Giro D'Italia- Stage 15 ***Spoilers***

Comments

• dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Hesjedal has heart. Rode the whole climb solo and comes in 3 mins down
    I like him, he might not be up there with Aru and Contador but the guy is a fighter.

It is difficult not to like the guy and his never-say-die attitude, POC glasses notwithstanding.

DD.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    edited May 2015
    Paul 8v wrote:
    I like him, he might not be up there with Aru and Contador but the guy is a fighter.

It is difficult not to like the guy and his never-say-die attitude, POC glasses notwithstanding.

DD.
    Haha, I'm almost used to them now, at least he's easy to pick out I suppose and the vented POC helmet is much better than the bowling ball aero one!
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Sort of class we've come to expect from Oleg :roll:

@olegtinkov: Hotels in Italian mountains aren't luxury enough. I'm on the market for renting motorhome for the third #Giro week, any suggestions ? :-)
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Paul 8v wrote:
    I'm sure this has been covered on the previous pages but did Astana not get the memo that the TTT was stage 1?
    That's what I pointed out to the missus, lined up steaming up a steep climb with everyone else falling out of the back.... only Contador able to keep up...... frantic radio messages from base 'slow down, slow down....' .

Looks like we're back in the old days, these things don't just happen, they've been preparing all winter.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • wombly_knees
    wombly_knees Posts: 657
    Craigus89 wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:
    If Quintana and Froome stay upright and are fit then Contador won't win the Tour.

Umm, what are you basing that on? Presumably not current form, rather your dislike of Contador?
    2011?
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Craigus89 wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:
    If Quintana and Froome stay upright and are fit then Contador won't win the Tour.

Umm, what are you basing that on? Presumably not current form, rather your dislike of Contador?

Just my opinion. I was putting it out there to see what other people's opinions are. It's been well documented how hard it is to win the Giro-Tour double. I think if he was up against second tier Grand Tour riders then he could do it, but not against riders as strong as Quintana and Froome (who by the way beat Contador the last time they raced against him).

I actually don't dislike Contador and I've said on numerous occasions that he is the best GT rider of the last 20 years, but he certainly isn't my favourite rider.
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Milton50 wrote:
    Craigus89 wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:

Just my opinion. I was putting it out there to see what other people's opinions are. It's been well documented how hard it is to win the Giro-Tour double. I think if he was up against second tier Grand Tour riders then he could do it, but not against riders as strong as Quintana and Froome (who by the way beat Contador the last time they raced against him).

I actually don't dislike Contador and I've said on numerous occasions that he is the best GT rider of the last 20 years, but he certainly isn't my favourite rider.

Contador beat Froome and Quintana in the Vuelta, the last GT they raced in.
  • milton50
    Yeh, I'm talking about the last time they raced against each other in a stage race.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Which as we know is irrelevant as a week stage race is nothing compared to a GT in addition to the fact Contador deliberately is peaking for Giro and for Tour and the rest this year doesnt matter.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Paul 8v wrote:

DD.

I thought you and others on here didnt like dopers?

Hesjedal was a heavyweight doper in the past.

I guess your opinion tables turn because Canada is part of the Commenwealth?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • milton50
    It certainly won't have a huge bearing on what happens at the Tour, but neither is it irrelevant.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Is it just me or are most of these threads becoming unreadable?
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    As a side note, if you watch the Eurosport highlights you can appreciate just how good a commentator Rob Hatch is as you can listen to Carlton commentating on the same race (obviously not for too long though as it will send you insane).
  • milton50
    I know it's boring. I've tried not to get into these kind back and forth debates since I joined but for some reason I succumbed yesterday. I'll stop now.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Which as we know is irrelevant as a week stage race is nothing compared to a GT in addition to the fact Contador deliberately is peaking for Giro and for Tour and the rest this year doesnt matter.

Well I agree it's hard to look past Contador at the moment, while I don't think it's a done deal it's probably where I would put my money - but I'd much prefer a strong Quintana and Froome to be able to put the pressure on him, would make for a much more interesting race.
  • frenchfighter
    Oh they certainly will pressure him! It will possibly be the hardest Tour for ages and the best inform lineup. Not much TT miles and some nasty mountain stages. It will be a super tough Tour to win for anyone.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Contador's chances of winning the Tour will, in a large part, be determined by how hard Astana can make him work in this final week. They might not be able to win the Giro for Aru but they could possibly give Nibali a better chance in July.
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    giro15st12-aru-finish-620.jpg
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470

last time they both rode a gt fit froome destroyed him, to the extent that contador is now utterly obsessed with froome and can't ride without continually looking for him.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • dolan_driver
    Paul 8v wrote:

DD.

I reckon there there are three types of riders in the peloton these days.

1. Riders who have never doped and are riding clean.

2. Riders who have doped, admitted their mistakes, and are now riding clean.

3. Riders who doped, were caught, still denied it, and continue to ride in the bunch, either clean or possibly still micro-dosing, AKA unrepentant dopers.

I think numbers 1 and 2 have a place in the modern peloton, number 3 doesn't. Ryder falls into the second category while the evidence indicates, in my opinion, that Alberto is in category 3. Thus, I can take no joy from any of his performances.

Contador is undoubtedly a huge talent and is probably otherwise a very decent guy but he has failed a dope test and still denies it. Regardless of the detected quantity, he had Clenbutoral in his system while competing in the Tour de France! He wasn't in some chipper in Mexico or China where he might have had a reasonable excuse had he consumed some local cuisine (no pun intended :lol: ). He was matching Rasmussen when the Dane was filled to the gills with EPO. What does that tell us? I'll enjoy the rest of this Giro following the progress of Konig and Ryder and, hopefully, a resurgent Uran. You are a big Contador fan and good luck to you. I don't think the guy can be trusted and so I disregard his performances.

Ryder's nationality is irrelevant. I don't live in the Commonwealth. :) He rides for a credible team. That's good enough for me.

DD.
  • dolan_driver
    thegibdog wrote:
    As a side note, if you watch the Eurosport highlights you can appreciate just how good a commentator Rob Hatch is as you can listen to Carlton commentating on the same race (obviously not for too long though as it will send you insane).

Yep, got to agree with you on Rob Hatch. He is very good and complements Kelly quite well.

DD.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Paul 8v wrote:

DD.

I reckon there there are three types of riders in the peloton these days.

1. Riders who have never doped and are riding clean.

2. Riders who have doped, admitted their mistakes, and are now riding clean.

3. Riders who doped, were caught, still denied it, and continue to ride in the bunch, either clean or possibly still micro-dosing, AKA unrepentant dopers.

I think numbers 1 and 2 have a place in the modern peloton, number 3 doesn't. Ryder falls into the second category while the evidence indicates, in my opinion, that Alberto is in category 3. Thus, I can take no joy from any of his performances.

Contador is undoubtedly a huge talent and is probably otherwise a very decent guy but he has failed a dope test and still denies it. Regardless of the detected quantity, he had Clenbutoral in his system while competing in the Tour de France! He wasn't in some chipper in Mexico or China where he might have had a reasonable excuse had he consumed some local cuisine (no pun intended :lol: ). He was matching Rasmussen when the Dane was filled to the gills with EPO. What does that tell us? I'll enjoy the rest of this Giro following the progress of Konig and Ryder and, hopefully, a resurgent Uran. You are a big Contador fan and good luck to you. I don't think the guy can be trusted and so I disregard his performances.

Ryder's nationality is irrelevant. I don't live in the Commonwealth. :) He rides for a credible team. That's good enough for me.

DD.

4. Riders who are currently doping and have never been caught.

5. Riders who were done incorrectly for doping (and that's why they deny it).
  • frenchfighter
    gsk82 wrote:

last time they both rode a gt fit froome destroyed him, to the extent that contador is now utterly obsessed with froome and can't ride without continually looking for him.

I guess you didn't watch the Vuelta 2014?
    2013 Tour was an off one by his standards so pretty much irrelevant.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dolan_driver
    inseine wrote:

4. Riders who are currently doping and have never been caught.

5. Riders who were done incorrectly for doping (and that's why they deny it).

Yep, and some would argue Contador is a No.5 but the fact is he failed that test. The substance was in his system, maybe by accident, but the evidence would indicate that the likelihood of that being the case is extremely remote.

DD.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Ryder admitted doping when Rasmussen blew the lid on it - he didn't just come out and admit it voluntarily - and he suffered no punishment. He also probably knew or was advised that an admission - but only to what he was accused of already - would see him take on the David Millar role of victim rather than villain. I don't see what he has done as being in any way morally superior to Contador - if you dope and then fess up when you are caught or continue to deny it so what you still doped and you didn't admit it because of a guilty conscience you took a rational decision that the best way to clear your reputation was to admit and move on.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Bo Duke wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    I'm sure this has been covered on the previous pages but did Astana not get the memo that the TTT was stage 1?
    That's what I pointed out to the missus, lined up steaming up a steep climb with everyone else falling out of the back.... only Contador able to keep up...... frantic radio messages from base 'slow down, slow down....' .

Looks like we're back in the old days, these things don't just happen, they've been preparing all winter.
    I don't really like to dwell on that side of the sport as there's plenty of others who can fill that void but Jesus Christ on this particular occasion it looks bloody odd. Out on our club ride yesterday there were many, many comments made on it but I won't put them on here!
  • frenchfighter
    Wasn't that fast in comparison:

Madonna di Campiglio
    2015:15,1 km@6,0%---35:45---average speed 25.34 km/h(Mikel Landa)-finish at Patascoss, 1725m
    2013:11,8 km@5,9%---28:34---average speed 24.78 km/h(Ulissi-15 riders group)
    1999:11,8 km@5,9%---25:01---average speed 28.30 km/h(Marco Pantani)-RECORD

http://www.climbing-records.com/2015/05 ... na-di.html

+on the previous climb, the peloton went up only 20/30 or so seconds faster than Siutsou.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Wasn't that fast in comparison:

Madonna di Campiglio
    2015:15,1 km@6,0%---35:45---average speed 25.34 km/h(Mikel Landa)-finish at Patascoss, 1725m
    2013:11,8 km@5,9%---28:34---average speed 24.78 km/h(Ulissi-15 riders group)
    1999:11,8 km@5,9%---25:01---average speed 28.30 km/h(Marco Pantani)-RECORD

http://www.climbing-records.com/2015/05 ... na-di.html

+on the previous climb, the peloton went up only 20/30 or so seconds faster than Siutsou.
    OK, so in this set of stats, in addition to ignoring all the other variables that make these timings virtually meaningless (weather/wind, the stage route leading to the final climb, the position of each stage in the race, the difficulty of preceding stages, the way the stage was ridden, the number of riders in the group on the climb, etc), they're also comparing times from a climb that route changes apparently made 3.3k longer and slightly steeper than in previous visits? I don't think these figures really tell us anything about the level of the Astana performance either way.
  • frenchfighter
    Good for you.

That's all I have to say to you on the matter as I have zero desire to go in some long circular discussion with you like I have witnessed on the stage 10 thread.
    Contador is the Greatest