Top end Bib shorts

Comments

• Been thinking about this for a while. Disappointed with the finishing on my recent Castelli purchases, will pay for Rapha jerseys but their shorts are extortionate, DHB's are cheap on Wiggle with good reviews but mostly from beginners ........ so just ordered a pair of Assos Uno T S5s from the Factory :-)
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,592
    So I popped into work yesterday and eagerly picked up the Pactimo shorts - even through the packaging they felt like good quality, not quite sure how that works, but they did!

Took them out the packet this morning, and they look and feel lovely to the touch - I went for a Small, and it was perhaps a touch snug around the leg grippers, but perfectly acceptable, however, I was properly dissapointed when I pulled up the bibs, and they were too loose for me, as in when I am stood upright there is spare material on them, and from seeing their video, I realise these bibs are a tailored curved cut, so should perhaps even feel a bit tight when stood up, but then perfect on the bike.
    When I put myself into the riding position it of course made it worse :cry:

I do have a short upper body, but can normally get around this by just going for a slightly smaller size than might be ideal, ie my Mavic and Castelli bibs are all small, medium in Santini and Etxeondo - but as the straps were so far out on these, very sadly it seems that they are not for people with short torsos.

Unreasonably dissappointed not to be able to wear these today as was really looking forward to hopefulyl finding bib nirvana!

In reality I think my Etxeondo's are enough for me, but was curious to see what all the fuss was about.

I will ask the question of them if they have considered making one with shorter straps, but I expect a design is a design, and they won't have that level of flexibility.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • turbo1191
    turbo1191 Posts: 501
    Im watching this thread with interest. Also in the market for new bibs.. roughly in the £100 bracket. Im thinking of either the endura fs 260 pro sl's at £90 or the Assos Uno T S5s form the outlet at about £100. The few pairs of bibs that i have dont seem to quite suit my sit bones.. im more of an upright position than a stertched racy position.. :?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Rapha Classic or similar. Email the guys at La Passione as they are 80 delivered. Its the same pad and a very similar short, just a case of whether they stitch it further back (Classic) or forward (Pro Team)
  • daniel_b
    coriordan wrote:
    Rapha Classic or similar. Email the guys at La Passione as they are 80 delivered. Its the same pad and a very similar short, just a case of whether they stitch it further back (Classic) or forward (Pro Team)

In light of my Pactimo excursion not working out, do you happen to know if La Passione ever have promotions\discount codes available, such as during the tour for example?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Daniel B wrote:
    So I popped into work yesterday and eagerly picked up the Pactimo shorts - even through the packaging they felt like good quality, not quite sure how that works, but they did!

Took them out the packet this morning, and they look and feel lovely to the touch - I went for a Small, and it was perhaps a touch snug around the leg grippers, but perfectly acceptable, however, I was properly dissapointed when I pulled up the bibs, and they were too loose for me, as in when I am stood upright there is spare material on them, and from seeing their video, I realise these bibs are a tailored curved cut, so should perhaps even feel a bit tight when stood up, but then perfect on the bike.
    When I put myself into the riding position it of course made it worse :cry:

I do have a short upper body, but can normally get around this by just going for a slightly smaller size than might be ideal, ie my Mavic and Castelli bibs are all small, medium in Santini and Etxeondo - but as the straps were so far out on these, very sadly it seems that they are not for people with short torsos.

Unreasonably dissappointed not to be able to wear these today as was really looking forward to hopefulyl finding bib nirvana!

In reality I think my Etxeondo's are enough for me, but was curious to see what all the fuss was about.

I will ask the question of them if they have considered making one with shorter straps, but I expect a design is a design, and they won't have that level of flexibility.

If it is just the length of the straps, rather than the cut of the shorts, that is a problem then would it be easy to remedy by sewing them shorter and cutting off the excess? Bit of a faff, I know, but if you otherwise like the shorts it may be better than the expense of returning them and buying something else that might not be so good in other ways.
  • Anonymous
    Daniel B wrote:
    coriordan wrote:

In light of my Pactimo excursion not working out, do you happen to know if La Passione ever have promotions\discount codes available, such as during the tour for example?

Really don't know, sorry. At the price, its definitely worth a punt given what other top-end shorts cost. I am running out of excuses not to get a pair.
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    coriordan wrote:

So the Summer Bib shorts Passione are similar to the Pro Team? And I agree, really running out of reasons not to buy, especially when it's pay day tomorrow...
  • turbo1191
    turbo1191 Posts: 501
    I'm having a look on the assos site.. could someone tell me the difference between the mille and the uno?
  • Anonymous
    Bluemoon17 wrote:
    coriordan wrote:

So the Summer Bib shorts Passione are similar to the Pro Team? And I agree, really running out of reasons not to buy, especially when it's pay day tomorrow...

At a wild guess I would say the summer range currently on offer mirrors the Rapha Classic Lightweight stuff.
  • daniel_b
    Just noticed they (La Passione) will only accept purchases in EUR, so with my Visa CC (As they reduce the exchange rate by 2.99%) it ends up at £88 - assuming something like paypal would be even worse.

Any recommendations on good CC's out there for better rates and no fees etc?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Anonymous
    nationwide visa or a pre-loaded one?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Daniel B wrote:
    Just noticed they (La Passione) will only accept purchases in EUR, so with my Visa CC (As they reduce the exchange rate by 2.99%) it ends up at £88 - assuming something like paypal would be even worse.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel ... avel-money

I have a Post Office Credit card. They used to let me preload it with a credit balance and also use it without charges at ATMs overseas too, as long as it didnt go into debit. They more or less stopped this now, but they still have no charges on purchases and I think use the best rates.
  • daniel_b
    coriordan wrote:
    nationwide visa or a pre-loaded one?

It's a normal credit card, this one through First Direct.
    apreading wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel ... avel-money

I have a Post Office Credit card. They used to let me preload it with a credit balance and also use it without charges at ATMs overseas too, as long as it didnt go into debit. They more or less stopped this now, but they still have no charges on purchases and I think use the best rates.

Cheers ap, I'll take a read of that later.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Halifax Clarity card charges no commission. I use it regularly when abroad.
  • defycomp2
    defycomp2 Posts: 252
    Have a look at Chapeau (chapeau.cc). These are my best bibs, I have the Pave and Repel both with the green pad and they are my go to bibs for longer rides. At present they seem to be having a sale as they are down at £60 for the Pave.
    Summer - Giant Defy Composite 2 (Force 22) (retd)
    Cannondale Synapse Sram Red ETap
    Winter - Boardman CX Team (Rival X1 Hyd)
  • daniel_b
    apreading wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

If it is just the length of the straps, rather than the cut of the shorts, that is a problem then would it be easy to remedy by sewing them shorter and cutting off the excess? Bit of a faff, I know, but if you otherwise like the shorts it may be better than the expense of returning them and buying something else that might not be so good in other ways.

I tried this once with some Shimano bibs and it never really worked, I think I would need to be a whiz with a sewing machine for it to have any chance, and what are the odds that the stitching ends up being a literal irritation?

Am hoping either the Chapeau range or La Passione will prove to be a better sizing for my weird proportions.
    DefyComp2 wrote:
    Have a look at Chapeau (chapeau.cc). These are my best bibs, I have the Pave and Repel both with the green pad and they are my go to bibs for longer rides. At present they seem to be having a sale as they are down at £60 for the Pave.

Thanks DC, looks like they are usually £120, strange they are not showing as 50% off but there we go.
    Also noticed they have free returns which is a real boon, so have ordered two pairs of the green pad in small to see what they are like.
    Still intrigued by the La Passione stuff though, just need to sort out a suitable card for the purchase, and other Euro shenanigans.
    Alex222 wrote:
    Halifax Clarity card charges no commission. I use it regularly when abroad.
    Liking the look of this one, just applied successfully for one, so should have it next week :-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Since my first post I've bought two pairs of bibs. Rapha Classics £160 and DHB Aeron Pro Cycling Bib Short around £60.

I plan to use the DHB for shorter rides and the Rapha ones for longer/Club Runs.

Earlier days yet, but.....

DHB...
    I've previously bought DHB and always found them great value and this pair is same. The pad is good and and fits well. Plus, really good leg grippers, nice comfortable fit and good quality. I'm 6ft around 12 1/2 stone and the L is spot on. On previous experience DHB will last a reasonable period of time.

Rapha...
    First pair of high end bibs I've bought and at first looks they are spot on. You can see/feel the difference in the pad. Seated on the bike you can really tell the difference in the pad and the comfort it offers. The lyrca is extremely soft/silky to the touch (makes the DHB feel rough). Size wise I fall between M/L, I bought large and they are spot on. Personally, I don't like lot of brash logo's that you get on cycle clothing so I went for the pure black option with black logo. Very discrete. As you would expect the bibs are very well made and you can read the technical details on the Rapha site.

This year I'm on for riding 4000 miles so it will be interesting to see how both pairs fair.
  • bomster
    bomster Posts: 202
    Since my first post I've bought tw........

Great post mate.

On another note - would love to hear some reviews/feedback of the La Passione bibs - not much online, but they are very nike looking and if they are basically Rapha's then good value too!
  • bluemoon17
    bomster wrote:

Great post mate.

On another note - would love to hear some reviews/feedback of the La Passione bibs - not much online, but they are very nike looking and if they are basically Rapha's then good value too!

Yup, same! Almost clicked buy on a pair the other day but decided to hold off and hope for some reviews.
  • daniel_b
    bomster wrote:

I'm not sure anyone on here actually owns a pair - but agreed, the reviews are rather on the scarce side :?

Once my Halifax card arrives I will get a pair ordered, so might have a pair by next weekend.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • bluemoon17
    Daniel B wrote:
    bomster wrote:

I'm not sure anyone on here actually owns a pair - but agreed, the reviews are rather on the scarce side :?

Once my Halifax card arrives I will get a pair ordered, so might have a pair by next weekend.

Knew we could rely on you! Anybody got any other prospective purchases they want Daniel B to buy and review first?!
  • bomster
    bomster Posts: 202
    Daniel B wrote:
    bomster wrote:

Top man - keep us posted :).
  • Anonymous
    Code LP15 at checkout gives you 15% off as well.
  • daniel_b
    coriordan wrote:
    Code LP15 at checkout gives you 15% off as well.

Nice, just hope my card turns up soon, and that the code stays active!

So the Chapeau's have arrived, and initial impressions are very good.

Quality looks good, and the pad feels not that thick, but quite dense, which I think is the type of pad that works best for me.
    I went for small, and the straps are a very good tension, not too tight, but just about spot on, and it feels comfy.
    Leg grippers are a tiny bit tight, but due to my torso not being that long in comparison to my height I usually have this minor issue, and this is my solution.
    The only pairs that seem to be fine are the Etxeondo Orhi's - the legs fit fine as do the straps.

So what I think I will do is wait until I can lay my hands on some La Passione shorts - which should 'only' work out at £70 with Coriordan's code, and decide then which make to keep/try.

I was hoping my card would arrive today - t's & c's arrived on Saturday, and my internet banking bit arrived today, but still no card!

Coriordan - I saw what you said re-sizing on another thread, but despite your mate being only an inch taller than me and the same weight (probably), I am still thinking small will probably be better for me due to my short torso height.

EDIT: In another development, I have now located some very high end bibs that retail for over £200 - I'm going to try a pair, and if I like them I have found a place selling them for half their alleged RRP, which makes them no more expensive than some of the Assos bibs out there - I will update once i have laid my hands on them, and placed or not placed an order.
    Still no credit card!!!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited May 2015
    Duplicate
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Well having read this thread, I have just taken the plunge and ordered a pair of La Passione summer bibs.

The LP15 code worked, which is great, although the 15% off took the purchase below the €100 mark, so incurred a €10 postage fee, but it still makes the whle purchase a few quid cheaper, so hey ho!

The deal breaker was their ethical/sustainabilty policy:

"The study and design of each product is personally checked by the founders of La Passione, with particular attention to the criteria of environmental sustainability, craftsmanship, environment responsibility, material’s production location and tracking from the origin. We love to offer our consumers transparency and honesty to allow an ethical purchase. We demand a higher standard not just in materials, but also in labor practices and conditions. We carefully screen our suppliers, laundries, and factories to ensure our products are fairly manufactured and 100% sweatshop-free."

...which is nice. :)
  • daniel_b
    Well having read this thread, I have just taken the plunge and ordered a pair of La Passione summer bibs.

The LP15 code worked, which is great, although the 15% off took the purchase below the €100 mark, so incurred a €10 postage fee, but it still makes the whle purchase a few quid cheaper, so hey ho!

"The study and design of each product is personally checked by the founders of La Passione, with particular attention to the criteria of environmental sustainability, craftsmanship, environment responsibility, material’s production location and tracking from the origin. We love to offer our consumers transparency and honesty to allow an ethical purchase. We demand a higher standard not just in materials, but also in labor practices and conditions. We carefully screen our suppliers, laundries, and factories to ensure our products are fairly manufactured and 100% sweatshop-free."

Nice one, looks like we will have our first review on this thread :D
    Hopefully you will have it early next week, looking forward to hearing about it.
    Did you go for the Classic ones?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Daniel B wrote:

Nice one, looks like we will have our first review on this thread :D
    Hopefully you will have it early next week, looking forward to hearing about it.
    Did you go for the Classic ones?

Yup, Rule #14 - Shorts should be black. But seriously, plain black goes with everything, right?

Expected delivery next tuesday, and with me being off work next week and the good weather kicking in at the end of next week (allegedly), then hopefully I'll get to try them out on a lengthy run-out.
  • daniel_b
    Yup, Rule #14 - Shorts should be black. But seriously, plain black goes with everything, right?

Expected delivery next tuesday, and with me being off work next week and the good weather kicking in at the end of next week (allegedly), then hopefully I'll get to try them out on a lengthy run-out.

Well I have some black and yellow ones, but I understand I have exemption from the above rule.

It's only the black ones from LP that appeal to me anyway.

I eagerly await, as I am sure do several people on this thread, your review!
    I just checked, and it would seem I will not have my CC until Monday or Tuesday next week, so will probably hold off ordering until you come back with your opinion.
    If you do not mind me asking, what size did you go for, and what kind of height/weight etc?
    My sizing issue is my short upperbody, hence why I generally need to go for a smaller size than I might otherwise do so - twiglet legs help me get away with it though.
    I am 5ft 10\34" inside leg\72kg\33" waist\38" chest\Favourite colour is yellow

EDIT: Ok scrap that, my card just came through the door, so a pair of classics have been ordered!
    Still think you will be first with a proper review, as my first long ride will not be til the weekend after - assuming they fit of course.....
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18