Top end Bib shorts

Comments

• errorist
    errorist Posts: 169
    Thought I'd add my feedback the thread as I've just bought some La Passione shorts.

In short, they are an excellent fit, nicely detailed and v comfortable. Also came delivered in a nice cotton musette.

Will definitely be ordering more from them.
  • gaffer_slow
    gaffer_slow Posts: 417
    ooo. La Passione with LP15 code in tempting.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Errorist wrote:
    Thought I'd add my feedback the thread as I've just bought some La Passione shorts.

In short, they are an excellent fit, nicely detailed and v comfortable. Also came delivered in a nice cotton musette.

Will definitely be ordering more from them.

thanks for this Errorist - certainly takes the pressure off me for the first review! I might get one of those Flamme Rouge jerseys in the sale as well, although I have more than enough jerseys so not suure I can justify it atm.

I went for xs, given their very detailed sizing guide, I'm 5.7, a 28 waist (Favourite colour red, love long walks in the country...). I could have gone for S but I risked the smaller size as I don't want them gaping around the waist.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    By all means call me a dumbass here, but although I knew they were made in Italy I did not realise they were based entirely out of Italy.

The way the website was created, I assumed it was a British company for some reason.

I'm imagining that makes returns somewhat more expensive.

LL, I expect XS will be spot on for you, we can compare and contrast opinions next week.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    Just ordered some as well, got the ones with the red, white and blue bands around the legs. Just couldn't resist with that 15% off code. Expected delivery is on Tuesday so will hopefully get out on a long ride towards the end of the week and post up my thoughts.
  • bomster
    bomster Posts: 202
    Very close to ordering some of the La Passione Summer bibs.

Just thought I'd have a bit of a reality check first - do you think I will notice the upgrade from my dhb Trace bib shorts (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-trace-bib-s ... 5360436798) which cost me £27?
  • bomster
    bomster Posts: 202
    Errorist wrote:
    In short, they are ...

See what you did there ;).
  • daniel_b
    bomster wrote:
    Very close to ordering some of the La Passione Summer bibs.

Just thought I'd have a bit of a reality check first - do you think I will notice the upgrade from my dhb Trace bib shorts (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-trace-bib-s ... 5360436798) which cost me £27?

It's a very personal thing, but I ordered the trace short and sent it back, as I felt the pad and material were inferior to the planet x bibs I managed to pick up for £17.50.

If these LP bibs are approaching the undoubted quality of Rapha for half the price, and if the pad is as good as reputed, then in my opinion they will seem worlds apart from the trace shorts.

And just to mention, I generally like dhb gear, have two pairs of roubaix 3/4 bibs which are great, and a ls winter jersey which is top drawer, I just didn't get on with the trace shorts.

How and where are the rest of you seeing an expected delivery date, I can't see one.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    LP say 2-3 business days if you look at their FAQs
  • Spatulala
    Spatulala Posts: 291
    Anyone had any experience of the top end Sugoi bibs? That flash sale site Sport Pursuit have the RSE ones for £50 at the mo.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Spatulala wrote:
    Anyone had any experience of the top end Sugoi bibs? That flash sale site Sport Pursuit have the RSE ones for £50 at the mo.

Not sure what they're called but I bought a pair of their £100 ones for half price a few months back...and have not been impressed to be honest, even for the price I paid (£50). No better than any other mid range ones I have despite the great review I read
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I swear by santini edge - £85 from Prendas. Pro level gel pad, very very comfy.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • kayodot
    kayodot Posts: 143
    t4tomo wrote:

I want to buy these, although I have to seriously question the ability of a designer who thought a white chamois would be a good idea?
  • Teeks
    Teeks Posts: 3
    Spatulala wrote:
    Best bibs I've worn. I also have Castelli and Assos in the wardrobe but the RSE are definitely the most comfortable and they're my go to pair for longer rides, especially when it's warm.

As soon as I saw the SP deal I ordered 2 pairs.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    kayodot wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:

I want to buy these, although I have to seriously question the ability of a designer who thought a white chamois would be a good idea?
    Admittedly not his finest hour, but every other aspect is spot on.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • daniel_b
    coriordan wrote:

Anyone had their LP's despatched yet?

Mine are still sat at unfulfilled.

Aware I am being impatient.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Daniel B wrote:
    coriordan wrote:

Anyone had their LP's despatched yet?

Mine are still sat at unfulfilled.

Aware I am being impatient.

Your impatient. I'm expecting 3D printing by this time next year.

Seriously though, I am hovering over the buy button based on this.
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    edited June 2015
    Hi All,

Are £100+ bib shorts worth the money?

So far I've always bought DHB at around £70 a pair, but as I've increased by ride frequency and length of ride I've been looking at higher price bibs. I looked at a pair of Rapha Classics but stop short of buying them as the don't seem that much better than mid range bibs. I suppose you only really know after a long ride and can't really tell stood in a shop.

I was really happy when I bought a Gore winter soft shell and rain jacket as you can really feel the difference when compared to mid range products.

I don't mind spending the money, just want to make sure my money is being well spent!

With premium bibshorts, look out for:

1. Anatomic cut – are the shorts already pre-shaped for the cycling position, when viewed from the side on a hanger?

2. Is the insert/pad good quality?

3. Is the short material of good quality? i.e. does it feel substantial, and not wear thin after a few months?

4. Has careful consideration been given to not only where, but how the insert pad is stitched in? This is the most important aspect of comfort. The pad needs to sit perfectly between you and the saddle. Also, really premium shorts have the pad stitched so that it's 'folded upwards' when the short is on a hanger. It looks wrong, but once you wear the short, the pad is then positioned in exactly the right way, giving less movement when you're cycling.
  • daniel_b
    I have noticed the LP ones have ended up costing me £138.43 (Via the Halifax Clarity card) for two pairs posted, so that is about £69.22 a pair, which is pretty good if they are in the region of £150 Raphas quality wise - unless they don't fit, and then I have to pay to send them back to Italy with suitable insurance :shock:
    Really hoping they do fit, but am prepared for that not to be the case :(

My other bib shorts I mentioned have also now despatched via Bikeinn - I was thinking to myself how much I love my Etxeondo Orhi bib shorts, and the fit is so good, so decided to see if they have an elevated model, and came across the Attaque.
    image1371a.jpg

Review here: http://road.cc/content/review/56520-etxeondo-attaque-bib-short
    It would seem the original retail was £230, but now according to BikeInn the retail for that short is circa £170, but even so, I managed to bag a pair for £105 + postage, but am just hoping the description of 'Black' means it does not have the red leg gripper as per the image - not a show stopper, but would prefer it with out, all black or black and yellow for me :D

I think this is an older model (The Merlin site states it was discontinued in November last year), as there is now an Attaque Gor, but the cheapest I can find that for is around £170!
    £105 I can stomach, especially if it gives ultimate comfort for century rides.
    And for anyone on here who loves the Orhi's, and I know there are a few, this might be worth a consideration.
    I think as these fit me so well, it suggests to me that the Etxeondo dimensions favour people with a shorter torso and longer legs, but having said that I think the straps are stretchy enough to accommodate a wide variety of dimensions.

I have also decided that the Chapeau's whilst very nice, are just a bit too snug around the thigh, so those will be going back via free post later this week.

@LakesLuddite - any sign of yours having been despatched?
    Mine is stall sat resolutely, as of 2nd June at unfulfilled - not convinced I will have them by the weekend at this rate.
    Looks like BikeInn (Spain) may well end up beating La Passione (Italy) :shock:

EDIT: Mystery solved!
    Today and yesterday were public holidays in Italy, so mine will not be going out until tomorrow, suspect anyone else's whose were sent would have also been delayed, as imagine the whole country grinds to a halt....
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    Pactimo shorts have arrived back at Pactimo and refund confirmed, which is good news.

My LP's are on the way, anyone else got theirs?
    Doubt they will be here for the weekend, or maybe.....
    My Etxeondo's from Spain are currently having a nice day out in Belgium.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Anonymous
    Was out after work with some friends who have the LP shorts and tops.

Look v comfy, pad is exactly like the rapha one from what I could tell. As these are the summer ones, they do seem a bit thinner so lightweight, as I had previously guessed.

Tops are also quite thin, with mesh down the sides (under arms) so definitely for warmer days.
  • llen
    llen Posts: 65
    Pulled the trigger on the LP summer bibs on Sunday and have just used the online live chat to confirm order and delivery, etc. Apparently today is the 1st working day after the republican bank holiday and my order is being despatched today and will arrive in 2 days.

If the shorts are half as good as the customer experience and help I've had so far then they will be worth every penny.
  • daniel_b
    coriordan wrote:
    Look v comfy, pad is exactly like the rapha one from what I could tell. As these are the summer ones, they do seem a bit thinner so lightweight, as I had previously guessed.

Sounds good - they don't appear to do a heavier weight garment though do they?
    Or do you think the slightly more pricey 'Square' ones are thicker material?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Anonymous
    Can only ask them, but I think they sold them all in the end of seasons sale. It seems that all the ones for sale on their website are the summer ones. The ones I saw yesterday were the navy with red/white grippers
  • daniel_b
    coriordan wrote:
    Can only ask them, but I think they sold them all in the end of seasons sale. It seems that all the ones for sale on their website are the summer ones. The ones I saw yesterday were the navy with red/white grippers

Yep good call, having never visited their site before I assumed incorrectly that was all they stocked - maybe some new products popping up soon in that case.
    Did you happen to notice when the end of season sale was?
    Could be handy to take a look next time it comes around.

Assuming they fit me of course - will have to wait and see.
    One good thing is I know the Etxeondo Attaque bibs will fit perfectly 8)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    Daniel B wrote:
    One good thing is I know the Etxeondo Attaque bibs will fit perfectly 8)

They'll also have a red leg band. I have the same ones you've ordered. They're OK, but for a supposedly top-end pair of shorts they're not a patch on Rapha's Pro Team bibs.
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    Ok, my La Passione bibs arrived yesterday evening and I've just been out for a 60km spin in the sun with them.

First impressions, they come packaged in a cool little musette and a very Rapha-esque sealed bag. When you slide them out you can instantly tell that they are a high quality product, they have that premium feel to them. The pad also feels great in your hands, I could instantly tell that it was a serious upgrade compared to my Endura FS260-Pro which are my go-to bibs at the moment.

When trying them on for the first time, they have that familiar uncomfortably tight feeling that all pro cut clothing has. Standing up and wandering around the house a little bit, the straps are pulling you down into a slightly hunched position, the material around the crotch area is seriously tight, slightly restrictive even. And the leg grippers grip. Hmm. I was a bit apprehensive about the fit as they are substantially different to the bibs I currently own.

On to the ride today, I put them on and decided to go for it and ripped the tag off and out I went. Wow, instantly different on the bike. No awkward readjustment of the pad after a couple of miles, no fiddling with the straps, no rearranging whilst stationary at traffic lights. Absolutely spot on. The fit is great, the cut is perfect, and the pad, the pad! It didn't move a millimetre throughout the ride, and I finished the ride feeling as though I'd just started in terms of downstairs comfort.

Not only do they perform well, but they look great too. I bought the ones with the red, white and blue bands around the grippers (they match my club kit, couldn't resist!), and for less than £80 you'll be hard pressed to find anything better for the price.

My stats:
    5'10
    66kg
    36' chest
    30' waist
    Bought a size Small
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    sounds good, getting tempted to get myself a pair after following this thread!
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    Bluemoon17 wrote:
    Ok, my La Passione bibs arrived yesterday evening and I've just been out for a 60km spin in the sun with them.

First impressions, they come packaged in a cool little musette and a very Rapha-esque sealed bag. When you slide them out you can instantly tell that they are a high quality product, they have that premium feel to them. The pad also feels great in your hands, I could instantly tell that it was a serious upgrade compared to my Endura FS260-Pro which are my go-to bibs at the moment.

When trying them on for the first time, they have that familiar uncomfortably tight feeling that all pro cut clothing has. Standing up and wandering around the house a little bit, the straps are pulling you down into a slightly hunched position, the material around the crotch area is seriously tight, slightly restrictive even. And the leg grippers grip. Hmm. I was a bit apprehensive about the fit as they are substantially different to the bibs I currently own.

On to the ride today, I put them on and decided to go for it and ripped the tag off and out I went. Wow, instantly different on the bike. No awkward readjustment of the pad after a couple of miles, no fiddling with the straps, no rearranging whilst stationary at traffic lights. Absolutely spot on. The fit is great, the cut is perfect, and the pad, the pad! It didn't move a millimetre throughout the ride, and I finished the ride feeling as though I'd just started in terms of downstairs comfort.

Not only do they perform well, but they look great too. I bought the ones with the red, white and blue bands around the grippers (they match my club kit, couldn't resist!), and for less than £80 you'll be hard pressed to find anything better for the price.

My stats:
    5'10
    66kg
    36' chest
    30' waist
    Bought a size Small

This is the sign of a good anatomic cut. Bibshorts shouldn't feel comfortable off the bike!
  • daniel_b
    Attaque shorts arrived today, LP's not due til Tuesday sadly.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18