BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

We chose to pool our sovereignty, and then we chose not to.

It isn't binary though. If a government moves from 3/10 sovereignty pooling to 4/10, the next government doesn't get to move back to 3. Its choice is either 0 or 4.
    You do know how a union works, right?

I'm not really sure you're taking the political reality of a union of 28/27 sovereign countries into account in your analysis here.
    I can't speak for TBB here, but the point isn't to say "Unions shouldn't work this way" or "The EU doesn't require pooling of sovereignty" etc. It is to say that decisions taken by the government of a member state re ratifying a treaty reduce the flexibility in legal terms (i.e. some combinations of preferences are simply not possible legally) that future governments of that country have to operate unilaterally.

This ends the centuries-old state in the UK that "no Parliament can bind its successor". If that really bothers you then you'll want to leave the EU. If it bothers you a bit but you want to stay in the EU for the wider benefits then you shrug your shoulders and carry on.
    I think you're also not taking political reality of a union of 28/27 sovereign countries into account in your analysis here.

You need to understand how to manage a union of 27/28 countries and the political reality of that, and then see how the legal framework fits into that reality.

This discussion is irrelevant without considering why the EU did work in that particular way.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,826

pblakeney said:

I am confused, and not for the first time. 😉
    I thought that we had left and this was all behind us.

We have. I've been talking about the situation that applied prior to leaving, in response to an observation up-thread that leaving the EU demonstrated that a Parliament couldn't bind its successor.
    Which is correct, as acknowledged by https://www.parliament.uk/about/how/role/sovereignty/
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,608
    It is easy to see from this discussion how remain lost.
  • kingstongraham

They didn't explain this succinctly how parliamentary sovereignty hadn't been lost?
  • TheBigBean
    edited June 2023

They didn't explain this succinctly how parliamentary sovereignty hadn't been lost?
    Arguing the irrelevant to avoid admitting the obvious. Another example is that the UK did have the ability to restrict EU immigration in some limted cases.

Bonus marks if it is done in a patronising way.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,664

Come now bean, I think we're all losers here...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,024

pblakeney said:

We have. I've been talking about the situation that applied prior to leaving, in response to an observation up-thread that leaving the EU demonstrated that a Parliament couldn't bind its successor.
    I really don't care, and can't see why anyone else does. I've never been under the illusion that previous parliaments were binding. Couldn't have budgets if they were.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

I really don't care, and can't see why anyone else does.
    I don't. I'm just passing time before the Tour starts. We all have an interest in debating irrelevant issues as we wouldn't be Cakestoppers otherwise!

• pblakeney said:

Which is correct, as acknowledged by https://www.parliament.uk/about/how/role/sovereignty/
    I particularly like this bit, with my clarifying text in []: "These developments [including joining the EU] do not fundamentally undermine the principle of parliamentary sovereignty, since, in theory at least, Parliament could repeal any of the laws implementing these changes."

The "in theory at least" is rather telling. In theory, pre-Brexit, Parliament could have revoked the law relating to Freedom of Movement for EU citizens, which would have made lots of Brtexity types very happy. In practice, that would be reneging on an international treaty, which is generally considered the preserve of a "rogue state" and not something that is an option for a western democracy.

So the simple statement that we never lost sovereignty whilst in the EU is somewhat disingenuous, as it omits the "so long as you don't mind breaking international law" caveat.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,607

pblakeney said:

I particularly like this bit, with my clarifying text in []: "These developments [including joining the EU] do not fundamentally undermine the principle of parliamentary sovereignty, since, in theory at least, Parliament could repeal any of the laws implementing these changes."

The "in theory at least" is rather telling. In theory, pre-Brexit, Parliament could have revoked the law relating to Freedom of Movement for EU citizens, which would have made lots of Brtexity types very happy. In practice, that would be reneging on an international treaty, which is generally considered the preserve of a "rogue state" and not something that is an option for a western democracy.

So the simple statement that we never lost sovereignty whilst in the EU is somewhat disingenuous, as it omits the "so long as you don't mind breaking international law" caveat.
    Does it say we could repeal them and stay in the EU?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,774

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

I really don't care, and can't see why anyone else does.
    I don't. I'm just passing time before the Tour starts. We all have an interest in debating irrelevant issues as we wouldn't be Cakestoppers otherwise!

It's a bit of a 'shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted' debate, but then again this thread has been like that for a long time now :smile:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    pangolin said:

pblakeney said:

Obviously this.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,774
    pblakeney said:

It is...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,178
    edited June 2023

because leave lied and the gullible/stupid* believed the lies

* it's not patronising, they were gullible and/or stupid
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • TheBigBean
    sungod said:

because leave lied and the gullible/stupid* believed the lies

* it's not patronising, they were gullible and/or stupid
    I'm sure that sentiment will persuade leave voters they were wrong.
  • rick_chasey
    It’s all very well being accused of being patronising but can you help it when people are largely so stupid? ;-)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • pangolin said:

pblakeney said:

I think that is just "cakeism". Though it would have been interesting had this occurred whilst the UK was still a member state.
  • kingstongraham

pangolin said:

pblakeney said:

I think that is just "cakeism". Though it would have been interesting had this occurred whilst the UK was still a member state.
    The point is that it doesn't say that.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,607

pangolin said:

pblakeney said:

Yeah so the implication is we can repeal any of the laws but would have to leave as part of that. Which is what we have done. What's unclear?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • TheBigBean
    Alternative view on Aus trade deal and the dinner with Johnson

https://capx.co/no-boris-didnt-sell-out-british-farmers-with-the-australia-trade-deal/

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,024

https://capx.co/no-boris-didnt-sell-out-british-farmers-with-the-australia-trade-deal/

Consider the author's politics as per any opinion pieces.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,694
    pblakeney said:

Consider the author's politics as per any opinion pieces.

Are you saying she might not have a balanced view?

• rick_chasey
    Wtf is capx as a publication?
  • TheBigBean
    It would be a very different thread if posting was limited to balanced opinions only.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,151
    edited June 2023

Have you seen her CV or Twitter feed? The possibility of her admitting anything negative about Brexit is zero. Also retweets conspiracy theory nonsense.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • kingstongraham

I read that as saying that the "sell out" was done before the dinner, done on purpose and not on the hoof by Boris. The article seems to say that this is a good thing because it would reduce the UK's reliance on the EU for agricultural goods.

I'm not saying this was a good or bad thing, because I don't know. Do we get a lot of lamb and beef from the EU?
  • TheBigBean

I read that as saying that the "sell out" was done before the dinner, done on purpose and not on the hoof by Boris. The article seems to say that this is a good thing because it would reduce the UK's reliance on the EU for agricultural goods.

I'm not saying this was a good or bad thing, because I don't know. Do we get a lot of lamb and beef from the EU?
    Sounds like a reasonable summary. Also, that NZ and Aus have dropped all their tariffs on imports from the UK.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,151

Looking at the author's Twitter feed she appears to have a bit of an axe to grind against UK farming, be virulently pro-Brexit and a free-market absolutist. The idea that this was all some clever strategic move seems a bit of a stretch.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

Sounds like a reasonable summary. Also, that NZ and Aus have dropped all their tariffs on imports from the UK.
    I am struggling to find a value for food exports to Aus/;NZ as it does not appear in lists of top exports. Could it really be as low as £100m?