BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,702
    elbowloh said:

No idea. I met him once, with the sort of curiosity you have for someone who has never met someone who works in a factory socially.

I quizzed him on the hours (3 week rota, if I remember correctly a week at each of either 8am-4pm, 4pm-12pm or 12pm-8am), and him moaning that the factory was so big that by the time he got to the cafateria he had to walk back so he used to have a packed lunch on the floor of his bit and they would have to hoover up the crumbs all within 20 minutes before the line started moving again.

Sounded rubbish, and that was before he started moaning about the fact that it creates a massive rush-hour going in and out of the factory every day which adds 20 minutes each way in and out.

You'd never met someone who worked in a factory?

I've worked in a big car plant also, I'm surprised about the story about not having time to go to the cafeteria, i don't think Nissan Sunderland was that much bigger than Honda Swindon! It was massive at Honda also, but never heard anyone complaining about not having time to eat. Also, you would not be allowed to eat anywhere on the factory floor. There were break areas where you can have a cuppa, but on the factory floor, no way, massive no no in terms of car quality and also hygiene/health.

I can certainly testify that there are queues getting out of the car park, with operatives running flat our when the buzzer goes to get our quick and beat the queue. They had to also have people with speed guns to try and control speeding at those times, with someone clocked doing 80mph in the car park, when i think it was a 10mph limit.
    Is that because you're an engineer and they send undergrad engineers to car plants to break... , sorry, broaden their horizons 😁?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

Pross said:

elbowloh said:

No idea. I met him once, with the sort of curiosity you have for someone who has never met someone who works in a factory socially.

I quizzed him on the hours (3 week rota, if I remember correctly a week at each of either 8am-4pm, 4pm-12pm or 12pm-8am), and him moaning that the factory was so big that by the time he got to the cafateria he had to walk back so he used to have a packed lunch on the floor of his bit and they would have to hoover up the crumbs all within 20 minutes before the line started moving again.

Sounded rubbish, and that was before he started moaning about the fact that it creates a massive rush-hour going in and out of the factory every day which adds 20 minutes each way in and out.

I've worked in a big car plant also, I'm surprised about the story about not having time to go to the cafeteria, i don't think Nissan Sunderland was that much bigger than Honda Swindon! It was massive at Honda also, but never heard anyone complaining about not having time to eat. Also, you would not be allowed to eat anywhere on the factory floor. There were break areas where you can have a cuppa, but on the factory floor, no way, massive no no in terms of car quality and also hygiene/health.

I can certainly testify that there are queues getting out of the car park, with operatives running flat our when the buzzer goes to get our quick and beat the queue. They had to also have people with speed guns to try and control speeding at those times, with someone clocked doing 80mph in the car park, when i think it was a 10mph limit.
    I was a bit taken aback by that too!
    I really don't think I have ever known somebody who worked on a factory floor, maybe it is a reflection of where you grew up and now live.
    How cycling has changed. In the 60’s and 70’s they used to base the cost of a good bike on so many weeks wages of a skilled factory worker.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    webboo said:

Pross said:

elbowloh said:

I really don't think I have ever known somebody who worked on a factory floor, maybe it is a reflection of where you grew up and now live.
    How cycling has changed. In the 60’s and 70’s they used to base the cost of a good bike on so many weeks wages of a skilled factory worker.
    Were you around then?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

webboo said:

Pross said:

elbowloh said:

Were you around then?
    Yes. I started working in a factory in 1970 age 15 as an apprentice engineer. Factories and building sites for the following 15 years with few periods paid for by Maggie T to be a full time rock climber. Then retrained as a Psychiatric Nurse.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,928

Pross said:

elbowloh said:

I thought I hadn't until I'd done my placement on what was a mixed use site, where we often saw jet engines being dragged around.

Then realised I could one up Chasey as my old man started as an apprentice and worked up to MD...

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    I'm genuinely amazed that people can reach middle age without knowing someone who has worked in a factory. Surely even the south-east has such things? I can understand someone not knowing an ex-miner or steel worker. Maybe all those that think wealth is generated in the City should get out more and see what the FTSE 100 / 250 companies actually do.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    I'm trying to think of someone other than the people i met working in one for Uni holidays...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Spent over a decade directly employed in the manufacturing sector and now consult so May have met one or two on the factory floor.
    Spent very little time on the shop floor so it was often mistakenly assumed I knew nothing about what happened down there. Always fun when that misconception unravels.
    But it’s educational, seeing a well run factory is a thing of beauty. Real shit actually happens in front of your eyes. You then go back to the numbers and make it even better.
  • Pross said:

I'm genuinely amazed that people can reach middle age without knowing someone who has worked in a factory. Surely even the south-east has such things? I can understand someone not knowing an ex-miner or steel worker. Maybe all those that think wealth is generated in the City should get out more and see what the FTSE 100 / 250 companies actually do.

It depends where you grew up, how many people do you know who worked on the rigs?
  • Pross

Pross said:

It depends where you grew up, how many people do you know who worked on the rigs?
    A couple, my cousin went up there when he left the RAF for starters and I know someone who did some diving but wisely moved to safer, warmer waters after a few years.

I also know a couple of people working for big City banks even though I've never lived near London.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

Is that because you're an engineer and they send undergrad engineers to car plants to break... , sorry, broaden their horizons 😁?
    I went to get experience for sure. It was actually quite interesting, but I had to leave because...Swindon
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ddraver
    France overtakes UK...

There was some crowing about that some time ago wasn't there..? 🤔 Denmark, Spain, Iceland, Portugal and Ireland overtook us a while back...
    - @ddraver
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,318
    ddraver said:

France overtakes UK...

There was some crowing about that some time ago wasn't there..? 🤔 Denmark, Spain, Iceland, Portugal and Ireland overtook us a while back...
    Good effort from that lot to vaccinate over 47 million each :p
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Pross
    I guess you can't vaccinate those that don't want to be vaccinated though. We probably could have done 100% by now if the people were coming forward but the daily total on the news feels like it has hardly moved for weeks.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,318
    Pross said:

I guess you can't vaccinate those that don't want to be vaccinated though. We probably could have done 100% by now if the people were coming forward but the daily total on the news feels like it has hardly moved for weeks.

Yup. Meanwhile you have bellends like this

"Jack Stacey, from Staffordshire, told the BBC he caught Covid at Boardmasters and wished he had not gone.

"My whole family's got it now so I regret going to be honest… It wasn't worth it," he said.

The 20-year-old, who is not vaccinated, said he was "shocked" at how ill the virus made him, leaving him bed-bound for nine days."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-58318695
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • ddraver
    Crossing the streams a bit now, but Sis raver and Bug hunky Marine BF went and now he's been laid low with it.

Apparently, no one thought to vaccinate the military..?!?

On the plus side, the rest of the raver family, all double jabbed, haven't even flickered despite us all being together the day before his symptoms started
    - @ddraver
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Her big hunky boyfriend or yours ;)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,702
    elbowloh said:

rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

I went to get experience for sure. It was actually quite interesting, but I had to leave because...Swindon
    Brother did a year at a car factory somewhere in Essex.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,645
    ddraver said:

France overtakes UK...

90% of UK adults have had the first dose, so there is not that much scope to improve. The big difference is which countries are vaccinating kids.
  • Pross said:

I think it's probably a by-product of where you're from in the country. Being from the Midlands you can't help but know loads of people who have worked in factories or now are currently employed by JLR. The amount of further people locally employed by the supply chain is unbelievable.

Similar to you Pross I'd know people in all different professions. Probably a social mobility issue and the Tebbit 'Get on your bike'. People from here had little option as the coal mines and manufacturing around here closed.
  • Pross said:

Pross said:

A couple, my cousin went up there when he left the RAF for starters and I know someone who did some diving but wisely moved to safer, warmer waters after a few years.

I also know a couple of people working for big City banks even though I've never lived near London.
    maybe we have discovered that people do not move to work on a fatory floor
  • Pross said:

Pross said:

You'd be surprised.

Obviously in the 50's, 60's & 70's there were huge swathes of people from Ireland, Scotland, Wales, the north & Carribean who moved to Coventry to work in the car factories.

There's still a surprisingly large amount who still move here because of JLR. I assume you wouldn't move from a more affluent area if you were in a good job to work in a factory but there's still plenty of more industry deprived areas where people will move from.
  • rick_chasey

ddraver said:

France overtakes UK...

90% of UK adults have had the first dose, so there is not that much scope to improve. The big difference is which countries are vaccinating kids.
    I think the reason this was posted in this thread is a number of posters on here referred to the British "success" in vaccinating people was a "Brexit benefit" and posters were making out that EU countries would be really suffering with materially higher death rates because of their slowness of vaccinating people.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,645

ddraver said:

France overtakes UK...

I think the reason this was posted in this thread is a number of posters on here referred to the British "success" in vaccinating people was a "Brexit benefit" and posters were making out that EU countries would be really suffering with materially higher death rates because of their slowness of vaccinating people.

The EU's vaccine scheme was far from perfect and deserved the criticism it received.
  • rick_chasey

ddraver said:

France overtakes UK...

The EU's vaccine scheme was far from perfect and deserved the criticism it received.
    If you look at the graphs, the difference between the UK and the similarly sized and well off European countries is not all that.
  • Pross

ddraver said:

France overtakes UK...

If you look at the graphs, the difference between the UK and the similarly sized and well off European countries is not all that.
    But that's because we reached close to saturation point a few months ago and others have caught up. I don't go for it being a Brexit benefit as we were free to do our own thing before Brexit but we were definitely streets ahead in the early months which was important given how high the infection rates were at the time.
  • Pross said:

ddraver said:

France overtakes UK...

But that's because we reached close to saturation point a few months ago and others have caught up. I don't go for it being a Brexit benefit as we were free to do our own thing before Brexit but we were definitely streets ahead in the early months which was important given how high the infection rates were at the time.
    but it does ot look like they are going to surge past us in the death charts
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,577

ddraver said:

France overtakes UK...

As this is the Brexit thread, maybe we could rejoin the EU in time for a delayed booster jab programme then claim victory when we finally catch other countries up?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross said:

Pross said:

You'd be surprised.

Obviously in the 50's, 60's & 70's there were huge swathes of people from Ireland, Scotland, Wales, the north & Carribean who moved to Coventry to work in the car factories.

There's still a surprisingly large amount who still move here because of JLR. I assume you wouldn't move from a more affluent area if you were in a good job to work in a factory but there's still plenty of more industry deprived areas where people will move from.
    this is becoming increasingly intriguing and despite racking my brains can only think of one bloke I met 30 years ago who used to work at Westland Helicopters. Which equals the number of ex-SAS I have met and one third of the number of ex-prisoners I have met.

Do these people moving to work at JLR have specialist skills?
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2021
    Pross said:

ddraver said:

France overtakes UK...

I mean, the latter point was partly self inflicted. Counterfactuals are fairly pointless but I don't think the gap is as big as everyone has made out in the end.

Comparable EU nations are still in a different league to RoW.

It also puts to bed a narrative on here that people on the continent were a bunch of vaccine avoiders - I remember a lot of chat on here about how the French aren't interested in getting vaccinated.