BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    Stevo_666 said:

Although it has been picking up over the last few years and currently exceeds inflation - i.e. there is real wage growth.

https://ons.gov.uk/economy/grossdomesticproductgdp/timeseries/kgq2/qna

Are you talking about official inflation or the actual, real inflation that most of us bear the cost of?
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,573
    Longshot said:

Stevo_666 said:

Although it has been picking up over the last few years and currently exceeds inflation - i.e. there is real wage growth.

Are you talking about official inflation or the actual, real inflation that most of us bear the cost of?
    Official. What are the figures for your 'real' inflation?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Longshot
    Stevo_666 said:

Longshot said:

Stevo_666 said:

Something more than the official number.
  • Stevo_666
    Longshot said:

Stevo_666 said:

Longshot said:

Stevo_666 said:

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Bit difficult to debate the point without any information or support though, so I have to stick with the info I have.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Longshot
    Stevo_666 said:

Longshot said:

Stevo_666 said:

Longshot said:

Stevo_666 said:

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Bit difficult to debate the point without any information or support though, so I have to stick with the info I have.
    I wasn't criticising your point, just making a different one.

I haven't done sufficiently detailed calculations to provide a number but I know that my basic costs of living have increased more than the official inflation figure for many years.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,643
    haydenm said:

haydenm said:

He didn't ask if you thought it would be a success. He asked if you hoped it would be.

I'll make more money if it goes well so probably that then. Again, I don't see what the relevance is.
    Aren't you able to benefit from the one trillion trees thing?
    Maybe but it would depend on how it is set up. How will the land become available, who will own it, who will be allowed to invest, that sort of thing. If it's just a government will then it counts for nothing really. We've had grand aims to plant thousands of hectares for over 20 years but it doesn't happen, a significant element of the new planting which does happen is down to us.

The two main reasons tree planting doesn't meet current government targets in the UK are lack of available land, and statutory consultees (including government agencies) making it very difficult. The available land element may change as they are apparently linking agricultural grants to environmental benefit post Brexit (potentially very good), but the second element will not change anytime soon.

It's very very difficult to accurately model the IRR of a new planting scheme before purchase when 20% of the predicted area ends up not planted for unpredictable reasons. It's very hard to convince investors to take on huge amounts of risk for returns they can get in existing forestry even when the target area is planted in full. Sticking to buying existing forest is safer in terms of assumptions, once you take a view on long term timber price.

Not optimistic on that front but those are my personal views. If you wanted to give me £15m I'm pretty sure I could get a solid return of 8% ish but I'd have to target it very carefully, which factors back into the available land issue.

The biggest impact will be down to continued low interest rates, inheritance tax changes or agricultural subsidy changes I imagine.
    Are your returns from selling timber or simply from a subsidy to plant or maintain forestry?
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997

haydenm said:

haydenm said:

He didn't ask if you thought it would be a success. He asked if you hoped it would be.

I'll make more money if it goes well so probably that then. Again, I don't see what the relevance is.
    Maybe but it would depend on how it is set up. How will the land become available, who will own it, who will be allowed to invest, that sort of thing. If it's just a government will then it counts for nothing really. We've had grand aims to plant thousands of hectares for over 20 years but it doesn't happen, a significant element of the new planting which does happen is down to us.

The two main reasons tree planting doesn't meet current government targets in the UK are lack of available land, and statutory consultees (including government agencies) making it very difficult. The available land element may change as they are apparently linking agricultural grants to environmental benefit post Brexit (potentially very good), but the second element will not change anytime soon.

It's very very difficult to accurately model the IRR of a new planting scheme before purchase when 20% of the predicted area ends up not planted for unpredictable reasons. It's very hard to convince investors to take on huge amounts of risk for returns they can get in existing forestry even when the target area is planted in full. Sticking to buying existing forest is safer in terms of assumptions, once you take a view on long term timber price.

Not optimistic on that front but those are my personal views. If you wanted to give me £15m I'm pretty sure I could get a solid return of 8% ish but I'd have to target it very carefully, which factors back into the available land issue.

The biggest impact will be down to continued low interest rates, inheritance tax changes or agricultural subsidy changes I imagine.
    Are your returns from selling timber or simply from a subsidy to plant or maintain forestry?
    Selling timber. Our investors are interested in a combination of timber income and forest value depending on gearing and tax objectives. Quite hard to separate the two obviously, but some have a higher demand for cash. The only time grant income might play a part in the overall return is in new planting schemes but that goes a small way to offset the inflated value of sheep farms due to CAP, and the schemes would probably go ahead without it. Planting grant is in the ballpark of the upfront cost of the planting work, we are more interested in the purchase price and the forest value in the future which obviously depends on how fast the trees are growing
  • Stevo_666
    Longshot said:

Stevo_666 said:

Longshot said:

Stevo_666 said:

Longshot said:

Stevo_666 said:

I wasn't criticising your point, just making a different one.

I haven't done sufficiently detailed calculations to provide a number but I know that my basic costs of living have increased more than the official inflation figure for many years.
    I didn't take it as that, I was just pointing out that its difficult to debate something like that with no info.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,643
    edited January 2020
    haydenm said:

haydenm said:

haydenm said:

Selling timber. Our investors are interested in a combination of timber income and forest value depending on gearing and tax objectives. Quite hard to separate the two obviously, but some have a higher demand for cash. The only time grant income might play a part in the overall return is in new planting schemes but that goes a small way to offset the inflated value of sheep farms due to CAP, and the schemes would probably go ahead without it. Planting grant is in the ballpark of the upfront cost of the planting work, we are more interested in the purchase price and the forest value in the future which obviously depends on how fast the trees are growing
    Thanks for the explanation. I can see how changes to CAP and IHT could be game changers in terms of an exit value. Still, it's green and provides long term investment, so I could imagine a reasonable amount of interest.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    So, when all the forecasts were saying Brexit would be an economic disaster we were told that the forecasts are bollox. Now, the forecasts are saying that the economy may grow at 0.01 above the EU, we should are being told that its proof that Brexit will be a success.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh said:

So, when all the forecasts were saying Brexit would be an economic disaster we were told that the forecasts are bollox. Now, the forecasts are saying that the economy may grow at 0.01 above the EU, we should are being told that its proof that Brexit will be a success.

As you can probably guess the credibility of economic forecasters is very low with me.

When I view forecasts now I ask myself if there is political bias behind it and I cannot see one with this forecast, unless their forecast is trying to influence the UK-EU trade negotiations.

I see from your comment that you have yet to learn the lesson about politically motivated forecasts from the referendum.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

elbowloh said:

As you can probably guess the credibility of economic forecasters is very low with me.

When I view forecasts now I ask myself if there is political bias behind it and I cannot see one with this forecast, unless their forecast is trying to influence the UK-EU trade negotiations.

I see from your comment that you have yet to learn the lesson about politically motivated forecasts from the referendum.
    I'm too old to learn any new lessons. Just too entrenched in my own views like everyone else ;-)
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Longshot

elbowloh said:

For a long time I have treated climate change forecasts with a similar cynicism. I'm not in denial, just don't entirely trust either side's figures. The biggest give away for me is they always pick a timeframe that absolutely serves their purpose.

"Over the last 113 years..."
    "Since the middle of the last Ice Age, you can clearly see the earth has heated up..."

The Brexit forecasts were no different and were absolutely politically motivated.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,702
    Longshot said:

elbowloh said:

I'm not in denial, just don't entirely trust either side's figures.

1. That's scepticism, not cynicism.
    2. Look at the original report not the half-arsed summary and make your own mind up rather than thinking about everything in terms of sides.
    3. In the case of the IMF forecasts, how on earth do you ascribe them as pro or anti Brexit?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941

PARLY
    @PARLYapp
    ·
    31m
    The EU withdrawal agreement bill has finished its parliamentary stages and awaits Royal Assent.

So we leave the EU on 31st Jan at 11pm *

*or not depending where you live and what definition of Brexit the Brexiteers are working to now.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Stevo_666

PARLY
    @PARLYapp
    ·
    31m
    The EU withdrawal agreement bill has finished its parliamentary stages and awaits Royal Assent.

*or not depending where you live and what definition of Brexit the Brexiteers are working to now.

I think we knew that on 13th December.
  • tailwindhome
    Stevo_666 said:

PARLY
    @PARLYapp
    ·
    31m

In fairness, that's what I said when you were whinging that no one had mentioned the passing the bill at the committee stage
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Longshot
    rjsterry said:

Longshot said:

elbowloh said:

2. Look at the original report not the half-arsed summary and make your own mind up rather than thinking about everything in terms of sides.
    3. In the case of the IMF forecasts, how on earth do you ascribe them as pro or anti Brexit?
    I wasn't referring to the figures you posted.
  • Stevo_666
    edited January 2020

Stevo_666 said:

PARLY
    @PARLYapp
    ·
    31m

In fairness, that's what I said when you were whinging that no one had mentioned the passing the bill at the committee stage
    I'm not saying you didn't realise, it just seemed like a bit of an obvious point to make. However you need to distinguish between whingeing and making an observation about whingers ;)

Anyhow, it's the final countdown now. I'm sure there;'s a song about that...
  • tailwindhome
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

PARLY
    @PARLYapp
    ·
    31m

I'm not saying you didn't realise, it just seemed like a bit of an obvious point to make. However you need to distinguish between whingeing and making an observation about whingers ;)

We're on the one road
    Sharing the one load
    We're on the road to God knows where
    We're on the one road
    It may be the wrong road
    But we're together now who cares
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

PARLY
    @PARLYapp
    ·
    31m

We're on the one road
    Sharing the one load
    We're on the one road
    It may be the wrong road
    More like this - appropriate on more than one level:-
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw

"We're leaving together,
    But still it's farewell.
    And maybe we'll come back
    To earth, who can tell?
    I guess there is no one to blame
    We're leaving ground (leaving ground)
    Will things ever be the same again?

It's the final countdown.
    The final countdown"

They could save a few quid by piping this out of some speakers attached to Big Ben a week on Friday, instead of that daft bell ringing idea :)
  • tailwindhome
    edited January 2020
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

PARLY
    @PARLYapp
    ·
    31m

We're on the one road
    Sharing the one load
    We're on the one road
    It may be the wrong road

"We're leaving together,
    But still it's farewell.
    To earth, who can tell?

The final countdown"

They could save a few quid by piping this out of some speakers attached to Big Ben a week on Friday, instead of that daft bell ringing idea :)
    :smile:

I think I may have mentioned 1300 pages back Europe (the band) would be in for a royalties windfall.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,702
    Longshot said:

rjsterry said:

Longshot said:

elbowloh said:

I wasn't referring to the figures you posted.
    Fair enough. 1 and 2 still apply to any published set of figures.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

PARLY
    @PARLYapp
    ·
    31m

We're on the one road
    Sharing the one load
    We're on the one road
    It may be the wrong road

"We're leaving together,
    But still it's farewell.
    To earth, who can tell?

The final countdown"

:smile:

I think I may have mentioned 1300 pages back Europe (the band) would be in for a royalties windfall.

Good foresight. I did think a while back that the Communards could get some royalties from the Remainer camp:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=1RHBAd5YUR8
  • Longshot
    edited January 2020
    Stevo_666 said:

I'm pretty sure there are some strong candidates.

• tailwindhome
    The Withdrawal Act has been given Royal Assent

• And the Spectator has awarded its parliamentarian of the year award to... Boris Johnson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aItpjF5vXc
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,806
    edited January 2020
    Back in December. Just saying...
    pblakeney said:

Theme tune -
    Talking Heads, Road To Nowhere.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    Anyone watching Ed Balls' 'Travels in Euroland'? Very interesting take on The Netherlands.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    Ah that’s one debate I steer well clear of.