BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    He only brought the folder to show he wasn't like David Davis who turned up without any paperwork.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh
    bompington wrote:
    So, Johnson: on a scale of 1 to 10, how obvious is it that every single word that comes out of his mouth these days is a dog whistle to the voters he's hoping to entice from the BP, and only them? And that that is the sum total of his (Cummings') strategy?

Polls would suggest it's working as per my posts earlier.

If he wins a general election with 35% of the vote, he will treat it as if it is a referendum win for no-deal.
    Indeed, but hopefully there won't be another GE for a while.

We've already had one since the referendum, we don't need another.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    So, Johnson: on a scale of 1 to 10, how obvious is it that every single word that comes out of his mouth these days is a dog whistle to the voters he's hoping to entice from the BP, and only them? And that that is the sum total of his (Cummings') strategy?

If he wins a general election with 35% of the vote, he will treat it as if it is a referendum win for no-deal.

Sure. Sure.
  • BJ Empty chaired.
    2926.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=9879ea854c2ac2e28af6977cf7df6933
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    elbowloh wrote:
    bompington wrote:

Sure. Sure.
    I think he's right, but we'll end up with a GE anyway.

Something needs to happen one way or another and a 2nd ref seems to be completely toxic.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,758
    BJ Empty chaired.
    2926.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=9879ea854c2ac2e28af6977cf7df6933

When the Hulk stayed inside because a group of about 30 people were shouting.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry wrote:
    BJ Empty chaired.

When the Hulk stayed inside because a group of about 30 people were shouting.
    Dom-Cum is gonna be spitting over this...
  • bobmcstuff wrote:
    I think he's right, but we'll end up with a GE anyway.

Something needs to happen one way or another and a 2nd ref seems to be completely toxic.

If you are going to treat the result of an election as if it were a referendum, there's only one reason to have an election instead of a referendum on no-deal.

It's the same reason why a 2nd ref would be viewed as toxic by those who want a no-deal.
  • BJ Empty chaired.

Where's the tub of lard?
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • Blah blah blah chlorinated chicken blah blah
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    morstar wrote:
    Is there a possibility that BJ's refusal to accept an extension can be equally interpreted that the deal will be forced through.
    Effectively kick the can down the road on the backstop. i.e. deal with that if and when it becomes likely.
    Is he playing both hands like TM. Trying to force Eu to bend while simultaneously making the May deal more palatable to HoC? Same tactic, just presented very differently?
    pretty much my view, he's presenting the "no-deal" option as a threat to EU when it's actually a threat to parliament.
    Glad it's not just me. The message of don't even bother offering an extension is so counter to the law stating he must ask for one (if no deal agreed) means he is either 100% committed to no-deal and has a plan, or that he is trying to force parliament to vote for the deal for fear of the cunning plan.
    His single measure of success is 31/10/2019. If he accepts he can't bend the Eu and his hands are tied with No deal, he has to bend parliament.
    If he does get the deal through parliament by 31/10, it would be quite an accomplishment.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Junglebook

Buzzie: [to Flaps] Okay, so what we gonna do?
    Flaps: I don’t know, what you wanna do?
    Buzzie: Look, Flaps, first I say, “What we gonna do?” Then you say, “I don’t know, what you wanna do?” Then I say, “What we gonna do?” You say, “What you wanna do?” “What we gonna do?” “What you want…” Let’s do SOMETHING!
    Flaps: Okay. What you wanna do?
    Buzzie: Oh, blimey! There you go again. The same notes again!
    Ziggy: I’ve got it! This time, I’ve really got it!
    Buzzie: Now you’ve got it. So what we gonna do?
  • BJ Empty chaired.

As you'd expect reaction to this is split along Remain/Leave lines.

However, I don't think it's partisan to say that Johnson's premiership is starting to get that air that nothing can go right.
    That's tough to turn around.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,864
    You know things are messed up when our Prime Minister is a BJ.
    And that is seems quite appropriate at that.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    BJ Empty chaired.

However, I don't think it's partisan to say that Johnson's premiership is starting to get that air that nothing can go right.
    I genuinely don't think he will be judged a failure until after his premiership ends or Brexit goes through and is a sh*t show.
    There is enough of the electorate who accept he is being stopped from leading solely along Brexit divisions. There is nothing to turn around until that carefully crafted excuse no longer applies.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,817
    BJ Empty chaired.

Mmmm I think the latter is overrated. As long as the message keeps getting through.

I think the US is illustrative not just in terms of the Trump/BoJo comparisons, but more in terms of the election winner is likely to be the side who energises their base the most, because so much of the population is already polarised.

If you take the Leave/Remain split in the UK as both relatively even and static, it's about how many of the leave/remain voters (whichever side you pick) you can get to vote for you.

Tories are gunning for Brexit party votes, remain voters are split between LDs and Labour.

I think the Tories are doing a good job. It's not genius stuff, but I *do* think Cummings has a good sense for what cuts through the noise to voters and what is noise.

As far as I can tell it's working. BoJo is all over the TV in campaign mode saying things to Brexit Party voters. I can't remember the last time i saw Corbyn or Swinson on TV.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,317
    edited September 2019
    Mmmm I think the latter is overrated. As long as the message keeps getting through.

I think the US is illustrative not just in terms of the Trump/BoJo comparisons, but more in terms of the election winner is likely to be the side who energises their base the most, because so much of the population is already polarised.

If you take the Leave/Remain split in the UK as both relatively even and static, it's about how many of the leave/remain voters (whichever side you pick) you can get to vote for you.

Tories are gunning for Brexit party votes, remain voters are split between LDs and Labour.

I think the Tories are doing a good job. It's not genius stuff, but I *do* think Cummings has a good sense for what cuts through the noise to voters and what is noise.

As far as I can tell it's working. BoJo is all over the TV in campaign mode saying things to Brexit Party voters. I can't remember the last time i saw Corbyn or Swinson on TV.

He also knows that the cameras have to follow the PM. It's exactly the same with Trump - whatever he says is reported as news, whether it's an outright lie or blatant use of the office for electioneering.
  • rick_chasey
    Woah, don't take the "tories doing a good job" out of that very specific context...
  • I think the Tories are doing a good job.

What??
  • elbowloh

He also knows that the cameras have to follow the PM. It's exactly the same with Trump - whatever he says is reported as news, whether it's an outright lie or blatant use of the office for electioneering.
    I certainly despair over the state of the Labour party.

They have not provided an effective opposition as they can't even agree amongst themselves about what they actually stand for now, on Brexit as well as on pretty much any other issue. in the event of a GE, Conservative voters who don't like Boris or no-deal are not attracted to Labour and will turn to the Lib Dems, who do have a clear message, but will not win enough votes to form a government.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    I think the Tories are doing a good job.

What??
    Woah, don't take the "tories doing a good job" out of that very specific context...
  • I think the Tories are doing a good job.

What??
    very

Selective quoting at its finest. Proud of that.
  • In one limited area, I am fully supportive of Boris.

There is no way he should have done that press conference outside.
  • rjsterry
    In one limited area, I am fully supportive of Boris.

It suggests a lack of forethought. By now he should realise this is the situation he's built for himself and have briefed the Luxembourg team well ahead of time. Not cancelled with half an hour to go when it can be quite reasonably argued that everything is already set up and it's too late to change venue.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:

It suggests a lack of forethought. By now he should realise this is the situation he's built for himself and have briefed the Luxembourg team well ahead of time. Not cancelled with half an hour to go when it can be quite reasonably argued that everything is already set up and it's too late to change venue.

Plays well to the Brexit crowd, mind.
  • To be clear, Boris ran away from a press conference. Raahh, the Hulk!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,580
    seems clear that johnson is actually the incredible sulk
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:

Plays well to the Brexit crowd, mind.

So would nobly persevering while the 'yobbos' shouted in the background.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    I thought that ‘spoons boss’ drunken ramble was actually fairly on point when he said “they think we’re stupid....they do” or words to that effect.

Like Brexit punters give a sh!t about press conferences in Luxembourg. More reason to get rid of the buggers, right?

I reckon most people think anyone still engaged with day-to-day Westminster politics is some junkie mug. Parliament is just a loads tw@ts so give em all a kicking.
  • rjsterry
    I thought that ‘spoons boss’ drunken ramble was actually fairly on point when he said “they think we’re stupid....they do” or words to that effect.

Like Brexit punters give a sh!t about press conferences in Luxembourg. More reason to get rid of the buggers, right?

I reckon most people think anyone still engaged with day-to-day Westminster politics is some junkie mug. Parliament is just a loads tw@ts so give em all a kicking.

They'll still need to vote for someone come a GE and Johnson is just an MP like the other 649.
    Pinnacle Monzonite