BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Pandemic could not have been worse timed in terms of Brexit, really.

OK sure, it keeps Brexit costs off the front pages but you really don't want any drags on growth whatsoever to get out of this mess and even the most ardent brexit leaders have said there are short-medium term drags (10 year period was what raab was going on about last week).

Perhaps SC will be here to say all the stockpiling for Brexit helped pandemic preps and maybe that is the case, but then you'd expect the RoW to have suffered from that.
  • pangolin said:

Yes, hence why I said free childcare hours not just free childcare.

fair point - explanation was more for the wider audience who might not be aware of how it actually works out.
  • Pandemic could not have been worse timed in terms of Brexit, really.

OK sure, it keeps Brexit costs off the front pages but you really don't want any drags on growth whatsoever to get out of this mess and even the most ardent brexit leaders have said there are short-medium term drags (10 year period was what raab was going on about last week).

Perhaps SC will be here to say all the stockpiling for Brexit helped pandemic preps and maybe that is the case, but then you'd expect the RoW to have suffered from that.

You need to stop looking at Brexit as the 2nd dumbest thing a nation has ever done.

If you believe in Brexit then a global pandemic is a stroke of good luck.
    Reduction in trade takes pressure off borders
    Reduction in travel takes pressure off borders
    Economy hammered by 10% makes 0.5-1% seem irrelevant
    Distracts people from negative impacts and hopefully deaths stay high until people get used to it
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,145

You need to stop looking at Brexit as the 2nd dumbest thing a nation has ever done.

Distracts people from negative impacts and hopefully deaths stay high until people get used to it
    2nd?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry said:

2nd?
    Germany declaring war on the USA
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    rjsterry said:

Not often I agree with John but if you are going to inflict permanent economic harm at the cost of hundreds of billions to keep foreigners out then at least do it properly.

The list of suggested exceptions made the whole thing pointless, students, doctors, nurses, seasonal workers, chefs, au pairs, care home staff, people earning over £26k and now you want to add creative industries- why bother?

Lucky for the Irish that these tvvats see them as British as they are always near the top of the charts for immigration by country

No, I think John is quite happy with exceptions that suit him.
    You constant critique of me is mildly amusing. I want a points based system that we hold governments to account for every 5 years. If you want an exception for groups then feel free to make the case and maybe say Labour or the Tories can sell that to the electorate. Moaning at me for not wanting to have loophole after loophole whilst sniping that I could not possibly understand the intricacies of the creative industries is a rather weak argument.
  • rick_chasey

rjsterry said:

2nd?
    Really intrigued how you arrived at this conclusion
  • rjsterry said:

2nd?
    Think of it as a conversation starter.

In all honesty I am not convinced it will be a worse decision than Brexit will turn out to be.
  • rjsterry
    john80 said:

rjsterry said:

Not often I agree with John but if you are going to inflict permanent economic harm at the cost of hundreds of billions to keep foreigners out then at least do it properly.

The list of suggested exceptions made the whole thing pointless, students, doctors, nurses, seasonal workers, chefs, au pairs, care home staff, people earning over £26k and now you want to add creative industries- why bother?

Lucky for the Irish that these tvvats see them as British as they are always near the top of the charts for immigration by country

You constant critique of me is mildly amusing. I want a points based system that we hold governments to account for every 5 years. If you want an exception for groups then feel free to make the case and maybe say Labour or the Tories can sell that to the electorate. Moaning at me for not wanting to have loophole after loophole whilst sniping that I could not possibly understand the intricacies of the creative industries is a rather weak argument.
    We're not talking about immigration. The issue is the restrictions on being able to make working visits to the EU. The sniping was aimed at you dismissing 7% of the UK economy as a few stand up comedians and musicians.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey

rjsterry said:

2nd?

In all honesty I am not convinced it will be a worse decision than Brexit will turn out to be.
    Fair enough.

I mean, I’d argue that that wasn’t even worst decision (in terms of trying to win and/or survive ...) that war for Germany.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    rjsterry said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

We're not talking about immigration. The issue is the restrictions on being able to make working visits to the EU. The sniping was aimed at you dismissing 7% of the UK economy as a few stand up comedians and musicians.
    And i think it also dismisses the "soft power" that the UK exerts via its export of the arts and creative industries.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    English artists for English people!!!!!!!

Fuck Jonny foreigner!
  • john80
    When Henning Wehn is back on 8 out of ten cats does countdown after filling out the paperwork that is going to burst a few peoples bubble.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,677
    john80 said:

When Henning Wehn is back on 8 out of ten cats does countdown after filling out the paperwork that is going to burst a few peoples bubble.

Have you got any idea how touring works?
  • rjsterry said:

2nd?

Fair enough.

I mean, I’d argue that that wasn’t even worst decision (in terms of trying to win and/or survive ...) that war for Germany.
    Attacking Russia wasn’t the best idea.

I was reading about Nuremberg and they asked Goering why they declared war on USA, he was incredulous that they did. That was either because he was a smack or the widely held belief that USA would declare war on Japan and them.
  • john80

john80 said:

How do US bands or other countries work in the EU. Is your argument that the UK is in a worse position that a creative person from say China, Australia, US etc. Presumably these guys have no or limited reach into the EU market.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

john80 said:

Or what a UK resident is?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rjsterry
    edited February 2021
    john80 said:

He lives here permanently.

As a specific example, the National Theatre has announced that they have cancelled all European tours for the foreseeable as they are currently financially unviable.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223

john80 said:

Of course he has. John can do any job and show those who do it for a living how to do it better. He's like the antithesis of the character on The Fast Show that did the "hardest job in the world" catchphrase. "Teaching? Easiest job in the world all them holidays and avoiding going to work in a pandemic". "Touring musician? Easiest job in the world, fill in a few bits of paper then tour the world doing booze and drugs with some groupies on the tour bus".
  • rick_chasey

rjsterry said:

2nd?

Fair enough.

I was reading about Nuremberg and they asked Goering why they declared war on USA, he was incredulous that they did. That was either because he was a smack or the widely held belief that USA would declare war on Japan and them.
    It still blows my mind to this day that the US would heavily intervene in a European civil war *twice*
  • rjsterry said:

2nd?

Fair enough.

It still blows my mind to this day that the US would heavily intervene in a European civil war *twice*
    Many count dragging them in the second time to be Churchill’s greatest achievement.
  • rick_chasey
    edited February 2021
  • rick_chasey
    And do any of the EU "undemocratic" critics have a view on the unelected bureaucrat Frost being put in charge of UK-EU relationships?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

rjsterry said:

2nd?

Fair enough.

I'm sure the 100,000 or so American personnel killed fighting against Japan would be delighted to hear this.

I know what you're getting at but there is perhaps at least some reason why they're called "world" wars.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    edited February 2021
    delete
  • rick_chasey

rjsterry said:

2nd?

Fair enough.

I'm sure the 100,000 or so American personnel killed fighting against Japan would be delighted to hear this.

I know what you're getting at but there is perhaps at least some reason why they're called "world" wars.
    I don't understand the point you're making.
  • rjsterry said:

2nd?

Fair enough.

One of us is not getting his point.

My interpretation is that the logical thing for them to do was to carry on doing enough to keep us from defeat whilst they got on with fighting the Japanese. Rather than break the first rule of war to not fight on two fronts.

• And do any of the EU "undemocratic" critics have a view on the unelected bureaucrat Frost being put in charge of UK-EU relationships?

I am obviously not one of them but to me it makes perfect sense but then I see it as an ongoing negotiation
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah I mean look, Germans were sinking American ships heading to the UK so I get that they would get involved in some respect, but the commitment the US made to Europe is, to me anyway, *remarkable*.

It's not something I've studied or know much about - it's just 80 odd years on it feels more and more difficult to understand without getting stuck into the reading on it.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662

And do any of the EU "undemocratic" critics have a view on the unelected bureaucrat Frost being put in charge of UK-EU relationships?

iTs Ok weN We dO iT!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver