Top end Bib shorts

Comments

• prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    Is anyone able to compare the pad with the Castelli Progetto X2 after having gone for a ride?
  • englander
    englander Posts: 232
    Ahem, well my request on giving me free postage even on just one pair of bib shorts was answered very quickly, unfortunately they said no (if you don't ask, you don't get). They also recommended a medium size when I wondered if I might be a large. 183cm height/35cm waist (am I supposed to measure over the hip bones or the fleshy bits just above?)/90cm inside leg.

This puts me at L according to height (the measure I assumed was more important) but as an M according to waist. Any thoughts, anyone?
    Specialized Allez 2010
    Strava
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Straps are pretty stretchy, and should give a bit when you're on the bike.

I would be concerned about how loose/tight they were on your legs
  • englander
    Straps are pretty stretchy, and should give a bit when you're on the bike.

I would be concerned about how loose/tight they were on your legs

Using the universal measurement of circumference at tan lines, my thighs are 44cm...
    Specialized Allez 2010
    Strava
  • snakedoc
    snakedoc Posts: 200
    Been following this thread with interest, and given the further price reduction, have pulled the trigger on 2 pairs of classic shorts (XS).
    I usually wear assos S5's and castelli free race aero's, so it will be interesting to see how these compare.

Thanks everyone for the reviews & of course the discount code!
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    edited June 2015
    Ahem, well my request on giving me free postage even on just one pair of bib shorts was answered very quickly, unfortunately they said no (if you don't ask, you don't get). They also recommended a medium size when I wondered if I might be a large. 183cm height/35cm waist (am I supposed to measure over the hip bones or the fleshy bits just above?)/90cm inside leg.

This puts me at L according to height (the measure I assumed was more important) but as an M according to waist. Any thoughts, anyone?

I'm guessing your waist is 35" and not cm? If so, that's 2" more than me :D
    Your inside leg is 35.5", which is 1.5" more than me.
    You are 6ft tall which is also 2" taller than me, and I find the small ones spot on, so I would have thought with those relatively small differences that their suggestion of the medium should be bang on the nose.
    Oh and also my thigh seems to come in at 41.5cm versus your 44cm, so again a small difference.

Also thinking about it, like me, it would appear you have long legs and a comparatively short torso (Ie your torso is only 0.5" longer than mine as your extra 2" in height is mostly made up by a 1.5" longer inside leg than me) - so you need the straps to be tight enough - which is why I went small.

From trying them on and the reviews, it would seem that they are designed to have a bit of a compression fit - if you look at the pictures on the site, the grippers are compressing the leg, as you can see the rest of the leg bulging out slightly above it - by design I am hoping :lol:

Re the postage - if you can afford it would just get 2 (Even if you put one into stock), £64 for a short of this quality is pretty much unheard of imho.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Anonymous
    Agree with that. I'm 6ft 32w 32leg and am about to go for a medium
  • englander

I'm guessing your waist is 35" and not cm? If so, that's 2" more than me :D
    Your inside leg is 35.5", which is 1.5" more than me.
    You are 6ft tall which is also 2" taller than me, and I find the small ones spot on, so I would have thought with those relatively small differences that their suggestion of the medium should be bang on the nose.
    Oh and also my thigh seems to come in at 41.5cm versus your 44cm, so again a small difference.

Also thinking about it, like me, it would appear you have long legs and a comparatively short torso (Ie your torso is only 0.5" longer than mine as your extra 2" in height is mostly made up by a 1.5" longer inside leg than me) - so you need the straps to be tight enough - which is why I went small.

From trying them on and the reviews, it would seem that they are designed to have a bit of a compression fit - if you look at the pictures on the site, the grippers are compressing the leg, as you can see the rest of the leg bulging out slightly above it - by design I am hoping :lol:

Re the postage - if you can afford it would just get 2 (Even if you put one into stock), £64 for a short of this quality is pretty much unheard of imho.

That's a comprehensive reply, thanks. No idea where I plucked 35cm from, my waist is in fact very similar to yours.

The funniest bit is, I didn't even need new shorts until I read this thread!
    Specialized Allez 2010
    Strava
  • bomster
    bomster Posts: 202
    Hi guys, about to pull the trigger on some La Passione's but after reading the above I'm not sure about sizing.

Height: 6ft
    Waist: 33inch
    Leg: inside leg 33inch

Was going to go for large, solely due to my height, but perhaps I too should choose medium?

In other news, I've got some Rapha Classic Bibs (large) on the way, so will do a bit of a comparison at a later date.
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    Wishing I'd bought two pairs now. Did 110km in the Peak District in mine today and I didn't even think twice about the fact I was wearing them. Supremely comfortable, and the fit is spot on. Top marks La Passione.
  • englander
    I think I'm going to settle on medium. On the off chance, say I were to buy 2 to save the 10€ shipping, is there anyone in London who would want to buy the second pair off me?
    Specialized Allez 2010
    Strava
  • daniel_b
    Hi guys, about to pull the trigger on some La Passione's but after reading the above I'm not sure about sizing.

Height: 6ft
    Waist: 33inch
    Leg: inside leg 33inch

Was going to go for large, solely due to my height, but perhaps I too should choose medium?

In other news, I've got some Rapha Classic Bibs (large) on the way, so will do a bit of a comparison at a later date.

I would deffo say medium, but maybe drop them a line to see what they recommend.
    Height is not the defining measure of fit generally, as the straps will stretch a lot, so quite a bit of leeway to be had - as long as they are tight enough to start with.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • englander
    Just doing some research, the pad in the bibs is the Bastogne Elastic Interface chamois, which is in the same category as the pad in the DHB Aeron Pros. It's rated as a medium distance pad, allegedly good for 4 hours, although the product description boasts upwards of 6.

Comparison of the two: Aeron Pros vs LPs

They appear almost identical.
    Specialized Allez 2010
    Strava
  • daniel_b
    edited June 2015
    Just doing some research, the pad in the bibs is the Bastogne Elastic Interface chamois, which is in the same category as the pad in the DHB Aeron Pros. It's rated as a medium distance pad, allegedly good for 4 hours, although the product description boasts upwards of 6.

Comparison of the two: Aeron Pros vs LPs

They appear almost identical.

Intriguing. I thought it was mentioned somewhere that these had the same pads as certain Rapha shorts.
    Do we not think that is the case?

Put one pair on to wash overnight as noticed it advised washing before first use.
    If I am not blown away on Saturday I'll cancel the second order.
    Bit dissappointing if these are indeed the same pads as in £50 bibs - appreciate they are not costing much more, but are being touted as custom designed for circa half the price.
    Perhaps this is a case of 'if it seems too good to be true...'
    Though having said that, the reviews on this thread and on their website are glowing, so perhaps the cut/material and fit are what make it what it is.
    I will try and keep an open mind.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Yeah if LP use the Bastogne then its also exactly the same as Merlin have in their bibs for £45...

Cant find what Rapha use other than an article that it is one of the anatomic pads - so suggests they use a different one to LP.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    I dont think it was the same pads as rapha that was mentioned more that the cut and material of the shorts look similar to Rapha. Rapha pads are good enough but they are not IMO as good as Castelli or Assos, the lycra on the other hand feels better quality.

As for DHB shorts my experience is that the pad placement is quite far back (this might suit some people but not my position on a bike) and the lycra goes see through quickly, so while it might "only" be £50 i wouldnt purchase another pair over taking a gamble on LP, a brand i have no prior experience of.
  • ArniSig
    ArniSig Posts: 10
    Oops, just bought the LP Summer Bibs.

I only have the Specialized WindStopper with the Green pad, and our Club kit is from the Manufacturer of Specialized clothing and it has the red/orange padding. Some of my clubmates have been complaining they don't really like the pad, but I have no reference.

Really excited to try the summer bibs out. Used the discount code for 15% off :)
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Yeah if LP use the Bastogne then its also exactly the same as Merlin have in their bibs for £45....

'Bike Radar flavour of the month product turns out to be overhyped' shocker. Read all about it!
  • Anonymous
    It is the cytech pad as used by rapha:

http://www.lapassione.cc/pages/our-story
  • daniel_b

Thanks for that, thought I was going nuts for a minute!
    Apologies if I am missing the obvious here, (And I am sure someone else will ask otherwise!) but how do we know what pad\pads *Rapha use?
    *I haven't had a look online at all, just saw someone a few posts back saying they were unable to find it.

Bibs currently drying in the garage - ready to go for a 60 tomorrow I hope.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • englander

Where does it say which particular pad is used? Cytech Elastic Interface make dozens of different pads.

Edit: just to point out, my only source for it being the Bastogne pad is a random internet post, and the fact that the picture is the closest matching design so I'm happy to be disproven.
    Specialized Allez 2010
    Strava
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    Rapha use Cytech pads but afaik the pad in the PT bibs/Sky bibs is designed specifically for that pair of shorts i.e. you won’t find the same one in another brand’s.
  • englander
    I've just emailed them to clarify for the benefit of all. If their reply is as speedy as it was when I emailed them yesterday, we should get an answer soon after they get into work this morning.
    Specialized Allez 2010
    Strava
  • Anonymous
    Rapha use Cytech pads but afaik the pad in the PT bibs/Sky bibs is designed specifically for that pair of shorts i.e. you won’t find the same one in another brand’s.

I thought they were exactly the same pad, except that the PT shorts it's stitched further forwards for a more aggressive racing position on the bike
  • daniel_b
    I've just emailed them to clarify for the benefit of all. If their reply is as speedy as it was when I emailed them yesterday, we should get an answer soon after they get into work this morning.

Cheers dude.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • englander
    Drum roll please: http://www.elasticinterface.com/schede/endurance-anatomic-joker-men/

It is that one but in full yellow. Rated at 5 hours (still short of their 6 hours+ claim) but I can confirm that it is a step up from the Bastogne.
    Specialized Allez 2010
    Strava
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535

Sorry, but thats not right. Cytech is the group of companies, of which elastic interface make the pads for LP and for Rapha - that much seems clear. They make a wide range of pads though - nothing in your link says which one, or that it is the same one that Rapha use.

I dont know where people worked out it is the bastogne (I can see it said on another forum too but not from any reliable source), but if true then that is mid range for cytech. I dont know what Rapha use - cant find that info either but the pics I have seen dont look like anything on the Elastic Interface website.
  • englander

Sorry, but thats not right. Cytech is the group of companies, of which elastic interface make the pads for LP and for Rapha - that much seems clear. They make a wide range of pads though - nothing in your link says which one, or that it is the same one that Rapha use.

I dont know where people worked out it is the bastogne (I can see it said on another forum too but not from any reliable source), but if true then that is mid range for cytech. I dont know what Rapha use - cant find that info either but the pics I have seen dont look like anything on the Elastic Interface website.

Refer to previous post for which pad is used in the LP.
    Specialized Allez 2010
    Strava
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    The Cytech pad in the Aeron Pro for me was horrible, too many lumps and bumps. Whereas the simple pad design of the Cytech pad in Rapha Shorts works much better for me. The one in the LP looks very similar to the Rapha one but in fairness as someone pointed out it is also is similar to the one that Merlin are using in their £45 shorts.
  • snipsnap
    snipsnap Posts: 259
    Drum roll please: http://www.elasticinterface.com/schede/endurance-anatomic-joker-men/

It is that one but in full yellow. Rated at 5 hours (still short of their 6 hours+ claim) but I can confirm that it is a step up from the Bastogne.

looks very much like the pad in my Rapha 3/4 knicks, which is crazy comfy!

I'm might take a punt on a pair of these and a pair of mitts (to get free shipping). certainly easier to explain to the Mrs than the rapha purchase which would be double the price!