BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,147
    edited June 2023

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Supply and demand sets the rental price. Interest rates set the property price based on the rental price. This is the basics of all property finance. Residential varies a bit, because people like to own homes.

We seem to be ignoring the policies of deliberately restricting the supply of property. The government has literally been recently campaigning on how few homes will be built.
    Restricting supply affects the rental price and therefore the property price. As I said, the residential market is not that efficient, but this the basics of all property finance.
    I know, I'm suggesting this is a deliberate restriction to keep rents high.
    Yes, of course, you actually work relatively close to the subject. If you get yourself a Twitter account you could be considered an expert.
    🤣

Keeping rents high, not to mention a pretty substantial transfer of wealth to landlords through furlough payments, is hardly doing everything you can to reduce inflation.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,229
    Stevo_666 said:

To be clear, I was referring to the "stubborn, higher than the rest of the developed world" bit of UK inflation.

You said:
    "UK has an inflation problem.

I dare anyone to come up with a credible case that it isn’t Brexit related."

We answered.

Just surprised that you came up with such an easy dare.
    With a graph showing it in relation to other countries where the rate was lower and dropping faster.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,768
    edited June 2023
    pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

To be clear, I was referring to the "stubborn, higher than the rest of the developed world" bit of UK inflation.

You said:

We answered.

Pretty clear he meant vs other countries.
    No. He didn't say that. If he meant it I'm sure he would have said it.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross
    Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

You said:

We answered.

The title on the graph he attached clearly stated it in the heading
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,684

"A less competitive market" because of Brexit - it's the Tory way now, it seems.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Brexit has made recruitment harder eh?
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

You said:

We answered.

Funny how you're trying to argue this and not Rick.

W&G and I answered the question in front of us.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,684

Brexit has made recruitment harder eh?

Whodathunkit?
  • Just to sound like former PM Mrs May, to be absolutely clear, I've never said Brexit has no impact on inflation. I was asked to provide non-Brexit factors, which is what I did.

Reading the ONS inflation report, it highlights that fuel and food are no heading in the right direction re inflation, with the "stickiness" now coming from services inflation. I think holidays and second hand cars were highlighted specifically. Such services are likely to be more susceptible to reduced demand in response to higher interest rates, as they are more discretionary in nature than eating and heating.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,816
    edited June 2023
    So if you consider the question in relation to the chart that was posted, how does the answer change? What are the non-Brexit related reasons for Britain having higher inflation and it not (yet) falling?

(Consider this a brand new question if it stops you arguing that wasn't the question asked that you have already answered.)
  • Stevo_666
  • kingstongraham
    This is a different EU to the one where individual countries have no control over its direction?
  • Pross
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

You said:

We answered.

I'm as critical as most of Rick's posting style but felt it was pretty obvious the question he was asking related to the graph he'd included in the post.
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

You said:

We answered.

I'm as critical as most of Rick's posting style but felt it was pretty obvious the question he was asking related to the graph he'd included in the post.
    Funny how both W&G and I made the same alleged error. Question should have been clearer - simple.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

You said:

We answered.

Funny how both W&G and I made the same alleged error. Question should have been clearer - simple.
    What error have I made? I find the mere suggestion outrageous! ;)
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,595

So if you consider the question in relation to the chart that was posted, how does the answer change? What are the non-Brexit related reasons for Britain having higher inflation and it not (yet) falling?

(Consider this a brand new question if it stops you arguing that wasn't the question asked that you have already answered.)

Is slightly lower inflation and a recession (such as Germany) better? Should I infer Brexit has resulted in better growth or is Brexit the answer only when the question is negative?
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

You said:

We answered.

What error have I made? I find the mere suggestion outrageous! ;)
    I did say 'alleged'. We answered Ricks question as we saw it: a couple of people on here seem to think its important that we should have known it was a different question from the one that Rick actually wrote and answered accordingly.

Hey ho :smile:
  • Stevo_666

Is slightly lower inflation and a recession (such as Germany) better? Should I infer Brexit has resulted in better growth or is Brexit the answer only when the question is negative?
    :D
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Stevo_666 said:
    I had never considered Brexit to be a right wing thing, I thought the strongest Brexit voting areas were Labour strongholds?
  • wallace_and_gromit
    wallace_and_gromit Posts: 3,398
    edited June 2023

Joking aside, those at the very ardent end of the opposed to Brexit scale do seemingly "blow with the wind" somewhat. When UK inflation was broadly the same as US and EU inflation, the focus was on (forecast) growth rates where the UK didn't fare so well for 2023. Now UK growth is not obviously worse than EU growth and forecasts for 2023 are less grim for the UK, the focus is on inflation.

And I'm guessing that if UK inflation trends back to being materially the same as EU inflation then attention will turn to passport queues!
  • kingstongraham

Is a question.

And we're still heading for recession aren't we?
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo_666 said:

:D
    Not trying to answer?
  • So if you consider the question in relation to the chart that was posted, how does the answer change? What are the non-Brexit related reasons for Britain having higher inflation and it not (yet) falling?

Is a question.

A recession in the UK has been widely predicted since around this time last year.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,595

Is a question.

Not sure with the recent news.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,021

Is a question.

A recession in the UK has been widely predicted since around this time last year.
    I think -0.5% or +0.5% makes zero difference in the real world.
    Makes for headlines though.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Given Germany is geopolitically much more exposed to the Ukranian war as it relates to inflation, it should be way higher than the UK, all other thing being equal.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,412

Is a question.

Not sure that's true. Most commentary I've heard was that the UK was expected to avoid recession, US was expected to have recession.
    I suspect that may now change with inflation proving so sticky and the BoE panicking.
  • So if you consider the question in relation to the chart that was posted, how does the answer change? What are the non-Brexit related reasons for Britain having higher inflation and it not (yet) falling?

Is a question.

Not sure that's true. Most commentary I've heard was that the UK was expected to avoid recession, US was expected to have recession.
    I suspect that may now change with inflation proving so sticky and the BoE panicking.
    Fair point. I may read the Guardian and IMF forecasts too much!

Given Germany is geopolitically much more exposed to the Ukranian war as it relates to inflation, it should be way higher than the UK, all other thing being equal.
    I think the issue for Germany was availability of gas as they were heavily dependent on Russia for gas. (Reduced factor usage as a result may have fed into their recent poor GDP performance.) The UK was more diversified in terms of gas supplies, but still relies more on gas for electricity than Germany, so was more affected by gas prices, which are determined by wholesale markets.
  • kingstongraham
    Isn't it down to the timid raising of rates by the BoE last year?