BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,765

Well I'm glad the Bank of England is rightly playing to the domestic audience.

They are right to warn of the dangers of economic nationalism. They have spent the last 5 years warning the UK about it and it did not listen.

Now, without the UK, the EU is likely to accelerate a form of regionalism where it seeks to establish the EU as a singular geopolitical force alongside the US and China in a sort of Voltron scenario.

The rhetoric is moving in that direction anyway; driven as I see it by the threat of China and an unreliable quasi-fascist US.

This does not bode well for the city of London or the UK as a whole as it will likely mean the EU are willing to give up the benefits of internationalism (read co-operation with the UK) in return for more geopolitical leverage.

Stevo - i'll make it really plain. Carney is using the same argument for EU co-operation with the UK as he did for Remain. That you did not find his argument convincing suggests that your equivalents for the EU side won't either.

The focus on "sovereignty" during the Brexit negs cuts both ways. You are advocating cake-sim again.

The trade deal is thin as it is focused on sovereignty so that is the objective of it - why would the EU not want its own competitive FS system?

Not sure you're getting the point. Sure the EU wants its own competitive FS system; the point being made above is that its current actions risk causing it damage.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666 said:

They are right to warn of the dangers of economic nationalism. They have spent the last 5 years warning the UK about it and it did not listen.

Now, without the UK, the EU is likely to accelerate a form of regionalism where it seeks to establish the EU as a singular geopolitical force alongside the US and China in a sort of Voltron scenario.

The rhetoric is moving in that direction anyway; driven as I see it by the threat of China and an unreliable quasi-fascist US.

This does not bode well for the city of London or the UK as a whole as it will likely mean the EU are willing to give up the benefits of internationalism (read co-operation with the UK) in return for more geopolitical leverage.

Stevo - i'll make it really plain. Carney is using the same argument for EU co-operation with the UK as he did for Remain. That you did not find his argument convincing suggests that your equivalents for the EU side won't either.

The focus on "sovereignty" during the Brexit negs cuts both ways. You are advocating cake-sim again.

The trade deal is thin as it is focused on sovereignty so that is the objective of it - why would the EU not want its own competitive FS system?

Not sure you're getting the point. Sure the EU wants its own competitive FS system; the point being made above is that its current actions risk causing it damage.
    Heaven forbid.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Stevo_666 said:

Whoosh
  • rick_chasey
    edited February 2021

This echoes conversations my colleagues are having
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

It seems inevitable to me. Hard to imagine when you’re a global player but if the practicalities support being inside the Eu, the money and power will move.

The London being a global powerhouse only holds water if it retains advantages. Those are being eroded.

It’s naive to think you’re too big to be overtaken.

As I’ve said before, getting UK governments to look at facilitating the economy outside of FS is no bad thing but I never thought (or argued) it would come at the expense of FS being sold down the river.
  • Stevo_666
    edited February 2021

Stevo_666 said:

Whoosh
    For you, maybe as you don't seem to have grasped the point I was making. And your lack of a substantive response tell me you have no real counter argument. Unless you're withholding it to try to look clever?

Just fyi, being condescending doesn't win arguments.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Stevo_666 said:

being condescending doesn't win arguments.

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Whoosh
    For you, maybe as you don't seem to have grasped the point I was making. And your lack of a substantive response tell me you have no real counter argument. Unless you're withholding it to try to look clever?

Read what I wrote and try again. I’ve bolder the bit to help.
  • Stevo_666
    edited February 2021
    ddraver said:

Stevo_666 said:

being condescending doesn't win arguments.

Another value added post from a forum member who owes his current job to Brexit. Irony? ;)
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Whoosh

Read what I wrote and try again. I’ve bolder the bit to help.
    Ive re-read 'whoosh' and it still, isn't a very good counter argument.
  • rick_chasey
    Ok why do you support brexit despite the cost?

Now imagine you are French and apply the same logic.
  • rick_chasey
    “The sky won’t fall in if borrowing costs are more expensive for a bit.

We can take the prize jewel off the Brits and in 15 years they will rue their mistake through their crooked British teeth and cry into their lukewarm beer”
  • morstar said:

It seems inevitable to me. Hard to imagine when you’re a global player but if the practicalities support being inside the Eu, the money and power will move.

The London being a global powerhouse only holds water if it retains advantages. Those are being eroded.

It’s naive to think you’re too big to be overtaken.

As I’ve said before, getting UK governments to look at facilitating the economy outside of FS is no bad thing but I never thought (or argued) it would come at the expense of FS being sold down the river.
    All a known, and acceptable, cost of Brexit.

I think the only surprise is the speed but that be a perception thing as they are chipping away the easiest bits and then we will see a gradual dwindling. There will be the odd eyebrow raiser but in general it will go below the radar.
  • ddraver
    - @ddraver
  • Stevo_666

It's not a case of supporting something - obviously Brexit is a fact, it has already happened and continually moaning about it after the fact is not particularly useful - so why do you continue to do it?

I've consistently taken the view that as we took a democratic decision to leave, we need to make the most of it.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,019

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • morstar
    edited February 2021
    Stevo_666 said:

It's not a case of supporting something - obviously Brexit is a fact, it has already happened and continually moaning about it after the fact is not particularly useful - so why do you continue to do it?

I've consistently taken the view that as we took a democratic decision to leave, we need to make the most of it.
    I agree that there are some opportunities and we do need to look forward but completely disagree about not analysing the effects.

It was a significant political promise/decision made on some extremely questionable promises. Those who made the ones that were blatantly untrue should be asked to explain themselves.

Any major project undertaken in most organisations will have a review process of what worked and what didn’t and this uncovers a lot of obvious stuff but usually some unforeseen wins and losses too. To not carry out this analysis leaves the project incomplete.

TBH, the moaning mantra seems more of a lazy attempt to silence criticism.
  • Stevo_666 said:

you do not understand the eu taking decisions on FS that are economically harmful to them.

You are fully supportive of the UK taking decisions on FS that are economically harmful to them
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    edited February 2021
    Stevo_666 said:

Theres not much to make the most of at the moment. It's enough to make a thin gruel.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,678
    morstar said:

Stevo_666 said:

I agree that there are some opportunities and we do need to look forward but completely disagree about not analysing the effects.

It was a significant political promise/decision made on some extremely questionable promises. Those who made the ones that were blatantly untrue should be asked to explain themselves.

Any major project undertaken in most organisations will have a review process of what worked and what didn’t and this uncovers a lot of obvious stuff but usually some unforeseen wins and losses too. To not carry out this analysis leaves the project incomplete.

Nick Cohen makes CS appear positively chipper... https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/feb/13/in-the-fairytale-land-of-brexit-were-trading-with-the-world-its-a-fantasy
  • ddraver
    elbowloh said:

Theres not much to make the most of at the moment. It's enough to make a thin gruel.

This!
    Stevo_666 said:

From a forum member who owes his current job to Brexit. Irony? ;)

If the best thing to come out of Brexit is me getting a job that isn't where I want it to be and pays less that 50% of the old one...it ain't good.

You're an accountant, you should understand the numbers bit at least

- @ddraver
  • morstar

morstar said:

Stevo_666 said:

Nick Cohen makes CS appear positively chipper... https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/feb/13/in-the-fairytale-land-of-brexit-were-trading-with-the-world-its-a-fantasy
    I’m not sure. He sits on the fence a little ;)

Although I do think Labour are understandably reticent to wade in. It was a right wing influenced project but the support was across party lines.
    It needs to be allowed to unravel and reveal its true nature before ripping a new one on the lies.
    Arlene can go fuck herself though. Admittedly that adds little to the debate but no fucking sympathy at all other than for anybody who is threatened by any possible increase in violence on the Emerald isle.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Relations with NI are back to 'leaking 'plans' for a bridge/tunnel to Christopher Hope in the Telegraph'

Again
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey

Relations with NI are back to 'leaking 'plans' for a bridge/tunnel to Christopher Hope in the Telegraph'

Again

Yeah how does this stop customs checks?
  • morstar

Again

Yeah how does this stop customs checks?
    Presumably some creative interpretation of a land connection.
  • morstar
    There is a re-balancing effect though.
    Whilst I’m not going to suggest for one second that Brexit is an overall good thing, there is inward investment in UK as a direct result of Brexit.

UK owned company I worked for until end of 2017 was bought by a Dutch company explicitly to Brexit proof their UK market.

We’ve severely weakened ourselves but there is still a large economy to be dealt with and if you want to benefit from that market, you have to be in it.

The idea that everybody is going to turn their backs on a top 10 global economy that has a trade deficit is incredibly naive.
  • rick_chasey
    Who is saying that?

I feel people read these things and extrapolate the position to a point where it isn’t there.

Have you read the article? It refers specifically to small companies.

Your sub 20 fte firm does not have the scale go bridge the bureaucratic gap
  • morstar

Who is saying that?

I feel people read these things and extrapolate the position to a point where it isn’t there.

Have you read the article? It refers specifically to small companies.

Your sub 20 fte firm does not have the scale go bridge the bureaucratic gap

Read as much as the paywall would let me which was about 100 words.

The importers / exporters will find a way is my point.

The small shop the article leads with is in a bad spot. I’m not a Brexit supporter so not going to excuse that.

However, the German manufacturers of said products that have a worthwhile UK market are going to find a way to support that market in a best of a bad job way.

The opening suggestion is that they will simply walk away. Sure some will, but the gaps will get closed if the demand is there.

All these bike companies abandoning UK sales have given up due to hassle. Fair enough as bikes are in demand anyway so why deal with a more difficult market than you need to. Does that mean nobody is going to sell bikes in the UK? No.

It is a massive (and unnecessary) adjustment period but that is all it is with regard to imports.

It is the exports and outward trade where we have cut our arm off.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,145

Again

He really must be struggling to keep a straight face as he types.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition