Le Tour de Yorkshire ***Spoliers***

Comments

• milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Great racing and those time gaps set up the rest of the race as well.
  • shockedsoshocked
    shockedsoshocked Posts: 4,021
    Good hard route. Went to watch on the climb out of Rosedale. Kittel looked fucked, although he was spotted eating a full english in a York travel lodge yesterday morning.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    lyn1 wrote:
    Now that, right there, was what we all wish the hilly classics were about.
    A superb stage to watch.
    Great parcour no radios and the uber safe tactical approach that now dominates late April thrown out of the window with gay abandon.
    And this was only the intermediate stage.
    Roll on Sunday.

do you reckon it helps to have a roster of not 2nd tier but maybe just off the top shelf riders who have nothing to lose and everything to gain and a flood of lower riders showing themselves off?

very all in feel to that race

It also helps if a team that has the numbers and strength to control the race all the way to the finish lose half the team in a crash late on in the race.

yeah there was that... :D

thou they took advantage of the situation
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    Good hard route. Went to watch on the climb out of Rosedale. Kittel looked farked, although he was spotted eating a full english in a York travel lodge yesterday morning.

travel lodge english... class
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Wiggins + 15 mins
    Burton + 17mins

But Erick Roswell a very impressive 8th.

20150501333_20150501TDY4051.jpg
    20150501297_20150501TDY4045.jpg
    20150501285_20150501TDY4043.jpg

Lots of photos:
    http://www.letour.fr/tour-de-yorkshire/ ... llery.html
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Erick Roswell a very impressive 8th.

Rowsell. Jo's sister, riding for Madison Genesis not being chased by UFO's :wink:

Thanks for the link FF.
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    edited May 2015
    Was working down south so didn't get out to the coast today with my mates - they had a good day.

Very entertaining stage :)

Will probably nip over to York tomorrow, and will deffo be in Wakefield Sunday as my club have a little stand there. Will probably watch the start, hang out for a bit then cycle over to the finish in Leeds.
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    +1 to those saying stage 3 will be tougher than it looks. "Cote de" Scapegoat hill at Marsden is an absolute beast and that's just for starters.

...and the weather forecast looks horrendous.

I'm doing the Sportive, Sunday morning. Full wet weather gear I think and then watch the finish in Leeds.
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I managed to bizarrely win a spot in the VIP area at the finish courtesy of Festina, otherwise I wouldn't have turned out to watch for real. Great atmosphere at Scarborough and a brill race, it was more like a classic with the splintering of the groups.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Now that, right there, was what we all wish the hilly classics were about.
    A superb stage to watch.
    Great parcour no radios and the uber safe tactical approach that now dominates late April thrown out of the window with gay abandon.
    And this was only the intermediate stage.
    Roll on Sunday.
    Exactly what I was thinking. Just catching up with this and definitely didn't expect to see such a good race, quality stuff.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Latest on Swifty from the team ...

Ben Swift is hugely disappointed to have withdrawn from the Tour de Yorkshire, but relieved to have suffered no broken bones in his crash on the opening stage.
    Swift had been relishing the opportunity to compete in his home county, but was involved in a large crash in the last 70km on Friday which forced him to abandon the race. Swift was immediately transferred to Scarborough District Hospital, where X-Rays showed he had not sustained any fractures.
    Team Doctor Richard Usher accompanied Swift to the hospital, and after arriving back at the hotel, was able to shed more light on his injuries.
    Dr Usher said: "Ben fell and injured his right shoulder, and received some cuts to his elbow, hips and knee.
    "He was in a severe amount of pain at the time and unable to continue riding. We took him for X-Rays and these preliminary tests show that there are no bone fractures. Ben will go home tonight and undergo further scans tomorrow."

Read more at http://www.teamsky.com/teamsky/home%20c ... EKZterf.99
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    Really impressive ride by My Future Man, Scott Davies today. Still only 19 and doing more than his fair share in a pretty strong chase group. Good by Rowsell and Handley too.

The recipe for a good race seems to be:-

Course that's lumpy all day but with no really big climbs
    Not too many strong teams and smaller numbers per team
    Keep the route fairly short
    Possibly no radios but I think it's more a case that races with the above ingredients don't have radios.

I think the first plays a huge role, today reminded me a lot of the Dartmouth stage of the TOB a few years ago.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    You have to remember the disparity between the levels of the teams too. Part of what we saw today was the difference between ProTour and Pro Conti riders. One suspects that if the front group had been chasing they'd have pulled the second group back with ease. GvA managed it all on his own!

It reminds me of the ToB stage over Pen-y-Pass into Llangollen, which was that years "Big Mountain Stage" and was won in a sprint by Cav who barely looked like he'd turned a pedal until the last 200m! It's also the reason why a lot of womens racing is so much more attack heavy. The difference between the Voses, Armitsteads, PFPs etc and the young, semi pro, girls is stark. That gap just doesnt exist in the Pro Tour Peloton anymore.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    It was nice to see TV Tommy racing properly again rather than just gurning for the cameras in a forlorn move.

Good old fashioned tactics perfectly executed by Sky.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Pretty good finish there, nice bit of racing
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Pross wrote:
    Really impressive ride by My Future Man, Scott Davies today. Still only 19 and doing more than his fair share in a pretty strong chase group. Good by Rowsell and Handley too.

The recipe for a good race seems to be:-

Course that's lumpy all day but with no really big climbs
    Not too many strong teams and smaller numbers per team
    Keep the route fairly short
    Possibly no radios but I think it's more a case that races with the above ingredients don't have radios.

I think the first plays a huge role, today reminded me a lot of the Dartmouth stage of the TOB a few years ago.

I sense a whole new thread and rider category emerging here...
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    With regard to the race yes it was a great stage. For a lot of the smaller teams this is a big opportunity for sponsor exposure so they will want to mix it up and if the race languishes at any point some of the youngsters (of which there are a fair few) will be off like rats up drainpipes.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Today's stage finishes with two 20km circuits of York. Wiggo has said he will attack at some point during this race. What are the odds of him going solo as the race enters the finishing circuit?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    1 to 1 I'd say...

How long for and whether or not it's ahead or behind the Pelton is another matter though ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    +1 Sundays stage will be really tough - a constantly lumpy stage with no real flats finishing with 3 climbs in quick succession (cow&calf, east chevin and black hill) that could make for some havoc if the riders are up for it. East Chevin has the more sustained gradient of the three, I'll be there :)
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    3 and a half thousand metres of climbing on Sunday isn't it?

In perspective, LBL was 4,000 last week, so it's definately a tough test
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957

In perspective, LBL was 4,000 last week, so it's definitely a tough test

Flanders has about 2,400 for comparison.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788

Plus LBL is 85k longer, so the yorkshire stage is much hillier. I know these roads well, should be great.
  • disgruntledgoat
    I'm intrigued what any pro resident in Girona or Monaco will make of Wakey. I always wondered the same when the ToB had a finish in Blackpool.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642

Wow that's a ton. Looking froward to it. Lets hope there is enough talent in the field to make the most of it.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    I'll be there :)
    me too. just need to iron my mankini :shock:
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    I'm intrigued what any pro resident in Girona or Monaco will make of Wakey. I always wondered the same when the ToB had a finish in Blackpool.

Because no other bike races start or finish in down-on-their-luck, post-industrial towns? Seriously, have you *seen* Roubaix?

After all, cycling is historically a working class sport.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • disgruntledgoat
    The_Boy wrote:

Because no other bike races start or finish in down-on-their-luck, post-industrial towns? Seriously, have you *seen* Roubaix?

Relax, I'm joking.

@gietvangent
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    The_Boy wrote:

Relax, I'm joking.

I know, but my point is that the joke doesn't really work - pro riders spend much of their working life in places like Wakefield and Blackpool.

Granted Blackpool rock or a Yorkshire pud might be a bit of a novelty.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • lyn1
    lyn1 Posts: 261
    ddraver wrote:
    You have to remember the disparity between the levels of the teams too. Part of what we saw today was the difference between ProTour and Pro Conti riders. One suspects that if the front group had been chasing they'd have pulled the second group back with ease.

But 2 of the front group of 5 were Pro Conti and most of the work in the chase was done by Conti riders. Bit unclear, unless you mean Conti rather than Pro Conti