Top end Bib shorts

14567810»

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,583
    Normally Medium in Castelli, and I went for Small, and they're tight, but a good fit.

Interesting, as that mirrors by fit situation - I can squeeze into a small in Castelli, and am able to fit in an *XS in Rapha.

*If they split horribly while I am in Spain then clearly not.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    So in sunny Spain, I have now had the chance to compare the lightweight Rapha bibshorts with the LP Classic shorts.

From the off, and just going by feel of the fabric, to me the Rapha feels slightly higher quality, not much but a bit, and as someone mentioned already, the Rapha's seem a lot more lightweight than the LP's - this is apparent if you try and fold them up, the Rapha's compress down to a much smaller size.
    Having said that, I am not sure LP market the classics or other shorts as lightweight summer shorts?
    So not a complaint in anyway, merely an observation.

They had their first 3 hour ride today (I went for XS versus S in LP) and they were completely comfortable, even though the straps were tight I did not know they were there throughout the ride - temp varied from 17c to probably mid 20's.

So overall, in my opinion, the Rapha's were a better buy for ME at £81 (I would not pay the RRP of £155 I think it was) but pound for pound if you can pick the LP's up at £60 or less, they are still a superb short, and I have no regret about buying my pairs at all.

Having said that, I am delighted I managed to land 2 pairs of the Rapha's in the sale, and am impressed enough to be keeping an eye out for future sales.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • andy81
    andy81 Posts: 118
    Some further thoughts on the LP shorts. I bought 2 pairs back in August, and took them with me on holiday. They are extremely comfy, though I note the previous point made regarding the rub against the saddle causing some abrasion to the material. Not a huge problem for me, as my saddle is a smooth one, so the impact is limited.

The real disappointment however is that on trying on the second pair, I found that the stitching on the front of the left leg had come away, leaving a hole on the seam. LP were extremely swift to respond, asking me to return the bibs and email a scan of my postage receipt for a refund. All very impressive. However, the shirts arrived back with them on 8 September, and despite 2 chaser emails since, I have heard absolutely nothing in terms of either a refund or replacement. This is seriously making me consider whether I'd ever buy from them again.
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    Pactimo was mentioned earlier in the thread, just to add I bought a set of the Raptor and the Summit Pro bibs from them both on offer earlier in the year. The Raptors were about £80 and the Summit pro's I got for £50, both use the same pad and whilst the Raptors fabric is more hi-tech than the Summits they are both really amazing bib shorts, very comfy and well made so I'd recommend this company. I've also bought a cap, ls and ss jersey as well as a Cascade jacket from them and it's all top quality.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Pactimo was mentioned earlier in the thread, just to add I bought a set of the Raptor and the Summit Pro bibs from them both on offer earlier in the year. The Raptors were about £80 and the Summit pro's I got for £50, both use the same pad and whilst the Raptors fabric is more hi-tech than the Summits they are both really amazing bib shorts, very comfy and well made so I'd recommend this company. I've also bought a cap, ls and ss jersey as well as a Cascade jacket from them and it's all top quality.
    Own pretty much all the same items, plus others, and have to agree. I'm a bit of a fan boy for Pactimo. First bought the cascade jacket at the London bike show and keep going back to buy more items. Always on sale or with discount codes though.
  • Anybody tried the La Passione thermal bib shorts yet?

After some thicker bib shorts to wear with leg warmers now that the weather has turned a little on the cold side.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,041
    Got some Lidl bibs this summer that cost 6 euros. Pad isn't too bad and they are ok to around the 100km point (alpine cycling). After that something with a bit more padding would be nice.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • My experience is beginning to resemble Andy81's.I did not like the small and thin pad on the La Passione Winter Tights and returned them for refund.Supposed to take a week to refund,but well past that already and my contact there ignored today's email.

Luckily paid by Paypal so will open a case there next week and see what that brings.
  • Old thread but had a similar issue with LP recently, gear looks good, pad is fine (made by cytech) but I'm with devonboy and andy81.. over time your realize 'you get what you pay for'. Not worth the saving.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Disagree. Mine have been faultless. Not a thread unstitched nor any discomfort
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I too disagree - I have had more problems with bad stitching on Castelli kit than any other - so much so that I check anything new over intricately before (and I after) I wear it for the first time. They have actually been pretty good lately but my first pair of Free Aero bibshorts I think it took me 4 pairs before I got a decent one. The first the stitching around the pad was coming undone after 2-3 rides, swapped them for another and the stitching was bad on them plus the leg gripper wasnt cut with the castelli name in the same vertical position on both legs, the third pair hadd the leg gripper on one side upside down with the castelli name upside down...!
  • andy81
    andy81 Posts: 118
    As an update, the shorts were replaced and refund for postage received, though the refund did take several weeks and lots of chasing (most emails were not replied to). The shorts are very good (the nicest I have used) but the customer service experienced would lead me to look elsewhere in future.
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    It's a shame to hear about their returns service. I was going to buy one of their jerseys this summer but always need to try a M and L on. Sounds like more hassle than it's worth unless they improve on things.
  • I've been following this thread since the beginning, and was sorely tempted to go with the LP bibshorts, the reputed quality of the pad being the biggest draw for me By the time I'd decided to hit the button, medium were out of stock so I ended up with a pair of Assos bib shorts instead. So come Autumn I was up for a pair of bibtights, but saw the comments about the LP bibtights and ended up buying my bibtights from:

http://galibier.cc/

Which on relfection, was the obvious choice for my bib shorts back in the summer. I have one of their skinsuits and the pad is as good as my Assos. Other than a 40 mile test ride when new my skinsuit only comes out for track league and the occasional TT so it did not occur to me until I pulled on my skinsuit back in November.

So if your looking for a UK cycling kit provider, providing good value kit give them a try.
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • daniel_b
    I've been following this thread since the beginning, and was sorely tempted to go with the LP bibshorts, the reputed quality of the pad being the biggest draw for me By the time I'd decided to hit the button, medium were out of stock so I ended up with a pair of Assos bib shorts instead. So come Autumn I was up for a pair of bibtights, but saw the comments about the LP bibtights and ended up buying my bibtights from:

http://galibier.cc/

Which on relfection, was the obvious choice for my bib shorts back in the summer. I have one of their skinsuits and the pad is as good as my Assos. Other than a 40 mile test ride when new my skinsuit only comes out for track league and the occasional TT so it did not occur to me until I pulled on my skinsuit back in November.

So if your looking for a UK cycling kit provider, providing good value kit give them a try.

Hi Colin, I can only see one pair of £48 shorts - or are there more models at different times of year?
    If not, in your opinion are those shorts as good as the Assos offering?
    Good enough for 5 hour rides?

EDIT: Have just ordered the 'members pack' as it says it comes with some discount codes, so thought it might pay for itself - do like the look of the leather gloves, admittedly probably not for on the bike.
    Their Merino base layers look pretty nice too.
    Not overly taken by the look of the rest of their kit though I have to say - I appreciate something can be amazing without looking amazing, but I have to like the look of something to want to wear it - base layers excluded.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Not sure about galiber as I never tried it, but sorry I really do not like any of their stuff (look wise). I don't mind paying a bit more (reasonably) and be 100% happy with what I wear! I know CdCycliste is pretty good. Maap looks great but quite steep I have been keeping an eye on the belgianboysclub bib shorts. Love them. Has anyone tried these???
  • Hi Colin, I can only see one pair of £48 shorts - or are there more models at different times of year?
    If not, in your opinion are those shorts as good as the Assos offering?
    Good enough for 5 hour rides?

EDIT: Have just ordered the 'members pack' as it says it comes with some discount codes, so thought it might pay for itself - do like the look of the leather gloves, admittedly probably not for on the bike.
    Their Merino base layers look pretty nice too.
    Not overly taken by the look of the rest of their kit though I have to say - I appreciate something can be amazing without looking amazing, but I have to like the look of something to want to wear it - base layers excluded.[/quote]

RE: shorts, no I don't think so. Are they as good as Assos, no, but then they're less than half the cost and you get out for nowt. Good enough for five hour rides? I'd be happy to wear these for at 5 hour ride but fatigue comes in to the equation and what I can sustain may not be the same as you. You could be a lot fitter than me.

Like you I was not overly taken by the look of their kit and this is a hindrance. But one thing I forgot to mention in my original post is their repair service policy:

Galibier offers a free repair service where a crash or accident has damaged a garment, or a failure has occurred even after significant usage. We are not magicians, so cannot repair end of life products or socks, but we do wish to get your full wear out of your investment and support the rider in the event of an accident.
    We aim to have the garment back to you within 2 weeks after receiving the returned items.

And that trumps looks.
    Live to ski
    Ski to live