country if you can take your eyes away from London and the SE. And the total disillusionment.
    As I said earlier, I cannot see that any Party is the solution but I predict a reckoning.

That's the thing with predicting the future, no one can prove it.
    Until the day comes for the told you so's.
    We will see but up until then everything is bluster, conjecture and guesswork.

We can resume this after the next election. Believe it or not, I hope you are the happy one because it will mean that the Country has not imploded. I will be happy with that too and equally happy to doff a cap.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    For all the talk about increasing GDP, 12% of that comes from rent and imputed rent. Not a particularly solid foundation on which to build for the future.
  • Stevo_666

Childish again...

Usually people have to lose to be bad losers....
    Sorry for not making that clear - I was referring to whichever political party you support. You clearly aren't a tory supporter so regardless of which one it is, yours lost the last election.
  • Stevo_666

To support my view? Check out the mass redundancies happening all over the Country if you can take your eyes away from London and the SE. And the total disillusionment.
    As I said earlier, I cannot see that any Party is the solution but I predict a reckoning.

That's the thing with predicting the future, no one can prove it.
    Until the day comes for the told you so's.
    We will see but up until then everything is bluster, conjecture and guesswork.

We can resume this after the next election. Believe it or not, I hope you are the happy one because it will mean that the Country has not imploded. I will be happy with that too and equally happy to doff a cap.
    Show me some numbers then. Its easy to point to high profile pieces of bad news like the Redcar steel plant and assume that it is all bad news or that the overall pattern is going in the wrong direction.

As for the future, well I never knew we couldn't predict it until you pointed that out :roll: That said, still happy to have a bet with you on the outcome of the next GE. If you are that confident about the reckoning, surely you must also think the tories will come a cropper? See my offer of a bet earlier in this thread.

The lack of willingness of people to make an un-caveated bet with me on the result - despite all the bluster on here - speaks volumes :)
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    edited October 2015
    this country is mess, we cant even afford to build 2 power stations without risking our national security and getting the chinese to build it, Osbourne/Cameron are dangerous fools.

And Corbyns lot aren't? :lol: So much delusion...

last time i looked, Corbyn isnt in power nor is giving the keys for national critical nuclear power stations to the chinese, China isnt just providing funds, they ll be running them, designing them , writing software, is this wise?
    Japan is a crucial ally of ours, look what the Chinese are doing to them in the far east, a power station can last decades, who knows what the world will look like over time.

i believe a former MI6 dierector has said this chinese involvment is foolish, but underlying this is the fact the UK just isnt doing as well as you make out, we are even promising to pay DOUBLE the current unit price to EDF for this facility, better hope shale gas doesnt boom and slash energy costs.
  • pblakeney
    The lack of willingness of people to make an un-caveated bet with me on the result - despite all the bluster on here - speaks volumes :)
    £50 to a charity of your choice against a Conservative majority win.
    Happy?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Stevo_666
    £50 to a charity of your choice against a Conservative majority win.
    Happy?
    That'll do ta. Yours plus mamba's makes the amount I'd originally offered.
  • Stevo_666
  • Stevo_666
    And possibly the first half decent article I've seen by The Guardian in a while:
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/sep/13/jeremy-corbyn-followers-disillusion-labour-party
    Written only the day after Corbyn was elected leader but pretty much spot on IMO.
  • mamba80
    Are you going to answer the points raised about chinese involvment in Nuclear power plants?

the thread is about saving the country :wink:
  • pblakeney
    Are you going to answer the points raised about chinese involvment in Nuclear power plants?

Any truth in the rumours about the Chinese buying the LSE?
    I see a trend.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Stevo_666

I don't know enough about that to comment, but good attempt to take the spotlight off Corbyn.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686

I don't know enough about that to comment, but good attempt to take the spotlight off Corbyn.

The Tories are the alternative to Corbyn. Their performance in government is inversely related to Corbyn's chances of success.
  • Stevo_666

The Tories are the alternative to Corbyn. Their performance in government is inversely related to Corbyn's chances of success.
    They must be performing incredibly well then :wink:
  • mamba80

Rubbish Stev0, you only need 1/2 a brain to see making a deal like this with a communist state that has an apalling human rights record is foolhardy and i suspect your un willingness to criticise the Tories over this show you know it too, unless you think the Chinese are suitable people to have their finger on our nuclear button?

No spot light off Jez by me, but if you think a guy who isnt even in power is a danger to the country, then maybe you should look at the people who you adore that really could be endangering this country as soon as next week! even Liam Fox thinks so too.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    In fairness, Corbyn would likely show more backbone when dealing with despots (however lucrative) than Osbourne, who refused to comment on human rights abuses in China.

He'd also likely not see the advantage of the renminbi using London as its home away from home but if you can't stand up for basic civil and human liberties as the #2 for the UK what can you do? It's the UK's best export (though recent crops have been poor....)
  • Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    Only have to see what China is doing with cheap steel exports to the rest of the world, they dont care about UK workers and this in a period of warm relations.

Those powerstations and HS2 rail ways will be build with Chinese steel and we ll be left to pay the workers out of work benefits and lost tax receipts.

Cameron could help the steel UK industry with reductions in energy costs and procurement but they wont, just talk.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,026
    Yeah but it's OK because Chinese millionaires will come over to London and buy a Gucci handbag and a couple of houses and we can turn the North into an industrial heritage theme park.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Stevo_666

Rubbish Stev0, you only need 1/2 a brain to see making a deal like this with a communist state that has an apalling human rights record is foolhardy and i suspect your un willingness to criticise the Tories over this show you know it too, unless you think the Chinese are suitable people to have their finger on our nuclear button?

No spot light off Jez by me, but if you think a guy who isnt even in power is a danger to the country, then maybe you should look at the people who you adore that really could be endangering this country as soon as next week! even Liam Fox thinks so too.
    There is a subtle difference between being involved in building and running a nuclear power station and 'having their finger on the nuclear button :roll: Would you like me to explain?

If youre going to ban trade with or investment from countries which have less than perfect human right record you will restrict the potential for trade quite a bit. USA and Guantanamo? Australia's treatment of asylum seekers? A few of our esteemed european partners are hardly whiter than white within living memory.

I'm fairly sure they arent going to invite them in and show them all of our nuclear secrets.

The bigger joke is a Labour leader who refuses to have his finger anywhere the nuclear button despite apparently being in charge of a party that wants to keep the UK nuclear deterrant :lol: I know lefties like wasting our money but that's taking things a bit too far...
  • Stevo_666
    Getting back on topic again, didn't take long for the plotting to begin:
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/tom-watson-being-lined-up-by-unions-to-replace-jeremy-corbyn-a3093606.html
    No wonder they call them 'New Old Labour'. Same old bunch of factional backstabbers in the pockets of hard left union barons.
  • pblakeney
    There is a subtle difference between being involved in building and running a nuclear power station and 'having their finger on the nuclear button :roll:
    Here's the thing.....
    Their involvement is at our detriment.
    Think about it.
    They are not investing in the UK, they are robbing us.
    They invest in their companies who will be supplying the industry.
    Once complete we have to pay for that investment.
    Meanwhile our industries collapse leaving the Chinese industries with less competition.

If I am wrong and this is is a good business deal, then why is it China doing it and not our Government?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    In fairness, Corbyn would likely show more backbone when dealing with despots (however lucrative) than Osbourne, who refused to comment on human rights abuses in China.

He'd also likely not see the advantage of the renminbi using London as its home away from home but if you can't stand up for basic civil and human liberties as the #2 for the UK what can you do? It's the UK's best export (though recent crops have been poor....)

I would hope that whatever pressure that can be brought to bear is being done so behind the scenes. I assume not all FO and Dept of Trade actions are played out in public.
    I am minded of the scene in A Few Good Men when Demi Moore's character 'objects' in a courtroom scene and is over ruled. She then 'strenuously objects'. That is the extent of our power over the Chinese.
    We can huff and puff all we like but in all honesty can have limited effect on Chinese policy. We just don't have enough clout.
  • mamba80
    There is a subtle difference between being involved in building and running a nuclear power station and 'having their finger on the nuclear button :roll: Would you like me to explain?

If youre going to ban trade with or investment from countries which have less than perfect human right record you will restrict the potential for trade quite a bit. USA and Guantanamo? Australia's treatment of asylum seekers? A few of our esteemed european partners are hardly whiter than white within living memory.

I'm fairly sure they arent going to invite them in and show them all of our nuclear secrets.

The bigger joke is a Labour leader who refuses to have his finger anywhere the nuclear button despite apparently being in charge of a party that wants to keep the UK nuclear deterrant :lol: I know lefties like wasting our money but that's taking things a bit too far...

Your an itelligent guy steve0, so i find it hard to believe you cant see the difference between day to day business and our future electricity needs, esp those derived from nuclear.

As for any pressure on china re human rights, the UK was frozen out of trade deals after cameron met the dia lama, china will not suffer any criticism and as i said, china is showing its colours in the S china seas.
    We have zero clout, which is exactly why having china as a nuclear bed fellow is madness.

Corbyn isnt the threat here, Cameron and Osborne are, if china asked for our nuclear secrets, Cameron would be giving them the keys! least they pulled the plug on us!!!

Chinese saying (my sister in law is Chinese) "dig the hole, and let them jump in" we are jumping in with our eyes closed!
  • ballysmate
    As Stevo points out above, Labour are committed to Trident at a cost of 100Bn(?) over the next decades. Its sole purpose is deterrence. The rationale being that a nuclear power would not attack us on the basis that there is a chance, no matter how slim, that we would retaliate.
    Corbyn accepts that and then says that he would never use it, thereby removing the deterrence.
    So his policy is to spend the money anyway, having flushed its use down the crapper.
    Bravo!!
  • ballysmate
    China has 23 nuclear power plants with another 26 under construction. What nuclear secrets would they be asking Cameron to hand over?
  • Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    As Stevo points out above, Labour are committed to Trident at a cost of 100Bn(?) over the next decades. Its sole purpose is deterrence. The rationale being that a nuclear power would not attack us on the basis that there is a chance, no matter how slim, that we would retaliate.
    Corbyn accepts that and then says that he would never use it, thereby removing the deterrence.
    So his policy is to spend the money anyway, having flushed its use down the crapper.
    Bravo!!

So write down a list of the top 10 states that could threaten the west, china in there? already threatening US (and our) allies in Pacific and we are giving them a hand in our crucial future power requirements.
    Regardless, the UK would never ever launch an independant nuclear strike without the US having already done so, or maybe that should read " uk would only do so, if china told us too"

the amounts china is promising is relatively small and something we could either do our selves or borrow and invest in, securing our nuclear industry and know how.