BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Assumption is a Catholic festival isn't it?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    edited February 2021
    (I suspect everyone knows this...)

They want a border on Ireland...they re just about clever enough not to say the quiet part loud, but they want a border, harder the better, on Ireland!

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,145
    In which the Culture Minister admits that, yeah, there's absolutely nothing in the TCA for creative industries and they effectively have 'no deal'. They might try to do some bilateral deals with individual countries but haven't made any kind of start on looking into this.

https://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/4bd22d71-fc47-48e5-b87a-15fc07eab0cb
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,677
    rjsterry said:

In which the Culture Minister admits that, yeah, there's absolutely nothing in the TCA for creative industries and they effectively have 'no deal'. They might try to do some bilateral deals with individual countries but haven't made any kind of start on looking into this.

So, so far we've got "Fvck industry, fishermen, farmers, Northern Ireland/Ireland,
    the creative industries"... I wonder who's next.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

rjsterry said:

So, so far we've got "Fvck industry, fishermen, farmers, Northern Ireland/Ireland,
    The north, the south, the midlands, gingers, non-gingers, bankers, chip shops. Take your pick.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

I think it's less "f*** business" than they just weren't even on their radar. All was subsumed by an ideological desperation to eschew anything that could conceivably be thought of as alignment with the EU. Beyond that, they just weren't interested.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

I think it's less "f*** business" than they just weren't even on their radar. All was subsumed by an ideological desperation to eschew anything that could conceivably be thought of as alignment with the EU. Beyond that, they just weren't interested.
    Have you ever considered that brexit could not look after every interest. How long do you think it would take for a guy to figure out that they could come to the UK claiming to be creative when their talent would make them one of the comedy acts on Britain's got talent that gets laughed off the stage. Allowing this loophole is nonsense when proper musicians can just do the paperwork. Harsh as it sounds to some their is no point in pulling EU rip cord to then put a load of half measures in place that can easily be exploited.
  • ddraver
    Again, yes we have considered.

Then we looked at the list of benefits, but...

- @ddraver
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,605
    ddraver said:

Again, yes we have considered.

Then we looked at the list of benefits, but...

There's a benefits of brexit thread. Oddly it is quite quiet.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • elbowloh
    john80 said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Have you ever considered that brexit could not look after every interest. How long do you think it would take for a guy to figure out that they could come to the UK claiming to be creative when their talent would make them one of the comedy acts on Britain's got talent that gets laughed off the stage. Allowing this loophole is nonsense when proper musicians can just do the paperwork. Harsh as it sounds to some their is no point in pulling EU rip cord to then put a load of half measures in place that can easily be exploited.
    What interests did Brexit did look after? Was it just this nebulous thing called Sovereignty and immigration? Was that it really?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,018
    elbowloh said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

What interests did Brexit did look after? Was it just this nebulous thing called Sovereignty and immigration? Was that it really?
    Blue passports. Don't forget the blue passports.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry
    john80 said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Maybe have another go once you've worked out what the creative industries are.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    rjsterry said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

He'll probably be busy telling them better ways to do their job soon anyway.
  • He hasn't told us how intelligent he is for a while either, that's due another go.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    ... meanwhile, we are searching around and still can't find out whether we're allowed to take our houseplants with us when we move to NI. We already know we'll have to eat our pieces before we get off the ferry.
    Benefits of Brexit, eh?
  • john80
    rjsterry said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Maybe you should use your creativity to see just how big a loophole this would have been.
  • john80

He hasn't told us how intelligent he is for a while either, that's due another go.

I will leave that to you.
  • Not often I agree with John but if you are going to inflict permanent economic harm at the cost of hundreds of billions to keep foreigners out then at least do it properly.

The list of suggested exceptions made the whole thing pointless, students, doctors, nurses, seasonal workers, chefs, au pairs, care home staff, people earning over £26k and now you want to add creative industries- why bother?

Lucky for the Irish that these tvvats see them as British as they are always near the top of the charts for immigration by country
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223

... meanwhile, we are searching around and still can't find out whether we're allowed to take our houseplants with us when we move to NI. We already know we'll have to eat our pieces before we get off the ferry.
    Benefits of Brexit, eh?

Ask Mr Raver
  • rjsterry
    edited February 2021
    john80 said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Maybe you should use your creativity to see just how big a loophole this would have been.
    This is built on so much misunderstanding it's difficult to know where to start. Think of it less as a loophole and more allowing our creative industries to continue to be the world leader that they are. Anyway you needn't worry: it won't happen with Johnson in charge and that large chunk of the nation's economy will wither like everything else he touches.

The idea that EU citizens claiming to be comedians would be a significant immigration route is very funny, though.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• ddraver
    Pross said:

Benefits of Brexit, eh?

Ask Mr Raver
    Will require and Phytosanitary certificate and pre-notification on TRACES. Suggest you just give them to a grateful (?) neighbour and buy some more when you're there

(It constantly flabbergasts me that Gove doesn't try and get a simple win on these sorts of things rather than trying to rewrite what he signed 6 weeks ago...)
    - @ddraver
  • rjsterry

Not often I agree with John but if you are going to inflict permanent economic harm at the cost of hundreds of billions to keep foreigners out then at least do it properly.

The list of suggested exceptions made the whole thing pointless, students, doctors, nurses, seasonal workers, chefs, au pairs, care home staff, people earning over £26k and now you want to add creative industries- why bother?

Lucky for the Irish that these tvvats see them as British as they are always near the top of the charts for immigration by country

No, I think John is quite happy with exceptions that suit him.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• elbowloh
    edited February 2021
    ddraver said:

Pross said:

Benefits of Brexit, eh?

Ask Mr Raver
    Will require and Phytosanitary certificate and pre-notification on TRACES. Suggest you just give them to a grateful (?) neighbour and buy some more when you're there

(It constantly flabbergasts me that Gove doesn't try and get a simple win on these sorts of things rather than trying to rewrite what he signed 6 weeks ago...)
    Which have been imported from the EU, because the garden centres can't source what they need in the UK any longer!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • This au paire thing is just class warfare.

People wanting to take things away or spoil them from others.

Quite. Plus also ignores the massive cost of FT childcare outside the home.
    Having 2 kids under 5 in the SE, in full time nursery would take up a majority of a even a £60K a year salary - that's someone paying some tax at 40%, who is basically working to pay for childcare plus a few hundred quid left - no wonder many consider it's not worth it, or look down the au paire route.

• ddraver
    elbowloh said:

ddraver said:

Pross said:

Benefits of Brexit, eh?

Ask Mr Raver

Which have been imported from the EU, because the garden centres can't source what they need in the UK any longer!
    Yep, Single Markets and Customs Unions are pretty neat eh? Almost as if they make trade more....free? 🤔
    - @ddraver
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

@Stevo_666 can I ask what Industry / sector you're in?

Because there is a shed-load of continuing issues in Food. Which is kind of relevant to everyone who eats i.e. everyone.

And yes, we don't need to eat shellfish, but a lot of our biggest consumption / manufactured products rely on imports / exports, for inputs (ingredients, packaging etc) or exporting finished goods.

Any cost increases (because of additional trade friction or increased transport costs) impacts the end consumer due to the relative (compared to cars, TVs etc) low price of food items and the fact food isn't discretionary spend. Sadly, many of those who voted for Brexit (lower income households in deprived areas) will be disproportionately impacted, as they spend relatively more of their disposable income on food.

It's also pretty important for jobs:

The food sector in GB employed 3.5 million people in Q1 2018 (3.9 million if agriculture and fishing are included along with self-employed farmers), a 1.0% increase on a year earlier. It covered 12% of GB employment in Q1 2018 (13% if agriculture and fishing are included along with self-employed farmers).

400K jobs are in manufacturing.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/food-statistics-pocketbook-2017/food-statistics-in-your-pocket-2017-food-chain#:~:text=The food sector3 in,with self-employed farmers).

Not sure there is a ready made pigeon hole for what we do as we provide a mix of hardware and services. But for the hardware side which is what is in point here, I would describe us as electronic equipment. Without giving too much away....
    Ok - so not stuff that average man in the street needs to buy everyday.

Not looking for a fight, but am highlighting that while it may be looking ok for one type of business, there are plenty that are having issues, and those issues have potential serious consequences for many people's jobs and the population at large.
    Fair enough, I can only comment in detail on my own groups operations, although the evidence we have had from comparable groups and the 'grapevine' is similar, with one noticeable differentiator being how well they prepped for this.

On the food side I can only comment as a consumer and haven't noticed anything amiss in terms of shortages or price hikes.
    My understanding is inbound isn't much of an issue at the moment (as stuff is being waved through to some degree) but plenty of exporting businesses are having issues or just seeing orders drop off - that will impact jobs.

I've been party to a 50-odd email exchange between one of our Supply Chain reps and a customer because of some debates between hauliers / agents about paperwork and certs requirements / responsibilities. It will get solved in this instance but it's all cost and no wonder many customers will look elsewhere than the UK. We generally had everything lined up ok but it only takes one overlooked situation to cause a ball-ache of issues.
  • pangolin

This au paire thing is just class warfare.

Having 2 kids under 5 in the SE, in full time nursery would take up a majority of a even a £60K a year salary - that's someone paying some tax at 40%, who is basically working to pay for childcare plus a few hundred quid left - no wonder many consider it's not worth it, or look down the au paire route.

This would only apply until they are 3 and start receiving free childcare hours (unless you're earning over 100k net adjusted).

Factor in maternity / paternity leave and the amount of time both children would be under 3 and both parents are trying to work is more like a year.

It is very expensive for that period though.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin said:

This au paire thing is just class warfare.

This would only apply until they are 3 and start receiving free childcare hours (unless you're earning over 100k net adjusted).

Factor in maternity / paternity leave and the amount of time both children would be under 3 and both parents are trying to work is more like a year.

It is very expensive for that period though.
    Correct - except 'free' is 30 hours a week for 38 weeks (term times) a year. If you need wrap-around care (7.30am - 6.30pm, as most people with a bit of 'normal world' commute would) it's 22 hrs a week year round - basically 2 of 5 days. So still more than half the cost for the older kid, and prob at least 50% of the total take home from the second earner for the 2 kids.

Anyone with twins is knackered.
  • pangolin
    Yes, hence why I said free childcare hours not just free childcare.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono