BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,891
    pangolin said:

Are the shortages area specific? Bristol seems to have been largely unaffected so far, at least three shops I've been to (Tesco, Coop, Aldi, Waitrose)

I suspect the bigger players are still getting their share and smaller chains are suffering first. I noticed a fair few empty spaces on the shelves at my local Spar for the first time yesterday. I can see Co-op being affected before Tesco / ASDA etc. (although I also went into a Tesco Express yesterday that had some bare patches too).
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

elbowloh said:

Greggs now saying all their chicken pies, pastries and bakes are being affected.
    Co-op saying its the worst supply shortage he's ever seen and Iceland is saying that the "crisis" threatens Christmas.

Where the censored am i going to get my prawn ring?

Anyway, we're making a success of Brexit.

Co-op has had bare shelves ever since Jan.

Total pain in the ars*.

I guess it's worth it for the extra cost of shipping in stuff from the continent.
    Try shopping at Tesco or Waitrose. I've not noticed any shortages in those shops near me. Or are these shops with bare shelves only located near you for some strange reason? ;)
    So it’s being reported on as I write this on newsnight so it’s plainly not just me.

🙄🙄🙄
    Well in that case the ones near me are miraculously Immune. I can't remember that last time there was anything apart from the occasional one off thing that we've been unable to buy.
    could you check the cat food (Whiskas 7 or 11+ poultry in jelly pouches) as around here for the last 6 months there have been shortages and restricted to two boxes per customer. I have gone as far as Walton and Colliers Wood so popping over to Bromley could be tied in with other jobs.
    Cat food is in short supply in East Yorkshire as well. Called in at Booths super
    Market in Ripon last week and they didn’t have much either.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    pangolin said:

Are the shortages area specific? Bristol seems to have been largely unaffected so far, at least three shops I've been to (Tesco, Coop, Aldi, Waitrose)

Supermarkets will just fill the shelves with the stuff they do have to hide the shortages in the lines that are short.

The pictures of empty shelves are often just before they're restocked with the other items from the back.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Pross
    webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

elbowloh said:

Greggs now saying all their chicken pies, pastries and bakes are being affected.
    Co-op saying its the worst supply shortage he's ever seen and Iceland is saying that the "crisis" threatens Christmas.

Total pain in the ars*.

I guess it's worth it for the extra cost of shipping in stuff from the continent.
    Try shopping at Tesco or Waitrose. I've not noticed any shortages in those shops near me. Or are these shops with bare shelves only located near you for some strange reason? ;)
    So it’s being reported on as I write this on newsnight so it’s plainly not just me.

🙄🙄🙄
    Well in that case the ones near me are miraculously Immune. I can't remember that last time there was anything apart from the occasional one off thing that we've been unable to buy.
    could you check the cat food (Whiskas 7 or 11+ poultry in jelly pouches) as around here for the last 6 months there have been shortages and restricted to two boxes per customer. I have gone as far as Walton and Colliers Wood so popping over to Bromley could be tied in with other jobs.
    Cat food is in short supply in East Yorkshire as well. Called in at Booths super
    That's the lowering of food standards post-Brexit. All the stuff that went into the cat food is now being sold to humans :wink:
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Pross said:

webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

elbowloh said:

Total pain in the ars*.

🙄🙄🙄
    That's the lowering of food standards post-Brexit. All the stuff that went into the cat food is now being sold to humans :wink:
    I concur.

However, I’d rather my cat ate than a Brexiteer.
  • elbowloh
    morstar said:

Pross said:

webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

elbowloh said:

Total pain in the ars*.

🙄🙄🙄
    I concur.

However, I’d rather my cat ate a Brexiteer.
    Yeah me too ;)
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,771
    pangolin said:

It would appear to be based on what is reported here. I think Rick is just hoping that the issue is national.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,363
    edited August 2021
    This is the current accepted way of discussing it - from https://unherd.com/thepost/the-british-brit-bashers-are-at-it-again/?mc_cid=3b1d23cdc2&mc_eid=48a7c8415c

"The disruption of supply chains is a favourite weapon of British Brit-bashers. Pictures of empty shelves in supermarkets are avidly shared on Twitter (and The Guardian) while hashtags like #BrexitFoodShortages are sent trending.

"It would be foolish to ignore the problems caused by Brexit, yet it’s equally myopic to disregard the global chaos caused by Covid."

Brexit has caused problems for Britain over and above what the rest of the world has, but if you say that, it's anti-British. If you caused it, not so much.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,348
    elbowloh said:

pangolin said:

Supermarkets will just fill the shelves with the stuff they do have to hide the shortages in the lines that are short.

The pictures of empty shelves are often just before they're restocked with the other items from the back.
    Sure, but I don't think there has been an increase in specific items I have been unable to get (there are usually 1 or 2 things, but that's normal)
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,731
    Can't you just buy cat food online?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,949
    edited August 2021
    I find the denial of a problem remarkable, given it's the second biggest news story after afganistan on every major TV news outlet.

https://www.countytimes.co.uk/news/national/uk-today/19539207.kfc-nandos-greggs-costa-uk-restaurants-warning-customers-amid-food-shortage/

Here you a go, a nice list.

McDonald's warned customers that they may not be able to order milkshakes or bottled drinks at their local branch amid supply chain problems.

The shortage is affecting all 1,250 of McDonald’s stores across Scotland, England and Wales.

KFC
    Posting on Twitter, KFC said: "Just a heads up that across our country, there's been some disruption over the last few weeks - so things may be a little different when you next visit us.

"You might find some items aren't available or our packaging might look a little different to normal.

Greggs
    Greggs has also fallen victim to a series of supply chain problems that is affecting businesses up and down the UK

"They are currently producing a reduced range of products for UK customers and are seriously concerned that the supply of staple chicken products will be impacted," Griffiths said.

Costa
    Costa Coffee is another big name to be suffering from distribution issues.

In reply to a customers Tweet querying the lack of decaffeinated coffee beans in various stores, Costa replied: “We are facing some supply chain issues just now. We're working hard to resolve this ASAP”.

Co-Op
    The boss of one of the UK’s biggest retailers has warned that current food shortages are at a “worse level” than he has ever seen.

Steve Murrells, chief executive of the Co-operative Group, said the retailer has significantly reduced its range of some products to help serve customers.

He told the Times newspaper: “The shortages are at a worse level than at any time I have seen.”

The Co-Op I can vouch for. Materially reduced stock.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,960
    At various times this year the local coop seems to have had virtually no frozen items or no fresh veg. Most other stores have been quite a bit better.

Cat food production might still be additionally suffering from a massive recall earlier in the year.

The local gourmet pizza pub had no pizza boxes when we wanted to take some leftovers last weekend.
  • Stevo_666

I find the denial of a problem remarkable, given it's the second biggest news story after afganistan on every major TV news outlet.

https://www.countytimes.co.uk/news/national/uk-today/19539207.kfc-nandos-greggs-costa-uk-restaurants-warning-customers-amid-food-shortage/

McDonald's warned customers that they may not be able to order milkshakes or bottled drinks at their local branch amid supply chain problems.

The shortage is affecting all 1,250 of McDonald’s stores across Scotland, England and Wales.

KFC
    Posting on Twitter, KFC said: "Just a heads up that across our country, there's been some disruption over the last few weeks - so things may be a little different when you next visit us.

"You might find some items aren't available or our packaging might look a little different to normal.

Greggs
    Greggs has also fallen victim to a series of supply chain problems that is affecting businesses up and down the UK

"They are currently producing a reduced range of products for UK customers and are seriously concerned that the supply of staple chicken products will be impacted," Griffiths said.

Costa

In reply to a customers Tweet querying the lack of decaffeinated coffee beans in various stores, Costa replied: “We are facing some supply chain issues just now. We're working hard to resolve this ASAP”.

Co-Op
    The boss of one of the UK’s biggest retailers has warned that current food shortages are at a “worse level” than he has ever seen.

Steve Murrells, chief executive of the Co-operative Group, said the retailer has significantly reduced its range of some products to help serve customers.

He told the Times newspaper: “The shortages are at a worse level than at any time I have seen.”

Lucky I don't shop at any of those. Are they all blaming it solely on Brexit like you are? Or do they recognise that there are other factors in play which are harder to blame the Tories for?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    Yes they are blaming brexit. Go watch last night's newsnight.

It is the same reason why the rest of the world is not struggling with supply chains.
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo_666 said:

KFC

Greggs

Costa

Co-Op

Lucky I don't shop at any of those. Are they all blaming it solely on Brexit like you are? Or do they recognise that there are other factors in play which are harder to blame the Tories for?
    https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/comment/20828401/#Comment_20828401

Nice work.
  • TheBigBean

KFC

Greggs

Costa

Co-Op

Not exactly a life and death situation though is it?
  • kingstongraham
    edited August 2021
    It's as expected, things are a bit worse than could be.
  • Can't you just buy cat food online?

they have the same shortages
  • TheBigBean

It feels a bit like a strike to me. Sometimes there are strikes that are inconvenient, but you have sympathy with the cause, so can tolerate it. In this case I'm sympathetic to the way truck drivers were treated and i'm currently suffering no inconvenience.
  • elbowloh
    edited August 2021

It feels a bit like a strike to me. Sometimes there are strikes that are inconvenient, but you have sympathy with the cause, so can tolerate it. In this case I'm sympathetic to the way truck drivers were treated and i'm currently suffering no inconvenience.
    Yeah, but strikes can lead to the forced destruction of whole communities...
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey

KFC

Greggs

Costa

Co-Op

Not exactly a life and death situation though is it?
    I didn't realise that was the bar?
  • Stevo_666

It is the same reason why the rest of the world is not struggling with supply chains.

Go Google global food supply chain issues and you'll find that this is not a UK specific problem.
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo_666 said:

Go Google global food supply chain issues and you'll find that this is not a UK specific problem.
    Shame we added our own problem on top, eh?
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

So what, industry leaders, newsnight, the head of the co-op, are all lying?
  • Pross
    edited August 2021

Stevo_666 said:

So what, industry leaders, newsnight, the head of the co-op, are all anti-British traitors?
    Hope you don't mind me fixing that?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,922
    edited August 2021
    But we’ve got world class shortages.
    Makes you proud.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,957
    edited August 2021

Stevo_666 said:

Shame we added our own problem on top, eh?
    An incredible unforced error.

In June 2020, 6 months into the pandemic we could have extended the Brexit transition period.

We chose not to.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Nope, read my post again. I said it was not an issue that is restricted to the UK. Have these industry leaders specifically said that only the UK has food supply chain issues?

In any event I'm sure you can manage without the odd KFC until things sort themselves out.

Fyi just back from my local supermarket where these issues are still still absent.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,960
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Nope, read my post again. I said it was not an issue that is restricted to the UK. Have these industry leaders specifically said that only the UK has food supply chain issues?

In any event I'm sure you can manage without the odd KFC until things sort themselves out.

Fyi just back from my local supermarket where these issues are still still absent.
    ... For the items you wanted.

Presumably. Feel free to correct me if you did a full stock take!
  • Stevo_666
    Jezyboy said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

... For the items you wanted.

Presumably. Feel free to correct me if you did a full stock take!
    I felt compelled to do a quick look around for swathes of empty shelves and I couldn't see any. Must be my eyesight because Rick says it's true.