BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,702
    Still, if all you need to do to embarrass Johnson is call a press conference, he needs to find some better staff. Maybe he should just stick to answering scripted questions on Facebook.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • I'm not sure the lib dems have much of clue either. Who else thinks there latest policy is going back fire.

I don't see how it can. They want to be the party of remain. If in some crazy twist of fate they win power, that's a pretty strong mandate for remain but even they aren't thinking that's a possibility. If they hold the balance of power, they fall back to the 2nd referendum they've been banging the drum for the last three years.

As many commentators and even a couple of their own MP's are warning, the Fib Dems may well have just started their demise back to a minority party with this policy as the only place they can go now once we leave the EU is as the "rejoin party". Everyone knows they are not going to get a majority to allow them to follow through with cancelling A50 so this is the only logical step for them.

This is a massive own goal for them as they are likely to been seen as an extremist party going forward.
  • I'm not sure the lib dems have much of clue either. Who else thinks there latest policy is going back fire.

I don't see how it can. They want to be the party of remain. If in some crazy twist of fate they win power, that's a pretty strong mandate for remain but even they aren't thinking that's a possibility. If they hold the balance of power, they fall back to the 2nd referendum they've been banging the drum for the last three years.

As many commentators and even a couple of their own MP's are warning, the Fib Dems may well have just started their demise back to a minority party with this policy as the only place they can go now once we leave the EU is as the "rejoin party". Everyone knows they are not going to get a majority to allow them to follow through with cancelling A50 so this is the only logical step for them.

This is a massive own goal for them as they are likely to been seen as an extremist party going forward.

Only three big mistakes in that comment. They already are a minority party. If we leave the EU, we aren't rejoining any time soon, so the important things will take over. They might still have a long term ambition to rejoin but it's not going to dominate. Among those who think they're right, they'll have been right at this moment. And they are never going to be seen as extremist, that's just stupid.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    the usual
    that's just stupid.
    Reduced it to the essential for you all.

But seriously, the only party that's actively campaigning for the status quo, extremist? The party campaigning for the outcome that was favoured by nearly half the people who voted in the ref, extremist? Coopster is full of mince at the best of times but I'm really getting quite tired of the Trump/dezinformatsiya blatant lies.

Only three big mistakes in that comment. They already are a minority party. If we leave the EU, we aren't rejoining any time soon, so the important things will take over. They might still have a long term ambition to rejoin but it's not going to dominate. Among those who think they're right, they'll have been right at this moment. And they are never going to be seen as extremist, that's just stupid.

Hard to argue they are not extremists when their new position is publicly criticised by Caroline Lucas because it is undemocratic :lol:

I know we are not rejoining once we have left, however the Fib Dems have now backed themselves into a corner with this position which means their future position can only be rejoin. Glad you admit that position is unsellable to the electorate.

I personally don't care but am putting forward the real world view of them rather than what this forum believes to be true.

I am really enjoying that all they are doing is cannibalising the remain vote thus making it less likely they or the Labour Party have any chance of getting into power.
  • I know we are not rejoining once we have left, however the Fib Dems have now backed themselves into a corner with this position which means their future position can only be rejoin. Glad you admit that position is unsellable to the electorate.

a) that's not how politics works, b) that's not what I said.

Otherwise, spot on. Keep fighting the good fight on behalf of the truth.
  • rjsterry
    We can add "extremist" to "undemocratic" in the list of words so misused that they barely have meaning and are now just insults.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Imagine if, in normal times, your major policy for an upcoming election had the previously expressed support of 16,141,241m people. I'm not saying it's a good idea but it's hardly extremist given a bit of perspective.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,644
    rjsterry wrote:
    We can add "extremist" to "undemocratic" in the list of words so misused that they barely have meaning and are now just insults.

Extremism is always misused as it is fundamentally a relative measure. It has no place in sensible discussions in my view.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I'm not sure the lib dems have much of clue either. Who else thinks there latest policy is going back fire.

16million people or 48% of the electorate voted to remain. If the lib dems represent that view, it's not really very extreme.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk

Hard to argue they are not extremists when their new position is publicly criticised by Caroline Lucas because it is undemocratic :lol:

I know we are not rejoining once we have left, however the Fib Dems have now backed themselves into a corner with this position which means their future position can only be rejoin. Glad you admit that position is unsellable to the electorate.

I personally don't care but am putting forward the real world view of them rather than what this forum believes to be true.

I am really enjoying that all they are doing is cannibalising the remain vote thus making it less likely they or the Labour Party have any chance of getting into power.

How can their position be unsellable to the electorate but cannibalise the remain vote?

You make the mistake of assuming your view is the 'real world view'
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    He doesn't know what words mean.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Said it before and I'll say it again - if everyone just stops engaging with this absurd trollbot, he might just fck off. He won't if you keep replying.
  • He thinks that if we leave, all the people who currently want to remain will not want to rejoin, but the party who currently want to remain will be forced to have rejoin as their flagship policy. This is because of... and that's the bit I need Coopster to explain.

I think it's just boIlocks.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

The frightening thing is that he is probably of above average intelligence...... But this is why we are in this mess of course.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:

The frightening thing is that he is probably of above average intelligence...... But this is why we are in this mess of course.
    They have never once said what they think about brexit.
  • Imposter wrote:
    Said it before and I'll say it again - if everyone just stops engaging with this absurd trollbot, he might just fck off. He won't if you keep replying.

Why would you want a Brexit thread without an occasional incoherent pro-Brexit rant? Like it or not, he's the voice of a decent sized minority.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    Rolf F wrote:

The frightening thing is that he is probably of above average intelligence....

Really not.
  • rjsterry
    Imposter wrote:

Surely that is each individual member's call to make. It would be nice if he was a bit more civil, but I can cope with people disagreeing robustly. It would be really dull if everyone agreed.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Rolf F wrote:

The frightening thing is that he is probably of above average intelligence....

Really not.

It is a really low bar. Don't confuse the IQ of the Cake Stop regulars with that of the wider population.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • imposter2.0
    Imposter wrote:

Why would you want a Brexit thread without an occasional incoherent pro-Brexit rant? Like it or not, he's the voice of a decent sized minority.

It's the incoherent bit which pisses me off. If his first objective was to argue a point, I'd have more time for him. But his first objective is always to insult and demean. So he can fck right off. And yes, I'm aware of the irony in that statement ;)
  • I voted leave, I'd still vote leave faced with the same in/out option despite what's gone on.

I know I'm significantly above average intelligence and I know I Have a broader AND higher level of education than most.

The teeth gnashing and outrage is nearing its peak as it was always going to. Let's hope that one way or the other the issue is put to bed as soon as possible so we can get back to mocking northerners over a Chai Latte and feeling smug about ourselves and our superiority.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    I voted leave, I'd still vote leave faced with the same in/out option despite what's gone on.

I know I'm significantly above average intelligence and I know I Have a broader AND higher level of education than most.

As you're so bright and educated, can you fill the void, and tell us why leaving is such a good idea? No one has been able to do that yet.

Low syllable count in the words please.
  • imposter2.0

As above - maybe you could evidence that claim by providing a clear, unambiguous rationale for why you voted leave?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,573
    I voted leave, I'd still vote leave faced with the same in/out option despite what's gone on.

The teeth gnashing and outrage is nearing its peak as it was always going to. Let's hope that one way or the other the issue is put to bed as soon as possible so we can get back to mocking northerners over a Chai Latte and feeling smug about ourselves and our superiority.
    As a London based Northerner I should be offended by that. Any more lip from you and I'll start terrorising Londoners again.
    https://youtu.be/PT0ay9u1gg4
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696

A very stable genius, no less.
  • imposter2.0
    Robert88 wrote:

Many people are saying so...
  • What a covfefe
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Why is it always Brexiters who accuse others of teeth gnashing when it always appears to be them who are the most outraged by everything?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Imposter wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

Many people are saying so...

Very fine people.